IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags impeachment , Starr

Old 13th September 2022, 11:08 PM   #1
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Ken Starr dead

(Wasn't sure where to put this, since it doesn't seem to fit in any of the other threads.)

Noted ass-wipe Ken Starr died from complications related to surgery.

Starr died on September 13, 2022 at Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center in Houston of complications from surgery.

Starr was the Special Council who was given the task of investigating the Clintons and Whitewater. (This eventually morphed into an impeachment involving oral sex. Ok, technically lying about it. But still... he had to stray pretty far from his original job to end up looking at that...)

Of course, his pro-impeachment stance seemed to disappear when Trump was president, and he had no qualms defending him, because now impeachment was bad.

(He was also noted for having to resign from a position at Baylor university, when the university was found to be negligent in dealing with cases of sexual assault.)

He will not be missed. Well, unless he owed money to someone. Then they might miss him.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 11:29 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

To be fair, I don't think he is more than 50% responsible for the rise of the GQP.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:52 AM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Noted ass-wipe Ken Starr died from complications related to surgery.
I hear laxative sales have taken off thanks to all the people who want to **** on his grave.
Old 14th September 2022, 03:50 AM   #4
Lurch
Master Poster

Good riddance.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 03:56 AM   #5
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Starr did a great deal of legal work for that POS Trump, and now I wonder if Trump actually paid Starr for that work.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 04:05 AM   #6
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Oily little fascist pervert.
Old 14th September 2022, 04:30 AM   #7
Warp12
King of Kings

These tributes to Ken Starr are heartwarming. There is nothing like dancing on the grave of a political enemy, I suppose. For some, anyway.

Quote:
Starr would later receive authority to conduct additional investigations, including the firing of White House Travel Office personnel, potential political abuse of confidential FBI files, Madison Guaranty, Rose Law Firm, Paula Jones lawsuit and, most notoriously, possible perjury and obstruction of justice to cover up President Clinton's sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky.

No matter what else, I commend him for his work to expose the corrupt Clintons. Was he politically motivated? In some cases, I'm sure. But that is the law of the land in that arena.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th September 2022 at 04:32 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 04:58 AM   #8
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

He was a major tool in the GOP's then relatively new strategy of gaining control by any means. Funny how deeply concerned he was with Bill Clinton's consensual blowjob, but then seemingly couldn't give less of a **** about students at Baylor being raped while he was president of the university. And of course he was on Jeffrey Epstein's defense team when he helped him get 13 months work release as punishment for the statutory rape of numerous underage girls.

**** that guy.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 05:10 AM   #9
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
These tributes to Ken Starr are heartwarming. There is nothing like dancing on the grave of a political enemy, I suppose. For some, anyway.

No matter what else, I commend him for his work to expose the corrupt Clintons. Was he politically motivated? In some cases, I'm sure. But that is the law of the land in that arena.
Not edgy.

ETA: **** that hypocrite.

Last edited by Resume; 14th September 2022 at 05:13 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 05:57 AM   #10
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
He spent millions of taxpayers' money on the world's most expensive blowjob. ******* *******.
Old 14th September 2022, 06:26 AM   #11
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing like dancing on the grave of a political enemy? Better to have done it the right-wing way, make death threats against him while he's still around?

Quote:
The federal judge who authorized the warrant to search for classified material at Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s beachfront home and club, became a target. On pro-Trump message boards, several threats were issued against him and his family, with one person writing, “I see a rope around his neck.Link to New York Times report
Example from Facebook:
Quote:
"A quicker way to get rid of Pelosi would be a bullet to the head."
Quote:
Marjorie Taylor Greene likes this post
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 06:50 AM   #12
arayder
Master Poster

But it's summer and we're run-in' outta' ice.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 07:02 AM   #13
Pacal
Graduate Poster

What I remember most about Mr. Starr was after failing to find anything corrupt about the Clintons in the actual Whitewater affair he with ally Linda Tripp worked, quite deliberately, on creating a perjury trap for President Clinton.

The way Monica Lewinsky was manipulated by the both of them is bluntly appalling. Not that I in anyway approve of President Clinton's really stupid behavior in all this towards Monica Lewinsky. I could get into the whole part about Monica being held for a couple of days by Starr until she agreed to cooperate among other dubious behavior.

Mr. Starr utterly failed "expose" the "corruption" of the Clinton's. Instead he set up an entrapement and Clinton very stupidly lied under oath about about "having sex with that woman" and Starr and the idiot Republicans decided that that was an impeachable offence, lying under oath about having sex?! Really!!! That is a high crime and misdemeanour????

This was all carefully planned. Also Starr's attempt to create masss public disgust by including, in detail, descriptions of the sexual acts that Monica and Clinton performed failed utterly. I find it so interesting that a political party so willing to impeach a President over lying about sex in a civil suit is os very unwilling to even consider impeaching Trump for vastly more serious stuff. Oh well. Of course with Clinton it was different - he was a Democrat not a Republican.

Starr's legal career before the whole Clinton fiasco did involve some questionable activities like defnding Tabacco companies in court from claims of damages etc.

And after the Clinton fiasco Starr showed his true colours. His lack of interest in the sexual horror stories at Baylor along with his helping Trump avoid being convicted in his Impeachment trial indicate clearly his political bias. Thus we find out that when it is Trump up for Impeachment, Impeachment is bad for the country and strangely enough Starr was on Jeffrey Epstein's legal team that helped him years ago secure a sweetheart deal.

Mr. Starr was in the end another political hack and not a principled person.

Last edited by Pacal; 14th September 2022 at 07:26 AM.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 08:40 AM   #14
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Whether people 'dance on the grave of their enemy' depends on how that enemy conducts himself.

For example, John McCain was a long time republican senator and former presidental candidate, with a very strong right-wing voting record. (In other words, "the enemy".) Yet when he died, he was seen by at least some on the political left as someone who acted with at least some integrity, and seemed to get at least some respect.

Ken Starr was no McCain. He did not act with integrity, and thus received much more scorn. (I pointed out his significant hypocrisy and his moral failures to deal with crimes at Baylor... things you seem to have ignored.)

Quote:
No matter what else, I commend him for his work to expose the corrupt Clintons.
The only 'corruption' he found was lying about oral sex. OOooooo.... Big deal.

Couldn't find anything on Whitewater. Couldn't find anything on, well, anything else. Color me unimpressed.

Quote:
Was he politically motivated? In some cases, I'm sure. But that is the law of the land in that arena.
If its the "law of the land", it is largely because HE MADE IT THAT WAY.

Had Starr actually acted with integrity, maybe the republican party wouldn't have felt so compelled to go down the route of "power at all costs" (even if it involves nothing more than smear tactics").

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 08:49 AM   #15
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
The way Monica Lewinsky was manipulated by the both of them is bluntly appalling.

Lewinsky is an interesting person. In her youth she was almost criminally naÔve. But she seems to have learned from her life and these days comes across as funny and wise.

Also, she ages very gracefully, something she attributes to diet, exercise, and a ****-ton of plastic surgery.

Anyway, her take on Starr's death:
Quote:
as iím sure many can understand, my thoughts about ken starr bring up complicated feelingsÖ but of more importance, is that i imagine itís a painful loss for those who love him.

That's much more graceful than any treatment she ever got from him.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 08:55 AM   #16
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Had Starr actually acted with integrity, maybe the republican party wouldn't have felt so compelled to go down the route of "power at all costs" (even if it involves nothing more than smear tactics").
Starr was a drop in the bucket, in that regard. In that particular era, Newt Gingrich was far more instrumental.
Old 14th September 2022, 09:03 AM   #17
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Quote:
Starr was a drop in the bucket, in that regard. In that particular era, Newt Gingrich was far more instrumental.
True, Gingrich probably had more influence, but the way I see it it, Starr's role was much more high profile. Gingrich was the engine, Starr was the gas pedal.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th September 2022, 09:13 AM   #18
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Whether people 'dance on the grave of their enemy' depends on how that enemy conducts himself.

For example, John McCain was a long time republican senator and former presidental candidate, with a very strong right-wing voting record. (In other words, "the enemy".) Yet when he died, he was seen by at least some on the political left as someone who acted with at least some integrity, and seemed to get at least some respect.

Ken Starr was no McCain. He did not act with integrity, and thus received much more scorn. (I pointed out his significant hypocrisy and his moral failures to deal with crimes at Baylor... things you seem to have ignored.)

The only 'corruption' he found was lying about oral sex. OOooooo.... Big deal.

Couldn't find anything on Whitewater. Couldn't find anything on, well, anything else. Color me unimpressed.

If its the "law of the land", it is largely because HE MADE IT THAT WAY.

Somehow, "Investigate the Whitewater affair", which, IIRC, did result in one or two convictions, but no evidence turned up that the Clintons were involved in anything illegal, changed to "Find something, anything at all we can pin on Bill Clinton." He was like the cop in "Les Miserable" (whose name I don't remember) who pursued the hero for years because he escaped from prison to which he'd been sentenced for the heinous crime of stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving family.

Trump loves to claim "witch hunt" any time he comes under scrutiny, but Starr conducted a real witch hunt against the Clintons.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 11:22 AM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's quite some virtue signaling from the same person who calls women "split tails", doesn't care if the homeless die prematurely, and if children are forced to give birth to children themselves due to rape/incest. And those are just some of the less than virtuous things you've said that I can remember off the top of my head.

Quote:
Evidence that the Clintons are 'corrupt'? The GOP has attempted for decades with investigation after investigation to find dirt on them and all they could come up with was "Bill lied about having oral sex". But they did a masterful job in convincing conservatives like you that the Clintons are the spawn of the devil.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 11:45 AM   #20
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Should we wait for you to provide the actual evidence from Starr that the Clintons are corrupt? Seems like it would be a rather futile wait.
Old 14th September 2022, 12:17 PM   #21
sts60
Illuminator

Good riddance. He was an evil little pious hypocrite who specialized in supporting violence against women. He’s probably in Hell now; maybe he’ll learn something there.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 12:46 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Evidence that the Clintons are 'corrupt'? The GOP has attempted for decades with investigation after investigation to find dirt on them and all they could come up with was "Bill lied about having oral sex". But they did a masterful job in convincing conservatives like you that the Clintons are the spawn of the devil.

Of course no thread about Starr could completely distance itself from Clinton apologism. Around here, anyway. After all, once we strip through the other BS, that is why Dems hate him the most...for putting a spotlight on the corrupt and lying Clintons.

As I say, that was his greatest gift to politics, imo. A gift that pays dividends to this day.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th September 2022 at 12:48 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 12:48 PM   #23
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Of course no thread about Starr could completely distance itself from Clinton apologism. Around here, anyway. After all, once we strip through the other BS, that is why Dems hate him the most...for putting a spotlight on the corrupt and lying Clintons.

As I say, that was his greatest gift to politics, imo.
Still waiting to hear about this supposed "Clinton corruption" he exposed.

Why haven't you given the previous poster a response?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th September 2022, 12:50 PM   #24
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

As I say, that was his greatest gift to politics, imo. A gift that pays dividends to this day.
No evidence then? I don’t give a flying **** about any Clinton. Merely want to see you support your fantasy.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:01 PM   #25
Warp12
King of Kings

Still waiting to hear about this supposed "Clinton corruption" he exposed.

Why haven't you given the previous poster a response?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No evidence then? I donít give a flying **** about any Clinton. Merely want to see you support your fantasy.

This isn't a thread where I try to convince anyone that water is wet. That is a fruitless exercise. I am simply expressing my appreciation for what Starr accomplished. Myself, and many others, are appreciative of his work regarding the Clintons.

Outside of that, I don't care too much about what he did politically. I don't see any reason to dance on his grave, that is for certain.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:16 PM   #26
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This isn't a thread where I try to convince anyone that water is wet. That is a fruitless exercise. I am simply expressing my appreciation for what Starr accomplished. Myself, and many others, are appreciative of his work regarding the Clintons.
You are a faithful, true believer.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:28 PM   #27
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You are a faithful, true believer.
No ****.
Old 14th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #28
arayder
Master Poster

Outside of that, I don't care too much about what he did politically. I don't see any reason to dance on his grave, that is for certain.
Hey, Warp, it's just politics!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 02:02 PM   #29
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Your appreciation is misplaced. Starr did not do what you claim he did.
Old 14th September 2022, 02:19 PM   #30
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

One can think that Bill Clinton was a philandering ******* and think that Ken Starr was a political hack who tried to oust a democratically elected president on ******** charges purely out of party partisanship.

As others have noted, Ken Starr couldn't uncover any corruption. That's why he set that pathetic trap about a blowjob.

Do you have any actual evidence of illegal activities involving either Clinton uncovered by Ken State's "spotlight"? Or is this a "trust your feelings" thing?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 02:22 PM   #31
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

You're reminding me a lot of Bubba's recent (and final) claim about the CDC.
Old 14th September 2022, 02:33 PM   #32
Doubt
Philosopher

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/0...r-republicans/

Bill Clinton was corrupts in his personal life. But then so was Ken Star.
Old 14th September 2022, 02:36 PM   #33
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
One can think that Bill Clinton was a philandering ******* and think that Ken Starr was a political hack who tried to oust a democratically elected president on ******** charges purely out of party partisanship.

As others have noted, Ken Starr couldn't uncover any corruption. That's why he set that pathetic trap about a blowjob.

Do you have any actual evidence of illegal activities involving either Clinton uncovered by Ken State's "spotlight"? Or is this a "trust your feelings" thing?

Even if all he did was present the evidence against Bill, see him impeached on perjury and obstruction charges, bring further to light the Paula Jones situation (#shetoo), and expose the corruption "surrounding" the Clintons with Whitewater...that is good enough for me.
Old 14th September 2022, 02:58 PM   #34
arayder
Master Poster

Even if all he did was present the evidence against Bill, see him impeached on perjury and obstruction charges, bring further to light the Paula Jones situation (#shetoo), and expose the corruption "surrounding" the Clintons with Whitewater...that is good enough for me.
Again, not demonstrated.

Are we to assume your comments are just political and not factual?
Old 14th September 2022, 03:17 PM   #35
Pacal
Graduate Poster

We could talk about Ken Starr's extra-marital affair among other things that make Ken very much a flawed human being. However lets leave that aside for the time being.

I am absolutely puzzled by the idea that he should be appreciated for putting a spotlight on the corruption of the Clintons. The Clintons have both been investigated over and over again by not just Kenneth Starr but by others and what has been found, aside from the blowjob stuff, is literally nothing showing corruption. So why should anyone appreciate another failure among many? In the truly serious stuff involving Whitewater Starr found nothing against the Clintons, or any matter related to actual corruption. Instead we got this absolutely farcical blowjob crap. Outside of the U.S., and in I would think, this of course only occasioned laughter - this is a scandal?! Of course some of the more pious and partisan would feed on this nonsense while the rest of us laughed at the absurdity.

And if you have read, seen any interviews, with Monica Lewinsky or read anything by her concerning Kenneth Starr you find out very quickly that if she has a low opinion of William Clinton her feelings about Kenneth Starr and Linda Tripp are much, much lower.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 03:28 PM   #36
Warp12
King of Kings

and expose the corruption "surrounding" the Clintons with Whitewater...that is good enough for me.
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Again, not demonstrated.

What are you talking about, lol?

Quote:
And then the Whitewater investigation begins, and a three-judge panel picks him to be the independent counsel to investigate Bill Clinton's Whitewater dealings, which was, you know, a tangled tale at best. There were a lot of convoluted aspects to it. But Starr actually, you know, towards the start brought some successful prosecutions. He prosecuted Jim and Susan McDougal, who had been Bill and Hillary Clinton's business partners in the Whitewater land deal, for fraud.
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/13/11228...has-died-at-76

Last edited by Warp12; 14th September 2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 14th September 2022, 03:32 PM   #37
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Lewinsky is an interesting person. In her youth she was almost criminally naÔve. But she seems to have learned from her life and these days comes across as funny and wise.

Also, she ages very gracefully, something she attributes to diet, exercise, and a ****-ton of plastic surgery.

Anyway, her take on Starr's death:

Quote:
as iím sure many can understand, my thoughts about ken starr bring up complicated feelingsÖ but of more importance, is that i imagine itís a painful loss for those who love him.

That's much more graceful than any treatment she ever got from him.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
And if you have read, seen any interviews, with Monica Lewinsky or read anything by her concerning Kenneth Starr you find out very quickly that if she has a low opinion of William Clinton her feelings about Kenneth Starr and Linda Tripp are much, much lower.

Which makes Lewinsky's comment on his death all the more striking. Someone she hated and despised died, and she had the grace to acknowledge that is a sad thing for those close to him.

I'm not sure how many die-hard Clinton haters realize the Lewinsky disliked Starr. I am guessing many assumed she viewed Starr as some sort of savior.

And as others have said, it is equally possible to view Bill Clinton as a serial womanizer who cheated on his wife many times and preyed upon a very naÔve young intern and also recognize Starr as a despicable hypocrite who abused his position to conduct an investigation far beyond the bounds of what was intended.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 03:48 PM   #38
arayder
Master Poster

Yeah, you are right again, Warp. It's all just political!
Old 14th September 2022, 04:06 PM   #39
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Again, not demonstrated.

Ya think?
Ok, just a rhetorical question then.
Old 14th September 2022, 04:46 PM   #40
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

I won't dance on his grave, I assume he had friends or family that will miss him and I've had enough of that myself I don't wish it on anyone.

But I won't mourn him at all. The world is a better place without people like him who are so warped and twisted that their position is that anything you can do to the "other side" is not only expected, but is actually fair play and the right thing to do. We'd all benefit from less of that.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics