ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Reply
Old 18th September 2019, 02:07 AM   #321
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,257
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If I had an explanation like that, I would not have even bothered posting in this thread. There was no structural explanation for what I heard.
I was lucky to have stumbled across the explaination. If I hadn't then maybe I'd be the one arguing I knew what I'd heard and ghosts rattled my washing up. The existence of a mundane explaination is not dependant on our know it.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:52 AM   #322
Carlotta
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 387
Nessie, you didn't answer my question in post #255. Was something a trick of the light and a legitimate ghost at the same time?
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:51 PM   #323
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Late to the party (as frequently happens) I've been wondering how a trick of the light can simultaneously be a legitimate ghost. Maybe I missed something.
If you mean the headlight ghost story, that is a trick of the light, not a ghost. The way the light and shadow moved across the road, it looked like a shadowy person had run across the road. That was confirmed by repeated sightings and on the right night (clear, no wind, moon in the sky) it was possible to see it, turn around and drive by again and see it again.

That is one of the reasons why the footsteps in the house was so odd. It happened once in four years. If it was something structural, I would have heard it more than once.
Being a creature of habit, I would watch TV till 01.00 and then go to the bathroom and then go to bed. There was nothing in the house that could have caused footsteps to be so clear and it happened only once.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:11 PM   #324
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,362
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If you mean the headlight ghost story, that is a trick of the light, not a ghost. The way the light and shadow moved across the road, it looked like a shadowy person had run across the road. That was confirmed by repeated sightings and on the right night (clear, no wind, moon in the sky) it was possible to see it, turn around and drive by again and see it again.

That is one of the reasons why the footsteps in the house was so odd. It happened once in four years. If it was something structural, I would have heard it more than once.
Being a creature of habit, I would watch TV till 01.00 and then go to the bathroom and then go to bed. There was nothing in the house that could have caused footsteps to be so clear and it happened only once.
Maybe the headlight ghost died while crossing that road after murdering children and now he/she is doomed to repeat that fateful night for eternity? You don't know!
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:13 PM   #325
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,527
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If you mean the headlight ghost story, that is a trick of the light, not a ghost. The way the light and shadow moved across the road, it looked like a shadowy person had run across the road. That was confirmed by repeated sightings and on the right night (clear, no wind, moon in the sky) it was possible to see it, turn around and drive by again and see it again.

That is one of the reasons why the footsteps in the house was so odd. It happened once in four years. If it was something structural, I would have heard it more than once.
Being a creature of habit, I would watch TV till 01.00 and then go to the bathroom and then go to bed. There was nothing in the house that could have caused footsteps to be so clear and it happened only once.
But here's your problem. I was woken several irregular times over a period of weeks by heavy leaden footsteps of uncertain origin.

I worked it out. You just don't want to.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:27 PM   #326
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
But here's your problem. I was woken several irregular times over a period of weeks by heavy leaden footsteps of uncertain origin.

I worked it out. You just don't want to.
You worked it out because it repeated. I did not have that opportunity.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:50 PM   #327
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45,130
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
You worked it out because it repeated. I did not have that opportunity.
Assuming your perception and memory are accurate, which is not a good assumption.

Anyway, without an opportunity to work it out, you can't just default to "therefore ghosts are real". The appropriate default in that scenario is "therefore I can't say what it was."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:57 PM   #328
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,527
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
You worked it out because it repeated. I did not have that opportunity.
You didn't even try. Because you don't want to. Because you prefer the cosy little illusion that you have found something, anything, inexplicable.

The difference between us is that you immediately responded with "Ghosts" and left it at that, whereas I responded with "What's going on here? Let's find out".

You preferentially settled for the first answer you liked. I did not.

You decided on the basis of nothing to believe in something you made up out of whole cloth because you liked it. I decided to nail the actual cause.

I put in the effort to determine a cause, you could not be bothered preferring instead to leap wholeheartedly to an unjustified conclusion simply because you liked it.

I am sorry if this gives you grief, but those are the facts. You have an unexplained sound and that's it. I had an unexplained sound and determined the actual cause by sheer effort and attention to detail. And EVIDENCE.

Were I of your frame of mind, I could genuinely have recorded those sonorous steps and posted them on the web, except there wasn't one back then. Were video as easy as it is now, I could have recorded objects apparently spontaneously moving in my bedroom, but alas such facilities were not available at the time. I had to make do on my own.

So, I went through some sleepless nights waiting up for the event to happen and sure enough, eventually it did happen. Sonerous footsteps transpired. Because I was wide awake waiting for it for the first time, I immediately identified it was coming from the wardrobe.

Next step, repeat with the wardrobe left wide open. Imagine my surprise when the hangers in the wardrobe apparently started spontaneously moving of their own accord. It was like watching the internals of a piano playing. WTF?

Some inspection revealed that only empty hangers moved. Why would that be?

So, out of curiousity, I simply swung an empty hangar. It clonked against the backboard of the wardrobe. close the door (as much as possible) and repeat
and discover that the backboard acts as a soundboard and the body and cavity of the wardrobe acts as a resonance box much like a guitar. Aha. Something must be moving the hangers, but only the empty ones to generate the sound.

Now what would be so lightweight so as to only move the empty hangars?

By pure luck and many sleepless nights, I had my answer. It was a mouse. He had somehow determine that the best route through my bedroom was across the hangars, but at the rear where he could not be seen. The only hangars that move enough were the empty ones, they clonked of the back and the entire wardrobe resonated in a very dramatic way.

One mousetrap later, no more footsteps.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:17 PM   #329
Carlotta
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If you mean the headlight ghost story, that is a trick of the light, not a ghost. The way the light and shadow moved across the road, it looked like a shadowy person had run across the road. That was confirmed by repeated sightings and on the right night (clear, no wind, moon in the sky) it was possible to see it, turn around and drive by again and see it again.

That is one of the reasons why the footsteps in the house was so odd. It happened once in four years. If it was something structural, I would have heard it more than once.
Being a creature of habit, I would watch TV till 01.00 and then go to the bathroom and then go to bed. There was nothing in the house that could have caused footsteps to be so clear and it happened only once.
Thanks!!!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:28 PM   #330
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,367
Nessie, would you please reply to my suggestion of possible explanation? Thank you.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:33 AM   #331
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home.
Posts: 7,947
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If you mean the headlight ghost story, that is a trick of the light, not a ghost. The way the light and shadow moved across the road, it looked like a shadowy person had run across the road. That was confirmed by repeated sightings and on the right night (clear, no wind, moon in the sky) it was possible to see it, turn around and drive by again and see it again.

That is one of the reasons why the footsteps in the house was so odd. It happened once in four years. If it was something structural, I would have heard it more than once.
Being a creature of habit, I would watch TV till 01.00 and then go to the bathroom and then go to bed. There was nothing in the house that could have caused footsteps to be so clear and it happened only once.
There is your answer. You've flushed the toilet and on this occasion it has caused percussion in the pipes.
__________________
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:20 AM   #332
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You didn't even try. Because you don't want to. Because you prefer the cosy little illusion that you have found something, anything, inexplicable.

The difference between us is that you immediately responded with "Ghosts" and left it at that, whereas I responded with "What's going on here? Let's find out".

You preferentially settled for the first answer you liked. I did not.
No, at the time I looked for various obvious possibles, such as I searched the house in case someone had come inside and I checked other residents to see if had been one of them (even though the steps had walked right by me and I saw no one).

I walked the route of the steps to see if I could replicate the noise, but I knew there were no creaking floor boards or anything like that.

Quote:
You decided on the basis of nothing to believe in something you made up out of whole cloth because you liked it. I decided to nail the actual cause.

I put in the effort to determine a cause, you could not be bothered preferring instead to leap wholeheartedly to an unjustified conclusion simply because you liked it.

I am sorry if this gives you grief, but those are the facts. You have an unexplained sound and that's it. I had an unexplained sound and determined the actual cause by sheer effort and attention to detail. And EVIDENCE.

Were I of your frame of mind, I could genuinely have recorded those sonorous steps and posted them on the web, except there wasn't one back then. Were video as easy as it is now, I could have recorded objects apparently spontaneously moving in my bedroom, but alas such facilities were not available at the time. I had to make do on my own.

So, I went through some sleepless nights waiting up for the event to happen and sure enough, eventually it did happen. Sonerous footsteps transpired. Because I was wide awake waiting for it for the first time, I immediately identified it was coming from the wardrobe.

Next step, repeat with the wardrobe left wide open. Imagine my surprise when the hangers in the wardrobe apparently started spontaneously moving of their own accord. It was like watching the internals of a piano playing. WTF?

Some inspection revealed that only empty hangers moved. Why would that be?

So, out of curiousity, I simply swung an empty hangar. It clonked against the backboard of the wardrobe. close the door (as much as possible) and repeat
and discover that the backboard acts as a soundboard and the body and cavity of the wardrobe acts as a resonance box much like a guitar. Aha. Something must be moving the hangers, but only the empty ones to generate the sound.

Now what would be so lightweight so as to only move the empty hangars?

By pure luck and many sleepless nights, I had my answer. It was a mouse. He had somehow determine that the best route through my bedroom was across the hangars, but at the rear where he could not be seen. The only hangars that move enough were the empty ones, they clonked of the back and the entire wardrobe resonated in a very dramatic way.

One mousetrap later, no more footsteps.
I never heard the noise again, so that I could further investigate.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:24 AM   #333
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Assuming your perception and memory are accurate, which is not a good assumption.

Anyway, without an opportunity to work it out, you can't just default to "therefore ghosts are real". The appropriate default in that scenario is "therefore I can't say what it was."
I think personal experience and credible witnesses of other similar events makes it reasonable to say there is such a thing as a ghost, but we do not know exactly what a ghost is.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #334
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I believe we have all had the experience of thinking we hear our name called, or thinking we may have heard someone speak, when no one was there. Couldn't the foot steps have the same source?
I never told anyone about what happened that night for a few years. I was hoping it would repeat or I found the source.

Then one day my wife asked me to make sure I kept the doors locked as she had heard someone walk down the hallway. She was adamant someone had come into the house, but when she had checked, no one was there and she admitted she had checked the doors and they were locked.

I just brushed it off as is happening in this thread right now. Go on a while and my wife told me she had been told someone had died in the house just before we had moved in. I then told her about my experience with footsteps in the hall.

The point is to all the ghost stories I have told, is that in all cases it is credible witnesses who at the time did not think, ghost, we all thought someone really was there.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:33 AM   #335
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,350
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I walked the route of the steps to see if I could replicate the noise, but I knew there were no creaking floor boards or anything like that.
Then I think it's safe to say that what you heard was not footsteps. It must have been some other kind of noise.

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think personal experience and credible witnesses of other similar events makes it reasonable to say there is such a thing as a ghost, but we do not know exactly what a ghost is.
Are personal experience and credible witnesses sufficient to say that UFOs are alien spacecraft? Are they sufficient to say that homeopathy works? That drinking industrial bleach can cure cancer?

We are skeptics. We require more than just personal experience and credible witnesses. We require verifiable data that is consistent with reality as is currently understood. And when that data isn't available, we say that we don't know, and we accept that in some cases we might never know. A lack of verifiable data is absolutely not evidence of ghosts.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:34 AM   #336
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
There is your answer. You've flushed the toilet and on this occasion it has caused percussion in the pipes.
I heard the footsteps before I flushed.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:35 AM   #337
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,350
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I never told anyone about what happened that night for a few years. I was hoping it would repeat or I found the source.

Then one day my wife asked me to make sure I kept the doors locked as she had heard someone walk down the hallway. She was adamant someone had come into the house, but when she had checked, no one was there and she admitted she had checked the doors and they were locked.

I just brushed it off as is happening in this thread right now. Go on a while and my wife told me she had been told someone had died in the house just before we had moved in. I then told her about my experience with footsteps in the hall.

The point is to all the ghost stories I have told, is that in all cases it is credible witnesses who at the time did not think, ghost, we all thought someone really was there.
There was obviously a noise. More than one person heard it. It probably sounded a lot like footsteps, but it can't possibly have been footsteps. It was something else. If you want to explain this phenomenon, look for something that can make a noise that sounds like footsteps.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:39 AM   #338
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Then I think it's safe to say that what you heard was not footsteps. It must have been some other kind of noise.

Are personal experience and credible witnesses sufficient to say that UFOs are alien spacecraft? Are they sufficient to say that homeopathy works? That drinking industrial bleach can cure cancer?

We are skeptics. We require more than just personal experience and credible witnesses. We require verifiable data that is consistent with reality as is currently understood. And when that data isn't available, we say that we don't know, and we accept that in some cases we might never know. A lack of verifiable data is absolutely not evidence of ghosts.
I am not arguing I have proof of ghosts and I accept my evidence is weak. Witness evidence is the weakest form of evidence.

What I am saying is that there is something out there, which is certainly not rattling plumbing or creaking floor boards, that causes credible people to have strange experiences where they think someone real is there, but they are not.

I suspect it may, as you say, we have to accept we might never know.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:42 AM   #339
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,236
In the words of Sir David Attenborough:

"The correct scientific response to something which is not understood is always to look harder for the explanation, not give up and assume a supernatural cause".
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 10:41 AM   #340
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,542
I can tell ghost stories all day but I don't waste the bandwidth because just because I saw something doesn't make it real.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:02 AM   #341
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
In the words of Sir David Attenborough:

"The correct scientific response to something which is not understood is always to look harder for the explanation, not give up and assume a supernatural cause".

True, at the macro, big-picture level. But at the individual level, and in practice, there's a small practical difficulty here.

One may, in specific instances, not be able to, nor want to, "look harder", given that one's time and money and interests aren't all-encompassing.

In such cases, and given overwhelming certitude on the part of others in one's local universe as far as that specific issue, one's "I don't know" skepticism, while perfectly correct, comes across as lame.

Of course, that's a problem only if one sees it as such. If one can live with "lame" -- that is, if one can be largely impervious to others' views, and especially to others' views on one's own views, then I guess the problem ceases to be a problem.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:34 AM   #342
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,236
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Of course, that's a problem only if one sees it as such. If one can live with "lame" -- that is, if one can be largely impervious to others' views, and especially to others' views on one's own views, then I guess the problem ceases to be a problem.
I long ago realised that the secret of human happiness is not giving a toss what other people think of you.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:43 PM   #343
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,599
So true. While we should make an effort to fit into society we also should not let society control us into the microcosm that is our individuality.

An odd belief or two, accepted ignorance in some subjects and being specialsits in other things. It makes any society more interesting.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:07 PM   #344
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,367
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I long ago realised that the secret of human happiness is not giving a toss what other people think of you.
This is so important. For me, it took awhile and increased as I aged. What a relief to really not give a flying flute what anyone thinks.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 09:24 PM   #345
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I long ago realised that the secret of human happiness is not giving a toss what other people think of you.

Amen to that.

But of course, that's only part of it. Living with what others find "lame" in you, sure; but also, living with what, given others' certitude, might appear kind of lame even to you, and wholly irrespective of what others think of you, I'd say that takes some remarkable, and IMO deliberate, confidence in oneself and one's world-view.

For instance, when faced with what everyone around you agrees is an otherworldly manifestation, if you can go out and follow David Attenborough's exhortation of "looking harder", and debunk that view to your full satisfaction, well then that's one thing; but if as often happens in practice, given your own limited resources of time and effort and energy/interest, as well as the large number of issues that might surround you, broadly speaking, then, to be satisfied with a lame-sounding "I don't know" in the face of others' strongly held view that it's a ghost -- and of course, this is just an example, it could be anything, not just ghosts, God for instance, or UFOs, or planetary alignments -- that, even leaving aside what others might think of you, does take a very fundamental sense of self-worth as well as confidence in one's worldview.


---





Of course, such "confidence" in one's "world-view" -- others might see it as obstinacy -- might swing both ways. The same might, not unreasonably, be said of the moon landings, after all, right?

And this points at a very real practical issue when it comes to skepticism. Most people cannot, or at least, will not want to, devote all of one's life to debunking all kinds of weird ideas : so that, to stick to a sane worldview, often in the teeth of a very different view held by most others, takes not just obstinacy, but also a, I don't know, a certain discernment?

But that "discernment", isn't there necessarily something of a 'No true Scotsman' about it?

True skepticism is, ultimately, hard work. The difficulty is, this kind of hard work, beyond a point, isn't really feasible for most people at most times, and, in any case, does not really make for much of "human happiness"!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 10:27 PM   #346
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,542
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I am not arguing I have proof of ghosts and I accept my evidence is weak. Witness evidence is the weakest form of evidence.

What I am saying is that there is something out there, which is certainly not rattling plumbing or creaking floor boards, that causes credible people to have strange experiences where they think someone real is there, but they are not.

I suspect it may, as you say, we have to accept we might never know.
Again...you are free to believe in whatever you wish. But when you post ghost stories here you should expect them to be ripped apart. This forum has made me a better ghost hunter in many ways. I'd never post the weird, unexplained stories here due to the fact that unexplained doesn't mean paranormal even when the unexplained is pretty amazing. That's not how this board works because that's not how science works.

Credible witnesses are a good starting place but they are not where this phenomenon will/might be proven to be real.

I've done a lot of field work on this subject. I love a good ghost story. I have no proof to offer, and I have substantiated the infrasound theory (which is cool).

Unexplained doesn't equal ghost. I have learned just how amazing and incredible things can happen naturally that are 100% rooted in science. This has made my hobby just as rewarding.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:16 PM   #347
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,007
How do we explain ghosts?

Easy. They don't exist. Next question.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 01:57 AM   #348
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Again...you are free to believe in whatever you wish. But when you post ghost stories here you should expect them to be ripped apart. This forum has made me a better ghost hunter in many ways. I'd never post the weird, unexplained stories here due to the fact that unexplained doesn't mean paranormal even when the unexplained is pretty amazing. That's not how this board works because that's not how science works.

Credible witnesses are a good starting place but they are not where this phenomenon will/might be proven to be real.

I've done a lot of field work on this subject. I love a good ghost story. I have no proof to offer, and I have substantiated the infrasound theory (which is cool).

Unexplained doesn't equal ghost. I have learned just how amazing and incredible things can happen naturally that are 100% rooted in science. This has made my hobby just as rewarding.
First, define ghost.

All I am saying is that there is something out there, which cannot be a projection from within the person who sees or hears it.

I just call it a ghost, but it may be something that needs a new term to describe it.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 02:08 AM   #349
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,257
Isn't it more parsimonious to say we have an inherent tendency to see patterns and assign agency even when neither are present which leads us which can lead us to misinterpret incomplete and/or misremembered information?
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 03:15 AM   #350
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Isn't it more parsimonious to say we have an inherent tendency to see patterns and assign agency even when neither are present which leads us which can lead us to misinterpret incomplete and/or misremembered information?
At the time of the sighting or hearing, ghost was not even thought of. All thought they were seeing/hearing an actual person. It was only after that the question arose, who the heck was that?
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 09:42 AM   #351
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
At the time of the sighting or hearing, ghost was not even thought of. ...

Your POV appears valid to me. You don't dismiss what you cannot explain in deference to the clamor here, just as you do not accept a paranormal explanation in deference to the clamor from the woo-woo crowd. What you don't know, you say don't know. That's fair.

But the question would still remain, those what-it-was-you-don't-know footsteps, why bring the ghost narrative, or the ghost word, into it all? Why not ninja assasins? Why not aliens? Why not an ape that's somehow found its way in there, and can leap away from some window or large vent back outdoors, somehow keeping its presence hidden? Even if only afterwards, why "ghosts", particularly, no matter how you define that term?
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:07 AM   #352
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
What do you think could cause a clomping sound, that sounds just like you are walking through your house, but it is not you and no one else is there?
There's the evident chink in your thought process. Because the sound resembled footsteps you assume they were footsteps, when in fact the cause of the sound is unknown. Don't misunderstand, for all anyone knows you may have heard ghostly footsteps, but you have no hard evidence.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:16 AM   #353
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45,130
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
First, define ghost.

All I am saying is that there is something out there, which cannot be a projection from within the person who sees or hears it.
Except you haven't ruled out projection.

Nor have you ruled in ghosts, except as a possible explanation for this particular anecdote.

Most things that exist independently of our projections - trees, airplanes, the sun, etc. - can be shown to exist independently of anecdotal perception of them. You can predict and observe and test airplanes. You can show that they exist (to within the limits of philosophical metaphysics, anyway) by any number of means that don't depend on someone telling unverifiable ghost stories years after the fact.

But "ghosts" fall squarely into the category of things that supposedly exist independent of human perception, but only ever manifest as anecdotes about human perception. That's not a property of any real thing other than the limits of human perception and memory.

Quote:
I just call it a ghost, but it may be something that needs a new term to describe it.
We already have an old term to describe it. We won't need a new term until you actually come up with something new.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 10:34 AM   #354
rockysmith76
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,270
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We are skeptics. We require more than just personal experience and credible witnesses. We require verifiable data that is consistent with reality as is currently understood. And when that data isn't available, we say that we don't know, and we accept that in some cases we might never know. A lack of verifiable data is absolutely not evidence of ghosts.
y'all dont bleeve in nuthin
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 11:39 AM   #355
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,542
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
First, define ghost.

All I am saying is that there is something out there, which cannot be a projection from within the person who sees or hears it.

I just call it a ghost, but it may be something that needs a new term to describe it.
A Ghost is a noun covering a range of encounters with things that are not there: apparitions, poltergeists, disembodied voices, feelings of being watched.

Before anybody can ACCURATELY define what a ghost is they need to confirm they exist.

Plus your assertion that they cannot be a projection from within a person is not consistent with the facts, even ghost hunter facts.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 12:20 PM   #356
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Your POV appears valid to me. You don't dismiss what you cannot explain in deference to the clamor here, just as you do not accept a paranormal explanation in deference to the clamor from the woo-woo crowd. What you don't know, you say don't know. That's fair.

But the question would still remain, those what-it-was-you-don't-know footsteps, why bring the ghost narrative, or the ghost word, into it all? Why not ninja assasins? Why not aliens? Why not an ape that's somehow found its way in there, and can leap away from some window or large vent back outdoors, somehow keeping its presence hidden? Even if only afterwards, why "ghosts", particularly, no matter how you define that term?
I call them ghosts because that is the word closest in definition to what was experienced.

I think within all the sightings and hearings of ghosts, there is a lot of explainable events and then there is a subset which suggests that there is something, ghost like, that very occasionally makes an appearance.

The best example is the story of the people being asked to move out of the room they were sleeping in. When it was the kid who said a lady had asked him to move, clearly that was put down to him being a kid. But when it happened to the adult and he said that at the time, he thought he was with someone else who was staying in the house who he did not know, that was freaky.

The minister and the lady with the book and the police officers, they also thought they were seeing someone alive, who then disappeared.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 12:21 PM   #357
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,657
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
There's the evident chink in your thought process. Because the sound resembled footsteps you assume they were footsteps, when in fact the cause of the sound is unknown. Don't misunderstand, for all anyone knows you may have heard ghostly footsteps, but you have no hard evidence.
I fear that is the nature of ghosts, they don't leave hard evidence.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 01:01 PM   #358
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45,130
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I fear that is the nature of ghosts, they don't leave hard evidence.
That's the nature of things that don't exist.

You're reduced to inventing ad hoc properties for something that isn't predictable, isn't detectable, isn't measurable, in order to keep up the excuse that it somehow exists anyway. That's pure woo.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 10:16 AM   #359
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,362
The most used and accepted definition of a ghost is the disembodied spirit of a dead person. I’ve also heard it used, less often, in the sense of any kind of incorporeal entity, be it a dead person, a demon or some other entity.

So going with that definition, when one says, “It’s a ghost!” they very specifically mean incorporeal entity of some kind, usually a dead person.

Those footsteps you heard but can’t explain? When you say “ghost,” you are specifically saying it’s an incorporeal entity. I don’t understand how you get to that from such a mundane sound. There are literally thousands of things it could be and Abaddon gave an account of something you would probably never think of -a mouse running across hangers?! When I was a kid, I woke up and thought there was a ghost walking in my room but it was just the ceiling fan that started making a rhythmic sound like footsteps.

Yet for some people, an unexplained sound has to be a ghost. Why?

And then there are the instances where multiple people hear/see something, conclude it’s a ghost and then seemingly brush it off. Say a bunch of people hear footsteps or see a person that isn’t supposed to be there. In those cases, why wouldn’t a thorough investigation be made right then and there? Why would you blow off something like that? I would instantly want to know if someone was there and if not, what the hell it was I just saw/heard. It stretches credulity to believe there was no curiosity about something that could have been an intruder or a danger. Like that story about the police and “what girl?” It’s just so unbelievable that people would act like that. If I were the cops, I’d immediately be questioning the person’s sanity while chasing down the person I saw. I certainly wouldn’t stand there dumbstruck. Which leads me to believe that the event didn’t happen that way at all.

Finally, if you want to go the ghost route...it’s a bit ridiculous to attribute unexplained sounds/visions/movements to something completely unproven. All you are really doing is opening up more questions, not answering anything at all.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:54 PM   #360
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I call them ghosts because that is the word closest in definition to what was experienced.

Doesn't that kind of go against your position that ghosts are ill defined or that all of this might need some other word or phrase to designate?

It's okay, by all means believe, or, as in your case, speculate about, the ghost-ly explanation if you wish. I personally believe it's obnoxious to attack others' beliefs as long as they don't try to somehow stick it, directly or indirectly, down others' throats, which you aren't doing. It's, just, far as I can see, your position on this is a wee bit inconsistent.


Quote:
I think within all the sightings and hearings of ghosts, there is a lot of explainable events and then there is a subset which suggests that there is something, ghost like, that very occasionally makes an appearance.

The best example is the story of the people being asked to move out of the room they were sleeping in. When it was the kid who said a lady had asked him to move, clearly that was put down to him being a kid. But when it happened to the adult and he said that at the time, he thought he was with someone else who was staying in the house who he did not know, that was freaky.

Unusual sure, perhaps as you say freaky. But why ghost-ly, why that?

For instance, you mentioned time travelers. That seems as likely, and as unlikely, as ghosts, or aliens, or telepathic hive minds of local bacteria, or anything else. What about ghosts do you find more compelling than other similar outlandish hypotheses?

(Or were you channeling Whatsisname from that movie, Interstellar, the time-and-space-traveling ghost I mean? )


Quote:
The minister and the lady with the book and the police officers, they also thought they were seeing someone alive, who then disappeared.

And they probably believe, or half-believe, or quarter-believe, in ghosts, so they may have thought of ghosts as explanation. But do you, if only a quarter, if only a teeny fraction, more than telepathic dolphins entertaining themselves by messing around with us humans' minds? (It's cool if you do, btw, far as I am concerned. I don't find ghosts more likely than telepathic bacterial hive minds, but I think that's purely subjective, and your subjective take is equally as valid, for you, as mine is for me -- as far as speculation, that is.)

Last edited by Chanakya; 21st September 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.