ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Clinton controversies , hillary clinton , James Comey , presidential candidates

Old 18th October 2017, 11:24 AM   #3281
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I might tend to agree with you if Hillary wasn't re-inserting herself into the news cycle of late. Plus there's the breaking story about the deal with the Russians. That's irrespective of TBD's alleged inability to let her go, however.
I started a new thread on this vital uranium issue
Old 18th October 2017, 11:57 AM   #3282
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's safe to say that while Hillary Clinton is done being president, she'll continue to occasionally beclown herself and her party for years to come. And as long as she's publishing books, appearing on talk shows, and tweeting about social issues and current events, conservatives will be happy to note her activities in passing. Even though progressives really wish they wouldn't, and keep trying to pretend its the conservatives' fault she won't go away. In a sense, which I alluded to above, she is both done and not done. Not so much like the physicist's feline, as like an undead Elder God of the Democratic party.

Kind of like Jimmy Carter.

Last edited by theprestige; 18th October 2017 at 11:59 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:59 AM   #3283
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think it's safe to say that while Hillary Clinton is done being president, she'll continue to occasionally beclown herself and her party for years to come.
As opposed to a person who isn't done being president, who'll continue to constantly beclown himself and his party for years to come.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 12:06 PM   #3284
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
****, if I had half the "thing" for Hillary that some posters around here have for The Big Dog, that indeed would be something.
[voice "andrew-dice-clay"] Yeah, I got a "thing" for you.[/voice]
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #3285
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

"trump's refusal to stop bashing her."

Oh dear, has mean Old Trump FORCED Hillary to publish a dreadful book and spend the next month creating a slime trail around the world to market it?

say, you get a gander on where a bunch of that "charity' money came from that Hillary and her posse were bragging about?
What about all those many months before Hillary published her book?

Trump vis-a-vis H. Clinton is like the used car salesman who can't stop telling everyone about their big touchdown as a high school half-back 20 years earlier. But then again, Trump can't afford to have Hillary "done." He needs her as someone to blame for his mistakes.

BTW: was I correct in my answer to your question as to who bumped the thread?

Last edited by Giordano; 18th October 2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: corrected language error
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:08 PM   #3286
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Trump visa vie H. Clinton
I had to read that a few times to get it.

It's vis-à-vis!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:12 PM   #3287
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I had to read that a few times to get it.

It's vis-à-vis!
Thank you- now fixed.

Gee- I kind of knew that in the back of my brain but I couldn't summon it up to the front when I needed it!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:16 PM   #3288
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

****, if I had half the "thing" for Hillary that some posters around here have for The Big Dog, that indeed would be something.

[snip]
Do you know the old joke about the guy being shown Rorschach blots by his psychiatrist? For every blot the patient says, "I see two people having sex." At the end of the session the psychiatrist says, "I think you may be a bit obsessed with sex." The patient is very offended and replies, "Hey, you're the one with the dirty pictures!"
Old 18th October 2017, 01:43 PM   #3289
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As opposed to a person who isn't done being president, who'll continue to constantly beclown himself and his party for years to come. : D
Argumemnon, what exactly is your problem with this thread?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:33 PM   #3290
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I propose an experiment: will Hillary disappear from the public consciousness if The Big Dog changes his avatar?
Old 18th October 2017, 06:22 PM   #3291
Noztradamus
Illuminator

It was closer to 70% based on what we knew beforehand.

I think people actually enjoy being ignorant of how statistics work.
I confess. I just grabbed the 98% out of the air.

My natural pessimism caused me to bid low.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7399671.html
Quote:
Scientist Sam Wang believes the game is over for Donald Trump Getty
A survey*from the Princeton Election Consortium has found that Hillary Clinton has a 99 per cent chance of winning the election over Donald Trump.
Three days before the election, Ms Clinton has a projected 312 electoral votes, compared to 226 for Mr Trump. A total of 270 electoral votes are needed to win.
The probability statistic was found by the university’s statistical Bayesian model.
Old 18th October 2017, 06:24 PM   #3292
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Hillary Clinton is indeed done. Has been done for quite a while already.

... unlike this thread, which for some reason, keeps going despite that fact.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 04:24 AM   #3293
Random
Master Poster

The right-wing needs their Emmanuel Goldstein...
Old 19th October 2017, 06:52 AM   #3294
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The right-wing needs their Emmanuel Goldstein...
I got it- thank god for high school English literature class!
Old 19th October 2017, 06:59 AM   #3295
Argumemnon
World Maker

Thank you- now fixed.

Gee- I kind of knew that in the back of my brain but I couldn't summon it up to the front when I needed it!
That's ok. French is hard.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Argumemnon, what exactly is your problem with this thread?
What, you don't think it was a good comeback?

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
I confess. I just grabbed the 98% out of the air.

My natural pessimism caused me to bid low.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7399671.html
Gee, other people who don't understand statistics! That'll support your claim, I'm sure. Thanks for doubling down.

Old 26th October 2017, 05:11 PM   #3296
Noztradamus
Illuminator

She made it

Hillary hits the big Seven Zero.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:02 AM   #3297
Bob001
Philosopher

Ex-DNC chair Donna Brazile describes how Clinton seized control of the Democratic party long before the primaries:
Quote:
The agreement—signed by Amy Dacey, the former CEO of the DNC, and Robby Mook with a copy to Marc Elias—specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party’s finances, strategy, and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. The DNC also was required to consult with the campaign about all other staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, and mailings.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ks-2016-215774
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...381_story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:34 AM   #3298
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Crooked Hillary. The distraction that keeps on distracting.
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:53 AM   #3299
Argumemnon
World Maker

Well, it's sure more convenient to talk about a has-been than to talk about the sitting president.

Old 3rd November 2017, 12:48 PM   #3300
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There are 11 GOP nominees scratching their heads thinking "****, I wish I had thought of that."

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 01:07 PM   #3301
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
There are 11 GOP nominees scratching their heads thinking "****, I wish I had thought of that."

Don't forget that while Killary had the DNC in her pocket already, she was plotting to get the media to cover the more extreme "pied piper" GOP candidates - like Teh Donald - to make them look as representing the opponent. As Assange is pointing out. She got what she wanted, the stupid turd.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:09 PM   #3302
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Well, it's sure more convenient to talk about a has-been than to talk about the sitting president.
Pretty much the lamest excuse for a "defense" possible
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:15 PM   #3303
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Don't forget that while Killary had the DNC in her pocket already, she was plotting to get the media to cover the more extreme "pied piper" GOP candidates - like Teh Donald - to make them look as representing the opponent. As Assange is pointing out. She got what she wanted, the stupid turd.
Is this satire? If not how would this stand out from the usual politics involved in running for office? I don't see this as immoral or stupid: you try to focus public discussion on the most negative aspects of the opponent party. And indeed her opponent for the election was....

Are you suggesting that Hillary's focus on Trump helped him obtain the Republican nomination? If so I would be curious as to the evidence for this.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:16 PM   #3304
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Ex-DNC chair Donna Brazile describes how Clinton seized control of the Democratic party long before the primaries:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ks-2016-215774
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...381_story.html
Nope.

Quote:
Nothing in this agreement shall be construed to violate the DNC's obligation of impartiality and neutrality through the Nominating process. All activities performed under this agreement will be focused exclusively on preparations for the General Election and not the Democratic Primary. Further we understand you may enter into similar agreements with other candidates.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:28 PM   #3305
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
<snip>

Nope.

Quote:
Nothing in this agreement shall be construed to violate the DNC's obligation of impartiality and neutrality through the Nominating process. All activities performed under this agreement will be focused exclusively on preparations for the General Election and not the Democratic Primary. Further we understand you may enter into similar agreements with other candidates.

I'm thinking that this little excerpt isn't going to be getting a lot of airtime or other exposure by certain media outlets.

Last edited by quadraginta; 3rd November 2017 at 03:30 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:39 PM   #3306
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
And, just for the record, Bernie Sanders was not and still is not a member of the Democratic party.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:44 PM   #3307
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Lightbulb

Old 3rd November 2017, 08:11 PM   #3308
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That's it, Hillary should be impeached and never allowed to stand for public office again!

Now let's concentrate on the same for Trump!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:19 PM   #3309
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Is this satire? If not how would this stand out from the usual politics involved in running for office? I don't see this as immoral or stupid: you try to focus public discussion on the most negative aspects of the opponent party. And indeed her opponent for the election was....

Are you suggesting that Hillary's focus on Trump helped him obtain the Republican nomination? If so I would be curious as to the evidence for this.

It's in the leaked emails referenced by Assange in my link. The campaign used their influence with the media to deliver Trump some of the huge amount of free bad publicity on which he rode. The stupidity is not in the attempt to shine bad light on opponents, but in her gross misinterpretation of the effects, and of her own standing. As to "immoral" ... we shouldn't talk about morality in connection to Killary.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:24 PM   #3310
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That's it, Hillary should be impeached and never allowed to stand for public office again!

Now let's concentrate on the same for Trump!

It isn't even cute how thin-skinned you lot are about the continuation of talking about Killary. It's outright revealing. No, the world will not stop for many years to discuss the events leading up to the guy you are so conditioned to hate becoming the legitimately elected "leader of the free world", if you are into that kind of terminology. No blank slate for you.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:38 PM   #3311
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't even cute how thin-skinned you lot are about the continuation of talking about Killary. It's outright revealing. No, the world will not stop for many years to discuss the events leading up to the guy you are so conditioned to hate becoming the legitimately elected "leader of the free world", if you are into that kind of terminology. No blank slate for you.
It has nothing to do with being thin skinned, it has to do with this being a pointless distraction. Why is there any reason to keep bringing up a has been politician that has quit politics after losing to a idiot like Trump? I mean seriously, what is the point in it? I don't recall people still bringing up McCain or Kerry or Romney nearly a year after their loses, heck even Gore had been allowed to toddle off into the sunset by now, and that was a very controversial Election.

Hillary is done, she lost, she's quit politics, it's over, you're beating a dead horse. Stop wasting your time and get involved in something that is actually important.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:53 PM   #3312
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It has nothing to do with being thin skinned, it has to do with this being a pointless distraction. Why is there any reason to keep bringing up a has been politician that has quit politics after losing to a idiot like Trump? I mean seriously, what is the point in it? I don't recall people still bringing up McCain or Kerry or Romney nearly a year after their loses, heck even Gore had been allowed to toddle off into the sunset by now, and that was a very controversial Election.

Hillary is done, she lost, she's quit politics, it's over, you're beating a dead horse. Stop wasting your time and get involved in something that is actually important.

Yeah, Gore, that's decades ago now, and you have more than enough Trump threads to express your hate.

Just let us with a longer attention span work to feature the long but straight way to locking her up in a Siberian labour camp. Together with her shills. There she can finally bee queen.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd November 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:59 PM   #3313
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Twas more Hillary saying "oh don't throw me into the Trump patch"
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:14 PM   #3314
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I started a new thread on this vital uranium issue
I get such a laugh when I read things like that. Vital? Really?

LOL
Old 4th November 2017, 04:47 AM   #3315
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

It has nothing to do with being thin skinned, it has to do with this being a pointless distraction. Why is there any reason to keep bringing up a has been politician that has quit politics after losing to a idiot like Trump? I mean seriously, what is the point in it?
I will stipulate that the main motivation for Trump to emphasize it now is distraction.

But to be fair, are there not many preaching that the whole “Russia Thing” has the higher goal of shining a light on all forms of foreign involvement in US elections? For all parties involved?

As such, should we not also pay attention to Democratic wrongdoing as well as Republican? If not wearing partisan blinders, that is.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:52 AM   #3316
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I will stipulate that the main motivation for Trump to emphasize it now is distraction.

But to be fair, are there not many preaching that the whole “Russia Thing” has the higher goal of shining a light on all forms of foreign involvement in US elections? For all parties involved?

As such, should we not also pay attention to Democratic wrongdoing as well as Republican? If not wearing partisan blinders, that is.
You're giving him too much credit.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:55 AM   #3317
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
You're giving him too much credit.
True. Could just be a convenient obsession.
Old 4th November 2017, 08:03 AM   #3318
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yeah, two lame, recycled Hillary pseudo-scandals in two weeks -- very distracting for people who desperately want to be distracted.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 08:07 AM   #3319
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yeah, two lame, recycled Hillary pseudo-scandals in two weeks -- very distracting for people who desperately want to be distracted.
Elizabeth Warren admitting that the 2016 primary was rigged a few days ago is a "recycled" pseudo-scandal??

'k.
Old 4th November 2017, 08:28 AM   #3320
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Elizabeth Warren admitting that the 2016 primary was rigged a few days ago is a "recycled" pseudo-scandal??

'k.

Better check under your bed tonight. Hillary might be under there.

And check the smoke detector. The LED safety light might have been replaced by a webcam from one of Hill's Shills™.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics