ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Colorado elections , Colorado politics , Lauren Boebert , QAnon , republicans

Old 30th June 2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

QAnon crazy wins GOP primary

Quote:
Lauren Boebert, a political novice and gun-rights activist who has spoken approvingly of the pro-Trump conspiracy theory QAnon, claimed an upset primary victory on Tuesday night against Representative Scott Tipton of Colorado, unseating a five-term incumbent endorsed by President Trump.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/u...-colorado.html

Last edited by Bob001; 30th June 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:56 PM   #2
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:25 AM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Conservatives are just getting more extreme and more extreme.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:38 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What are they going to do when Trump is out of office?
Old 1st July 2020, 01:51 AM   #5
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
What are her chances in the general election?
Old 1st July 2020, 01:58 AM   #6
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What are her chances in the general election?
Reading the OP:

Quote:
unseating a five-term incumbent
I'd say her chances of election are excellent

Scott Tipton has polled in the mid-50's percent, his Democratic Party challenger in the low to mid 40's percent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_U...ado#District_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...ado#District_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...ado#District_3

edited to add....

It is worrying that an increasing number of GOP Congress People, a sizeable minority, will likely be QAnon believers after the 2020 elections.

edited again to add......

How long will it be before "QAnon Crazy" is superseded by "Mainstream Republican QAnon believer" ?

The religious right used to be the "crazies" in the GOP - then they became the mainstream

The Tea Party used to be the "crazies" in the GOP - then they became the mainstream

Now it's the QAnon believers.

What's next ? Openly white supremacists ? Flat Earthers ?

Last edited by The Don; 1st July 2020 at 02:05 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:49 AM   #7
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Reading the OP:

I'd say her chances of election are excellent

Scott Tipton has polled in the mid-50's percent, his Democratic Party challenger in the low to mid 40's percent
The real question is whether that carries over when the candidate isn't Tipton. Primary voters may be a very different from the general electorate, hence the question.
Old 1st July 2020, 04:56 AM   #8
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The real question is whether that carries over when the candidate isn't Tipton. Primary voters may be a very different from the general electorate, hence the question.
The third district leans strongly Republican so IMO they'll vote for her just as readily as they voted for her predecessor.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:08 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

It is worrying that an increasing number of GOP Congress People, a sizeable minority, will likely be QAnon believers after the 2020 elections.

It's going to be especially odd if these Q congresspeople win an election if Trump loses reelection. The Trump POTUS plays an important role in the Q conspiracy. Him leaving the office, especially if decisively beaten as some polls are predicting, without realizing whatever "Storm" that Q has been predicting is going to lead to a hairpin turn for the conspiracy. These congresspeople could be entering Congress at the exact moment of repudiation of the Q conspiracy.

I'm sure the true believers will find a way to continue the conspiracy, either by rationalizing the loss or downplaying the importance of Trump to the grander plot.

I am curious how many of these Q congresspeople are "true believers". As reps, they will have access to government records. Will a complete lack of corroborating evidence change their minds?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st July 2020 at 07:15 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:13 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're acting like a Qanon crazy didn't win the Presidency. This is small potatoes.
Old 1st July 2020, 07:17 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We're acting like a Qanon crazy didn't win the Presidency. This is small potatoes.
According to some Q-less people, Trump is the real author of the Q posts!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:17 AM   #12
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Tipton was endorsed by Trump. Bet we don't hear about Trump's endorsement record of xx-0 anytime soon.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:22 AM   #13
Donal
Illuminator

It will be interesting how the other factions react. Mainstream Republicans will probably pander to them simply out of fear for their own careers/safety.

With increased gains by the progressive wing, how will mainstream Dems react? Going more to the left will increase the rhetoric from the right. the problem is, the progressive agenda is currently getting popular, so it can't be ignored.
Old 1st July 2020, 07:25 AM   #14
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I am curious how many of these Q congresspeople are "true believers". As reps, they will have access to government records. Will a complete lack of corroborating evidence change their minds?
No, the lack of evidence will be clear proof about how deep the conspiracy runs and how effective TPTB are at covering it up.
Old 1st July 2020, 08:08 AM   #15
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Tipton was endorsed by Trump. Bet we don't hear about Trump's endorsement record of xx-0 anytime soon.
I suspect we haven't heard the last of those claims...

He will either outright lie (Tipton? Never heard of him) or come up with a new definition of "perfect" (like "I have a perfect endorsement record.. for candidates whose name starts with a vowel... When I have given the endorsement during a full moon".)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 08:52 AM   #16
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Going more to the left will increase the rhetoric from the right.

Does anything at all seem to indicate that right-wingers are somehow appeased by Hillary Clinton but upset by AOC or Bernie Sanders? Sanders seems to be much better at reaching out to them than Biden.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:23 AM   #17
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Does anything at all seem to indicate that right-wingers are somehow appeased by Hillary Clinton but upset by AOC or Bernie Sanders? Sanders seems to be much better at reaching out to them than Biden.
I don't think Sanders was reaching out to "right wingers". The overlap between berniebros and trumpanzees was not over policy, but an anti-establishment "burn it all down" mentality.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:25 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think the number of people who really make these sort of "Oh the other side has gotten this crazy, therefore I have to push my side to be this crazy to balance" conscious decisions is nowhere near as big as the internet thinks it is.

People in the real world are hugely tribalistic, but they don't put nearly as much intentional thought or efforting to justifying it or clarifying it as online political fandoms do.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 1st July 2020 at 09:29 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:28 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I suspect we haven't heard the last of those claims...

He will either outright lie (Tipton? Never heard of him) or come up with a new definition of "perfect" (like "I have a perfect endorsement record.. for candidates whose name starts with a vowel... When I have given the endorsement during a full moon".)

Slyjoe is giving Trump too much credit. He's been lying about it for a long time.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:35 AM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

I think the number of people who really make these sort of "Oh the other side has gotten this crazy, therefore I have to push my side to be this crazy to balance" conscious decisions is nowhere near as big as the internet thinks it is.

People in the real world are hugely tribalistic, but they don't put nearly as much intentional thought or efforting to justifying it or clarifying it as online political fandoms do.

I think we're seeing radicalizing, both left and right, because there is a growing perception that the centrist liberals and conservatives are not up to the challenges of the moment.

The QAnon movement harnesses that intense distrust of our leadership class and diverts it down a bizarre conspiracy rabit-hole. But the initial instinct, that our leaders do not represent our best interests, is not a fantasy.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st July 2020 at 09:37 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:39 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think we're seeing radicalizing, both left and right, because there is a growing perception that the centrist liberals and conservatives are not up to the challenges of the moment.
You mean the perception that you harp on every second of every day every chance you get? That perception might be leading to radicalization?

It's all nonsense anyway. Reality is not a straight Left to Right scale representable by some dot on it.

If your want your house at 70 degrees and it's at 60, you set the thermostat to 70, you don't set your house on fire to even it out quicker.

Political thinking on the level of "Well the recipe says to put turkey in the oven for 4 hours at 300 degrees, so logically 1 hour at 1,200 degrees should achieve the exact same results" make me nervous.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:45 AM   #22
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

You mean the perception that you harp on every second of every day every chance you get? That perception might be leading to radicalization?

It's all nonsense anyway. Reality is not a straight Left to Right scale representable by some dot on it.

If your want your house at 70 degrees and it's at 60, you set the thermostat to 70, you don't set your house on fire to even it out quicker.

Political thinking on the level of "Well the recipe says to put turkey in the oven for 4 hours at 300 degrees, so logically 1 hour at 1,200 degrees should achieve the exact same results" make me nervous.
Yes, my posting is responsible for this moment of political instability we are experiencing in the US. Finally the recognition I crave.

Do you not perceive that there is growing dissatisfaction, within both sides of our two-party system, that the status-quo is no longer acceptable?

Obviously this is true for the Republicans, which elected a charlatan flirting with authoritarianism. Meanwhile the Democrats struggle to find anyone under the age of 50 that wants anything to do with the party establishment.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:50 AM   #23
Donal
Illuminator

Are you kidding? Have you heard all the red-baiting? McConnell has gone on tV and said Joe Biden is bringing socialism to the Oval Office. the only time the GOP has anything nice to say about Sanders is when they are trying to talk about the primary process and perception of it being rigged.
Old 1st July 2020, 10:02 AM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

The internet is generally a poor reflection of reality.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:22 AM   #25
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Slyjoe is giving Trump too much credit. He's been lying about it for a long time.
Oh I know. It appears once in a while someone tells him to lay off a certain topic for a little bit. His endorsement record will be hushed for a while.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:53 AM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THIS,
FOr the record, last election in that district was very close. Dems see this as a very possible pickup.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:19 AM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

You're asserting that it would be a conscious decision. It's reactionary.

Quote:
The real world? We're not talking about the "average" person. We're talking about the people actually running the major parties.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:22 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're talking about the people actually running the major parties.
No I'm talking about people on the internet that need to stick their head outside into meat space and take a breath of fresh air and realize that insular, online, anonymous, consequence free discourse is not how the real world operates and the people running the parties are generally not, nor should be, appealing to us.

99% of the rank and file people in America don't care where Biden or Trump rank on some Buzzfeed Internet "How Left/Right are you?" quiz.

The internet feeds "I'm more X than you" type of arguments. Real life tires of them very, very quickly.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:36 AM   #29
Donal
Illuminator

No I'm talking about people on the internet that need to stick their head outside into meat space and take a breath of fresh air and realize that insular, online, anonymous, consequence free discourse is not how the real world operates and the people running the parties are generally not, nor should be, appealing to us.
Not about appealing to extremely online people. It's about seeing warning signs. When I have middle-aged and retirement age family members sharing videos of Candace Ownes and Ben Shapiro talking about their "great points", I get concerned. When you have a president spouting off like an unmoderated comment section to distract people from the GOP packing the courts, there is a problem.

Quote:
99% of the rank and file people in America don't care where Biden or Trump rank on some Buzzfeed Internet "How Left/Right are you?" quiz.
Not what we're talking about. I'm talking about the ******* crazy talking points that start of 4chan and find their way onto primetime television.

Quote:
The internet feeds "I'm more X than you" type of arguments. Real-life tires of them very, very quickly.
You understand this thread is about several of those types winning primaries and most likely congressional seats, right? It doesn't matter if no one talks to them at parties. It matters that they manage to game their way into elected and appointed office.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:48 AM   #30
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not about appealing to extremely online people. It's about seeing warning signs. When I have middle-aged and retirement age family members sharing videos of Candace Ownes and Ben Shapiro talking about their "great points", I get concerned. When you have a president spouting off like an unmoderated comment section to distract people from the GOP packing the courts, there is a problem.

Not what we're talking about. I'm talking about the ******* crazy talking points that start of 4chan and find their way onto primetime television.

You understand this thread is about several of those types winning primaries and most likely congressional seats, right? It doesn't matter if no one talks to them at parties. It matters that they manage to game their way into elected and appointed office.
He's not trying to distract from that. He brags about it. He's especially proud of how many more judges he's appointed than Obama, ignoring that MitchTheTurtle basically wouldn't allow the Senate to confirm them.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:48 AM   #31
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Wow. She owns a gun-themed restaurant called Shooters Grill. Where the gimmick is that all the waiters are armed. In Rifle, Colorado.

Which is all fine, but somehow they aren't using the slogan "Come to Shooters Grill, and get a belly full of lead!"

And for that reason alone, I must oppose her candidacy.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:24 PM   #32
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He's not trying to distract from that. He brags about it. He's especially proud of how many more judges he's appointed than Obama, ignoring that MitchTheTurtle basically wouldn't allow the Senate to confirm them.
But that's not what the news in "the real world" talks about. Ya, they mention it, but, mother of god, CNN will dedicate 23 hours and 30 minutes a day to every stupid, racist, reactionary tweet from Trump and throw out a "ya, and he's appointing a record number of judges". And then FOX will talk about the outrage online about said tweets. And then the traditional networks will pontificate about it all on Sunday mornings. The media seem to be the ones caught up in extremely online discussions while ignoring the very real dangers that you can see coming from online. Using it as a way to dismiss real grassroots movements. And then [long, somewhat unhinged rant about the failures of modern media].

I should say that a I agree that there are a lot of very online people who have their heads up their own nethers. And there does seem to be an outrage industry in which people on the left and right feed into each other for mutual profit. And there is also a massive signal to noise ratio problem. But, I don't buy this notion that you can just out of hand dismiss what happens online as "not the real world". The internet is a communication medium and this is what some folks are communicating.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:29 PM   #33
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Are you kidding? Have you heard all the red-baiting? McConnell has gone on tV and said Joe Biden is bringing socialism to the Oval Office. the only time the GOP has anything nice to say about Sanders is when they are trying to talk about the primary process and perception of it being rigged.

You don't seem to notice that you are proving my point.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:34 PM   #34
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

I am curious what the right would say if we actually had a black, muslim, crypto-marxist president married to a trans woman. That's how they responded to Obama's brand of mild centrism. What insults have they left for a real lefty degenerate?
Old 1st July 2020, 01:44 PM   #35
Donal
Illuminator

How? How does it prove your point that Republican leadership is equating the centrist Democrat with a caricature of the progressive wing of the Dems? How does it disprove the notion that if centrist Dems tried to actually reach out to progressives, the mainstream Republicans would crank up the rhetoric?
Old 1st July 2020, 03:13 PM   #36
zorro99
Muse

Nearly 600,000 people have voted for candidates who support QAnon
The overlap of Q supporters with Trump’s base of support is not a coincidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...support-qanon/
Old 1st July 2020, 03:22 PM   #37
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Nearly 600,000 people have voted for candidates who support QAnon
The overlap of Q supporters with Trump’s base of support is not a coincidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...support-qanon/
Just goes to show that a large amount of people in this country are...ahem...stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:44 PM   #38
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
THIS,
FOr the record, last election in that district was very close. Dems see this as a very possible pickup.
Not that close IMO. The wiki pages I linked upthread give the last 3 election results. For sure the Democrats halved his margin to "only" 8% but that's still a healthy margin during a "Blue Wave".

It's not unwinnable for the Democrats, but it'll be a stretch.
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:55 AM   #39
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not that close IMO. The wiki pages I linked upthread give the last 3 election results. For sure the Democrats halved his margin to "only" 8% but that's still a healthy margin during a "Blue Wave".

It's not unwinnable for the Democrats, but it'll be a stretch.
As soon as this person start *cough* shooting off her mouth, the stretch will become easier and easier.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:27 AM   #40
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
As soon as this person start *cough* shooting off her mouth, the stretch will become easier and easier.
That presumes that a significant proportion of people actually listen to, and care about, what the candidate says as opposed to just voting for a party and/or getting all their information from that candidate's TV campaign ads.

The Colorado 3rd district has been reliably Republican for the last 10 years. It's a rural district which again tends to suggest that it leans conservative. There are a lot of people there who will vote for the party, not any specific candidate.

The 2018 House elections represented a pretty good "blue wave" and yet the GOP held onto a healthy 8 point majority - interestingly the Democratic Party candidate actually polled fewer votes in 2018 than they did in 2016.

edited to add......

IMO her stance on the second amendment and open carry is going to garner her support, her anti-establishment stance is also going to endear her to the Western Colorado electorate and the fact that she's not unattractive won't hurt her chances among old white men.

Last edited by The Don; 2nd July 2020 at 02:31 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics