IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th September 2022, 09:46 AM   #121
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yes, I think you and I have settled our brief disagreement. That was the only point I was originally trying to make. (I got sidetracked into the definition of fascist, but I've decided to drop out of that conversation.)
Cool. The only nit I would still have to pick is that a Trump supporter is not (at the very least) a supporter of some brand of neo-fascism, after J6. One can still be a conservative, or Republican, sure, but by supporting the guy who tried to overturn a democratic election, theres no fig leaf left to hide behind.

Quote:
I am disappointed, of course, that you can't spell "phiwum". My feelings are hurt.
Apologies. My lightning fast typing skills rely on autocorrect to keep up. Autocorrect does not like your name.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 13th September 2022 at 10:09 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 10:00 AM   #122
Lithrael
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
We changed a nation with non-violent protest during the 1960s. Why cant non-violent protest and civil disobedience do it again?
Ah, the rose colored glasses.
Charles Brooks, the Birmingham News:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90562299-C3E4-4EF7-A552-C33FF8147C7B.jpg (68.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Lithrael; 13th September 2022 at 10:02 AM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 10:39 AM   #123
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Cool. The only nit I would still have to pick is that a Trump supporter is not (at the very least) a supporter of some brand of neo-fascism, after J6. One can still be a conservative, or Republican, sure, but by supporting the guy who tried to overturn a democratic election, theres no fig leaf left to hide behind.
I wouldn't go so far as claiming all Trump supporters are neo-fascists. Indeed, most of them seem to reckon that Jan 6 was a riot where enthusiastic supporters went too far (likely influenced by false flag rioters). Now, I think that's a grossly wrong belief, given the evidence, but I also think it's not surprising that folks believe such things. A willingness to believe something comfortable (like "my guy didn't intentionally encourage an insurrection") is pretty damned common.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks it was appropriate to invade the Capitol with the intention of preventing the counting of votes supports an insurrection (whether or not they believe that the election was genuinely stolen).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 11:21 AM   #124
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The Left reacts to police killing unarmed black people by burning down Wendy's and CVS. Food for thought.
This thread is about...or was originally...about political violence as in "Left". Personal revenge acts such as the killing of the reporter is not political violence. Neither were the BLM protests or "burning down Wendy's and CVS". Those had to do with real or perceived racism by law enforcement. Apparently, you need to be reminded that 97% of the BLM protests were peaceful and most of the looting and violence that did occur was not related to BLM at all. But you wouldn't know that to listen to Trump and the far right.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:18 PM   #125
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Poor people pushed over the edge"? You talk like there are no alternatives to rioting and arson.

We changed a nation with non-violent protest during the 1960s. Why cant non-violent protest and civil disobedience do it again?

Justifying the BLM rioting only gives ammo to folks who feel 1/6 was also justified.
Because their opponents are armed to the teeth, have a proven track record of shooting unarmed people dead and will not hesitate to do so if push comes to shove? "Turn the other cheek" doesn't work when your opponent has a fully loaded AR-15 and is prepared to use it on you!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th September 2022 at 12:20 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:24 PM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Look at Louisville where the Protests were peaceful until the police Started Firing Rubber Bullets at peoples faces,
Including the Fox 41 Reporter covering the protest Live.
The Police didn't want Peace they wanted Violence and to cover up a Murder by other police officers. As did Kentucky's attorney General.

http://youtu.be/gprIBmd_9go
Or the DC protests that were 100% peaceful when the police fired tear gas at them to clear a path for the The Fat Orange Turd and his sycophantic hangers-on to walk across the road so that he could hold up a bible (upside down) for a political photo op.

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th September 2022 at 01:09 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:32 PM   #127
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Or the DC protests that were100% peaceful when the police fired tear gas at them to clear a path for the The Fat Orange Turd and his sycophantic hangers-on to walk across the road so that he could hold up a bible (upside down) for a political photo op.
Or the police do their basic procedure of sealing all the exits and ordering the crowd to disperse. Then when they fail to do that the violence comes out because they are not obeying impossible orders.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:50 PM   #128
jnelso99
Graduate Poster

The Left reacts to police killing unarmed black people by burning down Wendy's and CVS. Food for thought.
Worse happens when some city’s sports ball team wins a championship.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:54 PM   #129
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
You sure about that? At a cabinet meeting in, I believe, the first or second year of his fetid squatting in the White House, during a discussion on gun regulation the prolapsed orange anus said something like, "Take away the guns first. Then deal with the process." (Not an exact quote!) I recall hearing nary a peep of protest from his cult; had Obama said anything like it the WH would probably have been burned down.

To his fawning base, the cankered sphincter can do no wrong. He alone can fix it.
It's pretty much the quote, but missing the context, which was in discussion with what to do about individuals deemed dangerous, in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida shooting.

Quote:
The suspected shooter, Nikolas Cruz, was able to legally purchase the AR-15 reportedly used in the shooting despite numerous calls to law enforcement about his unstable behavior.
Trump's comments were fairly non-controversial, although I presume Alex Jones and his ilk were outraged. Even the NRA went along with it:

Quote:
The National Rifle Association, which typically opposes efforts to restrict access to guns, said it supports state protection orders, as long as the laws include certain provisions to ensure gun owners’ rights.
So common-sense restrictions actually can be and were placed on gun ownership. Now how does this tie in with fascism and that orange turd you are so obsessed with?
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:06 PM   #130
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This thread is about...or was originally...about political violence as in "Left". Personal revenge acts such as the killing of the reporter is not political violence. Neither were the BLM protests or "burning down Wendy's and CVS". Those had to do with real or perceived racism by law enforcement. Apparently, you need to be reminded that 97% of the BLM protests were peaceful and most of the looting and violence that did occur was not related to BLM at all. But you wouldn't know that to listen to Trump and the far right.
All of the rioting and the arson was in direct retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons. The fires and looting and destruction was not only broadcast on Fox News. All America saw it and it totally killed a lot of support mainstream America had for the struggle. However something tells me you cannot understand why that would be.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:07 PM   #131
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post

Surely not in this country.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:12 PM   #132
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Or you know pumpkins happen. And Keene specifically had an armored vehical to deal with the pumpkin festival but did they use it? No of course not on good white college kids they didn't.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:16 PM   #133
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

All of the rioting and the arson was in direct retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons. The fires and looting and destruction was not only broadcast on Fox News. All America saw it and it totally killed a lot of support mainstream America had for the struggle. However something tells me you cannot understand why that would be.
And why we need to ban Pumpkins

https://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...019-story.html

Or god forbid someone try to cold a football couch to account for sexual abuse of kids.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/pen...ernos-ousting/

Bah those get swept under the rug and never hurt anyone's view of white college kids.
Old 13th September 2022, 01:22 PM   #134
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. I never thought I would see someone so easily fall for that story hook, line and sinker!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 05:01 PM   #135
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This thread is about...or was originally...about political violence as in "Left". Personal revenge acts such as the killing of the reporter is not political violence. Neither were the BLM protests or "burning down Wendy's and CVS". Those had to do with real or perceived racism by law enforcement. [/hilite]Apparently, you need to be reminded that 97% of the BLM protests were peaceful and most of the looting and violence that did occur was not related to BLM at all. But you wouldn't know that to listen to Trump and the far right.
All of the rioting and the arson was in direct retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons.
Well, yeah...which is exactly what I said in my post you quoted. Once again: how is "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons" political violence by the Left?

The fires and looting and destruction was not only broadcast on Fox News. All America saw it and it totally killed a lot of support mainstream America had for the struggle.
No one is saying it didn't happen, but who was behind it and committing most of that looting and destruction is what is being misrepresented by the likes of Trump when they claim it was left-wing extremists.

However something tells me you cannot understand why that would be.
And something tells me that most people, including you, are ignorant of what the investigations into those fires and looting and destruction and other violence found: 97% of demonstrations were peaceful:

Quote:
Only 3.7 percent of the protests involved property damage or vandalism. Some portion of these involved neither police nor protesters, but people engaging in vandalism or looting alongside the protests.

In short, our data suggest that 96.3 percent of events involved no property damage or police injuries, and in 97.7 percent of events, no injuries were reported among participants, bystanders or police.

These figures should correct the narrative that the protests were overtaken by rioting and vandalism or violence. Such claims are false. Incidents in which there was protester violence or property destruction should be regarded as exceptional — and not representative of the uprising as a whole.
... and most of the destruction was caused by criminal opportunists and organized gangs who took advantage of the police either being in another part of the city or occupied with the protests:

Quote:
On the afternoon of Sunday, May 31, a handful of demonstrators carrying signs gathered at a major intersection in the Seattle suburb. The crowd quickly grew to 40. Then, after two men got on cellphones, 300 more showed up, then 1,000 white, Black and brown.

“It was a tsunami of people, and they just started running,” Mylett said. “I didn’t hear George Floyd’s name once. I didn’t hear, ‘Police reform!’ They just scattered throughout the city. … They used tactics we’ve never seen before.”

Mylett said faux protesters, many dressed in black with hoodies, gloves and COVID-19 masks, ransacked shops and caused millions of dollars in losses. Some ran from one business to the next, trailed by vehicles that stopped outside high-end stores, loaded up, and moved on.

“It’s so unfortunate that peaceful protests got hijacked by criminal networks using them for cover," Mylett said. "How do you ignore that this tactic was being used from coast to coast, north to south?
Quote:
But police, witnesses and videos reveal a different phenomenon from California to New York: Crowds that came together and evaporated with the unseen coordination of a flash mob, using the protests as a cover to loot high-end shops.

“It was a game of whack-a-mole," said Jennifer Tejada, police chief in Emeryville, California, an Oakland suburb. "They have scouts. They have caravans of cars… We had upwards of 1,000 people doing that.”
Quote:
“These were criminals, and they were using an opportunity," Tejada said. "It’s all under the cover of George Floyd’s death… It’s disheartening.”
Quote:
Police typically weren't around or didn't interrupt the invaders. Blocks or miles away, officers in riot gear monitored demonstrators, sometimes scrapping with them.

It remains unclear how many shopping districts and malls were plundered by similar onslaughts nationwide, or to what extent organized criminal operations overlapped with peaceful demonstrations. Authorities are still trying to learn whether the raids simply reflect the power of smartphones or something more calculated.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 05:07 PM   #136
Hercules56
Master Poster

Well, yeah...which is exactly what I said in my post you quoted. Once again: how is "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons" political violence by the Left?

No one is saying it didn't happen, but who was behind it and committing most of that looting and destruction is what is being misrepresented by the likes of Trump when they claim it was left-wing extremists.

And something tells me that most people, including you, are ignorant of what the investigations into those fires and looting and destruction and other violence found: 97% of demonstrations were peaceful:

... and most of the destruction was caused by criminal opportunists and organized gangs who took advantage of the police either being in another part of the city or occupied with the protests:

Ah, so you agree with me that the violence and arson during BLM protests was completely and utterly unjustified and unacceptable, and all involved with the looting, arson and violence should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent and given zero leniency. Wonderful.

Unfortunately, many on the Left felt the arson and violence and looting was justified or at least, understandable. It was basically a "persecuted community who had finally had enough".

So my question is: which was it? Anonymous opportunist criminals who took advantage of the political turmoil, or persecuted minorities who were expressing justified outrage?
Old 13th September 2022, 05:29 PM   #137
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, so you agree with me that the violence and arson during BLM protests was completely and utterly unjustified and unacceptable, and all involved with the looting, arson and violence should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent and given zero leniency. Wonderful.
Did I ever say otherwise? But you're moving the goalposts here to the other side of the field. That was never the topic: it was YOUR claim that it was "violence from the Left".

So you agree with me that it was not political or from the Left but was instead "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons". Wonderful.

Quote:
Unfortunately, many on the Left felt the arson and violence and looting was justified or at least, understandable. It was basically a "persecuted community who had finally had enough".
Some of it was by a "persecuted community who had finally had enough", which is a fact. Being "understandable" does not mean it was "justified". I can understand why someone who is relentlessly bullied loses it and reacts in violence. It does not mean they are justified in committing that violence.

Quote:
So my question is: which was it? Anonymous opportunist criminals who took advantage of the political turmoil,

What part of the turmoil not being "political" are you still not understanding? It had nothing to do with politics. It was a "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons" as you said yourself. Please try and stay consistent.

Quote:
or persecuted minorities who were expressing justified outrage?
Expressing justified outrage is what the protesters were doing in peaceful protests. That did not mean the looting and other destruction were justified.
Old 13th September 2022, 05:35 PM   #138
Hercules56
Master Poster

Did I ever say otherwise? But you're moving the goalposts here to the other side of the field. That was never the topic: it was YOUR claim that it was "violence from the Left".

So you agree with me that it was not political or from the Left but was instead "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons". Wonderful.

Some of it was by a "persecuted community who had finally had enough", which is a fact. Being "understandable" does not mean it was "justified". I can understand why someone who is relentlessly bullied loses it and reacts in violence. It does not mean they are justified in committing that violence.

What part of the turmoil not being "political" are you still not understanding? It had nothing to do with politics. It was a "retaliation to police violence against unarmed black persons" as you said yourself. Please try and stay consistent.

Expressing justified outrage is what the protesters were doing in peaceful protests. That did not mean the looting and other destruction were justified.

I know many people on the Left who understood and made excuses for the violence, looting and arson.

I understand the anger, but I did not understand the violence, looting or arson. I don't believe such actions can be intelligently "understood" in a modern democracy full of many options for peaceful & non-violent change. I believe such actions were ignorant, selfish & lazy.
Old 13th September 2022, 05:51 PM   #139
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I know many people on the Left who understood and made excuses for the violence, looting and arson.
Then they are just as wrong as those on the Right who make excuses for the inexcusable. Who makes excuses for the organized looting by gangs that had nothing to do with the protests and a fact that you seem still unwilling to recognize? None that I'm aware of.

Quote:
I understand the anger, but I did not understand the violence, looting or arson.
It's very understandable...but again...understanding does not mean approving of something.
That most of it was not affiliated with the organized protests but by opportunists and gangs still eludes you.

Quote:
I don't believe such actions can be intelligently "understood" in a modern democracy full of many options for peaceful & non-violent change. I believe such actions were ignorant, selfish & lazy.

If you cannot understand how the Black community can have so much anger over hundreds of years of continuing racism, then you are part of the problem. Your inability....or unwillingness...to understand that anger is the result of ignorance and/or laziness. Once again: understanding is not justifying or condoning violence.
Old 13th September 2022, 05:54 PM   #140
Hercules56
Master Poster

Then they are just as wrong as those on the Right who make excuses for the inexcusable. Who makes excuses for the organized looting by gangs that had nothing to do with the protests and a fact that you seem still unwilling to recognize? None that I'm aware of.

It's very understandable...but again...understanding does not mean approving of something.
That most of it was not affiliated with the organized protests but by opportunists and gangs still eludes you.

If you cannot understand how the Black community can have so much anger over hundreds of years of continuing racism, then you are part of the problem. Your inability....or unwillingness...to understand that anger is the result of ignorance and/or laziness. Once again: understanding is not justifying or condoning violence.
I understand anger, I don't understand useless violence. Justified anger can be expressed in many useful & fruitful & intelligent ways.

Or it can be expressed through the riots we saw in 2020. Riots that you seem to "understand".
Old 13th September 2022, 06:03 PM   #141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I understand anger, I don't understand useless violence. Justified anger can be expressed in many useful & fruitful & intelligent ways.

Or it can be expressed through the riots we saw in 2020. Riots that you seem to "understand".
Yes, I do 'understand' them: I don't justify or condone the violence.

I 'understand' why an abused woman or incest victim may kill their abuser. That does not mean I condone or justify it.

You seem resistant to or incapable of understanding the difference.

I suspect you are a black and white, rather than a shades of gray, thinker.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th September 2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 13th September 2022, 06:23 PM   #142
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yup. I put this very thing to the forums some months ago - that much of the violence and looting at BLM protests was caused by people who had nothing whatsoever to do with BLM - using the protest as cover for their own, unrelated criminality. I even gave an example of BLM protesters trying to catch and stop a guy wearing black, in a hoodie and a mask who was using an umbrella to attack people.

I got shut down on my viewpoint at the time, so its great to see that I was right all along.
Old 13th September 2022, 06:32 PM   #143
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yup. I put this very thing to the forums some months ago - that much of the violence and looting at BLM protests was caused by people who had nothing whatsoever to do with BLM - using the protest as cover for their own, unrelated criminality. I even gave an example of BLM protesters trying to catch and stop a guy wearing black, in a hoodie and a mask who was using an umbrella to attack people.

I got shut down on my viewpoint at the time, so its great to see that I was right all along.
You were. But some people either can't ...or refuse...to see that.
Old 14th September 2022, 07:43 AM   #144
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's entirely fraudulent either, but I think a non-trivial amount of mayhem was instigated in order to blunt public sympathy.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 07:55 AM   #145
Hercules56
Master Poster

Yes, I do 'understand' them: I don't justify or condone the violence.

I 'understand' why an abused woman or incest victim may kill their abuser. That does not mean I condone or justify it.

You seem resistant to or incapable of understanding the difference.

I suspect you are a black and white, rather than a shades of gray, thinker.
When it comes to useless, ignorant, unnecessary violence when there are perfectly effective and fruitful forms of non-violent action that can be taken to tackle social problems, yes I am very black & white. I do not support or condone or "understand" political violence unless there are NO peaceful alternatives left.

And I think your comparison to a battered wife or rape victim is a false and dishonest one.

I wonder: what is your reaction to MAGA people who "understand" the January 6 violence as they believe all legal methods to solve the issue had been exhausted, and they were being fed endless News that the election had been stolen from them by massive fraud? Are you as understanding and sympathetic towards their frustration?

Last edited by Hercules56; 14th September 2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 14th September 2022, 10:44 AM   #146
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to useless, ignorant, unnecessary violence when there are perfectly effective and fruitful forms of non-violent action that can be taken to tackle social problems, yes I am very black & white. I do not support or condone or "understand" political violence unless there are NO peaceful alternatives left.

And I think your comparison to a battered wife or rape victim is a false and dishonest one.

I wonder: what is your reaction to MAGA people who "understand" the January 6 violence as they believe all legal methods to solve the issue had been exhausted, and they were being fed endless News that the election had been stolen from them by massive fraud? Are you as understanding and sympathetic towards their frustration?
We'd better try and understand or else we'll be caught unprepared with no idea what to do about it.

In the case of protests against police abuse that turn violent, there are desirable solutions that we can count on to reduce the violence. Not as a matter of being intimidated into concessions, but knowing that we've got a flawed system that violent backlash is a consequence of, and desiring to improve it.

In the case of 2020 election deniers that take matters into their own hands, what solutions are there that we're disregarding?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 10:57 AM   #147
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You continue to conflate condoning, supporting, and/or justifying something with understanding why it happened. I think we are using the word "understand" in different ways. You are using it to mean "to be sympathetic" which is one definition, whereas I'm using it as meaning "to have knowledge of something" which is another definition. I have knowledge of the reasons why hundreds of years of discrimination, prejudice, racism...often at the hands of law enforcement...turns into rage. Do you not?

Quote:
Why?

Quote:
This question is yet more evidence that you mistakenly think understanding why something happens is being sympathetic to it. Do I 'understand' why MAGA people 'understand' the Jan 6 violence? Yes, I do...for the very reasons you gave yourself. That doesn't mean they are right, but those are the reasons they feel the way they do. Being fed constant lies about the election by certain media, Trump and his political cronies is why they did what they did. You understand that because you listed them yourself.

I really don't know how to make it any more clear to you than that.
Old 14th September 2022, 12:15 PM   #148
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

My reaction is: Wilfully allowing yourself to be misinformed resulting in your own stupidity and/or ignorance are not excuses, and anyone who believes the 2020 election was stolen, or that massive voter fraud took place is stupid and ignorant and wilfully misinformed!

(I don't want to stray off topic here, by I will state an example of this)

Firstly, there is no evidence of widespread election fraud. Those who went to court over 60 times to challenge election results, NEVER claimed election fraud because...
a. they knew they didn't have any evidence.
b. they knew that they would be breaking the law if they lied to the court.

Secondly, the biggest "Big Lie" spouters; Ron Paul, Matt Gaetz, Gym Jordan, Marjorie Traitor Greene, Lauren Bubblehead, and the My Pillow Nutbar have all been screaming about how "we've got the evidence and we're going to release it any day now" for the last 18 months.... crickets!

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:34 AM   #149
Bogative
Master Poster

A 41-year-old man runs down and kills an 18-year-old with his car after an argument at a political street dance.

Quote:
Court papers show Brandt called 911 around 2:30 a.m. Sunday and told the 911 dispatcher that he just hit Ellingson, claiming the teen was part of a Republican extremist group and was calling people to come get Brandt after a political argument.
Must've been a fascist.

https://www.inforum.com/news/north-d...itical-dispute
Old 20th September 2022, 09:47 AM   #150
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
A 41-year-old man runs down and kills an 18-year-old with his car after an argument at a political street dance.

Must've been a fascist.

Quote:
Police say Brandt was drunk when he hit and killed Ellingson with his SUV in an alleyway.

A judge ordered Brandt held on $50,000, which he objected, saying he's not a flight risk.

"I have a job, a life and a house and things I don't want to see go by the wayside — family that are very important to me," Brandt told the judge

Probably Young Turks will call this self defense, and rant about right-wing threats.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:56 AM   #151
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Probably Young Turks will call this self defense, and rant about right-wing threats.
Or label him a "fascist" and celebrate his death.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:03 PM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Odd...no one I've seen has called Ellingson a fascist. Nor have I seen anyone celebrating his death, or defending Brandt in any way. Nor do we know what the "political argument" was about or what political ideology....Dem, Independent, or GOP...Brandt subscribes to. All we know as of now is that Brandt said Ellingson belonged to a Republican extremist group. Brandt could be a Republican who just isn't an extremist and they argued over that. But you all jump to the conclusion that Brandt is a 'leftie' without any evidence.

No matter what Brandt's political views or party, what he did was absolutely wrong and he needs to face the consequences of his actions. Sorry if that disappoints anyone who was expecting...or needing...a different response.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:14 PM   #153
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post

Must've been a fascist.

I'm pleased you posted this inconsequential example. It helps illustrate how hugely consequential right wing violence is in comparison.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:40 PM   #154
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When your examples are so incredibly weak ... What the hell, amp it up with speculation!
Old 20th September 2022, 01:42 PM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't think it's a smart idea for our resident right-wingers to start comparing the number of people deliberately murdered for political reasons by the killers' political affiliations/views. One side is going to come off looking much worse than the other according to the ADL:

Quote:
New York, NY, February 15, 2022 … Right-wing extremists were linked to at least 26 extremist-related murders in the United States in 2021 and have been responsible for 75 percent of such murders in the last ten years, according to new data from ADL (Anti-Defamation League).
Quote:
“This data underscores an indisputable fact: far-right extremists pose the greatest domestic terror threat to the United States,” said ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt.

Eleven congregants killed at attack of synagogue by right-wing exrtemist.

Twenty-three killed in El Paso, TX by right-wing extremist.

Ten killed in Buffalo supermarket attack by right-winger.
Old 20th September 2022, 01:44 PM   #156
Warp12
King of Kings

I really don't think it's a smart idea for our resident right-wingers to start comparing the number of people deliberately murdered for political reasons by the killers' political affiliations/views. One side is going to come off looking much worse than the other according to the ADL:

Eleven congregants killed at attack of synagogue by right-wing exrtemist.

Twenty-three killed in El Paso, TX by right-wing extremist.

Ten killed in Buffalo supermarket attack by right-winger.

There is a separate thread for right-wing terrorism/violence:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=360816

Last edited by Warp12; 20th September 2022 at 01:48 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:56 PM   #157
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There is a separate thread for right-wing terrorism/violence:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=360816
Thanks. As it's appropriate in both threads, I'll post it there, too.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:30 PM   #158
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Here we go:

Quote:
A community is mourning the loss of an 18-year-old man from Grace City, North Dakota, as investigators look into what led up to a deadly crash. Foster County Deputies were called to a hit-and-run that happened in an alleyway near Johnston Street and Jones Avenue in McHenry, ND.

Court documents say at 2:35 Sunday morning, 41-year-old Shannon Brandt called 911 to report that he had hit a pedestrian because he was threatening him. Brandt told State Radio that the pedestrian was part of a Republican extremist group and that he was afraid they were “coming to get him.” The pedestrian has been identified in a GoFundMe page as 18-year-old Cayler Ellingson.

After visiting the scene where the incident happened, deputies went to Brandt’s house in Glenfield, ND, which is about 12 minutes from the crash scene. Brandt admitted to consuming alcohol before the incident, and stated he hit Ellingson with his car because he had a political argument with him. Brandt also admitted to deputies that he initially left the crash scene, then returned to call 911, but left again before deputies could arrive.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 10:05 PM   #159
Susheel
Master Poster

So, his being Left or Right had nothing to do with it. An aggressive drunk who let it go out of hand. Not many of them out there, are there?
Old 20th September 2022, 11:02 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here we go:
No new info in that quote that hasn't been already addressed above when that incident was first posted above at 9:34 AM...12 hours before yours.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics