IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 16th September 2022, 12:45 PM   #41
ZiprHead
Muse

Charlie Crist tweet.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:51 PM   #42
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What DeSantis has done has a rich American tradition, but don't bring it up in a Florida classroom. It might make white kids feel bad.

NPR referenced the connection today and referenced this story.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:19 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What DeSantis has done has a rich American tradition, but don't bring it up in a Florida classroom. It might make white kids feel bad.

NPR referenced the connection today and referenced this story.
God forbid white kids learn any history that isn't GW chopping down a cherry tree, Abraham Lincoln saw black people as equals, and George Custer was a hero.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:22 PM   #44
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The Southern Strategy is alive an well.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:29 PM   #45
Hercules56
Master Poster

I can kinda/sorta understand sending migrants to SF, LA, Boston, Chicago, and other Sanctuary Cities that have the infrastructure to deal with such people, but sending them to a little isolated town like Martha's Vineyard is tantamount to kidnapping and abuse. This **** needs to stop.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #46
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Some claims been made about the governors violating the Immigration and Naturalization Act section 274. I did look it up and it prohibits transportation of illegal alien across state lines. Does not apply if they are documented in the country legally as far as I know.

But DeSantis had $12 million appropriated to do this, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigra...-destinations/
http://www.lawandsoftware.com/ina/INA-274-sec1324.html
Quote:
ii.knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:36 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
I can kinda/sorta understand sending migrants to SF, LA, Boston, Chicago, and other Sanctuary Cities that have the infrastructure to deal with such people, but sending them to a little isolated town like Martha's Vineyard is tantamount to kidnapping and abuse. This **** needs to stop.
If those cities agree to accept them, sure. But just putting them on a plane or bus and shipping them there with no agreement, much less informing them at all, is a purely political stunt.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:42 PM   #48
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I suspect DeSantis counted on the residents of Martha's Vineyard being all aghast at the poor minorities suddenly dropped into their privileged midst, thus confirming how liberals are all a bunch of hypocrites at heart. Only the good people of MV didn't get the script, and instead rallied around the victims of DeSantis's callous cruelty.

That's both the horror and the fatal flaw of DeSantis and his ilk, they actually believe deep down everyone thinks like them.
Old 16th September 2022, 02:34 PM   #49
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
At least Huey Long worked for the people of the USA. de Santis works for the people of the Kremlin.
H. Long worked for himself, using any methods that came to hand, even methods that might sometimes benefit Louisiana, in a political milieu considerably different than today. (I Jesus hope I'm right about today.) DeSnattis is also a rogue southern governator working strictly for himself, but using crudely illegal methods that don't pretend to do good for anybody.

I called Der Schmattes a political mobster. Watching him operate, and looking (reluctantly) at his picture, I wonder how many ties he has to organized crime. Any guesses?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 02:53 PM   #50
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Edit...not illegals, asylum seekers.
Not according to him, though, it seems. Have cake or eat it.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:10 PM   #51
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just wondering how they all got past the TSA. It's hard enough for citizens that travel on a regular basis.
Old 16th September 2022, 03:30 PM   #52
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm just wondering how they all got past the TSA. It's hard enough for citizens that travel on a regular basis.
Private flights, as I understand.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:49 PM   #53
Ryan O'Dine
ODíing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah, yes...the "compassionate conservative" we used to hear so much about is on full display here yet again. Being 'ok' with children who were victims of rape and/or incest being forced to give birth and letting homeless people die prematurely through lack of medical care is so 'compassionate'.

They aren't necessarily 'illegal', either, as many are asylum seekers with permission to be in the US until their case is decided.

First 'split tails' and now 'that hag'. What pejorative name are you going to use next to refer to women?
I remember when Bush Jr tried, for half an eyeblink, to rebrand the GOP. Almost like they understood there was a problem and even thought they could pull something off, however superficial and half-assed.

Now the thought of grasping there's a problem, much less doing anything about it, is so far beyond the reach of the party it's not funny. The shear volume of straight up cruelty has become their brand.
Old 16th September 2022, 04:13 PM   #54
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Some claims been made about the governors violating the Immigration and Naturalization Act section 274. I did look it up and it prohibits transportation of illegal alien across state lines. Does not apply if they are documented in the country legally as far as I know.

But DeSantis had $12 million appropriated to do this, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigra...-destinations/
http://www.lawandsoftware.com/ina/INA-274-sec1324.html

Ranb
Bet there's something against transporting them under false pretenses
Old 16th September 2022, 04:40 PM   #55
Venom
Philosopher

Okay now I really wish this ass-kissing piece of trash would fall out of a window.

By whatever means.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 05:03 PM   #56
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

What is greatly concerning is the parallel between the Nazis vilifying the Jews and the Republicans vilifying Hispanics. In both cases it's a tactic devised to solidify their base and give them a target that only the Nazis/Republicans are ready and willing to crack the whip on.

I'm not trying to compare the current Republican Party to the Nazi Party but....

Wait a sec.

Okay I guess I am comparing them.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 05:29 PM   #57
Stout
Illuminator

The migrants might just have hit the jackpot on this. I mean, think about it. You've spent months trekking through a bunch of countries unsuitable for resettling in only to reach the promised land and end up in some redneck haven like Texas or Florida. Where would you rather be, one of those states or a super wealthy liberal area where housing is readily available and wages are bound to be high?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 05:35 PM   #58
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The migrants might just have hit the jackpot on this. I mean, think about it. You've spent months trekking through a bunch of countries unsuitable for resettling in only to reach the promised land and end up in some redneck haven like Texas or Florida. Where would you rather be, one of those states or a super wealthy liberal area where housing is readily available and wages are bound to be high?
Housing is readily available on the Vineyard? They've already moved (some of?) the migrants to Otis Joint Base on the Cape as I understand it.

I also doubt that Vineyard wages for unskilled labor are terribly high. I guess they're higher than down South, but the cost of living is a lot higher too.

On the other hand, it may be that the immigration judges around here aren't so overworked and I hear they tend to be more sympathetic to asylum seekers than those in Texas or Florida.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:02 PM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's Martha's Vinyard. How much skin off the residents' noses would it be, to put up pavilions and Porta potties on their back lawns, bring in a bunch of camp beds, hire some caterers to do low budget large quantity meals, and then take it from there? Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks for Biden to figure out how to get them to the sanctuary cities that actually want them and are prepared to house them and employ them.
Old 16th September 2022, 06:07 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's Martha's Vinyard. How much skin off the residents' noses would it be, to put up pavilions and Porta potties on their back lawns, bring in a bunch of camp beds, hire some caterers to do low budget large quantity meals, and then take it from there? Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks for Biden to figure out how to get them to the sanctuary cities that actually want them and are prepared to house them and employ them.
Nothing like trying to justify what DeSantis did, is there?
Old 16th September 2022, 06:07 PM   #61
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Housing is readily available on the Vineyard? They've already moved (some of?) the migrants to Otis Joint Base on the Cape as I understand it.

I also doubt that Vineyard wages for unskilled labor are terribly high. I guess they're higher than down South, but the cost of living is a lot higher too.

On the other hand, it may be that the immigration judges around here aren't so overworked and I hear they tend to be more sympathetic to asylum seekers than those in Texas or Florida.
Tourist season is winding down if so there should be lots of vacant tourist accommodation available to house the migrants, at least temporarily and since this is a liberal area that just dripping with money one would expect that living wages are the norm. Spot on with the judges IMO.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:12 PM   #62
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

And these aren't illegal immigrants!

Still, racists gonna racist, a shame. I thought at least a couple of the conservatives here were better than that.

I was wrong.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:25 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think the justification is self evident. I think those protesting it are betraying their principles and beclowning themselves. I think if they had the courage of their convictions, they'd be doing everything in their power to get these people out of Florida to somewhere they'll be welcomed and cared for and given real opportunities. I think they'd be condemning the president for leaving them to languish in border states, or shipping them to Florida(!), instead of getting them to the communities that support them and want them.
Old 16th September 2022, 06:45 PM   #64
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis tried to screw over these people. Apart from the fraud of telling them they were going to Chicago for processing and jobs then sending them somewhere else...

-They were given paperwork with deliberately misleading instructions, which puts their chances of being given asylum at risk.

-They were told to update their addresses with USCIS after being relocated, and that NOT being the correct agency this would put their chances of being given asylum at risk from not updating this information correctly.

-They were given false starting addresses from random homeless shelters far, far from Martha's Vineyard. They have to check in with ICE at the offices in these far off places and have court appearances in the counties of the offices as early as Monday, putting their chances of being given asylum at risk.

Their 'jackpot' was being trafficked in a way set up make their asylum claims be rejected and thus getting them deported, gaining DeSantis more of the headlines he wants. He sent a ******* videographer with them. He wanted them to be rejected from Martha's Vineyard and for his illegal sabotage of their asylum cases to get them deported.

The reason it isn't working is because people are more caring and more competent than he thought they were.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:49 PM   #65
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I think the justification is self evident. I think those protesting it are betraying their principles and beclowning themselves. I think if they had the courage of their convictions, they'd be doing everything in their power to get these people out of Florida to somewhere they'll be welcomed and cared for and given real opportunities. I think they'd be condemning the president for leaving them to languish in border states, or shipping them to Florida(!), instead of getting them to the communities that support them and want them.
Yeah, it takes clowns to object to falsifying documents to engage in politically beneficial human trafficking in ways likely to get them deported, sending them somewhere without telling the officials that could support them that they were coming. Certainly only clowns could protest all that.

Conservative principles are only about hurting people now. Hurt asylum seekers to 'own the libs'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:58 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"I think the justification is self evident."

Well, there's your problem. Do you think what DeSantis and Abbott are doing is because they care about getting "these people out of Florida to somewhere they'll be welcomed and cared for and given real opportunities"? It's a freaking political stunt and just exposes they don't give a damn what happens to these people.

Your post is an example of why I'm not a Republican: they don't give a flying **** what happens to anyone as long as it's good for Republicans.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:00 PM   #67
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Their 'jackpot' was being trafficked in a way set up make their asylum claims be rejected and thus getting them deported, gaining DeSantis more of the headlines he wants. He sent a ******* videographer with them. He wanted them to be rejected from Martha's Vineyard and for his illegal sabotage of their asylum cases to get them deported.

The reason it isn't working is because people are more caring and more competent than he thought they were.
Yes, exactly. Gin up the outrage machine knowing the migrants would be provided with expert free legal help. In the news again and seen to be taking action against a perceived social problem. Why would these migrants care where they ended up. Martha's Vinyard vs Chicago, tough choice? I think not.

MV is pretty close to both Boston and NYC and these lawyers should have no problem getting the migrant's cases transferred to either one of those large urban centers.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:03 PM   #68
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, exactly. Gin up the outrage machine knowing the migrants would be provided with expert free legal help. In the news again and seen to be taking action against a perceived social problem. Why would these migrants care where they ended up. Martha's Vinyard vs Chicago, tough choice? I think not.

MV is pretty close to both Boston and NYC and these lawyers should have no problem getting the migrant's cases transferred to either one of those large urban centers.
Oh, wow. Because some of them have family in other cities/states where they wanted to go.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:11 PM   #69
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Get these people out of Florida? The fifty immigrants flown to Massachusetts at Florida's expense came from Texas.
Quote:
DeSantis admitted that the state of Florida has not seen ďany major movements of people into Florida.Ē The governor said that the migrants on those flights were in Texas prior to arriving in Marthaís Vineyard, though they did land in Florida briefly. Link to Orlando dot com news story
DeSantis wants to run for president in 2024. This is all campaign 'optics.'
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 07:25 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like good optics so far. The progressive one percenters on the island aren't really doing their faction any favors in all this.

It's almost like any American who actually wants more illegal immigrants only really wants them somewhere else.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:28 PM   #71
Warp12
King of Kings

I'm still trying to figure out the claim made that DHS was providing them with fake addresses. That is what "angry Jane Curtin" claimed in the linked vid.

Why would a federal agency be doing that?
Old 16th September 2022, 07:29 PM   #72
Stout
Illuminator

Oh, wow. Because some of them have family in other cities/states where they wanted to go.
Really, how many of them. It just seems kind of weird that someone with an existing support network in the US would willingly get on a plane for promised jobs, food and housing in Chicago.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:29 PM   #73
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Seems like good optics so far. The progressive one percenters on the island aren't really doing their faction any favors in all this.

It's almost like any American who actually wants more illegal immigrants only really wants them somewhere else.
These are not illegal immigrants.

Looks like the conservatives shunted them away with lies, while the liberals rallied to assist.

Old 16th September 2022, 08:18 PM   #74
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What do you think happened and based on which Vulpes named news outlet?

Actual Journalism

Quote:
State and local politicians in Massachusetts praised the response on Martha’s Vineyard, an offshore island accessible only by air and sea, where volunteers turned out in droves to assist the migrants when they showed up carrying maps and a few belongings. Some said they had expected to arrive in a bigger city, close to public transportation, and not a small island of 20,000 people.

The state said that “the island communities are not equipped to provide sustainable accommodation.”

On Friday morning, the migrants filed out of the church they’d been sleeping in for two nights to hugs from the local volunteers. They left with full bags and new cellphones. As they boarded the three white buses that would take them to the ferry, many cried.

Eliomar Aguero, 30, put up a peace sign, smiling and thanking the dozens of volunteers waving him on. “Thank you all,” Aguero said in Spanish.
But, yeah, the Martha’s Vineyard residents are the racist monsters here.

Last edited by Upchurch; 16th September 2022 at 08:28 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 08:49 PM   #75
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There's some truth to what you're saying but one part of what you're saying is also that Florida is unwelcoming and uncaring, a place to languish.

Not to say this isn't a problem, and no doubt it's hard on Florida too, but considering the high cost of the operation, I do wonder if it could have been spent more efficiently.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 09:07 PM   #76
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
In retaliation the nation should take de Santis and deport him to Kerguelen.
No no! It has to be US soil.

Attu.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:10 PM   #77
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Really, how many of them. It just seems kind of weird that someone with an existing support network in the US would willingly get on a plane for promised jobs, food and housing in Chicago.
They weren't told they were going to Chicago. Many of them told about a woman named "Perla" in TX who promised them a free flight to a 'sanctuary city' where all their needs would be taken care of, including onward travel. Instead, they were just dumped off in a place they'd never heard of and where no one knew they were even coming. Despicable.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:12 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"Good optics"? Treating human beings, including children, as pawns in a political stunt by dropping them off and just leaving them? I guess some people may consider that 'good optics', but I'm not one of them.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:28 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the claim made that DHS was providing them with fake addresses. That is what "angry Jane Curtin" claimed in the linked vid.

Why would a federal agency be doing that?
Could be DHS employees sympathetic to Abbott's and DeSantis' scheme of Reverse Freedom Busses.

Still with the derogatory names, I see. It took me literally 30 seconds to discover the woman's name is Rachel Self. According to her website she is an immigration and criminal defense lawyer based in Boston and is a legal analyst for the Fox News Channel and CNN. I doubt she's lying as it can be, and is being, investigated.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:30 PM   #80
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another attempt to justify DeSantis literally taking immigrants from TX and using them for his own political stunt. Disgusting.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics