IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2022, 04:05 PM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Violence on the Left

To avoid being hoist by my own petard, I'm starting a separate thread for these:

"Top N.J. political operative charged in bizarre murder-for-hire plot"
A Jersey City political operative who worked as a consultant to former New Jersey state Sen. Raymond Lesniak pleaded guilty Tuesday in a grisly plot to kill a long-time associate, whose death had stymied investigators for years.
"Democratic Donor Ed Buck Is Convicted In Deaths Of 2 Men He Offered Drugs For Sex"
A federal jury on Tuesday convicted a wealthy California political donor on charges he injected gay men with methamphetamine in exchange for sex, leading to two deaths and other overdoses.

Ed Buck, 66, was found guilty of all nine felony counts in federal court, which could lead to a life sentence. The verdict came exactly four years after one of the victims, 26-year-old Gemmel Moore, was found dead of an overdose in Buck's West Hollywood apartment.
Make of it what you will.
Old 8th September 2022, 04:41 PM   #2
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Neither of these cases seem to involve politics apart from the people involved being involved in politics. There doesn't seem to be even a connection to left wing platforms or advocacy for the crimes.

What do you make of them?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Max_mang
Muse

When conservatives engage in politically motivated violence, crimes, illegal activity, etc - it's "mundane", "bad apples", Antifa false flags, no big deal, completely justified, what patriots do, etc - take your pick.

When someone even remotely liberal scratches their butt - it's "left wing violence", "the left is consolidating power", "the left wants a civil war", etc. And look out if any lefty engages in a protest against racism, fascism, police brutality, etc - then it's "savages", "terrorists", "looters", "rioters", etc.

The double standards aren't hidden any more and haven't been in a while.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 12:53 AM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think I can do a little better than those examples:

Japanese Red Army

Movements of the Japanese Red Army and the "Yodo-go" group
Old 9th September 2022, 05:14 AM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Where as most murderers are inner city minoritys, so probably Democrats (if they think that deeply) then yes, there is lots of violence from the Left. Including Antifa and BLM.
Old 9th September 2022, 12:48 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Where as most murderers are inner city minoritys, so probably Democrats (if they think that deeply) then yes, there is lots of violence from the Left. Including Antifa and BLM.
Because, you know, what happened in DC on 1/6/21 was just

- a tourist visit.
- legitimate political discourse.
- conservatives expressing their concerns.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 12:54 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To avoid being hoist by my own petard, I'm starting a separate thread for these:

"Top N.J. political operative charged in bizarre murder-for-hire plot"
A Jersey City political operative who worked as a consultant to former New Jersey state Sen. Raymond Lesniak pleaded guilty Tuesday in a grisly plot to kill a long-time associate, whose death had stymied investigators for years.
"Democratic Donor Ed Buck Is Convicted In Deaths Of 2 Men He Offered Drugs For Sex"
A federal jury on Tuesday convicted a wealthy California political donor on charges he injected gay men with methamphetamine in exchange for sex, leading to two deaths and other overdoses.

Ed Buck, 66, was found guilty of all nine felony counts in federal court, which could lead to a life sentence. The verdict came exactly four years after one of the victims, 26-year-old Gemmel Moore, was found dead of an overdose in Buck's West Hollywood apartment.
OK then, in terms of the thread title, I make it a nothingburger!

The title "Violence on the Left" implies politically motivated violence by people on the political left. None of that applies to the body of your OP. This is pure clickbait!

You are always the first poster on this forum to whinge about clickbait titles, and yet here you are, doing exactly what you decry others for.

ETA: And yes I did see the other topic in the USA Politics forum, and yes I did see that you posted this one in the Social Issues & Current Events forum. Clickbait always works best when there is some misdirection and subterfuge.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th September 2022 at 12:59 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 05:49 AM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Las Vegas reporter remembered as fearless force after elected official, angry at journalist's work, is arrested in his death
Old 10th September 2022, 06:16 AM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Although the man's politics are not really relevant here, this must be one of the creepiest crimes I've ever heard of.

Even if we turn a blind eye to the racial aspect, a very wealthy man apparently got his kicks from luring homeless drug addicted men to his home for sex, and his fetish was to inject them will deadly drugs.

There is a picture of him posing with Hillary Clinton, although I'm sure she was unaware of this aspect of him. Also lots of pictures of her with Harvey Weinstein.

Maybe it's that some wealthy sexual predators like to hide by posing as "progressives".
Old 10th September 2022, 07:08 AM   #10
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The title "Violence on the Left" implies politically motivated violence by people on the political left..
Something like the Congressional baseball shootingWP is a much better fit.

ETA: Possibly also the CHAZ/CHOP shootings.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th September 2022 at 07:29 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 07:21 AM   #11
Venom
Philosopher

Facepalm.

The real alarm bells will ring when mainstream Democrats even embrace far-left ideology, let alone promote violence in its name.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 07:26 AM   #12
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Maybe it's that some wealthy sexual predators like to hide by posing as "progressives".
Well someone could care about environmentalism and changing political institutions for the better, etc but engage in objectionable activity themselves.

I'm sure there are many psychopaths and sexual predators who are politically progressive.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 08:23 AM   #13
Hercules56
Master Poster

BLM and Antifa violence was horrific and disgusting.

But so was the violence on 1/6 and all the racist mass shootings done by MAGA fans.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 09:29 AM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
BLM and Antifa violence was horrific and disgusting.

But so was the violence on 1/6 and all the racist mass shootings done by MAGA fans.
Yeah, but BLM and antifa are reactions to existing racist and fascist movements. The neo fascists and white supremacists are there one way or the other. Antics only shows up to counter them in their own gutter terms.

No fascists, no antifa. Facists, antifa.

Doesn't work in the other direction.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 09:51 AM   #15
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No fascists, no antifa.
I cannot think of any European (derived) culture wholly free of fascists, so it's hard to know if this statement is true or not.
Old 10th September 2022, 10:07 AM   #16
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I cannot think of any European (derived) culture wholly free of fascists, so it's hard to know if this statement is true or not.
Well, they are anti fascists. It's right there in the name. It's a frustrating identity to be anti-something that isn't an active threat. Kind of like identifying as anti Death Star. I mean, I would generally be anti Death Star but wouldn't spring for the spiffy t-shirt or anything.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 11:23 AM   #17
Venom
Philosopher

Which is kinda hilarious seeing the disproportionate rightwing outrage against "antifa", one of the new Fox News Boogeymen of the last few years.
Old 10th September 2022, 12:58 PM   #18
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I'm much more prone to committing violence on the left. My left, I mean. I'm left-handed so that's where I'd wield most weapons.
Old 10th September 2022, 01:04 PM   #19
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I called the previous thread on this topic, the one about the minor official in Arizona, the most pathetic thread in the history of the internet. I had not thought a challenger for that title would appear so quickly.

I cannot even imagine what point this thread is intended to serve.
Old 10th September 2022, 02:11 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by sarge:  removed moderated content

Thermal and I don't agree on much, but this one is an exception.

Antifa only exist because fascism exists.

Fascism only exists because a percentage of the population are vile scumbags who want the world to be populated with the superior race of Aryans, and who object to sharing the world and its resources with "Untermenschen" such as Jews, Darkies, Spicks, Gypsies and others who don't conform the the fascist ideal of what it means to be a person.

...ergo, if the were no fascism, there would be no Antifa, no reason for them to even exist.

Black Lives Matter is a little more complex than that.

BLM only exist because White Supremacists and Systemic Racism exists.

White Supremacism only exists because a percentage of the population are vile scumbags who want the world to be populated only with white people, and who object to sharing the world and its resources with Black people.

Systemic Racism exists because of the historical domination of all aspects of life by white people who have always had the power, and there are people in politics who are hell bent on keeping it that way. Blacks have been routinely discriminated against by governments, by authorities and individuals for the past 300+ years. It is understandable that they have collectively had a gutsfull of being treated this way, and unsurprising that they want to do something about it.

And that history of oppression and racism continues to this day. Its not enough that the Police and authorities profile and disproportionately target black people, but the latest tactic of the right is to try to "whitewash" history - to attempt to wipe any mention of slavery and racial oppression from the history books by preventing children from being taught about it at school, and by banning books (fiction, non-fiction and textbooks) that contain any references to slavery, racism and the oppression of Black people.

If governments had addressed the issues of slavery, and systemic racism when it had the chance in the aftermath of the Civil Rights movements in the 1960s, BLM would in all likelihood would either be a very small presence now, or not exist at all.

Last edited by sarge; 22nd September 2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10th September 2022, 02:20 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
I called the previous thread on this topic, the one about the minor official in Arizona, the most pathetic thread in the history of the internet. I had not thought a challenger for that title would appear so quickly.

I cannot even imagine what point this thread is intended to serve.

Oh, I can, I assure you!
Old 10th September 2022, 02:33 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Not even bothering ot try to hide the bigotry, I see.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 03:18 PM   #23
d4m10n
Philosopher

Antifa only exist because fascism exists.
This is historically true, but then it was also historically true that the March of Dimes only existed because polio existed. It may be true that antifa would fold up shop if all the fascists converted to liberalism or progressivism, but it's just a prediction without any test cases.
Old 10th September 2022, 03:30 PM   #24
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

This is historically true, but then it was also historically true that the March of Dimes only existed because polio existed. It may be true that antifa would fold up shop if all the fascists converted to liberalism or progressivism, but it's just a prediction without any test cases.
I can assure you that in my case, if there were no fascists anymore, I would not call myself an anti-fascist. What would be the point?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 03:57 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The logic behind this nonsense is both very flawed and really dumb. It goes like this:

Person X is a registered Democrat voter.
Person X stabbed some notable guy to death.
Therefore anyone who stabs notable guys to death is a Democrat.

How dumb is this? Like this dumb:

Oswald ate cornflakes the morning JFK was assassinated.
JFK was assassinated by Oswald.
Therefore everyone who eats cornflakes is a presidential assassin.

Although run that by a Trumpanzee and you will probably get "Yeah! That's right! Let's boycott Kellogs!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 04:06 PM   #26
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I can assure you that in my case, if there were no fascists anymore, I would not call myself an anti-fascist. What would be the point?
People don't like to give up an identity, in my understanding. It wouldn't be particularly hard to expand the definition to cover more mainstream figures.
Old 10th September 2022, 07:10 PM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

People don't like to give up an identity, in my understanding. It wouldn't be particularly hard to expand the definition to cover more mainstream figures.
I don't agree. I have met a number of Antifa types here. Its not their "identity" they just hate Nazis and the idea of fascism
Old 11th September 2022, 02:22 AM   #28
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That's not really expanding the definition. Mainstream conservatives have a tendency to move towards fascism, and there's a clear overlap between the two groups.

If there were no more fascists, there would be quite a bit fewer conservatives as a consequence.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 02:52 AM   #29
shuttlt
Philosopher

Worth remembering that one of the original appeals of Hitler was left wing street violence, media censorship, and the fear of the same Marxists who had taken over in Russia taking over in Germany. There seems to be this delusion that Hitler somehow got in because of what a tolerant society Weimar was. Absolutely the opposite. They had their meetings attacked far more forcefully than anything antifa are doing today, and it made them stronger.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 06:21 AM   #30
d4m10n
Philosopher

I can assure you that in my case, if there were no fascists anymore, I would not call myself an anti-fascist.
What if there were still mainstream conservatives with a tendency to move towards fascism?
Old 11th September 2022, 10:10 AM   #31
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well, they are anti fascists. It's right there in the name.

Yes, and the Anti-Fascist Protection Rampart was actually built around East Berlin to keep the fascists out. It's right there in the name.
Old 11th September 2022, 10:17 AM   #32
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What if there were still mainstream conservatives with a tendency to move towards fascism?
That would be fascists. So there would be fascists.

Old 11th September 2022, 11:31 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Yes, and the Anti-Fascist Protection Rampart was actually built around East Berlin to keep the fascists out. It's right there in the name.
Of course names can be deceptive. North Korea's full name springs to mind. So you judge by actions.

Can you name one antifa or BLM sponsored rioting event not in opposition to fascist parading? I'm not talking about Fox News portrayal of any kid in a black t-shirt as being antifa or BLM. Actually demonstrable involvement.

Old 11th September 2022, 11:37 AM   #34
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
How many attempts were there by West German fascists to break through that wall? How many were shot trying to get into East Germany?

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 11:37 AM   #35
d4m10n
Philosopher

That would be fascists. So there would be fascists.
How can you tell the "fascist" mainstream conservatives from the ordinary mainstream conservatives?

Put another way, can you think of (and perhaps identify) any non-fascist conservatives?
Old 11th September 2022, 12:24 PM   #36
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

How can you tell the "fascist" mainstream conservatives from the ordinary mainstream conservatives?

Put another way, can you think of (and perhaps identify) any non-fascist conservatives?
By name?

Sure. Many conservatives aren't fascists. In the US, the Trump wing of the GOP is fully fascist. The neo-con wing isn't fascist but rather neo-liberal. That would make people like Marjorie-Taylor Green, Gym Jordan, Ron Desantis and the like fascist. People like Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, John Kerry and the like are neo-liberal. You can tell the difference from what they say and do.

Old 11th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #37
shuttlt
Philosopher

By name?

Sure. Many conservatives aren't fascists. In the US, the Trump wing of the GOP is fully fascist. The neo-con wing isn't fascist but rather neo-liberal. That would make people like Marjorie-Taylor Green, Gym Jordan, Ron Desantis and the like fascist. People like Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, John Kerry and the like are neo-liberal. You can tell the difference from what they say and do.
You are correct that neo-cons are in fact liberals, all be it of a hawkish, free market type. That being the case, are there any actual conservatives that aren't fascists? Evangelical Christian conservatives, perhaps?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 01:15 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The they would soon be fascists.
Old 11th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Worth remembering that one of the original appeals of Hitler was left wing street violence, media censorship, and the fear of the same Marxists who had taken over in Russia taking over in Germany. There seems to be this delusion that Hitler somehow got in because of what a tolerant society Weimar was. Absolutely the opposite. They had their meetings attacked far more forcefully than anything antifa are doing today, and it made them stronger.
As a keen student of the geopolitical situation in Europe in the first half of the 20th century, I can confidently state that this is wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

I guess you are one of those who mistakenly assume that because NSDAP ( the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, or National Socialist German Workers' Party had the word "socialist" in their name, that they were some how politically left wing socialists.

Here is some light reading from an authoritative, non-partisan source to correct that false assumption...

https://www.britannica.com/story/wer...zis-socialists

To say that Hitler understood the value of language would be an enormous understatement. Propaganda played a significant role in his rise to power. To that end, he paid lip service to the tenets suggested by a name like National Socialist German Workers’ Party.

Over the following years the brothers Otto and Gregor Strasser did much to grow the party by tying Hitler’s racist nationalism to socialist rhetoric that appealed to the suffering lower middle classes. In doing so, the Strassers also succeeded in expanding the Nazi reach beyond its traditional Bavarian base.
Old 11th September 2022, 02:08 PM   #40
shuttlt
Philosopher

As a keen student of the geopolitical situation in Europe in the first half of the 20th century, I can confidently state that this is wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

I guess you are one of those who mistakenly assume that because NSDAP ( the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, or National Socialist German Workers' Party had the word "socialist" in their name, that they were some how politically left wing socialists.
I didn't say that the Nazis were left wing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics