ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

The Wolfram Physics Project

Apparently he has a project where he looks at all the possible computable
universes and selects the one model that matches ours. Not sure though.

Here's the short summary.
Old 16th April 2020, 01:25 AM   #2
Cheetah
Master Poster

That's really cool.
Haven't read the links yet, but I've been hoping he does something like this ever since I read about his ideas on SpaceTime as a network about 5 years ago.
He has a different approach and apparently has managed to derive both GR and SR from first principles using evolving networks with only nodes and connections, SpaceTime being an emergent property of the evolving network.

Last edited by Cheetah; 16th April 2020 at 01:27 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:06 AM   #3
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

A bit of background from Wired - https://www.wired.com/story/stephen-...solve-physics/
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 03:33 AM   #4
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I was saying in another thread that there are some cases where it is not possible to determine if something is science or pseudo science. This is just such a case.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 03:51 AM   #5
Cheetah
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I was saying in another thread that there are some cases where it is not possible to determine if something is science or pseudo science. This is just such a case.
I disagree.
If this is pseudoscience, so is pure mathematics.
It might have nothing to do with how the universe works, but it's still 'mathematics'.
This is just a possible alternative model and this project is searching for models that correspond to the real world.

Last edited by Cheetah; 16th April 2020 at 04:05 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 05:57 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen this comic posted as a response. Also this xkcd.

I don't know enough to know how fair that is, although I think both were posted by physicists. Certainly both clarified that they know the comics don't fit Wolfram 100%, and both concede that Wolfram is very knowledgeable and that they're more commenting on his presentation of his ideas rather than dismissing them out of hand as being wrong.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:58 AM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I've got the same problem.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how far this approach will get him in quantum physics. The double slit experiment was mentioned, but that is tinker toys.

How is a computational rule going to lead to behaviour like entangled particles?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I wonder how far this approach will get him in quantum physics. The double slit experiment was mentioned, but that is tinker toys.

How is a computational rule going to lead to behaviour like entangled particles?

Well, first you gotta ask, how is a computational rule going to lead to behavior like... particles?

I've been reading small parts of the 600-page background briefing. It's out there, as in complicated. The type of rule he's discussing is simple, but the resulting behavior and how to evaluate it is complicated. So you have to have a graduate level of understanding of that kind of computation, and of the mathematical underpinnings of multiple theories of particle physics, to try to match them up. Then if you want to look at entanglement, better add the mathematics of quantum physics to your resume.
Old 18th April 2020, 06:07 PM   #10
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

For those interested, I haven't watched it, (I'm one minute in), but Lex Fridman has just released a three hour interview with Steven Wolfram on the Artificial Intelligence Podcast, and based on the description they spend considerable time on this topic. His interviews are usually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez773teNFYA

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 08:10 PM   #11
a_unique_person

Usually it's easy to spot science absurdity. It is usually fraud or simple crazy.

1. A fraud is self explanatory.
2. Simple crazy - what we see here, talking a lot of complex words they have picked up but really no understanding of any of them.

Now I add a third possibility.

3. Super crazy - very smart, able to discuss complex science concepts and understand them, but then they veer off into ego driven self delusion. A lot of scientists would have thought this of Einstein when he first published his papers on relativity.

This guy isn't a fraud, he isn't simple crazy, but is he super crazy?

Last edited by a_unique_person; 18th April 2020 at 08:12 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 09:07 PM   #12
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Apparently he has a project where he looks at all the possible computable
universes and selects the one model that matches ours. Not sure though.

Here's the short summary.
Each time I see this thread I wonder to myself , “Does he only do his research on a full moon?”.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2020, 10:17 PM   #13
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Well, first you gotta ask, how is a computational rule going to lead to behavior like... particles?

I've been reading small parts of the 600-page background briefing. It's out there, as in complicated. The type of rule he's discussing is simple, but the resulting behavior and how to evaluate it is complicated. So you have to have a graduate level of understanding of that kind of computation, and of the mathematical underpinnings of multiple theories of particle physics, to try to match them up. Then if you want to look at entanglement, better add the mathematics of quantum physics to your resume.
I don't have to have QM on.my resume to see the conceptual problem with getting entanglement from a computational rule.
Old 19th April 2020, 05:50 AM   #14
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I don't have to have QM on.my resume to see the conceptual problem with getting entanglement from a computational rule.

No, but you might need it to solve that problem.
Old 19th April 2020, 05:56 AM   #15
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
3. Super crazy - very smart, able to discuss complex science concepts and understand them, but then they veer off into ego driven self delusion. A lot of scientists would have thought this of Einstein when he first published his papers on relativity.

This guy isn't a fraud, he isn't simple crazy, but is he super crazy?

"I mean, this is the world's smartest man we're talking about, so who's to say? How can anyone tell if he's gone crazy?" -- Watchmen (Dan Dreiberg/Night Owl regarding Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias)
Old 19th April 2020, 08:06 AM   #16
JeanTate
Illuminator

If key results from known physics - the Standard Model of particle physics, and GR, say - emerge from this approach (in an objectively independent way, of course), this project will be at the starter’s block.

Solve a key open problem - the measurement problem in QM, say, or the neutrino mass hierarchy - and things would start to get interesting.

Coming up with a way to test, today, whatever emerges from this project as quantum gravity would set Wolfram on the path to a Nobel.
JeanTate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 11:25 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wondered what had happened to this a few times over the years. When he first came out with this I spent some time many years ago trying to get my head around it but it was and is way beyond my ability to understand it to a level that I can have a real informed opinion about it.

If I recall correctly he doesn’t only think this is a model of reality but this is what “reality” IS, so the map is the territory. Is that a fair summary?
Old 20th April 2020, 04:55 PM   #18
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If I recall correctly he doesn’t only think this is a model of reality but this is what “reality” IS, so the map is the territory. Is that a fair summary?
I think it's more like "the map is an accurate description of the territory". If I say "that apple is red", I'm not saying that the apple is the word red, but that the word red accurately describes the color of the apple.

If he's right (and as I understand it the project isn't finished yet), this isn't just an approximation to a more fundamental model, but describes the fundamental nature of reality. I don't think there's any problem of mistaking the map for the territory, though.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 04:09 PM   #19
Mader Levap
Muse

I think biggest advantage of his project is that it may end up being useful even if his grand claims and predictions won't come to pass.

His basic thesis is that very simple rules can result in very complex behavior. He concludes that our universe is likely to be run on such set of simple rules and proposed candidate for those: nodes with relationships, where rules govern how those relationship and nodes change.

What I think about it? It is pretty much shoot in dark. If it will be ever possible to verify his work, it won't be any time soon.

But I certainly do NOT consider "universe runs on very simple rules" as some crank idea. In fact, for me it is pretty plausible.

My biggest criticism is that he is going about it like that: identifying various features in his graphs and how they change and how we read them and claiming those correspond to things like space, time, particles etc. That's a little... unconvincing, to be honest. Though I am just interested layman.

Last edited by Mader Levap; 27th April 2020 at 04:20 PM.
Mader Levap is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 08:58 PM   #20
a_unique_person

I think people already knew about the simple rules. String theory is, at its heart, a very simple idea.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:04 PM   #21
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

The "simple rules resulting in complex behaviour" idea has been around for thousands of years, since the pre-Socratic philosophers and is uncontroversially a mainstream idea in physics today.

Last edited by Robin; 27th April 2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 29th April 2020, 07:25 PM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The "simple rules resulting in complex behaviour" idea has been around for thousands of years, since the pre-Socratic philosophers and is uncontroversially a mainstream idea in physics today.

Chaos theory is all about very simple rules producing very complex behaviour. Example

x1=ax0(1-x0) Where
x1 = the next iteration of x0
x0 = initially any number 0 < x < 1
a= a constant.

For low values of a the result is predictable. When a is increased the result switches between two values. Increase a and the results keep on doubling. Then at high values of a the results become chaotic. What is interesting is that for some values of a the results become predictable.
Old 29th April 2020, 07:44 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm familiar with it as far back as John Conway and Life. I wonder what the earliest attestation of the concept actually is.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2020, 08:22 PM   #24
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm familiar with it as far back as John Conway and Life. I wonder what the earliest attestation of the concept actually is.
We don't have many primary sources for the pre-Socratic natural philosophers so we have to depend upon second hand sources, such as Aristotle.

For example in Physics, Aristotle describes Democritus's view that there are only atoms and the void and that all the phenomena that there are can be ascribed to the interaction of atoms of different shapes and sizes.

In "On the Heavens" Aristotle describes Democritus's account of how buoyancy can arise from the lower level interaction of particles of different shapes and sizes.

We know that Democritus ascribed all phenomena, including minds, to the interaction of atoms of different shapes and sizes.

This is a clear example of the concept of complex phenomena arising from simple rules being proposed nearly 2 and a half millenia ago.
Old 29th April 2020, 08:30 PM   #25
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

We don't have many primary sources for the pre-Socratic natural philosophers so we have to depend upon second hand sources, such as Aristotle.

For example in Physics, Aristotle describes Democritus's view that there are only atoms and the void and that all the phenomena that there are can be ascribed to the interaction of atoms of different shapes and sizes.

In "On the Heavens" Aristotle describes Democritus's account of how buoyancy can arise from the lower level interaction of particles of different shapes and sizes.

We know that Democritus ascribed all phenomena, including minds, to the interaction of atoms of different shapes and sizes.

This is a clear example of the concept of complex phenomena arising from simple rules being proposed nearly 2 and a half millenia ago.
Aristotle himself suggested that it was plausible that there were only three principles, consisting of a binary relation (a contrariety) and a substratum.
Old 7th May 2020, 01:24 AM   #26
a_unique_person

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...of-everything/

What scientists think? Not much.
Old 9th May 2020, 12:08 PM   #27
caveman1917
Philosopher

Essentially he's presenting a model of computation, let's call it a graph machine, which is equivalent to several other models of computation, it can simulate a universal Turing machine and it can be simulated by a universal Turing machine. A program running on that graph machine consists of a set of update rules and an initial configuration.

Every program corresponds to a computable function, so if (our model of) the universe is computable then a program exists which computes said function on the graph machine. He hopes that the program which corresponds to the universe is short and that the particular way of encoding it on a graph machine results in intuitive connections between resulting features of the graph and physical entities.

It's a pretty cool thing, but it's computer science and not physics. Ultimately it's no different from writing different python programs trying to find a model for the universe, except that the source code looks different (python code vs sets of update rules/initial graph configurations), it runs on a different machine (your standard pc vs an abstract graph machine), and that physical entities correspond to different encodings (arbitrary blobs of 0's and 1's in a big linear bit-array that is your pc memory vs features on abstract graphs). The other point, hoping that it will be in particular a short program that corresponds to our universe, seems the same irrespective of the encoding (IIRC the Kolmogorov complexity of an object differs only up to a constant if you change the encoding).
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology