ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old 14th April 2020, 09:12 AM   #281
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Latest CT on Facebook, Boris was faking his symptoms for political gain. https://dorseteye.com/was-boris-john...tion-contrived
For the record, and now acknowledged in footnotes, that was supposedly satire, but I know at least on person who shared it thinking it was true.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:28 AM   #282
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The UK's mobile networks have reported a further 20 cases of phone masts being targeted in suspected arson attacks over the Easter weekend.

Quote:
Attacks on 5G masts pre-date the coronavirus pandemic. But there are concerns a surge in the amount of vandalism has been caused by conspiracy theories, which falsely claim the deployment of 5G networks has caused or helped accelerate the spread of Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52281315
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:03 AM   #283
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Best Evidence Yet That Coronavirus Came From Wuhan BSL-4 Lab (American Council on Science and Health, April 13, 2020)

About American Council on Science and Health:
Wikipedia
Media Bias/Fact Check
U.S. Right to Know
Source Watch
Mother Jones
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:35 PM   #284
zorro99
Muse

State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini....co/99LfWzrdn6
Old 14th April 2020, 08:42 PM   #285
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini....co/99LfWzrdn6
And what the wrong response was to cooperation with China. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...answer/608911/
Old 14th April 2020, 11:12 PM   #286
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The UK's mobile networks have reported a further 20 cases of phone masts being targeted in suspected arson attacks over the Easter weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52281315
In South Africa we have had towers burned down when they were put up without the proper procedures and authorizations. When people got sick and the legal system failed them, they took action. I seriously considered burning down the tower next to my house, especially when the Telco resorted to blatant perjury which a biased judge decided was acceptable and that he could reject my evidence.

There is pent-up anger because of health issues that are being ignored. I will still list my health symptoms. And when you look at them it is hard to deny that they make a person susceptible to ANY illness and not just Covid. There are cases that are puzzling the doctors. Some are now looking at genetic triggers but no-one will look at electrosmog until it is too late.
Old 15th April 2020, 02:41 AM   #287
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I’m wondering whether 5G might be to blame for my diet not working?
I’ve definitely been eating more Mars bars since they put a new mast up nearby
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:31 AM   #288
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningA number of off topic posts have been split to another thread.

Please keep to the topic of Conspiracy Theories about Covid-19 in this thread.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 01:37 PM   #289
Bubba
Illuminator

This one seems to get taken off when it is posted on FB.

Facts and expert commentary. They seem to think china did it on purpose.

Its 55 min. Can skip to 22:14 for some facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMUCYkFO6M
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 01:47 PM   #290
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
This one seems to get taken off when it is posted on FB.

Facts and expert commentary. They seem to think china did it on purpose.

Its 55 min. Can skip to 22:14 for some facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMUCYkFO6M
I like it, it's very professionally done.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 02:18 PM   #291
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I like it, it's very professionally done.
By Falun Gong. To say they have issues with China is colossal understatement.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:09 PM   #292
Venom
Illuminator

Bill Gates conspiracy theories at an all time high.....for predicting the inevitable. For predicting based on sheer precedent.

What a convincing conspiracy theory.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:05 PM   #293
zorro99
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Bill Gates conspiracy theories at an all time high.....for predicting the inevitable. For predicting based on sheer precedent.

What exactly is the claim about Bill Gates?
Old 15th April 2020, 07:47 PM   #294
Bubba
Illuminator

Quote:
by zorro99 View Post
What exactly is the claim about Bill Gates?
Among other things, Gates is on video saying that in his plan to vaccinate everyone, each person would then need to have some kind of certification showing their status. So that is actually not a claim because he said it on video, sorry.

Some actual claims say he wants to depopulate drastically but that dont make sense really.

Another Gates item (non-claim) -fact- is that he is in trouble in India for harming hundreds of kids with drug or vaccine trials.

Same in Africa. Look it up.

Gates certification of health status reminds me, in China now people in some areas are required to stop at a scanner at edge of town which scans their phone and tells them whether or not they can enter the village or building etc. Seems practical in pandemic.

That was in a report from a chinese speaking american guy living in china, filming the scanning process and interviewing the people.

Last edited by Bubba; 15th April 2020 at 07:55 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 04:03 AM   #295
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Among other things, Gates is on video saying that in his plan to vaccinate everyone, each person would then need to have some kind of certification showing their status. So that is actually not a claim because he said it on video, sorry.
You mean, like a vaccination record? Which is already in use?

That's a perfectly rational position. You need a record to show whether you've been vaccinated or not, at least for your own memory if nothing else. Not to mention that these records are also often used to record things like administration method and the vaccine lot number, so any potential issues can be investigated properly.

Now, is he arguing draconian penalties for not having a certificate, or that you can be stopped and asked for your papers at random? I'm waiting to see the nefarious part of this.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:17 AM   #296
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Now, is he arguing draconian penalties for not having a certificate, or that you can be stopped and asked for your papers at random? I'm waiting to see the nefarious part of this.
I think I see your problem, right here. Don't hold your breath, the gish gallop moves quickly.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:35 AM   #297
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Nothing is more partisan than facts!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 01:49 PM   #298
mike81
Muse

First, I agree that this virus was probably more dangerous in some ways than flu. Especially due to people being asymptomatic for as long as some can be. I don't think Coronavirus is a conspiracy in the way that we normally think of a conspiracy theory. However, I do think the government is taking advantage of our fear and ignorance.

They are sending us money and talking about sending us even more. More than some of us make in a month. In a way bribing us to just sit back and do or not do whatever they say.

They are inflating the number of deaths by counting unconfirmed cases. More people in my state have died from the flu this season than from Coronavirus. I told that to someone today and they said, "That's your opinion." Are people really this ignorant or dare I say stupid? They think everything is just a matter of opinion. It's like they think there is no such thing as facts.

Are we really just going to sit back and take it? How many more rights will we allow to be taken away? They are now saying that it could be seasonal. So now should we go on lock-down every year? Sure take some precautions just like you should during flu season, but enough is enough. This has become beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by mike81; 16th April 2020 at 01:50 PM.
mike81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #299
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mike81 View Post
First, I agree that this virus was probably more dangerous in some ways than flu. Especially due to people being asymptomatic for as long as some can be. I don't think Coronavirus is a conspiracy in the way that we normally think of a conspiracy theory. However, I do think the government is taking advantage of our fear and ignorance.

They are sending us money and talking about sending us even more. More than some of us make in a month. In a way bribing us to just sit back and do or not do whatever they say.

They are inflating the number of deaths by counting unconfirmed cases. More people in my state have died from the flu this season than from Coronavirus. I told that to someone today and they said, "That's your opinion." Are people really this ignorant or dare I say stupid? They think everything is just a matter of opinion. It's like they think there is no such thing as facts.

Are we really just going to sit back and take it? How many more rights will we allow to be taken away? They are now saying that it could be seasonal. So now should we go on lock-down every year? Sure take some precautions just like you should during flu season, but enough is enough. This has become beyond ridiculous.
So another 'just some flu' ? That was sad 2 months ago man.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:43 PM   #300
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
So another 'just some flu' ? That was sad 2 months ago man.
I clearly said that in some ways it was more dangerous than the flu. Try actually reading next time instead of just blowing it off as some conspiracy theory rant.
mike81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 03:15 PM   #301
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Fear? Ignorance? How is the government by the people and for the people taking advantage of death and sickness by virus?

2,000 deaths a day, and the taking advantage is?

You make less than a one time payment of 1200 dollars in a month? And you might not get this money for 5 months, with a signature from clownstick to possible delay the first paper checks ... will his signature make the checks invalid?

No, they are not inflating the numbers, that is a conspiracy theory started by people who failed to read the CDC guidance on this topic of death. An CT due to ignorance and not reading the guidance.

If you read this carefully, it does not say inflate virus deaths...
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

How do you know more died from flu in your state vs virus? It takes weeks and months to get the totals into the CDC.

2000 deaths a day, is less than from the flu?

2000 deaths a day USA, ridiculous? In most years this time of year there are 4,000 pneumonia deaths a week (some related to flu), this past week US has over 10,000 deaths related to the virus, and this is deaths during the past month of being locked down... but I can play games, go for walks, go shopping, I bought a months supply of beer yesterday, a right I have. Even got TP yesterday.

What rights have you lost, or were taken away?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 03:25 PM   #302
eerok
Quixoticist

First of all, what government are you talking about? For example, the US government would much rather pretend covid wasn't even happening, because it makes Trump look bad.

Are they? They're not sending me any money (I'm a Canadian), but I'm not out any money because I still get my pensions. What do you think "they" are bribing you to do, exactly?

They are inflating the number of deaths by counting unconfirmed cases.
No, there are probably far more deaths by covid than are reported. There are also the collateral deaths that have resulted from the overburdening of the health care system.

More people in my state have died from the flu this season than from Coronavirus. I told that to someone today and they said, "That's your opinion." Are people really this ignorant or dare I say stupid? They think everything is just a matter of opinion. It's like they think there is no such thing as facts.
What state are you in and where do you get your facts? I doubt that there are more flu than covid deaths anywhere in the world right now.

What do you think you're being asked to sit down and take? Your US government is absolutely frothing to try to forget this is even happening. Trump wants everything to return back to normal so he can pretend to be awesome again. However, there's a real global disaster going on. I suggest you take a deep breath and realize that things won't be back to normal for a little while yet.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:05 PM   #303
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
Fear? Ignorance? How is the government by the people and for the people taking advantage of death and sickness by virus?

2,000 deaths a day, and the taking advantage is?

You make less than a one time payment of 1200 dollars in a month? And you might not get this money for 5 months, with a signature from clownstick to possible delay the first paper checks ... will his signature make the checks invalid?

No, they are not inflating the numbers, that is a conspiracy theory started by people who failed to read the CDC guidance on this topic of death. An CT due to ignorance and not reading the guidance.

If you read this carefully, it does not say inflate virus deaths...
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

How do you know more died from flu in your state vs virus? It takes weeks and months to get the totals into the CDC.

2000 deaths a day, is less than from the flu?

2000 deaths a day USA, ridiculous? In most years this time of year there are 4,000 pneumonia deaths a week (some related to flu), this past week US has over 10,000 deaths related to the virus, and this is deaths during the past month of being locked down... but I can play games, go for walks, go shopping, I bought a months supply of beer yesterday, a right I have. Even got TP yesterday.

What rights have you lost, or were taken away?
According to a quick search, there have been about the same number of deaths from the Coronavirus as from the flu this season. Like I said, I think this is somewhat worse than the flu. Let's take extra precautions. It doesn't require shutting down.

Yes, many months I make less than $1200 and so do plenty of other people. I've already got my payment and so have plenty of others because we use direct deposit. They are now talking about sending $2000 for 6 months. That is a good bit more than a lot of people make. Minimum wage is only $7.25 here. Even making $12 an hour, like my girlfriend, you only bring home about $1600 a month. So not much more than $1200 and certainly less than the $2000 they are taking about sending. Our income would increase greatly and so would a lot of people's if they send more checks.

We have lost plenty of rights. The right to go out and work and plenty of other things. People are being fined and arrested for not staying at home or gathering in groups. That's ridiculous.

Let me make clear. I cannot stand Trump and I'm no conspiracy theorist. I just think we are taking it a bit far. I'm ok with some of the stuff we have done, but only if it doesn't carry on for months and months or year after year. I also don't think anyone should be arrested, fined, etc for violating a stay at home order or gathering in a group.

Last edited by mike81; 16th April 2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:10 PM   #304
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
First of all, what government are you talking about? For example, the US government would much rather pretend covid wasn't even happening, because it makes Trump look bad.

Are they? They're not sending me any money (I'm a Canadian), but I'm not out any money because I still get my pensions. What do you think "they" are bribing you to do, exactly?

No, there are probably far more deaths by covid than are reported. There are also the collateral deaths that have resulted from the overburdening of the health care system.

What state are you in and where do you get your facts? I doubt that there are more flu than covid deaths anywhere in the world right now.

What do you think you're being asked to sit down and take? Your US government is absolutely frothing to try to forget this is even happening. Trump wants everything to return back to normal so he can pretend to be awesome again. However, there's a real global disaster going on. I suggest you take a deep breath and realize that things won't be back to normal for a little while yet.
I'm talking about the US government.

They may not be "bribing" us, but them sending more money than most of us make is certainly good incentive to just do as we are told and stay home.

There are also probably more deaths from flu than reported.

We are being told to just stay home, not work, and plenty other things. Hell families are scared to get together for fear someone will get sick. If everyone in the family has been at home for weeks, then how the hell is anyone going to catch Coronavirus by getting together for a holiday?
Old 16th April 2020, 04:14 PM   #305
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I clearly said that in some ways it was more dangerous than the flu. Try actually reading next time instead of just blowing it off as some conspiracy theory rant.
I don't think it's conspiracy theory. It's just ignorance. You can't die from that. Oh wait, you can. Never mind.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:41 PM   #306
Axxman300
Illuminator

If you don't test people for the virus you get low numbers. The US is not, has not, and at this moment - will not be testing the population in any meaningful level. Based on the numbers that WE DO HAVE, COVID-19 is one mean MoFo. You can't inflate numbers that you don't have. You can add to those numbers by testing, and this is being done in many states by official entities, and by universities.

It should be obvious by now that there is no central coordination in the US response to this pandemic.

Are people taking advantage of the conditions we find ourselves in right now? Yes.

Have our elected governing bodies taken advantage of the situation? Yes.

Should we be surprised? Nope.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:16 PM   #307
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
If you don't test people for the virus you get low numbers. The US is not, has not, and at this moment - will not be testing the population in any meaningful level. Based on the numbers that WE DO HAVE, COVID-19 is one mean MoFo. You can't inflate numbers that you don't have. You can add to those numbers by testing, and this is being done in many states by official entities, and by universities.
I agree there are probably many more that have it, they just have not been tested. Just like not everyone who gets the flu gets tested.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Are people taking advantage of the conditions we find ourselves in right now? Yes.

Have our elected governing bodies taken advantage of the situation? Yes.

Should we be surprised? Nope.
That is really my main point. At what point do we say that we have had enough being taken advantage of? Where is that line? I say we are pretty close to crossing it or maybe even crossed it already. After 9/11, the TSA was formed in the name of public safety. Well, there are many times the TSA too far with their "safety" measures. I guess we are just going to sit back and let it go too far again all because of fear of the unknown.

I bet people would be just as scared of flu if it was reported on everyday. I've had people tell me that nobody dies from the flu. They were shocked to hear that thousands a year die form flu in the USA. People clearly are being scared due to their ignorance.

Last edited by mike81; 16th April 2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:24 PM   #308
eerok
Quixoticist

That is really my main point. At what point do we say that we have had enough being taken advantage of? Where is that line? I say we are pretty close to crossing it or maybe even crossed it already. After 9/11, the TSA was formed in the name of public safety. Well, there are many times the TSA too far with their "safety" measures. I guess we are just going to sit back and let it go too far again all because of fear of the unknown.
I don't understand what you mean by "being taken advantage of". Like I said, the White House would far rather this thing just go away with no further consequence.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:35 PM   #309
mike81
Muse

I don't understand what you mean by "being taken advantage of". Like I said, the White House would far rather this thing just go away with no further consequence.
Maybe "taken advantage of" are not the exact right words, but when you are fined for not staying home, that generates money for the government. So call it what you want, but clearly the government gains something from it. Yes, Trump may want to just make it go away, but that doesn't mean that in the mean time they won't use it to their advantage.

Last edited by mike81; 16th April 2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:43 PM   #310
eerok
Quixoticist

Maybe "taken advantage of" are not the exact right words, but when you are fined for not staying home, that generates money for the government. So call it what you want, but clearly the government gains something from it. Yes, Trump may want to just make it go away, but that doesn't mean that in the mean time they won't use it to their advantage.
Or maybe they're serious and they want to stop a deadly contagious disease from spreading. I admit that I don't give Trump a lot of credit -- in fact I think he's an idiot -- but it's not a good thing to just let people die, and I think this is the larger part of what's happening. I don't think it's a big plot to seize control of people's lives -- I think it's a move to stop a disease that's a disaster for everyone.
Old 16th April 2020, 06:41 PM   #311
mike81
Muse

So I guess this is ok too? After all it's in the name of public health.

https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/judge-co...k-coronavirus/

Throw people in jail if they are suspected of having the virus. Ridiculous.
Old 16th April 2020, 06:46 PM   #312
eerok
Quixoticist

So I guess this is ok too? After all it's in the name of public health.

https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/judge-co...k-coronavirus/

Throw people in jail if they are suspected of having the virus. Ridiculous.
That's not a reliable source for news.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-net-daily-wnd/

Their nickname around here is Wingnut Daily. I really wouldn't take them seriously.
Old 16th April 2020, 06:46 PM   #313
mike81
Muse

That's not a reliable source for news.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-net-daily-wnd/

Their nickname around here is Wingnut Daily. I really wouldn't take them seriously.
Admittedly, I don't know much about the source. So if it's inaccurate, then I apologize.
Old 16th April 2020, 06:48 PM   #314
eerok
Quixoticist

Admittedly, I don't know much about the source. So if it's inaccurate, then I apologize.
No apology is necessary. Just for your own sake be aware that there's a lot of BS on the internet. That site I quoted, mediabiasfactcheck.com, can help you out in this regard.

Last edited by eerok; 16th April 2020 at 06:49 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 06:49 PM   #315
mike81
Muse

No apology is necessary. Just for your own sake be aware that there's a lot of BS on the internet.
I'm well aware of that
Old 16th April 2020, 06:54 PM   #316
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

According to a quick search, there have been about the same number of deaths from the Coronavirus as from the flu this season. Like I said, I think this is somewhat worse than the flu. Let's take extra precautions. It doesn't require shutting down.
Oh, a quick search? Nope, there are more virus deaths than the flu, your search failed. With over 1,000 to 2,000 deaths a day from the virus while under stay at home rules for some, that is much more than the flu - your search failed. At the peak of the flu last year (1018-2019) there were less than 600 flu deaths a week, 600/week flu, the virus deaths this past week is more than 10,000/week.

Quick search fail by over an order of magnitude, big fail. What was your source with the bogus numbers?

You claimed they are inflating the numbers, implied it was on purpose, and that was false, a conspiracy theory =- did you find that in a quick search.

Yes, many months I make less than $1200 ...
and think it is a bribe to stay home?

We have lost plenty of rights. The right to go out and work and plenty of other things. People are being fined and arrested for not staying at home or gathering in groups. That's ridiculous.
You don't believe in protecting others... great stuff, -
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:00 PM   #317
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
Oh, a quick search? Nope, there are more virus deaths than the flu, your search failed. With over 1,000 to 2,000 deaths a day from the virus while under stay at home rules for some, that is much more than the flu - your search failed. At the peak of the flu last year (1018-2019) there were less than 600 flu deaths a week, 600/week flu, the virus deaths this past week is more than 10,000/week.

Quick search fail by over an order of magnitude, big fail. What was your source with the bogus numbers?

You claimed they are inflating the numbers, implied it was on purpose, and that was false, a conspiracy theory =- did you find that in a quick search.

and think it is a bribe to stay home?

You don't believe in protecting others... great stuff, -
You clearly have not read what I wrote. According to the CDC website there are around 30,000 deaths this season from flu in the USA. That is about the same number as reported deaths from Coronavirus. Are you saying the CDC is an inaccurate source?

Did you not see where $1,200 a month is more than a lot of people make and they are thinking of sending $2,000 a month?

I do not think they are intentionally trying to mislead us with the numbers. I do believe that they should not be counting some of the deaths as death by coronovirus. This makes it seem worse than it is. Especially when a lot of people think the flu doesn't kill anyone.

I also said that we should take precautions.

So instead of just reacting to me like I'm some conspiracy theorist you should read what I wrote.

Last edited by mike81; 16th April 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 16th April 2020, 07:14 PM   #318
eerok
Quixoticist

You clearly have not read what I wrote. According to the CDC website there are around 30,000 deaths this season from flu. That is about the same number as reported deaths from Coronavirus. Are you saying the CDC is an inaccurate source?
From the CDC:

Quote:
Note: The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting healthcare seeking behavior. The number of persons and their reasons for seeking care in the outpatient and ED settings is changing. These changes impact data from ILINet in ways that are difficult to differentiate from changes in illness levels, therefore ILINet data should be interpreted with caution.
So apparently it's not always easy to differentiate flu from covid. In any case, the presence of flu doesn't mean that covid is less of a crisis.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Did you not see where $1,200 a month is more than a lot of people make and they are thinking of sending $2,000 a month?
Most people make more than that. I don't see your problem if the gov sends you money to live on during a crisis. It's in their best interest for you to stay at home. Really, what's the problem?
Old 16th April 2020, 07:18 PM   #319
mike81
Muse

From the CDC:

So apparently it's not always easy to differentiate flu from covid. In any case, the presence of flu doesn't mean that covid is less of a crisis.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Most people make more than that. I don't see your problem if the gov sends you money to live on during a crisis. It's in their best interest for you to stay at home. Really, what's the problem?
I guess you and I just disagree on how far is too far. That's fine.
Old 16th April 2020, 07:39 PM   #320
eerok
Quixoticist

I guess you and I just disagree on how far is too far. That's fine.
What's not fine is that you haven't supported any of your claims. Does that mean that you now withdraw them?

For example, you said that your government
  • is taking advantage of [your] fear and ignorance
  • is bribing [you] to just sit back and do or not do whatever they say
  • is inflating the number of deaths by counting unconfirmed cases
So do you think that the American government is wrecking the economy just to piss you off? I really don't get it. Perhaps you can explain it more clearly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories