ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th February 2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Elagabalus
Illuminator

DHL Totally Drops The Chicken

This just in ...

Quote:
KFC has closed more than half of its 900 UK outlets after delivery problems meant they ran out of chicken.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43110910
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

For some definition of "chicken". Seriously, I've never been able to figure out how they manage to get back in every damn piece.
Old 19th February 2018, 01:16 PM   #3
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
For some definition of "chicken". Seriously, I've never been able to figure out how they manage to get back in every damn piece.
You seriously do not want to know. but I am given to understand it involves mutations.................

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
You seriously do not want to know. but I am given to understand it involves mutations.................
Snopes is on the case!
Old 19th February 2018, 02:33 PM   #5
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Yay Snopes!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 05:25 PM   #6
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Previous supplier Bidvest shut down distribution centre with loss of 250 jobs. There's been some criticism about the former logistics operator (lateness, hygiene—unverified at the moment i.e. via Twitter) but they can't be accused of closing down 80% of one company's operations (okay, including franchises).
Old 19th February 2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Interestingly, the company used to be called officially "Kentucky Fried Chicken", implying that the product was made from identifiably chickeny bits, quality aside.

Then they changed it to the initials "KFC". So the letter "C" could presumably stand for any other animal named starting with a "c". For example, when they opened a store in my granny's suburb back in the day, the local cat lady who lived next door complained that all her feline friends started to disappear. Meanwhile that KFC would have regular specials of buckets with "more drumsticks, fewer wings".

Meanwhile in South America, there's capybara, a large and meaty rodent, and cavy, also known as guinea pig. And in the Middle East there's camel. And so on.

So yeah. KF-something-starting-with-C.

</silly>
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 02:19 AM   #8
smartcooky
Philosopher

Whoah... thats a relief.

When I saw the thread title, I thought for a moment there that there had been a mishap, and someone from DHL was going to have to say

"As God is my witness, I thought chickens could fly"
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 04:31 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"We can undercut your old delivery company"

"That's great, start next week!"

"We are sorry we missed you when we attempted to deliver your parcel. Your parcel will be held in our distribution centre for 7 days before being returned to the sender. Your distribution centre is 84 miles away and is open 10am to 4pm"
Old 20th February 2018, 09:26 AM   #10
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your distribution centre is 84 miles away and is open 10am to 4pm"
You're just bragging because you've got one of the good ones!
Old 20th February 2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"We can undercut your old delivery company"

"That's great, start next week!"

"We are sorry we missed you when we attempted to deliver your parcel. Your parcel will be held in our distribution centre for 7 days before being returned to the sender. Your distribution centre is 84 miles away and is open 10am to 4pm"
4am to 4.10am, more like....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 01:29 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Whoah... thats a relief.

When I saw the thread title, I thought for a moment there that there had been a mishap, and someone from DHL was going to have to say

"As God is my witness, I thought chickens could fly"
God, I love the episode of "WKRP In Cincanatti".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, I love the episode of "WKRP In Cincanatti".

I think you mean "Alice Cooper"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclus...ock?ref=scroll

WKRP is "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly". I looked it up.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Silly cityslickers, turkeys CAN fly!

And your spelling of Cincinnati is not even wrong, yet.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 02:21 PM   #14
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

<snip>
Silly cityslickers, turkeys CAN fly!
Slight correction - Wild turkeys can fly; domesticated ones, like the ones inferred as being used in that (in)famous WKRP episode cannot...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Slight correction - Wild turkeys can fly; domesticated ones, like the ones inferred as being used in that (in)famous WKRP episode cannot...
I have a rather stricter definition of avian "flight" than some... even argued it here re: chickens years ago.

So I have to think even wild turkeys would have a problem from a helo a couple hundred feet up.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 03:36 PM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
4am to 4.10am, more like....
The distribution centre is open 24 X 7. It is also located in a star system not far away. So what is the problem? Just come and collect. Your failure to do so is not our responsibility. Fees and charges will start to build up until you do collect.
Old 20th February 2018, 03:39 PM   #17
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

"This new supplier will charge us significantly less to do the same job!"

"Sounds too good to be true. Think there's a catch?"

"Nah. Let's do it!"
Old 20th February 2018, 05:07 PM   #18
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently they are saying disruption will continue for the rest of the week.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 05:44 PM   #19
fagin
Philosopher

A break from KFC might be good for some people's health except they'll probably go to McDonalds instead.
Old 20th February 2018, 06:22 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
"This new supplier will charge us significantly less to do the same job!"

"Sounds too good to be true. Think there's a catch?"

"Nah. Let's do it!"
As usual in the corporate world, some KFC exec who thought up stole this idea will be getting an even larger bonus this year while the hapless peons who got stuck with implementing it will be punished.

The guy who actually thought it up, had a correct implementation plan, and had it stolen and messed up by the boss will be trying to lie low.
Old 21st February 2018, 04:24 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently they are saying disruption will continue for the rest of the week.
I heard there was also a crash on the M6 that added to the issues. Oh and there are software issues.... Oh and it was on a Monday with rush hour traffic ... Oh and it was raining....

Does show how our central JIT distribution model leaves organisations very vulnerable.
Old 21st February 2018, 01:54 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

To be honest I would want the chicken arriving 'Just in time' and not hanging around the shop for a week or two!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 07:04 PM   #23
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The distribution centre is open 24 X 7. It is also located in a star system not far away. So what is the problem? Just come and collect. Your failure to do so is not our responsibility. Fees and charges will start to build up until you do collect.

Reminds me of

"All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years, so youíve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and itís far too late to start making a fuss about it now.í

ĎWhat do you mean youíve never been to Alpha Centauri? For heavenís sake mankind, itís only four light years away you know. Iím sorry, but if
you canít be bothered to take an interest in local affairs thatís your own lookout."
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 07:39 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
To be honest I would want the chicken arriving 'Just in time' and not hanging around the shop for a week or two!
You'll now be getting them after having been hanging around in transit for a week or two. Farm Fresh!
Old 21st February 2018, 07:42 PM   #25
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Having spent a number of years in logistics, I can tell you that there are a lot of "incumbents" breathing easy for the coming RFQ season. "Well, yeah, that guy's 30% cheaper but remember what happened to KFC?"

Heads should roll at KFC. This "it's all the new supplier's fault" is nonsense. I've been involved in dozens of transitions - having won new business and having lost old reliable accounts, and the successful ones have an implementation and transition team plotting the changes for six months to a year in advance.

They were warned. You get what you pay for and they bought the Powerpoint presentation and didn't bother to check that DHL actually had those bits of software and those food-grade facilities, just trusted in their pedigree.

DHL will be sued, but they've got deep pockets so the financial hit won't be massive; the public relations hit will be, though. (DHL is a bugaboo to the old guard capitalists in the industry. They were the Deutsche Post, and the German government decided to let them use their subsidized profits to go out in the field and buy up forwarding and logistics companies.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 08:02 PM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

DHL tried a few years back to go head-to-head with UPS and FedEx in the USA. It did not go well for them.

ETA: Oh, and about "Heads will roll at KFC." That's correct. But as usual, it'll be the wrong heads.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 21st February 2018 at 08:03 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:09 AM   #27
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Reminds me of

"All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years, so youíve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and itís far too late to start making a fuss about it now.í

ĎWhat do you mean youíve never been to Alpha Centauri? For heavenís sake mankind, itís only four light years away you know. Iím sorry, but if
you canít be bothered to take an interest in local affairs thatís your own lookout."
That is no coincidence. I based my post on that quote.
Old 22nd February 2018, 03:18 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Having spent a number of years in logistics, I can tell you that there are a lot of "incumbents" breathing easy for the coming RFQ season. "Well, yeah, that guy's 30% cheaper but remember what happened to KFC?"

Heads should roll at KFC. This "it's all the new supplier's fault" is nonsense. I've been involved in dozens of transitions - having won new business and having lost old reliable accounts, and the successful ones have an implementation and transition team plotting the changes for six months to a year in advance.

They were warned. You get what you pay for and they bought the Powerpoint presentation and didn't bother to check that DHL actually had those bits of software and those food-grade facilities, just trusted in their pedigree.

DHL will be sued, but they've got deep pockets so the financial hit won't be massive; the public relations hit will be, though. (DHL is a bugaboo to the old guard capitalists in the industry. They were the Deutsche Post, and the German government decided to let them use their subsidized profits to go out in the field and buy up forwarding and logistics companies.)
Problem I've seen in regards to this is that many times the in-house experts are the ones that will have been ignored and the ones that will have been let go as part of the "cost savings"! It's the old "familiarity breeds contempt" syndrome in business. In-house criticisms are waved aside as "they always complain" or "they always say it won't work" but shiny Mr Business-Consultant's words are gospel. So the only heads that could roll are at the very senior levels and guess what - they won't be rolling their own heads.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:13 AM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:27 PM   #30
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I had to return a fire tablet to Amazon a couple of weeks back. My little village has a Post Office, a Hermes collection point and an Amazon Logistics collection point. So which did they give me a return slip for (with no information)? Some forth option I'd never heard of (MyParcel I think?) that supposedly had a place eight miles away that I couldn't find with the help of Google Maps, plan B was another four miles or so and proved to be a little newsagent in the middle of a combined housing estate/industrial park/dystopian wasteland.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:02 PM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Smith and Jones had a take on it in their old sketch show

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 24th February 2018, 12:54 PM   #32
Molinaro
Illuminator

Love the apology ad put out by KFC.

Pic of a bucket with their name misspelled intentionally:

FCK

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news...ken/index.html

Last edited by Molinaro; 24th February 2018 at 12:55 PM.
Molinaro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 06:53 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
Love the apology ad put out by KFC.

Pic of a bucket with their name misspelled intentionally:

FCK

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news...ken/index.html
When life gives you lemons....

Kudos for them for turning this around. The ad agency probably worried like hell about making the presentation then breathed a massive sigh of relief when KFC/Yum! bought into it. Whomever runs KFC in the UK, I like them. They called a spade a spade and threw DHL (disclaimer, my lifelong enemies in the supply chain and distribution business) under one bus, two trains, and a refrigerated delivery van. Then, rather than hiding behind that blame, they haven't mentioned DHL again and are taking the responsibility and a fair amount of ridicule on their own shoulders.

Someone sold the board on the absurdity. I mean, I made the joke back during the bird flu outbreak in Hong Kong when KFC there had signs up that they would be operating on a limited menu. "Maybe call it Kentucky Fried Other Stuff? When your corporate life is chicken you can't really operate without chicken." They saw how painfully funny this is and decided to laugh with the others, at themselves.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics