ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , healing

Old 8th April 2020, 07:36 AM   #161
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Israel health minister, who claimed Covid-19 is a divine punishment for homosexuality, tests positive for Covid-19...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...19/ar-BB12goRL
Does that mean he's homosexual?
Old 8th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #162
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
It ain't necessarily so. The Guy in the Sky is not infallible. Reminds me of this joke:

Quote:
There is a guy who is playing golf with a priest. While they are on the 10th green the guy misses a three foot putt and says, "God dammit, I missed." The priest tells him not to use vulgar language on the golf course. Then on the next hole the guy misses a two foot putt and says again, "God dammit, I missed." The priest tells him that if he continues to use vulgar language on the golf course, he will have God strike him down with lightning and kill him.

Then on the next hole he misses a one foot putt and says, "God dammit, I missed." All of a sudden a tremendous bolt of lightning comes down and kills the priest! Immediately after, a voice comes out of the clouds and says, "God dammit, I missed."
Old 8th April 2020, 08:36 PM   #163
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hope this guy meets his "friend" real soon

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ices-says-true

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 12:27 AM   #164
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I hope this guy meets his "friend" real soon
I'd go along with that.

I love this bit:

Quote:
“If it [virtual services] did work, why has America spent billions and billions building churches?” Spell asked
Easy answer to that - he hasn't read the bible, which specifically states you shouldn't waste money building churches.
Old 9th April 2020, 01:07 AM   #165
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert:
This Year, Consider Praying From Home (April 7, 2020)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(You could also consider not praying at all - now would be a good time to give up old habits - but if you absolutely have to ...)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 01:47 AM   #166
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I don't detect a gleeful smirk on your face do I catsmate?
Not particularly. I would have preferred they, and their congregants, to be less stupid but one cannot expect fully rational behavior from the mentally ill.

The local and state authorities that didn't intervene deserve our ire.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 01:50 AM   #167
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
You know that story was made up?
Yes I did. But religion is all about emulating acts that never actually happened.

Israel health minister, who claimed Covid-19 is a divine punishment for homosexuality, tests positive for Covid-19...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...19/ar-BB12goRL
Isn't that the second such case? I'm sure I remember a similar infection of someone who condemned Covid-19 as their god's odium.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 01:52 AM   #168
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
In the vein of Haggard, Craig, Foley et al? Quite possibly.
Old 9th April 2020, 11:06 AM   #169
Steve
Philosopher

I'd go along with that.

I love this bit:

Easy answer to that - he hasn't read the bible, which specifically states you shouldn't waste money building churches.
It could also have something to do with the fact that (almost?) all of those churches were built before virtual services had become possible.
Old 9th April 2020, 12:51 PM   #170
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It could also have something to do with the fact that (almost?) all of those churches were built before virtual services had become possible.
The bible was written ~1800 years ago - I'm certain all of America's churches were built after 200 CE.
Old 9th April 2020, 02:24 PM   #171
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/louis...xQ4IE-BMZkqiYO

Quote:
An evangelical pastor who is refusing to abide by Louisiana’s ban on large public gatherings and continuing to hold in-person church services suggested his parishioners would not mind dying for their faith. "The Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies as to be present with the Lord,” said Spell, a Pentecostal preacher. “Like any zealot or like any pure religious person, death looks to them like a welcome friend. True Christians do not mind dying. They fear living in fear."
I'd be fine with this if the idiots didn't take out others with them.

Love thy neighbor? Kill em all and let god sort it out. **** you Pell.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 03:03 PM   #172
Steve
Philosopher

The bible was written ~1800 years ago - I'm certain all of America's churches were built after 200 CE.
I agree with this but I have no idea why you wrote it in response to my post.
Old 9th April 2020, 07:02 PM   #173
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Right. Of course, this verse may have been referring to stoners.

“Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as sayeth the prophet.”

https://biblehub.com/kjv/acts/7-48.htm
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 09:58 PM   #174
Thor 2
Philosopher

I don't detect a gleeful smirk on your face do I catsmate?
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Not particularly. I would have preferred they, and their congregants, to be less stupid but one cannot expect fully rational behavior from the mentally ill.

The local and state authorities that didn't intervene deserve our ire.

This was intended as a jibe at dann who has a keen eye for detecting gleefulness.
Old 10th April 2020, 01:16 PM   #175
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Isn't that the second such case? I'm sure I remember a similar infection of someone who condemned Covid-19 as their god's odium.
Were you thinking of this, from earlier in the thread?
Pastor who claimed COVID 19 was a hoax dies of it.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...ies-from-virus
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 08:51 AM   #176
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Social distancing at the Vatican today:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 09:10 AM   #177
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Photos from around the world: Præster med mobiler og stor afstand på kirkebænken: Se billederne af påske midt i pandemien (DR.dk, April 12, 2020)
Old 12th April 2020, 10:45 AM   #178
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Any reports of right-wing churches definently holding services yet?
Old 13th April 2020, 05:55 AM   #179
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Any reports of right-wing churches definently holding services yet?
A church in Kansas held two services yesterday. A third was scheduled but that was canceled. It was clear to the reporter at the time why the third service didn't go on.
Old 13th April 2020, 06:33 AM   #180
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Meanwhile, mainstream churches in the UK follow the government guidelines. My mum's church has been having services via video link, and the C of E churches are closed too.
P1170543.jpg by zooterkin, on Flickr

P1170542.jpg by zooterkin, on Flickr
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 03:05 AM   #181
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Humanist Report, April 11, 2020:
Right-Wing Religious Nutjobs Are Going to Spread COVID-19 to Everyone Unless We Stop Them (17:03 min)
I AGREE
Old 15th April 2020, 02:56 PM   #182
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The Humanist Report, April 11, 2020:
Right-Wing Religious Nutjobs Are Going to Spread COVID-19 to Everyone Unless We Stop Them (17:03 min)
I AGREE

Scary stuff indeed.

There is no chance you can talk these kind of religious nut jobs out of their convictions. Even if the evangelist preacher was struck down with the virus, while at full throttle during the service, you will only hear words like : "It was God's will and He must have purpose in doing this." or more specifically "God needed him in Heaven to do stuff."

I've had first hand experience of just this kind of reasoning, when my very devout brother was struck down with cancer at the age of 55. In spite of all the prayer sessions his family and friends conducted to no avail. When he died anyway it was God's will ...... praise Jesus!

Last edited by Thor 2; 15th April 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 01:11 PM   #183
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If the Trumptrash going to these services get the virus and die I don't really care; in fact if it happened in a swing state I'd be giddy. However, I note that zoonotic transmission is possible so a Trump supporter might be able to give it to a human.
Old 16th April 2020, 01:24 PM   #184
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If the Trumptrash going to these services get the virus and die I don't really care; in fact if it happened in a swing state I'd be giddy. However, I note that zoonotic transmission is possible so a Trump supporter might be able to give it to a human.

Put on a mask, go outside for a walk or something. This isn’t emotionally healthy.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 01:47 PM   #185
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Put on a mask, go outside for a walk or something. This isn’t emotionally healthy.
With all credit to the screen writers of "Red Dawn", the hate keeps me warm, gives me purpose.
Old 16th April 2020, 01:54 PM   #186
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Haha! That is very nicely said.

Here - watch this to restore a tiny bit of faith in those with faith, or at least, put a smile on your face.

https://fox4kc.com/news/local-pastor...nds-worldwide/
Old 16th April 2020, 03:05 PM   #187
Thor 2
Philosopher

God has a sense of humour!

Oh my, is there anything so stupid a preacher will not say it? Thanks for the link The Atheist.
Old 16th April 2020, 11:54 PM   #188
dann
Penultimate Amazing

It does seem to be a Trump thing, doesn't it? The rightwing Christian preachers in deep denial over Covid-19's danger (Guardian, April 4, 2020)
Are there any examples of U.S. churches critical of Trump and/or of right-wing Republicanism that are also in denial about the virus?
Old 18th April 2020, 01:35 PM   #189
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ks-evangelists

Quote:
A Louisiana pastor who has drawn criticism for holding in-person church services despite coronavirus guidelines is asking people to donate their stimulus checks to evangelists who “haven’t had an offering in a month.”

In a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday, the Rev. Tony Spell called on the public to get behind a new online challenge he is dubbing the #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge.

There are three rules to the challenge, Spell said in the video. The first rule is that it starts on Sunday. The second, he said, is for people to “donate your stimulus money.”

“Rule number three,” he continued, is to “donate it to evangelists, North American evangelists who haven’t had an offering in a month; missionaries, who haven’t had an offering in a month; music ministers, who haven’t had an offering in a month.”
People will do this. And it this really just one rule?

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 03:04 PM   #190
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's beautiful!
Old 18th April 2020, 03:24 PM   #191
Thor 2
Philosopher

Really chokes me up it does. To think of all those good people donating their stimulus checks to an evangelist, so he won't have to sell one of his jets to make ends meet.
Old 18th April 2020, 05:47 PM   #192
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Really chokes me up it does. To think of all those good people donating their stimulus checks to an evangelist, so he won't have to sell one of his jets to make ends meet.
If you look at it logically, televangelists are actually the hardest atheists in existence. They do know their bibles, and I know that factually, because of the way they cherry-pick it.

Knowing the bible, you'd be fully aware that the sky-fairy's not going to like you scamming people in his name, so you'd need to be very sure the god is all bull.
Old 19th April 2020, 01:10 PM   #193
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

If you look at it logically, televangelists are actually the hardest atheists in existence. They do know their bibles, and I know that factually, because of the way they cherry-pick it.

Knowing the bible, you'd be fully aware that the sky-fairy's not going to like you scamming people in his name, so you'd need to be very sure the god is all bull.
Yes. Here's one cherry they never pick: (Matt 6:5)

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen."
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2020, 02:22 PM   #194
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen."
That's the one I mean.

I blame Saulus 100%. Without that drugged-up loser, Aquinas would never have been able to write his puddle of puke known as Summa Theologica and the Roman and other chuirches would be completely different beasts.

The most ironic thing of all, to me, is that they call it Christianity then ignore almost every word their alleged son of the sky-fairy the did or said.
Old 19th April 2020, 02:51 PM   #195
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ks-evangelists

People will do this. And it this really just one rule?
Same guy now has a church member dead of Covid-19 and the lawyer who was defending his services is hospitalized with it. But he claims its a lie.
Old 19th April 2020, 06:28 PM   #196
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Same guy now has a church member dead of Covid-19 and the lawyer who was defending his services is hospitalized with it. But he claims its a lie.
Quote:
Wittenbrink (the pastor) had made numerous Facebook posts criticizing Louisiana’s lockdown restrictions and defending Spell’s right to continue holding large services. “Will the government stop the virus? Or will God stop the virus? Jesus healed the sick. Mother Teresa and countless saints have attended the sick. We are quarantining the healthy,” he wrote in one post.
The fraudulent "Mother" Teresa may "have attended the sick" but I strongly doubt that anyone in her Houses of Dying did anything but die.
Old 19th April 2020, 06:46 PM   #197
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
The fraudulent "Mother" Teresa may "have attended the sick" but I strongly doubt that anyone in her Houses of Dying did anything but die.
Nicely put. I'm enraged every time that filthy murderous whore's name is mentioned as an example of good works.
Old 20th April 2020, 01:10 PM   #198
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nicely put. I'm enraged every time that filthy murderous whore's name is mentioned as an example of good works.

Have you read the correspondence she had with her spiritual advisors and so on? It made me even more sickened about her so called “good works”. When she was telling people dying in pain that they should be thankful of their suffering as it was a blessing from god she was doubting he even existed! One can at least understand someone who has “drank the koolaid” doing cruel and terrible things because they sincerely believe in what they are doing but this monster didn’t even believe in the crap that was coming out her own mouth.
Old 20th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #199
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post

Easy to see why this instruction of Matthew's wasn't promoted by by the churches: No money in it. Can't have folk just praying alone in their own rooms: How are you going to get the collection plate in there?
Old 20th April 2020, 04:39 PM   #200
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
One can at least understand someone who has “drank the koolaid” doing cruel and terrible things because they sincerely believe in what they are doing but this monster didn’t even believe in the crap that was coming out her own mouth.
Absolutely correct.

Here's another mass-murder-to-happen:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b635d25d6ec824

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy