ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jay Inslee , protest incidents , Seattle incidents , Seattle issues

Old 11th June 2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Anarchy in Seattle--Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone

Seattle has apparently ceded control of part of the city, now called the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) to the protestors.

The NY Times was rapturous:

Quote:
What has emerged is an experiment in life without the police — part street festival, part commune. Hundreds have gathered to hear speeches, poetry and music. On Tuesday night, dozens of people sat in the middle of an intersection to watch “13th,” the Ava DuVernay film about the criminal justice system’s impact on African-Americans. On Wednesday, children made chalk drawings in the middle of the street.
City Journal was notably less glowing in their coverage:

Quote:
On the new rebel state’s first night, the atmosphere was festive and triumphant. Hooded men spray-painted the police station with slogans and anarchist symbols, renaming it the “Seattle People’s Department East Precinct.” Raz Simone, a local rapper with an AK-47 slung from his shoulder and a pistol attached to his hip, screamed, “This is war!” into a white-and-red megaphone and instructed armed paramilitaries to guard the barricades in shifts. Later in the night, Simone was filmed allegedly assaulting multiple protestors who disobeyed his orders, informing them that he was the "police" now, sparking fears that he was becoming the de facto warlord of the autonomous zone. A homeless man with a baseball bat wandered along the borderline and two unofficial medics in medieval-style chain mail stood ready for action.
Well, nature abhors a vacuum.

It's all kind of amusing to watch from afar, but let's remember that Seattle has effectively ceded control over thousands of peoples' lives and property to the mob. And I have the slightest bit of doubt that Raz Simone will prove more accountable to the people than the police have been.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:11 AM   #2
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds pretty fun
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:13 AM   #3
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Right wing rags are now trying to spin this story about Raz anointing himself some sort of warlord god-king of the CHAZ. There is video of him and his goons beating people, but other reporting from people on the ground in the CHAZ dispute that Raz is wielding any police/military authority.

It's worth pointing out that much less violence has occurred in the CHAZ than on the streets where the cops are shooting gas and grenades at peaceful demonstrators. The day before the police vacated the area, they stopped a woman's heart with a stun grenade and shot non-lethal rounds at the medics that saved her life. I see zero reports of people in the CHAZ being tear gassed since the cops left.

Should be a nice little holiday from police violence for these people who have been suffering over a week of violent suppression from the Seattle Police.

Reports from the police about the CHAZ should not be taken at face value.

Look upon the face of anarchy. The horror!

https://twitter.com/Papa_Cody/status...42039228608516

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th June 2020 at 09:16 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I feel certain it will all turn out great, just like Mogadishu.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Don't worry, the police will be back in, blinding people, spraying teargas, pushing old men down onto pavement. maybe you'll be lucky, and a police officer can put a knee on someones neck, ending their life! I know that would make you happy!

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:30 AM   #6
crescent
Illuminator

Or Bunkerville, or Malheur. Except those places had more guns.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:30 AM   #7
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe they can create a little version of Freetown ChristianaWP there?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:34 AM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Don't worry, the police will be back in, blinding people, spraying teargas, pushing old men down onto pavement. maybe you'll be lucky, and a police officer can put a knee on someones neck, ending their life! I know that would make you happy!
Meet the new knee,
Same as the old knee!
Old 11th June 2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Meet the new knee,
Same as the old knee!
No worries, I get it. You really don't care about violence and death. But it seems to warm your heart when non people, aka libs, get hurt.

I have no faith that this 'autonomous zone' will last, but at least I'm not hoping that the police will come in and kill everyone.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

By "ceding control" of course is meant that city officials have decided not to have police forcefully clear out the protesters, and the business about an "Autonomous Zone" is just something made up by some of the protesters.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
By "ceding control" of course is meant that city officials have decided not to have police forcefully clear out the protesters, and the business about an "Autonomous Zone" is just something made up by some of the protesters.
The City and the police have 'ceded' control due to the excessive police violence.

The violence will likely return, in one form or another.

Old 11th June 2020, 10:07 AM   #12
Distracted1
Illuminator

Seems like fun.
Just the kind of stupid **** I would have gotten myself into 35 years ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8WCKmVLN8
Old 11th June 2020, 10:15 AM   #13
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Right wing rags are now trying to spin this story about Raz anointing himself some sort of warlord god-king of the CHAZ. There is video of him and his goons beating people, but other reporting from people on the ground in the CHAZ dispute that Raz is wielding any police/military authority.

It's worth pointing out that much less violence has occurred in the CHAZ than on the streets where the cops are shooting gas and grenades at peaceful demonstrators. The day before the police vacated the area, they stopped a woman's heart with a stun grenade and shot non-lethal rounds at the medics that saved her life. I see zero reports of people in the CHAZ being tear gassed since the cops left.
Considering that BLM and other nonviolent activist groups have done a vastly better job of preventing looting, arson, and so forth than the police in many of these situations (because they're locals who actually care, while cops are outsiders that often use the old "animals are running wild!" narrative to get more funding for buildings and paramilitary toys, usually at the community's expense), I could easily believe that.

And yeah, I've seen a handful of videos of the usual street fight you can find on any random day on numerous websites, but nobody with an AK-47 of all the nonsense. I did see names like Andy Ngo and Glenn Beck prominently featured prominently, though - two people with no credibility whatsoever. Nothing yet from nuts like Alex Jones or that Crowder buffoon, though.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 10:26 AM   #14
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

If I knew how to post the emoticon of that little guy eating popcorn, I'd do it here.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:48 AM   #15
caveman1917
Philosopher

Exarchia everywhere!
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:03 AM   #16
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
If I knew how to post the emoticon of that little guy eating popcorn, I'd do it here.
Here you go...

Old 11th June 2020, 11:17 AM   #17
caveman1917
Philosopher

Fascinating.
Originally Posted by Trump
Radical Left Governor @JayInslee and the Mayor of Seattle are being taunted and played at a level that our great Country has never seen before. Take back your city NOW. If you don’t do it, I will. This is not a game. These ugly Anarchists must be stopped IMMEDIATELY. MOVE FAST!
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #18
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Nice strawman! Go for the throat! Oh, sorry, some cops already did that?
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:48 AM   #19
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Perhaps Bunker Boy will call in the Army to crack heads? I'd like to see them refuse to go there, and leave him curled up in the corner crying for his mommy.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:56 AM   #20
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Maybe they can create a little version of Freetown ChristianaWP there?

I wouldn't recommend it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 12:10 PM   #21
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Perhaps Bunker Boy will call in the Army to crack heads? I'd like to see them refuse to go there, and leave him curled up in the corner crying for his mommy.
There seems to be a tradition not to refuse to go crack heads though. Heck, there even seems to be a tradition to go halfway across the world to go crack random people's heads.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Coming up: Battle in Seattle 2: Whenever You're Done Boogaloo

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 12:36 PM   #23
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Seattle has apparently ceded control of part of the city, now called the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) to the protestors.

The NY Times was rapturous:

City Journal was notably less glowing in their coverage:

Well, nature abhors a vacuum.

It's all kind of amusing to watch from afar, but let's remember that Seattle has effectively ceded control over thousands of peoples' lives and property to the mob. And I have the slightest bit of doubt that Raz Simone will prove more accountable to the people than the police have been.
Now is their chance to prove that racism-free community leaders can form a racism-free zone within major cities where POC can finally feel safe from the oppressive forces of laws and regulations.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 01:14 PM   #24
portlandatheist
Illuminator

They can do what Antifa LARPers like to do in Portland: Stop traffic and needlessly order them around in order to fulfill their fantasies of being a traffic cop.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 01:48 PM   #25
deadrose
Illuminator

It's hilarious to read all these reports of the rampant violence and insanity in the CHAZ (Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone). You know what they've done? They've cleaned up, opened a clinic and a co-op food stand and invited a hot dog seller to vend on the street. They've arranged with the city for sanitation services. They've had movies and concerts and (of course) a lot of speeches. They've set up an outdoor smoking zone so that people who don't like or are sensitive to the smoke can avoid it. And yes, they have a night patrol to protect residents from a surprise attack from police, Proud Boys, or right-wing militias.

They haven't set up any Checkpoint Charlie, they haven't shaken down businesses for protection money, it really is much closer to Freetown Christiania than it is Mogadishu.
They've also made it clear to people that they don't want to damage the building - most want to make it into a community center - so all the police commentary about how horrible it would be if somebody burned down an old wood-framed building with inadequate fire suppression seem to be for naught.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 01:53 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I awake this morning to the aftermath. The police chief is washing her hands of it, saying she was against the decision to pull the police out and blaming the mayor.

It has echoes of Haight-Ashbury. Starts out with the flower children peace and love, free food, free clothes, we can all get along. Ends up with the drug users shooting up on the corner.

There have been [apparently questionable] claims of armed intruders asking people for payments lest their stores be ravaged and asking people for their IDs to assure they live in the area. This has nothing to do with the BLM movement. It has to do with the usual human condition of a few people moving in to take advantage of the unmitigated chaos.

Revised based on deadrose's post. I am inclined to believe the majority of the protesters were and are indeed not involved in all the bad stuff the news media likes because it sells their news commodity.

It appears we are still in the flower-children phase.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th June 2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Revised to include new information.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 01:57 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
It's hilarious to read all these reports of the rampant violence and insanity in the CHAZ (Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone). You know what they've done? They've cleaned up, opened a clinic and a co-op food stand and invited a hot dog seller to vend on the street. They've arranged with the city for sanitation services. They've had movies and concerts and (of course) a lot of speeches. They've set up an outdoor smoking zone so that people who don't like or are sensitive to the smoke can avoid it. And yes, they have a night patrol to protect residents from a surprise attack from police, Proud Boys, or right-wing militias.

They haven't set up any Checkpoint Charlie, they haven't shaken down businesses for protection money, it really is much closer to Freetown Christiania than it is Mogadishu.
They've also made it clear to people that they don't want to damage the building - most want to make it into a community center - so all the police commentary about how horrible it would be if somebody burned down an old wood-framed building with inadequate fire suppression seem to be for naught.
Hmmm, I'm happy to hear this. The news this morning was more dire.

Who trashed the police station? Or did that not happen?
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 02:04 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This however is ludicrous:

ABC News: Trump warns he'll 'take back' Seattle after protesters claim 'autonomous zone' surrounding police station

It's a couple of blocks on one street. And he thinks it's "Seattle".

Quote:
Inslee tweeted Thursday that state officials will not allow threats of military violence from the White House.

"The U.S. military serves to protect Americans, not the fragility of an insecure president," Inslee tweeted.

Space Force.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th June 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11th June 2020, 02:19 PM   #29
deadrose
Illuminator

Here is an open-to-all Facebook album of photos taken yesterday. Sorry it involves FB but you shouldn't need an account to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hopefully that pleases everyone. The link is described properly, and people can also see the URL so they know where they're headed. Sure does look dangerous!
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 02:35 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here is an open-to-all Facebook album of photos taken yesterday. Sorry it involves FB but you shouldn't need an account to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hopefully that pleases everyone. The link is described properly, and people can also see the URL so they know where they're headed. Sure does look dangerous!
FB is cool. I don't post on mine but I have an account to keep up with my cousins, brother, and a couple friends who do.

Thanks.

Space Force.
Old 11th June 2020, 03:04 PM   #31
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Somebody found a video of some amateur rapper beating someone up, and the official conservative line is now literally that this guy is an actual warlord who rules the "autonomous zone".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 03:14 PM   #32
Arcade22
Philosopher

So there's lots of drug dealers there? What about bikers? Have they moved in yet or are they on their way to set up shop?

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 03:25 PM   #33
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Did Trump threatened to invade Seattle?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 03:30 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Did Trump threatened to invade Seattle?
Apparently the impetuous toddler is stamping his foot.

Space Force.
Old 11th June 2020, 03:38 PM   #35
Tony99
Muse

Or maybe just like the Common Ground Collective that formed in New Orleans after Katrina due to the failure of local and federal agencies to 'fix' anything.

Hopefully CHAZ won't be infiltrated and ruined by FBI agents like the CGC
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 03:45 PM   #36
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Armed patrol makes a lot of sense. Anyone familiar with the Seattle-Portland scene knows that armed, belligerent Proud Boys and/or Patriot Prayer types are a very real threat at any protest involving leftists. At best, the police won't lift a finger to stop this right wing violence, at worst, they will collaborate with these types.
Old 11th June 2020, 03:49 PM   #37
crescent
Illuminator

Looking this up on twitter:

Lots of disinformation running around, Seems like a lot of right wingers are having meltdowns over this. Wanting to send in the military and such.

On scene, it seems peaceful. Contrary to the misinformation campaign, they have not run out of snacks, have not had food stores emptied by homeless people.

Conservatives: “terrorists are destroying Seattle! City is in ruins!”

Seattle terrorists “u look tired here’s a burrito. Im gonna paint a mural and pick up trash later if u wanna help”
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 04:05 PM   #38
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
So there's lots of drug dealers there? What about bikers? Have they moved in yet or are they on their way to set up shop?
What would they need dealers for, cannabis is legal here

I doubt the bikers would be willing to live in tents and leave their bikes out in the rain, much less enjoying the collective lifestyle. Seriously, I have friends going down there and reporting back that it's far calmer and more peaceful than the regular street festivals and block parties that take place every year.
Old 11th June 2020, 04:10 PM   #39
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Looking this up on twitter:

Lots of disinformation running around, Seems like a lot of right wingers are having meltdowns over this. Wanting to send in the military and such.

On scene, it seems peaceful. Contrary to the misinformation campaign, they have not run out of snacks, have not had food stores emptied by homeless people.

Conservatives: “terrorists are destroying Seattle! City is in ruins!”

Seattle terrorists “u look tired here’s a burrito. Im gonna paint a mural and pick up trash later if u wanna help”
I had to laugh at the Police Chief's latest speech. She repeated all the bits about ID, protection money, armed patrols and everything, adding only the disclaimer "People are saying..." Then she asked for anyone experiencing this to contact the police.

In other words, they have no actual incidents, just hearsay, but they'll make sure the rumors are repeated on camera.
Old 11th June 2020, 04:35 PM   #40
crescent
Illuminator

I had to laugh at the Police Chief's latest speech. She repeated all the bits about ID, protection money, armed patrols and everything, adding only the disclaimer "People are saying..." Then she asked for anyone experiencing this to contact the police.

In other words, they have no actual incidents, just hearsay, but they'll make sure the rumors are repeated on camera.
No footage of any armed checkpoints, no interviews with extorted shop owners.

In truth, I am pretty pessimistic about the long-term viability of this. With careful management of the group dynamics, they might be able to stretch it out for a few months, like the Occupy movement all over again. It might fizzle out before then, or run into issues like too much hard drugs, or sanitation issues.

But for now, the worst reportage from the right certainly appears to be mindless hyperbole, at best. Deliberate misinformation at worst.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events