IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 09:05 AM   #3321
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Well, there goes a chunk of the economy here in Herefordshire.
And the tossers will still give that arse Bill Wiggin one of the largest majorities in the country...
Here in Henley you could stick a blue rossette on a turnip and it would win. The country would have been better off if we had since Heseltine left.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 09:18 AM   #3322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you

Yes, somehow the farmers will find a way to blame the EU and/or the Labour party and not Brexiteers and the Tory party.
I think more likely they will be moving their investment portfolios into big USA
agricultural companies.
Old 27th May 2020, 11:56 AM   #3323
SezMe
post-pre-born

Here's one column presenting the current situation in the UK to America. I suppose the Brexiteers would not find it to be accurate?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:33 PM   #3324
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Here's one column presenting the current situation in the UK to America. I suppose the Brexiteers would not find it to be accurate?
Paywall.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:48 PM   #3325
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
It does sound like something Marcus Rowland would write and he contributed to GAPL/
It was a good source book, but a great read in it's own right.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:53 PM   #3326
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Paywall.
Hey, Jeff Bezos didn't get to be a billionaire by giving his product away for free!
I do find I can often, but not always, get through by using incognito mode.
Old 27th May 2020, 01:03 PM   #3327
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hey, Jeff Bezos didn't get to be a billionaire by giving his product away for free!
Oh I tried all the usual tricks, alas to no avail. I think they are getting smarter.

I might proxy it.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 06:31 AM   #3328
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Actually he did, well to be accurate he made it by losing billions....
Old 29th May 2020, 04:07 PM   #3329
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I as taught metric but real life used imperial, so I was mostly confused. I prefer metric though as it's less confusing and, IMO, the lauded "You can divide by lots of different numbers" is mostly unnecassary as rounding off to the nearest mm, 5g or 5ml is accurate enough for almost all everyday waork.

Growing up in the U.S. in the mid-20th century I was raised, even immersed in the imperial units (more precisely "U.S. customary units") system. We were, of course, made aware of the metric system and to a large degree it was used in sundry science courses (I was exposed to more of that perhaps, since I always pursued a fascination with science), but everyday life was all imperial.

Then I got into construction. I began working as a reinforcing steel ironworker (a "rodbuster" in common parlance). Rebar is labelled in increments based on the diameter in eights of an inch. No problem. Until a company I worked for picked up some projects in the Caribbean. This is when I not only had to use drawings and do layout using metric, but also learned about metric rebar. Much bigger hill to climb. Not merely a change in the labeling system, but a change in the actual diameter of the bars. This was more disturbing. The differences were minor, but when you have worked with and become familiar with handling a product over years they were noticeable. The bars felt different. I wasn't really there long enough to get used to it.

Later in my career I did a lot of layout work and eventually drifted into what is known in the trade as a "field engineer" (no jokes please). This is the guy you see standing behind various instruments on tripods. It is almost all measuring. From stake out to layout to marking and measuring elevations.

Construction site documents (as opposed to architectural, engineering, and shop drawings) tend to use whatever system the site architects and engineers prefer, and decimal feet is quite common. Common enough that over time I didn't need to convert the decimal part of the foot in my head. I just worked in it and inches simultaneously. Kind of like being fluent in two languages.

Angular measurement could be DMS, decimal degrees, or even, very rarely, radians.

It's all what you are exposed to and have time to get used to.

Frankly I wish that the U.S. would push the use of metric more adamantly. It has at least technically been the system accepted as the standard for the U.S. since 1893 and again in 1959. But we are a stubborn and recalcitrant people.

I wanna stick with Fahrenheit, though. It just feels more appropriate. So sue me.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:09 PM   #3330
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Actually he did, well to be accurate he made it by losing billions....

They say 'ya gotta spend money to make money'. I guess he proved that true, at least for him.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 11:48 AM   #3331
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yup. Or anyone who has been in any hardware store over the last 30 years.
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I as taught metric but real life used imperial, so I was mostly confused. I prefer metric though as it's less confusing and, IMO, the lauded "You can divide by lots of different numbers" is mostly unnecassary as rounding off to the nearest mm, 5g or 5ml is accurate enough for almost all everyday waork.

Exactly

The over-sixties perhaps. The rest of us use the Metric system, or rather the SI.
My dad would count as that, but doesn't have an issue with metric, even if he prefers imperial. After all he's been to DIY shops where most lengths are in milimetres.

It appeals to the Little Englanders.
And we have a winner

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:14 AM   #3332
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brexiters aren’t going to get their egg & chips in Benidorm this year, Spain and greece aren't allowing in UK tourists.
But how is Spain allowed to prevent UK citizens from entering seeing as the UK is still an EU member?

It's almost as if they had control over their borders!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:30 AM   #3333
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Brexiters aren’t going to get their egg & chips in Benidorm this year, Spain and greece aren't allowing in UK tourists.
But how is Spain allowed to prevent UK citizens from entering seeing as the UK is still an EU member?

It's almost as if they had control over their borders!

Your point would have stood if we were*... but, no we're not members any more, that bridge is burnt. We're non members in a transition period waiting for Boris to crash the negotiations so we can enter next year as America's prison bitch.

*Just as we had loads of powers to control immigration that we never used.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 1st June 2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Vodka martinis don't improve grammer
Old 1st June 2020, 08:31 PM   #3334
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Soon we’ll get trade deals by sailing to countries. Good thing we have already sorted Switzerland.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...nal-trade-deal
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 03:07 AM   #3335
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe we need to go back to the days of Empire and set off to discover some new countries. Forget all the old ones.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 04:47 AM   #3336
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage hints he will start a new party if Boris Johnson ‘goes soft’ on Brexit

Quote:
Brexiteer Farage said he was conflicted about calling for Dominic Cummings to leave his post before Brexit is delivered - because he believed it would lead to the prime minister taking a softer approach.

He said: “I am terribly conflicted over this. We need Cummings to be there for the next few weeks, those of us that want Brexit. Because if he suddenly disappeared maybe Boris would go soft. We could finish up extending the transition period.”
Quote:
Farage also used the one-year anniversary of the European elections to claim that he is wiling to take on Johnson again if he does accept an extension or takes a softer approach on Brexit.

He tweeted: “One year ago today The Brexit Party stunned the establishment and easily won the European elections.

“Without us Mrs. May would have limped on and there would have been no Brexit on 31st January. Let us hope that Boris frees us from transition.

“Otherwise we will do it again.”

Quote:
We might need to rebrand as The Reform Party. Definitely our appetite is for political reform. This country wants political reform. It’s sick of the whole bloody system. Sick the whole lot.
We talk about Washington as the swamp and we are beginning to talk about Westminster in the same way.
Old 2nd June 2020, 04:52 AM   #3337
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage hints he will start a new party if Boris Johnson ‘goes soft’ on Brexit
It's going to be a no deal Brexit. Can't see how that's going soft
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:28 AM   #3338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He is worried there may be an extension to the transition period.
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:36 AM   #3339
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Soon we’ll get trade deals by sailing to countries. Good thing we have already sorted Switzerland.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...nal-trade-deal
A heavy seasoning of reassurance that it's not about class or billionaires slurping up public treasury monies atop a pile of examples of precisely that very thing happening.

But my favorite bit:
Quote:
Today, it sits in a Scottish harbour, hoards of tourists swarming over decks and state rooms once occupied by kings, queens, princes, tycoons and stars.

But not so long ago it was the very embodiment of the nation, a dazzling reminder that despite the slow collapse of empire our Queen ruled one third of the planet and other world powers ignored Britain at their peril.
Filthy rabble now taint the place of better sorts.

And that jingoistic nostalgia.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:45 AM   #3340
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One of the excuses for the Royal Yacht was it's supposed 'dual role' as a hospital ship in case of a war, it was fitted out with surgical suite etc.
This was shown to be a lie when the Navy sailed south to the Falklands, Britannia never went, a passenger ship was chartered and converted to a hospital ship.
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:54 AM   #3341
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He is worried there may be an extension to the transition period.
He can rest easy. Dom doesn't want it, so it won't happen.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 06:05 AM   #3342
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He can rest easy. Dom doesn't want it, so it won't happen.
One of his concerns in the article is that Dom might be got rid of. he thinks the whole Barnard Castle thing was an attempt to sabotage Brexit.
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:26 AM   #3343
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Filthy rabble now taint the place of better sorts.

And that jingoistic nostalgia.
I missed the spelling of hordes first time around. I did note self-styled patriots in the comments section referring to “Brittania”, which should probably be a deportable offence.

Did this queen ever rule one third of the planet? Whether in land mass or population terms that seems high.

One of the excuses for the Royal Yacht was it's supposed 'dual role' as a hospital ship in case of a war, it was fitted out with surgical suite etc.
This was shown to be a lie when the Navy sailed south to the Falklands, Britannia never went, a passenger ship was chartered and converted to a hospital ship.
Interesting; thanks.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:41 AM   #3344
shuttlt
Philosopher

I missed the spelling of hordes first time around. I did note self-styled patriots in the comments section referring to “Brittania”, which should probably be a deportable offence.

Did this queen ever rule one third of the planet? Whether in land mass or population terms that seems high.
Wikipedia has it at about 1/4 of the population and land mass. Given Britain's naval power you could easily argue that it was 1/3 or more of the globe that was under British control.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:21 PM   #3345
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Wikipedia has it at about 1/4 of the population and land mass. Given Britain's naval power you could easily argue that it was 1/3 or more of the globe that was under British control.
Yeah, I well remember the pink on the world map. But plenty of the area was Aus and Canada. Big places, not so many people ...
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:44 PM   #3346
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Yeah, I well remember the pink on the world map. But plenty of the area was Aus and Canada. Big places, not so many people ...
And India.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:18 PM   #3347
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

India (and Pakistan and what would become Bangladesh) was independent before 1952 which takes the population part of the argument right down; arguably Australia and Canada were functionally independent of Britain too, though Gough Whitlam would disagree. That’s why I said this Queen rather than Queen Victoria. Though I’m willing to be corrected, 1952 the Royal Navy probably wouldn’t have claimed to have supremacy over, well, any ocean, so I was ignoring the sea to make it even possible to be close to one third.

I suppose there then comes the argument as to how much ruling the Queen does outside (or inside) Britain in those places which still have her as head of state.

But I see the wording was sufficiently vague in that the article could have been referring to Victoria, even if Britannia wasn’t constructed until the 1950s. The yacht, that is.
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:36 PM   #3348
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Nissan are once again warning that unless the UK has tariff and quota free access to the EU the Sunderland plant will have to close
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:29 AM   #3349
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Nissan are once again warning that unless the UK has tariff and quota free access to the EU the Sunderland plant will have to close
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...hoto/829911764

“Si monumentum requiris, circumspice.”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 3rd June 2020 at 12:32 AM.
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:43 AM   #3350
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have a primary source for this, I'm afraid, but this tweet has a screenshot of an article which claims that hedge funds that financed Johnson's leadership campaign have $4.6b of aggregate short positions on a no deal Brexit.
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:54 AM   #3351
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I don't have a primary source for this, I'm afraid, but this tweet has a screenshot of an article which claims that hedge funds that financed Johnson's leadership campaign have $4.6b of aggregate short positions on a no deal Brexit.
Why shouldn't they get paid for helping out a buddy? They aren't charities!
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:52 AM   #3352
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Here’s the original piece from September last year:
Byline Times

The data it refers to can be found here though I haven’t fact checked.

ETA - I wonder if they made or lost money with the 31/10 extension.
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:19 AM   #3353
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why shouldn't they get paid for helping out a buddy? They aren't charities!
Gosh .... errr quid quo pro ummm aaah manus manum lavat err well you know mundus vult decipi and so forth.
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:20 AM   #3354
Lothian
should be banned

Here’s the original piece from September last year:
Byline Times

The data it refers to can be found here though I haven’t fact checked.

ETA - I wonder if they made or lost money with the 31/10 extension.
I don't think this is as simple as it appears. There is not a Brexit market as far as I am aware, at least these investments don't appear to be in an Brexit market. Hedge funds by their nature bet on other companies and buy shares or take short positions.

How do we know the short positions are in relation to Brexit rather than another reason? Are those short positions in companies that will benefit or lose out after brexit? How have the shares the hedge funds have bought been factored in or iis it only looking at short potions?

How does £8.3 billion in short positions compare to the amounts shorted 1 year ago, today? How many of the short positions were closed out before 31 October?

I am not convinced the Hedge funds putting money Johnston's way affected how the Tory party voted in the leadership election. After he won city traders job is to make money and you are bound to look at his promises and bet with or against them.

I am not sure this is as sinister as it is made out.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:04 PM   #3355
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC News (UK)
@BBCNews
“We want you back”
PM Boris Johnson invites European workers who left the UK as lockdown began to return now it is being eased and retail sector is reopening
http://bbc.in/2BmWYlI
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:07 PM   #3356
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This looks like he wants open borders & free movement?
Is this how we 'take back control' & 'secure our borders' by inviting back people we threw out or made unwelcome?

Don't worry though, if they don't comer back Boris has invited 3million from Hong Kong, they should fill the gap.

Nigel will have a fit!
Old 5th June 2020, 01:37 AM   #3357
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

It's striking how happy the UK is to fold to the demands of American trade negotiators even when it’s politically damaging for them, compared to how it approaches talks with the EU.

Government ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken for US trade deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...html#gsc.tab=0

It makes one wonder that since small concessions like this have been made, what are the large ones.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th June 2020, 01:49 AM   #3358
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
As an aside to the imperial vs metric discussion I'd like to mention the so-called "descriptive" chess notation system which was in use in English speaking countries for far too long. It was still in use in in the eighties, when it was finally abandoned for the much more sensible algebraic notation which was of course invented by the germans a hundred years before the brits finally relented..

Example:

Kkt-KB3 (descriptive notation)
Nf3 (algebraic)
I always thought algebra was given to us by the Arabian world.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th June 2020, 02:01 AM   #3359
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm enjoying this.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th June 2020, 02:03 AM   #3360
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
It's striking how happy the UK is to fold to the demands of American trade negotiators even when it’s politically damaging for them, compared to how it approaches talks with the EU.

Government ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken for US trade deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...html#gsc.tab=0

It makes one wonder that since small concessions like this have been made, what are the large ones.
It's really quite simple. The Conservatives have to reject any attempt to compromise from their hardline position w.r.t. the EU which will mean that a no deal is not just inevitable, it's necessary.

It's necessary because they need a high profile trade deal fast and the only way that's possible is to just accept the terms offered/demanded (delete as applicable) by the other party. One of the prerequisites of a US trade deal is that there is no EU trade deal.

Boris Johnson will accept any and all terms in the US trade deal but will try to spin it to claim that not only has the government fought hard on behalf of the UK but all clauses in the deal are to the UK's benefit, regardless of the ample evidence to the contrary.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics