IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:27 AM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Political violence from the left

Democrat politician in Nevada stabs a journalist to death, apparently for filing negative reports about him with her newspaper:

https://abc30.com/reporter-jeff-germ...bing/12209262/
Old 8th September 2022, 12:02 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And thereby ensures that even more negative reports get a vastly larger distribution and much huger audience. Not exactly a masterpiece of strategy.

(I assume from the thread title the OP is hoping either people will support the murder because they are Democrats, or that nobody will comment and OP can later cite that as evidence that Democrats don't care if Democrats murder people. So, although it ought to be taken as a given without explicitly stating it:

Murder is bad, mmmmkay?)
Old 8th September 2022, 12:11 PM   #3
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

The journalist, Jeff German was actually not a "her".

But...well done. You have finally found that one thing which proves Democrats/the left/Progressives are equally as violent as those on the right. A former Democratic 'Clark County Public Administrator' who served one term before losing his primary murdered the journalist he blamed for the loss. Clearly Democrats can no longer condemn Jan 6th without showing themselves as hypocrites.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:15 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
And thereby ensures that even more negative reports get a vastly larger distribution and much huger audience. Not exactly a masterpiece of strategy.

(I assume from the thread title the OP is hoping either people will support the murder because they are Democrats, or that nobody will comment and OP can later cite that as evidence that Democrats don't care if Democrats murder people. So, although it ought to be taken as a given without explicitly stating it:

Murder is bad, mmmmkay?)
(You assume wrong. I don't expect anyone to support this murder. Just didn't see it reported here and figured it might be news to some.)
Old 8th September 2022, 12:24 PM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
(You assume wrong. I don't expect anyone to support this murder. Just didn't see it reported here and figured it might be news to some.)
Tug the alternate item, for to it are attached inverted cup-shaped objects that create a ringing sound when struck.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:25 PM   #6
Donal
Illuminator

This doesn't seem to be facilitated, supported, or enabled by the party itself.

Dude murdered someone and is going to prison. that's how it is supposed to work.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:26 PM   #7
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
This doesn't seem to be facilitated, supported, or enabled by the party itself.

Dude murdered someone and is going to prison. that's how it is supposed to work.
But he was once elected as a democrat!!!!!!!!!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:27 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Theprestige's attempt to frame this as "political violence from the left" is desperation. This wasn't really about politics. It was a personal grudge because the victim, Jeff German, had written negative reports on Telles and was investigating his personal and business life. Telles tweeted that German was a " bully" and "obsessed" with him. Clearly, Telles felt unfairly targeted and harassed by German and blamed him for his primary loss. This was a personal revenge killing, not a political one.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:33 PM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The title of this thread, "Political Violence from the Left", tells us exactly what your intentions were when you posted it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 12:35 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hmmmm bait.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:39 PM   #11
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

The title of this thread, "Political Violence from the Left", tells us exactly what your intentions were when you posted it.
He meant the stabbing was with the left hand.

Curious you thought it was about policy. Sounds like it struck a nerve. Could it be that violent leftists are touchy about being called out?

I am very intelligent.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:09 PM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

Murder is bad, mmmmkay?)
Ah, the OP was referring to the murder, allegedly committed by Robert Telles, of Jeff German then (I killfiled him/her/it long ago).

I fail to see what "political" dimension there is to the (alleged) murder, let alone a "left wing" one. The US Democratic party is hardly "left wing" in any realistic sense and the (alleged) murder appears to be motivated by a combination of personal dislike.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:10 PM   #13
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post

But...well done. You have finally found that one thing which proves Democrats/the left/Progressives are equally as violent as those on the right. A former Democratic 'Clark County Public Administrator' who served one term before losing his primary murdered the journalist he blamed for the loss. Clearly Democrats can no longer condemn Jan 6th without showing themselves as hypocrites.
That should give you an idea of the credibility of the poster.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 01:16 PM   #14
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Isn't this more of a Current Events thing? Why Politics?

Ah, I see I'm late to the thread
Old 8th September 2022, 02:18 PM   #15
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post

So this reporter getting murdered by a Democrat is going to be the new "But what about BLM and Antifa?"
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 02:57 PM   #16
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Well, everybody seems to love those threads that used to appear hereabouts which amounted to "Obscure Republican State Legislator Does/Says X," before those were folded (I am thankful) into the "Thread for stupidity...."

This guy pretty much rang the bell on violence. I read the article that supposedly led to him losing the primary and tbh it didn't seem likely it was that incendiary that it would swing the election. I suspect Telles was more pissed off about the videotape of him canoodling with one of his staffers in the back seat of her car, since he is a married man.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:11 PM   #17
arayder
Master Poster

Yeah, ya' gotta' watch out for those leftist county public administrators!
arayder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:21 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yhis is BS.
Yes, the left is capable of violence.and it should be condemned, ..... but in recent years the Right has been by far the greater offender.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 8th September 2022 at 03:24 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:24 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Last time we saw really serious political violence by the extreme left was in the string of terrorist groups that sprang up in the early seventies...The Weatherman, the SLA, the Black Liberation Army, etc butthey did not last long and
were easily handled..mainly becuase they got little if any support from most of the left who considered them to be, quite rightly, a bunch of nutjobs.

Whereas the Right wing terrorist of today are getting support by people in the GOP.....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 8th September 2022 at 03:25 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:47 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, everybody seems to love those threads that used to appear hereabouts which amounted to "Obscure Republican State Legislator Does/Says X," before those were folded (I am thankful) into the "Thread for stupidity...."

This guy pretty much rang the bell on violence. I read the article that supposedly led to him losing the primary and tbh it didn't seem likely it was that incendiary that it would swing the election. I suspect Telles was more pissed off about the videotape of him canoodling with one of his staffers in the back seat of her car, since he is a married man.
Is there such a video or are you being tongue in cheek? He was having an affair, allegedly.
Telles was angry because he was being exposed publicly by German who was doing his job. This wasn't political; it was an old fashioned, run-of-the-mill revenge murder.
Old 8th September 2022, 04:42 PM   #21
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Lock him up. Throw away the key.

Using a wrong pronoun to refer to the victim is a lesser offense, and probably not criminal.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 05:20 PM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is there such a video or are you being tongue in cheek? He was having an affair, allegedly.
Telles was angry because he was being exposed publicly by German who was doing his job. This wasn't political; it was an old fashioned, run-of-the-mill revenge murder.
The video is embedded in the article that I linked, which was the one that supposedly led to the murder. It (apparently) shows Telles and the staffer in the back seat of her car. It's pretty low-quality video, but at least at one point it appears the two were kissing.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 07:41 PM   #23
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Typical lefty. A real man would've used a gun (and taken out 5 bystanders in the bargain).

This has got to be the most pathetic thread in the history of the internet.
Old 8th September 2022, 08:06 PM   #24
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

So... not political... and probably not from a lefty... but other than that, a perfectly accurate non-lying thread title!

At least this time, unlike the mobs of rabidly violent lefties burning down cities a couple of years ago, this is something that... actually happened. For the propagandists for fascism, that's an upgrade!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 08:46 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

From the linked report:
Quote:
He lost his June party primary to Assistant Public Administrator Rita Reid.
So not even a Democrat any more.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 08:50 PM   #26
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yhis is BS.
Yes, the left is capable of violence.and it should be condemned, ..... but in recent years the Right has been by far the greater offender.
Centrists are are even worse, killing left and right.
Old 8th September 2022, 09:32 PM   #27
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
From the linked report:So not even a Democrat any more.
So after losing in the primary to Obama in 2008, Hillary Clinton ceased to be a Democrat?
Old 9th September 2022, 03:07 AM   #28
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

So after losing in the primary to Obama in 2008, Hillary Clinton ceased to be a Democrat?
Yeah, I remember when Hillary stabbed some guy to death BECAUSE she was a Democrat.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 07:30 AM   #29
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yeah, I remember when Hillary stabbed some guy to death BECAUSE she was a Democrat.

So it was the stabbing that made him no longer a Democrat? Make up your alleged mind.
Old 9th September 2022, 07:32 AM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is just the political version of our resident racist waving a bloody shirt around every time a black person commits a crime against a white person while ignoring statistics and trends and facts.
Old 9th September 2022, 08:23 AM   #31
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Last time we saw really serious political violence by the extreme left was in the string of terrorist groups that sprang up in the early seventies...The Weatherman, the SLA, the Black Liberation Army, etc butthey did not last long and
were easily handled..mainly becuase they got little if any support from most of the left who considered them to be, quite rightly, a bunch of nutjobs.

Whereas the Right wing terrorist of today are getting support by people in the GOP.....
I suppose if you limited it to organized violence, otherwise you seem to be forgetting the hundreds of riots from a few years ago.

Regardless, its pretty common for what amounts to attacks driven by personnel animus to be painted as political if there is a politician involved. Harvey Milk was murdered by a fellow politician and former with a grudge and mental illness but most folks think it was because Milk was gay. Gabby Gifford was shot by a guy with mental illness and grudge, at the time, folks claimed he was a teapartier and I'm also willing to bet most folks still think it was politics that drove him.

I suspect this more about grudges than politics but we shall see.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 08:36 AM   #32
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I suppose if you limited it to organized violence, otherwise you seem to be forgetting the hundreds of riots from a few years ago.

<snip>
Protests, hundreds of protests. Well over 90 percent of them were completely peaceful, and a lot of the violence that did erupt was initiated by the police. Of course, there were some that became riots due to protester/rioter actions, and if you were watching our so-called "liberal media", you would have been told about them over and over again.

If you were watching Fox/OAN on the other hand, you would have thought that Portland, Seattle and Chicago had been burned to the ground on a daily basis, that armies of Antifa soldiers were being transported by bus into small suburban towns to suppress the civilian population and that COVID was a deliberate attack designed to weaken our economy in order to pave the way for a Communist takeover.
Old 9th September 2022, 08:39 AM   #33
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Protests, hundreds of protests. Well over 90 percent of them were completely peaceful, and a lot of the violence that did erupt was initiated by the police. Of course, there were some that became riots due to protester/rioter actions, and if you were watching our so-called "liberal media", you would have been told about them over and over again.

If you were watching Fox/OAN on the other hand, you would have thought that Portland, Seattle and Chicago had been burned to the ground on a daily basis, that armies of Antifa soldiers were being transported by bus into small suburban towns to suppress the civilian population and that COVID was a deliberate attack designed to weaken our economy in order to pave the way for a Communist takeover.
1000s of protests which means hundreds of riots.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 09:09 AM   #34
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
1000s of protests which means hundreds of riots.
is it a riot if it's the police initiating it? Or is it just self-defense?
Old 9th September 2022, 09:16 AM   #35
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think the difference here is in how the 2 parties seem to be reacting (both before and after the violence/stupidity/etc.)

In the case of the democrat accused of violence, I am unaware of any rhetoric before the cases of how "we need to get that reporter guy" from any party leaders, nor am I aware of any democratic politicians who are defending this guy's actions. Given those circumstances, it is easier to assume that this is some sort of "lone wolf/nutcase" situation, not really a "Democrat" situation.

On the other hand, look at the way republicans handle their problems. Trump talks about windmills causing cancer and grabbing women and labels the media the "enemy of the people", and is considered a party leader. MTG talks about jewish space lasers and Gaetz is accused of sex trafficing and both have more respect from the republican caucus than Liz Cheney. Roy Moore and Joe Arpaio were both accused and/or convicted of some rather... questionable... activity, and were endorsed by or pardoned by Trump. With that type of track record, its easier to point to stupid actions as a "republican" thing.

In other words, Democrats try to minimize the asshattery. Republicans embrace it, lean into it, and consider it something to be celebrated.

When republicans start kicking people like MTG out of their caucus, and actually reject Stubby McBonespurs, then perhaps then we will start accepting that a person's republican credentials are unimportant when talking about their bad acts.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 10:46 AM   #36
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This is just the political version of our resident racist waving a bloody shirt around every time a black person commits a crime against a white person while ignoring statistics and trends and facts.
Perhaps we should view this with some sympathy, since it appears to be a necessary part of supporting what passes for the political right these days. After all, people generally like to believe they're on the side of the good guys. So when your team keeps doing really reprehensible stuff, you need to find something the other side has done to try to convince yourself it's really no big deal, just politics as usual (trust me, I don't understand it either). Thus a completely by-the-book transfer of documents to a presidential library becomes equivalent to stealing nuclear secrets and other highly classified materials and hiding them in your home for who-knows-what purpose; the inappropriate use of an email server becomes equivalent to trying to steal an election; and a protest against police brutality becomes equivalent to trying to violently overthrow the U.S. government.

Although even by this exceedingly low standard, attempting to characterize the (admittedly terrible) actions of a lame-duck minor official who got caught banging a staffer as "political violence from the left" is one of the more pathetic things I've seen of this genre, and that's saying something. If you're going to be this dishonest, at least have a shred of self-respect.

Last edited by Stellafane; 9th September 2022 at 10:49 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 12:04 PM   #37
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Goes to show: It's only wrong when a Democrat/leftist/lib/prog does it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 01:06 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
So this reporter getting murdered by a Democrat is going to be the new "But what about BLM and Antifa?"
Indeed!

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 01:26 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If only Justin Smollett had done they wouldn't even have to keep two excuses in their brains.
Old 9th September 2022, 01:29 PM   #40
arayder
Master Poster

Where is somebody shouting "outlier" when we need him?
arayder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics