ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 17th October 2017, 11:32 AM   #641
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
My pacemaker/defibrillator communicates wirelessly with outside monitors via magnetic pulses (or "frequency"). Stop pretending you have any idea what you're talking about.
Did you not know that was why some people run screaming from you grabbing their heads and shouting "turn it bloody down I heard you the first time!"
Old 17th October 2017, 11:45 AM   #642
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The idea of science not being able to detect these emissions is laughable in the year that the Nobel prize in physics went to Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne, and Barry Barsham.
Old 17th October 2017, 04:09 PM   #643
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes, well, my long dead mother had 2 of those in her time having had three heart attacks and a quad bypass.

I'm on my fourth.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Did you not know that was why some people run screaming from you grabbing their heads and shouting "turn it bloody down I heard you the first time!"

I asked the technician once how fast the data was being transferred and was surprised that it was only equivalent to 300 baud. That's as slow as my first modem twenty-five years ago.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 06:55 PM   #644
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I'm on my fourth.

I asked the technician once how fast the data was being transferred and was surprised that it was only equivalent to 300 baud. That's as slow as my first modem twenty-five years ago.
It is some years ago, now, but from memory, that is intentional due to data loss considerations. As explained to me at the time, Voyager 1 and 2 are giving far less than that, why? to minimise data loss in the available channel.

In fairness, that was some 16 years ago, and the channel was over copper pair at the time. Things have likely moved along in the interim. In my experience, while the med tech is astonishing, it is also a lap behind due to the necessity for robust reliability.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #645
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is called gobbledegook.
Meh...maybe.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 08:22 PM   #646
Loss Leader

In my experience, while the med tech is astonishing, it is also a lap behind due to the necessity for robust reliability.

Yes, the need for rock solid reliability is an important factor. I was told another one is the workings of the FDA itself. A medical device has to go through much the same testing as a drug, which is a lengthy process. By the time it's over, the technology is already old. But then it can't be easily updated either, because that would require new testing and licensing (on a shorter but still inconvenient schedule).

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:12 AM   #647
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Frequency is the new quantum.
Nah, "frequency" is "vibe", and that's the 60s. "Frequency" is the old "quantum".
Old 18th October 2017, 03:15 AM   #648
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Meh...maybe.
So you can't actually say what you understand the word "frequency" to mean in this context, so you just admit that perhaps you're talking nonsense? If your response is genuine, then the question is - how has this revelation affected your thinking and beliefs? If your response is not genuine, then the question is - if you truly believe what you're saying, why are you afraid to try to define the terms you're using?
Old 18th October 2017, 03:38 AM   #649
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Nah, "frequency" is "vibe", and that's the 60s. "Frequency" is the old "quantum".
There ya go...!
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:39 AM   #650
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So you can't actually say what you understand the word "frequency" to mean in this context, so you just admit that perhaps you're talking nonsense? If your response is genuine, then the question is - how has this revelation affected your thinking and beliefs? If your response is not genuine, then the question is - if you truly believe what you're saying, why are you afraid to try to define the terms you're using?
Clarity is the enemy of imaginary knowledge?
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:44 AM   #651
King of the Americas
Philosopher

I googled "peer reviewed, evidence for telepathy"-

1st link- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...ach-180952868/

2nd- http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

Like I have time to review anything thereafter!
Old 18th October 2017, 03:52 AM   #652
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I googled "peer reviewed, evidence for telepathy"-

1st link- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...ach-180952868/

2nd- http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

Like I have time to review anything thereafter!
You said you had solid evidence in the OP. Anyway, the first article doesn't say anything about your claims. The second one wouldn't load for me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:58 AM   #653
fagin
Illuminator

I assume he didn't actually read the first article.

The second is a list of 'Selected Psi Research Publications' maintained by this guy http://skepdic.com/essays/radin.html

'The evidence Radin presents, however, is little more than a hodgepodge of occult statistics.'
Old 18th October 2017, 04:17 AM   #654
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I assume he didn't actually read the first article.

The second is a list of 'Selected Psi Research Publications' maintained by this guy http://skepdic.com/essays/radin.html

'The evidence Radin presents, however, is little more than a hodgepodge of occult statistics.'
I did actually, and I think it's evidence that science is on the right track as far as discovering what the mind can actually do.

I said earlier that we just don't yet fully understand what's going on, and we don't have good tools for measuring yet...

Snip from the article-

“Could there be potential for sending someone a thought that’s not desirable to them?” he says. “Those kinds of things are theoretically in the realm of possibility."

Last edited by King of the Americas; 18th October 2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 18th October 2017, 04:43 AM   #655
fagin
Illuminator

A meaningless statement. I think it's called putting the cart before the horse.

As for the rest, they do understand what's going on, which is why they are using an ECG.

It's not telepathy.
Old 18th October 2017, 04:45 AM   #656
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
A meaningless statement. I think it's called putting the cart before the horse.

As for the rest, they do understand what's going on, which is why they are using an ECG.

It's not telepathy.
Interesting that the article uses the word in the title...
Old 18th October 2017, 04:48 AM   #657
fagin
Illuminator

So what?
Old 18th October 2017, 04:57 AM   #658
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Interesting that the article uses the word in the title...
...and that the article suggests it may be possible some day. It's like citing Elon Musk's plans for a mission to Mars as proof that you've already been there.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 05:00 AM   #659
Loss Leader

I said earlier that we just don't yet fully understand what's going on, and we don't have good tools for measuring yet...

You know, there's something liberating about admitting you have no idea what you're talking about. It gives you permission to stay quiet and opens your mind to learning. Pretending to yourself that you have some superior knowledge will just keep you from ever actually accepting new information.

L. Leader
Old 18th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #660
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, you said that, but you're trivially, demonstrably wrong, and you've not given any evidence whatsoever to support your assertion. In the mean time, you've been unable to explain what "tools" you use in order to determine that psychic abilities exist.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #661
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
. may be possible some day.
Dave
Which is what I said...
Old 18th October 2017, 05:50 AM   #662
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Which is what I said...
No it isn't.

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection.
Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 06:52 AM   #663
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Which is what I said...
Your claim in this thread is that in decades' time there will likely exist technology which can use what we already know about electromagnetism and the brain in order to facilitate electronic communication in a manner that's more direct than is possible with extant technology? I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

/Thread.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:56 AM   #664
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

What an exciting discussion. We've gone from "telepathy is real, measurable, and I'm willing to prove my abilities with a test" to "I read an article about using an EKG machine to record brain activity and transferring that data to a TMS system".

That is telepathy in the same way that driving a RC car is telekinesis.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #665
Donn
Philosopher

I googled "peer reviewed, evidence for telepathy"
Whoa; quelle courage! You Googled. The bar has been raised. It now lies on the floor.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 10:06 AM   #666
jt512
Graduate Poster

You know, there's something liberating about admitting you have no idea what you're talking about. It gives you permission to stay quiet and opens your mind to learning. Pretending to yourself that you have some superior knowledge will just keep you from ever actually accepting new information.

He backed out of a test that would have unambiguously revealed whether his claim about being able to read cards telepathically was true or false. He obviously not interested in learning the truth.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:29 AM   #667
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
He obviously not interested in learning the truth.
I would say instead that he is quite interested in not learning the truth.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 12:17 PM   #668
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they're focused on the wrong frequency?
Nope. There's no such thing as "the wrong frequency." We've explored the electromagnetic spectrum from end to end, covering every part of it within our powers to detect. Wherever we have found a signal, we have dived deep into the frequencies detected, deep into the signals they carry.

The frequencies of the human brain are known. Its signals are well understood. Its frequencies have been thoroughly mapped and catalogued. Telepathy such as you describe does not exist there.

What some journalists fancifully call "telepathy" (and you ignorantly parrot as such) is simply the application of technological advances to better receive and transmit the signals we have already discovered. There are no other signals than these. Your idea of "wrong frequencies" is embarassingly deluded.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 12:19 PM   #669
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Aye. You apprehend the nub.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:46 PM   #670
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The frequencies of the human brain are known. Its signals are well understood. Its frequencies have been thoroughly mapped and catalogued. Telepathy such as you describe does not exist there.
No, this is not true.

The power of the brain is approximately 20 watt. What is the fraction of this power which is radiated as electromagnetic waves in the shortwave band (between 1.6 MHz and 30 MHz approximately, known for its long distance transmissions)? 1 milliwatt? 10 milliwatt? Does this power depend strongly on cerebral activity of the subject? Is it different for an alive person from its value for a corpse at room temperature?

This information is simply not known, the shortwave power (for example) seems to have never been measured seriously. We simply don't know the weak emission spectrum of the brain.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:16 PM   #671
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
No, this is not true.

The power of the brain is approximately 20 watt. What is the fraction of this power which is radiated as electromagnetic waves in the shortwave band (between 1.6 MHz and 30 MHz approximately, known for its long distance transmissions)? 1 milliwatt? 10 milliwatt? Does this power depend strongly on cerebral activity of the subject? Is it different for an alive person from its value for a corpse at room temperature?

This information is simply not known, the shortwave power (for example) seems to have never been measured seriously. We simply don't know the weak emission spectrum of the brain.
Where to start with this pile of nonsense.

You refer to HF and it's range. Well that relies upon reflection of the ionosphere, however, FM is line of sight even though it is a higher "vibration". Care to explain that?

Are you even aware of the hobby of "DXing"?

How about the Numbers stations?
Old 18th October 2017, 02:25 PM   #672
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Seconded.
Michel, could you summarize in one or two concise paragraphs the general understanding of telepathy that you perceived in KotA's posts and that you consider to reflect reality? Thanks.
Michel, could you summarize in one or two concise paragraphs the general understanding of telepathy that you perceived in KotA's posts and that you consider to reflect reality? Thanks.
Old 18th October 2017, 02:29 PM   #673
Michel H
Graduate Poster

You refer to HF and it's range. Well that relies upon reflection of the ionosphere, however, FM is line of sight even though it is a higher "vibration". Care to explain that?
Electromagnetic radiation is actually never strictly "line of sight" (this is the approximation of geometrical optics, valid only for very short wavelengths).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:37 PM   #674
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
It is not my priority to praise King of the A. on this forum. But I must nevertheless admit that he has a certain talent to identify and tell the truth, in his approximate style. He says he doesn't have much time, he is a busy man.
Old 18th October 2017, 02:47 PM   #675
Donn
Philosopher

It is not my priority to praise King of the A. on this forum. But I must nevertheless admit that he has a certain talent to identify and tell the truth, in his approximate style. He says he doesn't have much time, he is a busy man.
I've seen less yellow on custard man.
Old 18th October 2017, 03:21 PM   #676
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Electromagnetic radiation is actually never strictly "line of sight" (this is the approximation of geometrical optics, valid only for very short wavelengths).
Really? How do you see anything?
Old 18th October 2017, 03:22 PM   #677
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nope. There's no such thing as "the wrong frequency." We've explored the electromagnetic spectrum from end to end, covering every part of it within our powers to detect. Wherever we have found a signal, we have dived deep into the frequencies detected, deep into the signals they carry.

What some journalists fancifully call "telepathy" (and you ignorantly parrot as such) is simply the application of technological advances to better receive and transmit the signals we have already discovered. There are no other signals than these. Your idea of "wrong frequencies" is embarassingly deluded.
Did you just postulate that 'science' no longer needs to study brain waves because we already know everything?

ROTFLMAO
Old 18th October 2017, 03:24 PM   #678
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
In the case of determining or quantifying my own telepathic ability, absolutely.
Old 18th October 2017, 03:25 PM   #679
King of the Americas
Philosopher

No, this is not true.

Interesting...say more things.
Old 18th October 2017, 03:32 PM   #680
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Did you just postulate that 'science' no longer needs to study brain waves because we already know everything?

ROTFLMAO
No, he didn't. You simply created that man of straw to avoid the question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal