ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags science fiction

Old 8th September 2018, 04:16 PM   #361
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair TOS for better or worse IS a product of the 60's. It IS rather progressive for the 60's, but a certain dose of sexism is there.

I mean, for example, I don't remember the name of the episode off the top of my head (might have been season 2?), but at one point Kirk expects to lose a female officer because she marries. I guess, of course a woman would then stay in the bedroom and make babies, instead of keeping her job on the bridge.

And then there's Mudd's Women, where a bunch of women would do anything, even take some mysterious medicine that the FDA probably never approved, to land a husband. And I mean, the prize there were some colonist hicks at the ass end of the galaxy.

And then there's the fact that the crew composition seems to be a precursor of Al Murray's joke, when he asks people from the audience what they do for a living: "Bearing in mind that the only acceptable answers for a woman are secretary or nurse." No, really, that's all the TOS women I can remember.

Now you might say, "now, hold on there, mate, the comms officer was a black woman." And you'd be right too. BUT... isn't she doing a glorified secretary job? She's just the gal operating the galactic telephone for the captain. That's it. That's all she ever does.

Etc.

So, yeah, it was progressive for the mid 60's, but that's kind it: FOR THE MID 60's. It's kinda like being the healthiest leper on the colony
Old 9th September 2018, 05:47 AM   #362
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

One advantage of the Storm Trooper armor is very mundane (and applies to all similar costuming...). You don’t have to hire so many extras.
If the troopers are killed you just get ‘em up, dust ‘em off, and put them back in the line.

No fan-boys griping... “Hey, that guy was killed just a few minutes ago!’
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 10:36 AM   #363
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
To be fair TOS for better or worse IS a product of the 60's. It IS rather progressive for the 60's, but a certain dose of sexism is there.

I mean, for example, I don't remember the name of the episode off the top of my head (might have been season 2?), but at one point Kirk expects to lose a female officer because she marries. I guess, of course a woman would then stay in the bedroom and make babies, instead of keeping her job on the bridge.

And then there's Mudd's Women, where a bunch of women would do anything, even take some mysterious medicine that the FDA probably never approved, to land a husband. And I mean, the prize there were some colonist hicks at the ass end of the galaxy.

And then there's the fact that the crew composition seems to be a precursor of Al Murray's joke, when he asks people from the audience what they do for a living: "Bearing in mind that the only acceptable answers for a woman are secretary or nurse." No, really, that's all the TOS women I can remember.

Now you might say, "now, hold on there, mate, the comms officer was a black woman." And you'd be right too. BUT... isn't she doing a glorified secretary job? She's just the gal operating the galactic telephone for the captain. That's it. That's all she ever does.

Etc.

So, yeah, it was progressive for the mid 60's, but that's kind it: FOR THE MID 60's. It's kinda like being the healthiest leper on the colony
In defense of the Original Series; They tried. In the first pilot the First Officer was a woman, Number 1, played by Majel Barrett. The network didn't like it, so in the second pilot she was gone. Majel later returned as Nurse (still later Doctor) Christine Chapel.

There were other female characters in non-traditional roles, for example Chief Angela Martine, phaser bank crew.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #364
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Why do you assert that when it is very likely bad extrapolation on your part.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:12 PM   #365
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
In defense of the Original Series; They tried. In the first pilot the First Officer was a woman, Number 1, played by Majel Barrett. The network didn't like it, so in the second pilot she was gone. Majel later returned as Nurse (still later Doctor) Christine Chapel.

Actually the pilot aired later that same season, repackaged as a two part episode.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:36 PM   #366
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Why do you assert that when it is very likely bad extrapolation on your part.
To be fair, I think a lot of the sexism in ST TOS can be forgiven if one acknowledges that Nancy Kovack was smoking hot back then.

Have you seen her original scene in "Private Little War" on the blooper reel? Goto 0:26.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Try not to drool.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 09:32 PM   #367
Axxman300
Illuminator

Aren't the impulse thrusters supposed to use fusion power? I think that's where the hydrogen from the Bussard scoops is supposed to go.

As for specifying speed, I guess you can always just stop accelerating once you've reached the desired speed. Though why would you want to stop accelerating early, if the purpose is just to get from point A to point B, well, that's another question. Probably best left to psychiatrists
Quote:
Propulsion system used aboard spacecraft for travel at subwarp speeds, employing traditional Newtonian action-reaction thrust physics. Full impulse speed is about one-quarter light speed, sufficient for interplanetary travel. Aboard Federation starships, fusion reactors power the engines using deuterium fuel to create helium plasma.
Source: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/impulse-drive
Old 15th September 2018, 10:06 PM   #368
Axxman300
Illuminator

Well yeah. TOS had the female crew in mini-skirts. Gene Roddenberry was adamant about pushing the sexy factor on the show. It was part of the sexual liberation going on at the time. There's one episode where Kirk is held prisoner on a planet where the society is based on ancient Rome, and he is given a woman for the evening. The implication is that he takes advantage if his gift.

This was Roddenberry's personal blind spot. Hunt down "Pretty Maids All in a Row", and movie he made in the mid-70's staring Rock Hudson as a homicidal high school football coach who shags co-eds, and kills them. James Doohan is in it. When he brought back Trek in TNG he double-down on a lot of that kind of thing in the first two seasons. It head the series back IMO.

Quote:
That was an allegory for women searching for ways to artificially attain a fictional standard of beauty instead of being happy with who they are. In the end of that episode the miners Mudd is trying trick with the beauty potion end up asking the women to stay because...well, they're in the sticks, and they're not that bad looking, and they're lonely.

Quote:
They often featured women in their landing parties who were scientists who specialized in geology, anthropology, botany, biology, etc.

Quote:
Not a glorified secretary. She was the communications officer, so on top of monitoring sub-space communication (whatever that is) she'd alert the Captain to other types of electronic communications the ship intercepted. She also participated in landing parties here and there.

Quote:
Star Trek's closest competitor was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, which was an all-white sausage festival. In some ways Voyage was ahead of its time. The first episode deals with the melting polar ice cap, and the crew is menaced by drone aircraft that can fire missiles. Lots of episodes about the impact of man on the oceans...but more episodes about getting stuck on a remote island where dinosaurs (giant iguanas) still rule. Star Trek was open to outside writers, so you got a diverse range of stories written by ex-cops, and ex-test pilots. Voyage was all Irwin Allen's crew, and the pots and monsters were often recycled in later seasons.

Star Trek wasn't perfect, but its writing stood out, which is why it continues to find new fans while its peer group has been largely forgotten.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:04 AM   #369
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Well yeah. TOS had the female crew in mini-skirts. Gene Roddenberry was adamant about pushing the sexy factor on the show. It was part of the sexual liberation going on at the time. There's one episode where Kirk is held prisoner on a planet where the society is based on ancient Rome, and he is given a woman for the evening. The implication is that he takes advantage if his gift.

This was Roddenberry's personal blind spot...
My god, man! You mean it was "Gene" who is responsible for giving me a "thing" about Thigh Highs?!!* Damn you, Gene!! Damn you!!!

*as per episode ST TOS S02E04 "Mirror, Mirror".
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts