IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st September 2022, 02:07 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Imagine the reaction if "Trust in Shiva" (or substantive equivalent) had been posted in a Texas classroom.
I am waiting for the Campus Crusade For Chutluhu to strike...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 02:08 PM   #42
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
In Godot We Trust?

In God We Truss?

In Gold We Trust?

I'd go with Satyr stickers.
Olmstead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 02:13 PM   #43
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I...well, a lot of libs don't believe in that sort of thinking on other educational matters.
Which "other educational matters" are reasonably comparable to teaching religion to children?
Old 1st September 2022, 02:19 PM   #44
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

"In God We Trust" is on US currency.

Seems silly to whine about some posters on a wall, if that is allowed to stand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust
Thanks for explaining. I couldn't parse the sentence at all, the second word being 'if' instead of 'it' completely confused me.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 02:22 PM   #45
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Thanks for explaining. I couldn't parse the sentence at all, the second word being 'if' instead of 'it' completely confused me.

Sorry for the typo. I didn't mean to confuse you.
Old 1st September 2022, 02:23 PM   #46
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Which "other educational matters" are reasonably comparable to teaching religion to children?

These are addressed in plenty of other threads, and I am sure you have an inkling of some of the controversial topics.
Old 1st September 2022, 02:23 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry for the typo. I didn't mean to confuse you.
You really expect us to beleive that in Texas, the God "In God We Trust" is not the Christian one????
TO quote Michael Corleone in "The Godfather": "Don't insult my intellifence. It makes me angry".

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 1st September 2022 at 02:24 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 02:26 PM   #48
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You really expect us to beleive that in Texas, the God "In God We Trust" is not the Christian one????
TO quote Michael Corleone in "The Godfather": "Don't insult my intellifence. It makes me angry".

Where did I say that?

Which God do you think the official motto of the US is referring to?
Old 1st September 2022, 02:33 PM   #49
arayder
Master Poster

. . .well, a lot of libs don't believe in that sort of thinking on other educational matters. So, maybe this can be a lesson to them.
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Well, there you go again. . .

Another of your bigoted generalizations.
Obviously you must know how ridiculous that sounds considering the venue we are in, and the viewpoints expressed towards conservatives.
Oh, so somebody over generalized about conservatives and you think that gives you license to pass the bigotry on?

So you are no better than the narrow minded liberals you deplore?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 02:39 PM   #50
Warp12
King of Kings

Oh, so somebody over generalized about conservatives and you think that gives you license to pass the bigotry on?

When in Rome...
Old 1st September 2022, 02:43 PM   #51
arayder
Master Poster

When in Rome...
You had a chance to call out the folks around here who pull the "all those dang conservatives believe [insert generalization]" but, instead decided roll in the mud with them.

Has it occurred to you that you inference that you have a better way fails around here for that reason. . .among others?

Last edited by arayder; 1st September 2022 at 02:45 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 03:03 PM   #52
Warp12
King of Kings

With 81% of those polled believing in a "God" of some sort, what is the problem?

I would like to see posters/signs with the more common languages represented, however. I don't care what the particular religion is. The majority matters, but all religions are equal to me. Most people in this country believe in a "God" of their choosing.

I'm tired of a loud minority dictating policy, on this and other matters.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2022 at 03:07 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 03:14 PM   #53
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

With 81% of those polled believing in a "God" of some sort, what is the problem?

I would like to see posters/signs with the more common languages represented, however. I don't care what the particular religion is. The majority matters, but all religions are equal to me. Most people in this country believe in a "God" of their choosing.

I'm tired of a loud minority dictating policy, on this and other matters.
Yes we know you're tired of minorities.
Old 1st September 2022, 03:43 PM   #54
d4m10n
Philosopher

These are addressed in plenty of other threads, and I am sure you have an inkling of some of the controversial topics.
Evasion noted.

Which God do you think the official motto of the US is referring to?
We can safely rule out Shiva and the entire Hindu pantheon, since those gods have names. Same goes for the Greco-Roman and other pre-Xn pantheons, for similar reasons. Same for "Allah" which is pronounced differently than "god" even though the meaning is much the same from an atheist perspective.

That leaves only one god standing, that is, the Christian reconceptualization of the Jewish national deity.

(I'm not going to say the name, for obvious reasons.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 1st September 2022 at 03:54 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 03:50 PM   #55
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yes we know you're tired of minorities.
My local school is full of minorities. . Muslims, poor black kids, refugees.

I am sure that to those kids and their families that any strange "We God We Trust" dictates from our mostly white school board would be something from those "other" folks.

Last edited by arayder; 1st September 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 1st September 2022, 04:09 PM   #56
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again what did people think was gonna happen? The Republicans were going to go "Oh noes you trapped us in our own argument, I guess you win?" and not "LOL yeah we're hypocrites whatcha gonna do about it libtards?"
When this first happened, a friend on Facebook asked me how I thought they were going to get out of displaying these posters if the law said they had to. I said they'd just ignore the law, as they're Republicans and don't care about the concept of law, let alone following this one.

Then the GOP just said, 'no we have enough posters' ignoring the law they made.

It would have been fun to make them put up one with the All Father in the background.
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 05:17 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In a world with Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, Elon Musk, and Donald ******* Trump, this guy barely ranks as the Junior Back Stairs Footman of trolls.
Old 1st September 2022, 05:22 PM   #58
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In a world with Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, Elon Musk, and Donald ******* Trump, this guy barely ranks as the Junior Back Stairs Footman of trolls.
Those first three folks can be excused on account of sincerity. Trolling (at least in the archaic coinage) was emphatically not a matter of stating propositions which one sincerely believes.
Old 1st September 2022, 08:56 PM   #59
Warp12
King of Kings

Looking at the big picture:

Quote:
The poll found that 72 percent of self-identified Democrats said they believed in God, compared with 92 percent of Republicans (with independents between at 81 percent).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...d-is-dropping/

Looking at this, it is pretty clear that it is even a minority of libs that don't believe in a "God" of some sort. I don't believe the legislation requires photos of Jesus on the signs, does it?

Some people need to step outside of their little atheist world, and get some fresh air.
Old 1st September 2022, 09:05 PM   #60
arayder
Master Poster

Looking at this, it is pretty clear that it is even a minority of libs that don't believe in a "God" of some sort. I don't believe the legislation requires photos of Jesus on the signs, does it?

Some people need to step outside of their little atheist world, and get some fresh air.
Is there a point here other than giving you a chance to take cheap shots at some group of people you don't like?
Old 1st September 2022, 09:08 PM   #61
Warp12
King of Kings

Is there a point here other than giving you a chance to take cheap shots at some group of people you don't like?

"Cheap shots"? I am suggesting that people look at the big picture.

That includes that "In God We Trust" is the official US motto, it is printed on our currency, and the vast majority of our population believes in a "God" of some sort.

But yet, a small minority is squealing about this and hoping to shape policy.
Old 2nd September 2022, 01:32 AM   #62
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Those damn libs are at it again, folks! This war on Christians has got to stop. First they came for our Merry Christmas greetings in stores, then they came for our Christmas decorated Starbuck cups, and then they came for our "In God We Trust" signs in our schools. How are we supposed to fully indoctrinate our children with Christianity if they only get it at home and at church? After all, most Americans believe in God (the real God...not that Allah guy, except maybe for Barack Hussein Obama. But we know he ain't no real American being born in Kenya and all. Amarite or what?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:15 AM   #63
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Those damn libs are at it again, folks! This war on Christians has got to stop. First they came for our Merry Christmas greetings in stores, then they came for our Christmas decorated Starbuck cups, and then they came for our "In God We Trust" signs in our schools. How are we supposed to fully indoctrinate our children with Christianity if they only get it at home and at church? After all, most Americans believe in God (the real God...not that Allah guy, except maybe for Barack Hussein Obama. But we know he ain't no real American being born in Kenya and all. Amarite or what?

Suggesting there is no "war on Christians", while openly mocking them, is pretty amusing.

I don't see this as a "war on Christians". I see it as a refusal to look at the big picture and accept that a relatively small minority does not usually rule policy.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd September 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:18 AM   #64
arayder
Master Poster

That includes that "In God We Trust" is the official US motto, it is printed on our currency, and the vast majority of our population believes in a "God" of some sort.

When you were getting your right wing indoctrination the propagandists seemingly left out the tenent of American liberty and values which prohibits shoving a state religion down the throats of a religious minority.

Anticipating your next dodge I will say that posting religious slogans all over the public schools constitutes just that.
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:21 AM   #65
Warp12
King of Kings

When you were getting your right wing indoctrination the propagandists seemingly left out the tenent of American liberty and values which prohibits shoving a state religion down the throats of a religious minority.

Anticipating your next dodge I will say that posting religious slogans all over the public schools constitutes just that.

It seems like you aren't receiving the message. It's the official US motto, LOL.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd September 2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:23 AM   #66
arayder
Master Poster

It seems like you aren't receiving the message. It's the official US motto, LOL.
No, I heard and understood the paper thin ruse.
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:32 AM   #67
d4m10n
Philosopher

It's the official US motto, LOL.
If you think United States ought to tell its citizens to put their faith in the Judeo-Xn deity (rather than, say, Allah) can you please tell us why.
Old 2nd September 2022, 05:11 PM   #68
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Suggesting there is no "war on Christians", while openly mocking them, is pretty amusing.
Sigh. Let me 'splain this to you, Lucy, since it's flying right over your head. I'm not mocking "Christians", I'm mocking the stupid law in Texas that is requiring schools display a sign referencing "God". And obviously the Christian God since they have refused to allow a sign that follows the rules for such signs...the only difference was that it was in Arabic. THAT one was not allowed. See if you can figure it out or do you need that explained to you as well?

Quote:
I don't see this as a "war on Christians". I see it as a refusal to look at the big picture and accept that a relatively small minority does not usually rule policy.
"Suggesting there is no "war on Christians"....."I don't see this as a "war on Christians."

I'm sending you the urgent care bill for treating my whiplash.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2022, 05:13 PM   #69
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's still a religious slogan.
Old 2nd September 2022, 05:14 PM   #70
Warp12
King of Kings

<sniffle>

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd September 2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 2nd September 2022, 05:32 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

<sniffle>
Another reference to your first love: liberal tears.

It was always intended as a Christian reference when it was created by Billy Graham and Eisenhower who was converted to Presbyterianism by Graham:

Quote:
Last fall in God in America, our joint production with AMERICAN EXPERIENCE, we examined how “In God We Trust” came to be our national motto in 1956. At the heart of the story is an alliance between Rev. Billy Graham and Dwight Eisenhower, who together melded Christianity and patriotism into a weapon to be used against “godless Communism” during the Cold War.

Quote:
“You have preachers who draw on politics and politicians who are using religion for their own public policy reasons,” Stephen Prothero of Boston University says in God in America of Graham’s emergence as a political force. “And so the sort of wall of separation of church and state that has been around as an option is going to be gradually, gradually whittled away in this period.”
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...-christianity/
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:33 PM   #72
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

People can believe in God and also believe that separation of church and state is a good idea.

Shockingly, some people think forcing religious views on others is a violation of rights, even if you agree with the view.

I know you will never understand such a ridiculous concept as respect for others' rights, but I wanted to try.
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:44 PM   #73
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
It's not so much a "war on Christians" as it is a war by Christians, who then act like they're the ones being persecuted if we don't smile, bend over, and and thank them while they shove their ******** up our ass.
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:29 PM   #74
autumn1971
Illuminator

You are correct; the founding fathers of the US were a small but loud minority
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:50 PM   #75
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post

I think Warp is saying that if we don't remove it from our dollar bills then we shouldn't complain about it being required to be posted in schools. It's both a false equivalence (because most of us don't even handle physical money more than a couple times a year while schoolchildren do go to school every day) and a 'you can't complain about one thing unless you fix a much thornier problem first' dodge.

Fine, I say, get the violation of the 1st Amendment off our currency and our school walls.
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
When's the last time you handled a dollar bill? I use my debit for everything, and have for years. How often are schoolkids required to walk past the new Christian signs in Texas schools?

Why does a much harder and larger federal change need to be done before we roll back one state's latest new push for Christianity in public schools?
We know. Of course, it's also printed on every credit and debit card as well. And on all online transactions. So you can rest assured the message is getting out.
Sorry to intrude, but no-one else seems to have picked up on this.
Is the motto really printed on every credit and debit card, as well as online transactions, or was this just a humourous quip?

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:51 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Sorry to intrude, but no-one else seems to have picked up on this.
Is the motto really printed on every credit and debit card, as well as online transactions, or was this just a humourous quip?
Yes.
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:54 AM   #77
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Yes.
Thanks.

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:53 AM   #78
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

We know. Of course, it's also printed on every credit and debit card as well. And on all online transactions. So you can rest assured the message is getting out.
Really? I had no idea. There's nothing on my credit or debit cards to indicate nationality (unless you happen to recognise the issuing bank) nor reference to a particular currency.

Adding mottos to online transactions seems odd too. Is that a "because we should" decision or a "because we must" unintended consequence?

(Edit) okay I didn't get that it was a joke.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 3rd September 2022 at 04:09 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:05 AM   #79
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's worth noting that one doesn't have to be a supporter of some thing to be entertained by the annoyance it causes opponents.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:50 AM   #80
autumn1971
Illuminator

<sniffle>
Which particular word in the sentence “it should not be the motto of a secular nation” do you continually pretend to fail to understand?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics