IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 10:39 AM   #2921
Mojo
Mostly harmless

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ust-confirm-id

The good news: if he can do it he’ll also be eligible for free drinks in my local pub.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 10:42 AM   #2922
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

The good news: if he can do it he’ll also be eligible for free drinks in my local pub.
Bad news: he can no longer go on the swings at the play park .
Old 12th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #2923
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Are we doing the game from ISIHAC?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #2924
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Awesome. A Y2K error in 2020!
Old 12th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #2925
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Awesome. A Y2K error in 2020!
Weird, isn't it. I can't recall the last time I built a DB with two digit years.

Maybe the 80s

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 04:41 PM   #2926
sphenisc
Philosopher

Are we doing the game from ISIHAC?
By a curious coincidence Humphrey Lyttleton would have been -2 today.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:38 AM   #2927
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Weird, isn't it. I can't recall the last time I built a DB with two digit years.

Maybe the 80s
In the late 80's the UK government was still designing benefits systems will two digit years and a hard-coded century rollover date - I bet that ended well
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:41 AM   #2928
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

More nonsense from the government:

Quote:
Sajid Javid admitted frictionless trade with the EU would be "over" but said that Britain would have a "better future".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51460315

Can someone please explain to me how having a worse trade deal with our largest trading partner, including border and customs checks and having trade deals which at best are the EU deals rolled over will somehow make things better ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:51 AM   #2929
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Can someone please explain to me how having a worse trade deal with our largest trading partner, including border and customs checks and having trade deals which at best are the EU deals rolled over will somehow make things better ?
No pesky EU immigrants fixing our bodies, picking our fruit for us, investing their capital in the city.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:56 AM   #2930
Wudang
BOFH

Britain will have a better future and so will everyone in it*.

*Terms and conditions apply. Not applicable to anyone who can't be bothered being a millionaire. Honestly, what is wrong with these people? Through sheer sweat and hard work I now have 20 million including the 20 million daddy gave me.
Old 13th February 2020, 02:57 AM   #2931
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Well, it got him into #11 and kept the Tories in power with a PM willing to promote anyone who'll support him so Javid gets a job he couldn't have dreamed of in saner times, doubtless high paying speaking engagements will flood in, and directorships and those lovely non-exec positions where you might get paid more than some people earn full time for a couple of hours a month and a quiet word in the right ear from time to time, not to mentio.....

Wait, sorry! You meant 'better for the country' didn't you? My bad..

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 04:08 AM   #2932
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris is 'reshuffling' his cabinet today.

Northern Ireland Secretary Julian Smith and Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom are out and Attorney General Geoffrey Cox has resigned.

Other early casualties are Housing Minister Esther McVey and Environment Secretary Theresa Villiers.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 04:31 AM   #2933
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cox was asked to resign by Boris apparently.

Quote:
In a statement confirming his resignation as the government's most senior law officer, Mr Cox said: "I have been truly privileged to have served as attorney general during the recent turbulent political times."

Known for his booming delivery and his legal advice that effectively scuppered Theresa May's Brexit deal in March last year, he said he had been asked to resign by the prime minister.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 05:04 AM   #2934
ohms
Graduate Poster

Javid gone. Resigned as condition of him remaining was to replace his own advisors with ones appointed by No. 10.
Old 13th February 2020, 05:34 AM   #2935
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Javid gone. Resigned as condition of him remaining was to replace his own advisors with ones appointed by No. 10.
Well if we can't trust advisors appointed by Dominic Cummings, who can we trust...
Old 13th February 2020, 05:42 AM   #2936
Tolls
Philosopher

Oh, this is a bit more exciting than it was looking first thing.

Considering I thought we were scraping the bottom of the barrel with Javid, I do wonder who the next Chancellor will be.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 05:50 AM   #2937
ohms
Graduate Poster

Also a surprise to see Julian Smith go. He seemed to be the most competent NI Secretary we've had for quite some time.
Old 13th February 2020, 05:51 AM   #2938
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Sajid started asking questions about the missing £15k from the Christmas wine fund!
Old 13th February 2020, 05:52 AM   #2939
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One thing to keep in mind, Javid has bailed from every job he held in Banking when it was about to go tits up. His last position at Deutsche Bank being a case in point. Maybe he realised how big a mess this is going to be and he doesn’t want to be involved.
Old 13th February 2020, 05:57 AM   #2940
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Oh, this is a bit more exciting than it was looking first thing.

Considering I thought we were scraping the bottom of the barrel with Javid, I do wonder who the next Chancellor will be.
Rishi Sunak - apparently a very obedient chap who won't make any waves.
Old 13th February 2020, 05:59 AM   #2941
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Also a surprise to see Julian Smith go. He seemed to be the most competent NI Secretary we've had for quite some time.
Quote:
The Guardian's Helen Pidd says the prime minister "is certainly not rewarding talent".

"If you look at what Julian Smith has achieved in Northern Ireland - his reward is to be sacked.

"Loyalty appears to be valued above everything."
It seems that Boris Johnson is applying lessons learned from President Trump.
Old 13th February 2020, 06:25 AM   #2942
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That’s probably why he had to go.

Old 13th February 2020, 06:47 AM   #2943
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Finally there will be some Salmon left for the English!
Once you've sampled the wonderful Norwegian salmon available here, you realise the Scottish farmed salmon which dominates the UK market is (a) grossly overpriced, and (b) the portions tiny. It's even what you get served in restaurants (you can tell by the shape).

The salmon here also tastes even better and fresher.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:52 AM   #2944
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that Boris Johnson is applying lessons learned from President Trump.
Many a true word said in jest. This is certainly a Hitler-style takeover: first get elected with a large majority and then put your far right dictatorship plans into place.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:55 AM   #2945
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That’s probably why he had to go.
He went for the same reason as Javid: he was someone who stood his corner.

Look at his replacement (his ex-junior), Rishi Sunak, a yes man if there ever was one: voted 'yes' to May's Brexit every time.

It will stick in Javid's craw being replaced by his once junior whom he patronised.

Old 13th February 2020, 06:57 AM   #2946
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I have no sympathy at all for Sajid Javid: a despicable little man with a head like a bowling ball. Simply revoking people's citizenship and leaving them stateless was disgusting.

Old 13th February 2020, 06:58 AM   #2947
Tolls
Philosopher

Rishi Sunak - apparently a very obedient chap who won't make any waves.
So Cummings will be calling the shots at the treasury then, with Sunak as his puppet?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 07:09 AM   #2948
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Many a true word said in jest.
Sadly there was not jest intended

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
This is certainly a Hitler-style takeover: first get elected with a large majority and then put your far right dictatorship plans into place.
I don't think it'll be a far right dictatorship. Instead it'll be more likely to be a libertarian kleptocracy.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:10 AM   #2949
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
So Cummings will be calling the shots at the treasury then, with Sunak as his puppet?
IMO yes, completing the takeover.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:40 AM   #2950
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

IMO yes, completing the takeover.
From wiki, at least Rishi Sunak seems to have firm business/finance skills to take over as Chancellor of the Exchequer:

Quote:
Born in Southampton, Hampshire to an Indian Punjabi family, his early education was at Winchester College. Sunak subsequently studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at Lincoln College, Oxford, and later gained an MBA from Stanford University as a Fulbright scholar. After graduating he worked for investment bank Goldman Sachs, and later as a partner at the hedge fund management firm The Children's Investment Fund Management.
Mind you, having been born to an Indian Punjabi family', let's hope he doesn't get his British citizenship revoked any time soon and 'sent back to where he came from' as seems to be the latest hobby of the Home Office headed by arch anti-immigrant (more anti-immigrant than than the most xenophobic of xenophobe far-right infiltatrated Tories, including Tommy Robinson) Priti Awful Patel.

Old 13th February 2020, 07:44 AM   #2951
Tolls
Philosopher

I now have images of Cummings doing the Hitler dance with the globe from The Great Dictator.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:26 AM   #2952
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

You can see why Johnson could be worried about having someone competent around him, the comparison is unlikely to be flattering.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:16 AM   #2953
Lothian
should be banned

Wow, the brexiteers are going to be furious. Recall how they got in a total frenzy about 'unelected' Brussels bureaucrats?
They will be apoplectic when they find out the UK chancellor has been kicked out by an unelected bureaucrat for not allowing other unelected bureaucrats to make all the decisions the chancellor is supposed to make.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 12:18 PM   #2954
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think today will set the pattern for this government, half arsed organisation and sleaze.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:22 PM   #2955
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Roundup of new cabinet

Chancellor - Dominic Cummings
Foreign Sec - Dominic Cummings
Home Sec - Dominic Cummings
Education - Dominic Cummings
Defence - Dominic Cummings
Prime Minister - Dominic Cummings
No 10 Cat - Dominic Cummings
Old 13th February 2020, 01:35 PM   #2956
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Polly Toynbee in the GRAUNIAD:

Quote:
Johnson’s choice of pipsqueaks and placemen, yes-women and yellow bellies is the most under-brained, third-rate cabinet in living memory. The three great offices of state are held by those who pose no threat because they owe their unmerited promotion to the prime minister alone. A weak chancellor will curb Treasury interference with whatever headline-pleasers the prime minister has in mind.
The GRAUNIAD no lik-ee.

Putting no.11, the Treasury under the control of no 10 (read Dominic 'Swivel-Eyed' Cummings) not only breaches ethics of guarding against conflict of interest and the Chancellor's right to be of impartial opinion to the government's (as is the Attorney General's office) but shows a naked grab for totalitarian power.

The new AG, Suella Braverman is a rabid opponent of the power of High Court judges and her briefing is to effectively castrate the judiciary from objectively overseeing the constitution and laws are upheld, quite independently of the government.

Watch as the SUN and DAILY MAIL descend into a mad hero-worship of the new uber master, Boris Johnson.

Last edited by Vixen; 13th February 2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:57 PM   #2957
Garrison
Philosopher

This would be less horrendous if either Johnson or Cummings were remotely competent. They both have egos that greatly exceed their abilities.
Old 13th February 2020, 03:18 PM   #2958
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Well it's achieved something. I never thought I'd miss Javid.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 03:53 PM   #2959
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think today will set the pattern for this government, half arsed organisation and sleaze.

You’re forgetting the petty-mindedness.

Old 13th February 2020, 10:52 PM   #2960
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From Facebook,

Leavers are always harking back to WWII and how they won.

Which is correct as both needed Russia.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics