IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2022, 08:20 PM   #1
d4m10n
Philosopher

Srivan Krishna nominated for King of Trolls

These signs are amazing and Texas could've done so much worse.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/31/11202...s-chaz-stevens

Last edited by d4m10n; 31st August 2022 at 08:22 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 10:48 AM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He just exposed the new law for what it really is: the GOP attempt to insert the Christian religion into schools. Kudos to him.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 10:54 AM   #3
Warp12
King of Kings

I have to say, the signs in schools don't bother me...and I am not a believer.

Take if off of money, and then we have something to talk about.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:01 AM   #4
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

Take if off of money, and then we have something to talk about.
Huh?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:04 AM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Huh?
"In God We Trust" is on US currency.

Seems silly to whine about some posters on a wall, if that is allowed to stand.

Quote:
"In God We Trust" (also rendered as "In God we trust") is the official motto of the United States and of the U.S. state of Florida.It was adopted by the U.S. Congress in 1956, replacing E pluribus unum, which had been the de facto motto since the initial design of the Great Seal of the United States.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 11:06 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:06 AM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Take if off of money
, and then we have something to talk about.
How do you justify one but not the other? They both promote religion by a government, one federal and the other state.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:08 AM   #7
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Huh?
Back in 1955, the US added "In God We Trust" to all our currency as a reaction to the "godless" commies we were worried about.

I think Warp is saying that if we don't remove it from our dollar bills then we shouldn't complain about it being required to be posted in schools. It's both a false equivalence (because most of us don't even handle physical money more than a couple times a year while schoolchildren do go to school every day) and a 'you can't complain about one thing unless you fix a much thornier problem first' dodge.

Fine, I say, get the violation of the 1st Amendment off our currency and our school walls.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:12 AM   #8
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
How do you justify one but not the other? They both promote religion by a government, one federal and the other state.

Exactly my point. Shouldn't the change start at the federal level?

And if not, why not? Seems to me that any efforts to keep it out of schools ring a little hollow.

Quote:
"In God We Trust" (also rendered as "In God we trust") is the official motto of the United States and of the U.S. state of Florida.It was adopted by the U.S. Congress in 1956, replacing E pluribus unum, which had been the de facto motto since the initial design of the Great Seal of the United States.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 11:13 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:19 AM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"In God We Trust" is on US currency.

Seems silly to whine about some posters on a wall, if that is allowed to stand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust
Do you really not understand the significance of making a law requiring posting signs that promote religion in public schools or is this just for shock value?
Old 1st September 2022, 11:21 AM   #10
Warp12
King of Kings

Do you really not understand the significance of making a law requiring posting signs that promote religion in public schools or is this just for shock value?

I already said it doesn't bother me. I mean, it is the "Official Motto" of the US, after all. And it appears on our currency. This seems like a lot of whining over nothing, tbh.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:21 AM   #11
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

And if not, why not? Seems to me that any efforts to keep it out of schools ring a little hollow.
When's the last time you handled a dollar bill? I use my debit for everything, and have for years. How often are schoolkids required to walk past the new Christian signs in Texas schools?

Why does a much harder and larger federal change need to be done before we roll back one state's latest new push for Christianity in public schools?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:23 AM   #12
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Also, only someone who really likes the depravity that is Christianity would fall back on that in this case.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:25 AM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm equally outraged by them and have long believed it needs to be removed from money, along with "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. You said the signs in schools did "bother" you. How do you reconcile one not bothering you while the other does? It's the same damn thing.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:26 AM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

I'm equally outraged by them and have long believed it needs to be removed from money, along with "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. You said the signs in schools did "bother" you. How do you reconcile one not bothering you while the other does? It's the same damn thing.

I didn't say either bothered me. I said that without a change at the federal level, this is just pointless whining. I don't care if it is on the bills, or on the walls.

As I said, it is the official motto of the US! How does one complain about these things as long as that stands?

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:30 AM   #15
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

I didn't say either bothered me. I said that without a change at the federal level, this is just pointless whining.
Don't be obtuse. People have been trying to remove references to religion from the state for decades.

You're also dishonest. It's not that it doesn't bother you. You like it.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 11:30 AM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I already said it doesn't bother me. I mean, it is the "Official Motto" of the US, after all. And it appears on our currency. This seems like a lot of whining over nothing, tbh.
OK...now I get it. This is really about getting to bring up 'libs whining'.

ETA: I'm out of this conversation with you. There's a word that describes exactly what you're doing but it's verboten to use here.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st September 2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:40 AM   #17
Warp12
King of Kings

I doubt that the motto is going to be changed anytime soon, but maybe down the line.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The vast majority of U.S. adults believe in God, but the 81% who do so is down six percentage points from 2017 and is the lowest in Gallup's trend. Between 1944 and 2011, more than 90% of Americans believed in God.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/393737/...s-new-low.aspx

I think the godless folks are solidly on the losing end of this scenario, for the time being. And until that changes, they might have to just accept a few posters on the wall.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:46 AM   #18
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that the motto is going to be changed anytime soon, but maybe down the line.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/393737/...s-new-low.aspx

I think the godless folks are solidly on the losing end of this scenario, for the time being. And until that changes, they might have to just accept a few posters on the wall.
Because more people "believe in god" than not then it's ok to violate the 1st Amendment?

Does anyone else remember when conservatives claimed to want to follow the Constitution? It feels like it wasn't that long ago, but now seeing a "conservative" who isn't gleefully wiping his ass with the Constitution is rare.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:58 AM   #19
d4m10n
Philosopher

This seems like a lot of whining over nothing, tbh.
I dunno man, seems to me that individual families ought to get to decide whether their kids should be encouraged to trust in many gods, one god, or none.

Sent from my Lampadati Casco using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; 1st September 2022 at 12:00 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 12:03 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I dunno man, seems to me that individual families ought to get to decide whether their kids should be encouraged to trust in many gods, one god, or none.

Exactly. It is not the place of the government, federal or state.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:16 PM   #21
d4m10n
Philosopher

Imagine the reaction if "Trust in Shiva" (or substantive equivalent) had been posted in a Texas classroom.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:17 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

I don't see the poster on the wall as any better or worse than it being printed on our currency, and having it be the official motto of the US.

I mean, I would protest mandatory prayer or something like that. But a poster with the official motto of our country? Nah.

Regarding the highlighted...well, a lot of libs don't believe in that sort of thinking on other educational matters. So, maybe this can be a lesson to them.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:30 PM   #23
sackett
Philosopher

God tends to keep unsavory company when he's hired for government service. Gott mit Uns. Gott belobt was Uns hardt macht. One nation, under God. In God WE trust, too bad about YOU, sucker!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 12:39 PM   #24
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see the poster on the wall as any better or worse than it being printed on our currency, and having it be the official motto of the US.
Yep, nothing is more in your face than the paper currency virtually nobody uses routinely and the "official motto" that 99% of the country would still say is "E pluribus unum" instead of "yay God".

I mean, I would protest mandatory prayer or something like that. But a poster with the official motto of our country? Nah.
If Trump or DeSantis proposed mandatory prayer I'd bet this persona would suddenly be all in favor of it as long as "the libs" were against it.

Regarding the highlighted...well, a lot of libs don't believe in that sort of thinking on other educational matters. So, maybe this can be a lesson to them.
Yeah, no. This is a TX law, not a school curriculum.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:39 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Which god?

Oh, the white, Aryan one.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 12:41 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
well, a lot of libs
And there it is......
Old 1st September 2022, 12:48 PM   #27
d4m10n
Philosopher

I don't see the poster on the wall as any better or worse than it being printed on our currency...
The people who pay for such things as pharmaceuticals and personal services in cash are probably grown up enough to be a bit cynical about the printed homage to the Abrahamic deity on post-WWII filthy lucre.

Kids are somewhat more open-minded, arguably to the point of vulnerability. The younger ones, at least, tend to simply believe what trusted adults (e.g. schoolteachers) have to say.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:00 PM   #28
Warp12
King of Kings

Kids are somewhat more open-minded, arguably to the point of vulnerability. The younger ones, at least, tend to simply believe what trusted adults (e.g. schoolteachers) have to say.

As I posted earlier:

It's just a poster. It is the official motto of the US. It is printed on all of our money. This is a nothingburger compared to other viewpoints that liberals are trying to force upon kids via curriculum, imo.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:17 PM   #29
arayder
Master Poster

Well, there you go again. . .

Another of your bigoted generalizations.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 01:38 PM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again what did people think was gonna happen? The Republicans were going to go "Oh noes you trapped us in our own argument, I guess you win?" and not "LOL yeah we're hypocrites whatcha gonna do about it libtards?"
Old 1st September 2022, 01:40 PM   #31
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

I hope the kids deface those posters.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 01:40 PM   #32
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It's just a poster.
Nope. It's a mandatory right-wing Christian-Nationalist catechism that is being forced on children despite what their parents may want for them by way of religious education. It is overriding their constitutional right to freedom of religion.

Quote:
It is the official motto of the US. It is printed on all of our money.
Nope. Only money made after 1956.

Quote:
This is a nothingburger compared to other viewpoints that liberals are trying to force upon kids via curriculum, imo.
Nope. Constitutional originalists. And stop trying to deflect. The topic is religious posters in Texas schools and the constitution, not your petty armchair whiner gripes about people who don't think like you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 01:45 PM   #33
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Oh, ok. Only money printed/coined in the last 66 years. My bad.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:46 PM   #34
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Well, there you go again. . .

Another of your bigoted generalizations.

Obviously you must know how ridiculous that sounds considering the venue we are in, and the viewpoints expressed towards conservatives.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:47 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, ok. Only money printed/coined in the last 66 years. My bad.
We know. Of course, it's also printed on every credit and debit card as well. And on all online transactions. So you can rest assured the message is getting out.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:48 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. It's a mandatory right-wing Christian-Nationalist catechism that is being forced on children despite what their parents may want for them by way of religious education. It is overriding their constitutional right to freedom of religion.

Nope. Constitutional originalists. And stop trying to deflect. The topic is religious posters in Texas schools and the constitution, not your petty armchair whiner gripes about people who don't think like you libs.
Isn't that what it's all about?
Old 1st September 2022, 01:51 PM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I always thought "In God We Trust" on money was a sarcastic jibe at fiat currency.
Old 1st September 2022, 01:54 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't that what it's all about?
It's just your run-of-the-mill ****-stirring. He's not even very good at it.

But meanwhile, in Texas...!
Old 1st September 2022, 01:56 PM   #39
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I hope the kids deface those posters.
In Godot We Trust?

In God We Truss?

In Gold We Trust?
Old 1st September 2022, 02:04 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In Godot We Trust?

In God We Truss?

In Gold We Trust?
In God We Trust
All Others Pay Cash...

Sign in many American stores who did not give credit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics