IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags impeachment , Starr

Old 14th September 2022, 04:46 PM   #41
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Neither Bill Clinton nor Hillary Clinton was ever prosecuted, after three separate inquiries found insufficient evidence linking them with the criminal conduct of others related to the land deal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_controversy

But being "adjacent" is enough to tar-and-feather them, forever, it seems. Unlike Donny who has been in the thick of crime all his life, but is somehow pure as the driven snow.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 04:58 PM   #42
Reformed Offlian
Muse

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This isn't a thread where I try to convince anyone that water is wet.
That's okay. Ken Starr couldn't convince anyone, after years of effort (using your analogy) that water was wet, either. At very least, he could not make the claim that water was wet stick legally.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 05:23 PM   #43
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
That's okay. Ken Starr couldn't convince anyone, after years of effort (using your analogy) that water was wet, either. At very least, he could not make the claim that water was wet stick legally.
Starr was trying to convince people that water retains the memory of things it has touched from long in the past, and that just a few drops will magically convict political opponents. What is known in the trade as "woo woo". Or "lies".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 05:27 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My dudes holding paper since 1998.
Old 14th September 2022, 05:34 PM   #45
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Of course no thread about Starr could completely distance itself from Clinton apologism. Around here, anyway. After all, once we strip through the other BS, that is why Dems hate him the most...for putting a spotlight on the corrupt and lying Clintons.

As I say, that was his greatest gift to politics, imo. A gift that pays dividends to this day.
There was a woman who claimed that Clinton raped her but was ignored. Lewinsky as victim was made a national joke and treated appallingly.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 06:29 PM   #46
arayder
Master Poster

These tributes to Ken Starr are heartwarming. There is nothing like dancing on the grave of a political enemy, I suppose. For some, anyway.
Well, I look at it this way, Warp. . .it's one less old white dude we have to replace.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 08:48 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You are a faithful, true believer.
Is that the new term for a Nordic mythological creature that lives under a bridge?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 09:04 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Of course no thread about Starr could completely distance itself from Clinton apologism. Around here, anyway. After all, once we strip through the other BS, that is why Dems hate him the most...for putting a spotlight on the corrupt and lying Clintons.

As I say, that was his greatest gift to politics, imo. A gift that pays dividends to this day.
Apologism is something you're very familiar with. Quack, quack, quack.

And still no evidence of the alleged "Clinton corruption". Hmmm....why is that, Warp?

This isn't a thread where I try to convince anyone that water is wet. That is a fruitless exercise. I am simply expressing my appreciation for what Starr accomplished. Myself, and many others, are appreciative of his work regarding the Clintons.

Outside of that, I don't care too much about what he did politically. I don't see any reason to dance on his grave, that is for certain.
It's good that you're not trying to convince anyone of anything because you aren't.

Even if all he did was present the evidence against Bill, see him impeached on perjury and obstruction charges, bring further to light the Paula Jones situation (#shetoo), and expose the corruption "surrounding" the Clintons with Whitewater...that is good enough for me.
What evidence other than he lied about getting a blow job from a consenting woman? Whitewater was a wash out. I'm surprised you aren't yelling "Benghazi!" "But her emails!".

What are you talking about, lol?

Quote:
Quote:
And then the Whitewater investigation begins, and a three-judge panel picks him to be the independent counsel to investigate Bill Clinton's Whitewater dealings, which was, you know, a tangled tale at best. There were a lot of convoluted aspects to it. But Starr actually, you know, towards the start brought some successful prosecutions. He prosecuted Jim and Susan McDougal, who had been Bill and Hillary Clinton's business partners in the Whitewater land deal, for fraud.
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/13/11228...has-died-at-76
There was evidence against them. What evidence was there against the Clintons? Oh, that's right. You can't present any. I'm shocked. Shocked to the core.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 09:24 PM   #49
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Can someone please let me know where his grave is so that when I come to the USA next year, I can go piss on it?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2022, 10:24 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Lets be clear on who Ken Starr really was

He was a person of questionable integriity who claimed to be a "good Christian man" yet he spent years trying to avoid accountability for a flurry of sexual assault claims at Baylor University.

He was obsessed with "getting" the Clintons, and was prepared to do anything, even intimidate and threaten witnesses when he could not get them to tell them what he wanted to hear. He actually had one, Susan McDougal, thrown into jail because she stood up to his bullying tactics. When he could not get the Clintons, because he could not find the evidence he needed, he switched to getting Bill Clinton for lying about a blow job.

He was poutraged by Bill Clinton's philandering, saying that it was evil when a Democratic president had sex with someone other than his wife, but he seemed perfectly fine with a football player raping a woman, to the point that he attempted to cover it up. He also had no problem lobbying for a Virginia school administrator (who admitted to molesting five children under the age of 14) to be sentenced to community service instead of jail.

Michael Tomasky of the Daily Beast summed up Starr better then I could: "He’s a political hack. A total partisan hatchet man. One of the most poisonous political figures of our time. No worse. One of the most poisonous public figures. Not just in politics, but in any realm. I’d sooner have O.J. over for dinner."

To paraphrase the Attorney General at the end of the movie "Shooter"... "Mr Starr, your moral compass is so ****** up, I'll be shocked if you manage to find your way back to the parking lot."

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2022 at 10:50 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 05:21 AM   #51
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Even if all he did was present the evidence against Bill...
Literally the only evidence he could find, which was that Clinton had had an embarrassing, but totally legal, sexual encounter with an intern.

Quote:
...see him impeached on perjury and obstruction charges...
Again, for lying about a blowjob - not for anything remotely illegal. Even in the context of Paula Jones's claims, a completely consensual sexual encounter with an adult, illicit or not, should never have been brought up.

Quote:
...bring further to light the Paula Jones situation...
I don't suppose you have any evidence proving her allegations, do you? And given that she's since come out as an enthusiastic Trump supporter I have to wonder how politically motivated her accusations were. It seems like someone who was sexually harassed would be less enamored of someone with a far worse history of sexual harassment and assault, whatever his party affiliation.

Quote:
...(#shetoo)...
What happened to (#splittails)?

Quote:
and expose the corruption "surrounding" the Clintons with Whitewater...that is good enough for me.
If you can't find any corruption actually involving the Clintons, then all you have is politically motivated guilt by association. So we're back to your claim about Ken Starr having "exposed the corruption of the Clintons" lacking any supporting evidence. You are, of course, free to "trust your feels", but most of us on this forum value actual evidence, of which you have none.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 15th September 2022 at 05:24 AM.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 09:48 AM   #52
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
But it's summer and we're run-in' outta' ice.
I’m tired of all these French postcards! I want me a real blowjob!
Old 15th September 2022, 09:56 AM   #53
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Peace? Prosperity? Low unemployment, terrific stock market, high consumer confidence? Hell, he deserves a blowjob!
—Heard at the time
Old 15th September 2022, 10:17 AM   #54
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Can someone please let me know where his grave is so that when I come to the USA next year, I can go piss on it?
Seconded!

Starr was so terribly upset at the sort-of sex that Clinton had with Lewinsky, and yet, later on when Starr was running that college, Starr tried to sweep several sexual assault issues under the rug so that he would not have to deal with them.

Also, after the Clinton impeachment, Starr took advocated for those horrible tobacco companies who were claiming that cigarettes do not cause cancer and the Starr went on to advocate for that POS Donald Trump.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 10:58 AM   #55
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I must have missed Warp's presentation of the evidence of the Clintons' 'corruption'. Can someone link me to it?

/s
Old 15th September 2022, 11:08 AM   #56
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I must have missed Warp's presentation of the evidence of the Clintons' 'corruption'. Can someone link me to it?

/s
Some of us have been waiting decades for evidence of Clinton corruption...
Old 15th September 2022, 11:12 AM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The Clintons are cunning...they buried it with Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:28 AM   #58
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This isn't a thread where I try to convince anyone that water is wet. That is a fruitless exercise. I am simply expressing my appreciation for what Starr accomplished. Myself, and many others, are appreciative of his work regarding the Clintons.

Outside of that, I don't care too much about what he did politically. I don't see any reason to dance on his grave, that is for certain.
Clintons are so corrupt, yet there hasn't been any evidence of said corruption.

Weird.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 11:53 AM   #59
sackett
Philosopher

Hey, smartcooky and crossbow! Don't you realize that urine was once a valuable commodity? It was used in making black powder. The French crown placed tubs at convenient street corners in Paris for patriotic subjects to leave their patriotic contributions to national defense.

And for all I know (or you two know!) traditional tanneries use it to cure fine leathers to this very day!

So a little respect here for your precious bodily fluids.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 12:11 PM   #60
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

I think the idea is that we are all expected to just “believe” without evidence just as our intrepid correspondent does.
Old 15th September 2022, 12:18 PM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You'll learn all about it at the next Benghazi hearing m
Old 15th September 2022, 12:23 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You'll learn all about it at the next Benghazi hearing m
It's been a while. We are due for one. But it will have to wait its turn. I do believe another hearing into HRC's email server is at the head of the line.
Old 15th September 2022, 12:36 PM   #63
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Clintons are so corrupt, yet there hasn't been any evidence of said corruption.

Weird.
It's kept in the same place as the evidence that Biden stole the election and the evidence that Obama is a thin-skinned narcissist.
Old 15th September 2022, 01:09 PM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's kept in the same place as the evidence that Biden stole the election and the evidence that Obama is a thin-skinned narcissist along with his real Kenyan birth certificate and Koran.
FTFY
Old 15th September 2022, 01:16 PM   #65
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's kept in the same place as the evidence that Biden stole the election and the evidence that Obama is a thin-skinned narcissist along with his real Kenyan birth certificate and Koran.
FTFY
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 15th September 2022, 01:42 PM   #66
sackett
Philosopher

Yeah n a nother thing!

Nobody better call Kenny Starr a nazi neither! I won't tolerate it!

It takes at least one ball to be a nazi.

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 01:45 PM   #67
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Nobody better call Kenny Starr a nazi neither! I won't tolerate it!

It takes at least one ball to be a nazi.
Despite my choice of video clip, Starr was no Nazi. I wouldn't even call him a proto-fascist, despite his choice of clientele. At least, not as far as I'm aware.

He was a political hack and a hypocrite, but no Nazi.
Old 15th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #68
sackett
Philosopher

Despite my choice of video clip, Starr was no Nazi. I wouldn't even call him a proto-fascist, despite his choice of clientele. At least, not as far as I'm aware.

He was a political hack and a hypocrite, but no Nazi.
Yes, but I must have my little joke, if only at the expense of a largely forgotten reptilian of yesteryear.

Old 15th September 2022, 02:45 PM   #69
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If it is relevant keep in mind that starr said that Trump's second impeachment was wrong...

In other words Trump getting involved with alt-right political groups to overthrow a democratic election was A-OK with him.

If he was no nazi he was at least nazi-adjacent.

(And he can't use the defence of "he disagreed with Trump but still deserves a defence")

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 15th September 2022 at 02:51 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 04:19 PM   #70
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Starr was not a Nazi. He just thought he looked bitchin' in a Hugo Boss uniform.
Old 15th September 2022, 04:25 PM   #71
Cain
Straussian

A dead lawyer/university president/political hack. Is it my birthday?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 06:41 PM   #72
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It does seem odd in the context of this thread that Warp 12, convinced as he is of the Clintons' corruption, voices his praise of Starr, who so notoriously failed at the task of proving it.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 06:50 PM   #73
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I have nothing good to say about Starr, but the reports are that he died during surgery. It chills me to think that you could go into a hospital to treat a problem and never wake up. I knew someone who had exactly that experience: routine surgery went wrong, bled out in the OR. Another reason to avoid doctors.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 09:09 PM   #74
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Starr was not a Nazi. He just thought he looked bitchin' in a Hugo Boss uniform.
An interesting comment since Starr was widely thought to be a badly dressed man.

Last edited by arayder; 15th September 2022 at 09:11 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 09:11 PM   #75
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I have nothing good to say about Starr, but the reports are that he died during surgery. It chills me to think that you could go into a hospital to treat a problem and never wake up. I knew someone who had exactly that experience: routine surgery went wrong, bled out in the OR. Another reason to avoid doctors.
. . .and now. . .from the profession that gave us bleeding. . .
Old 15th September 2022, 11:07 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
My MIL died from complications that occurred during surgery but it's rather a leap to concluding "avoid doctors" when they save many a life, including my husband's.
Old 15th September 2022, 11:09 PM   #77
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Ya gotta admit those Hugo Boss uniforms were pretty cool looking.
Old 16th September 2022, 04:05 AM   #78
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Having trouble finding any tv coverage of the lineups to file past his coffin. Is that not a thing in the USA for those beloved to conservatives?
Old 16th September 2022, 06:21 AM   #79
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
An interesting comment since Starr was widely thought to be a badly dressed man.
There are things people do in the privacy of their own homes.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:53 AM   #80
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If he was no nazi he was at least nazi-adjacent.
You make a fair argument.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics