ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 01:24 PM   #361
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
No, it isn't peculiar. Are you an idiot?
Well yes, she is an idiot, selected to be based on her willingness to work for Trump. That worked out so well for the many others in the past, right?

But I also think that Trump’s defenders have injured their minds by their repeated attempts to defend him. Once one becomes accustomed to having to invent the absurd to defend the indefensible one develops a spinal level, reflex ability to spit out stuff that simply makes no sense at all.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:33 PM   #362
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Didn’t Obama, whose Administration has now been caught cold illegally spying on the Trump campaign, recently also get caught playing golf on a course in Virginia, despite his wife Michelle urging people to stay home, before and after his round, in a major public service message?...

....A total double standard. The only thing the Dems have going for them is their very close relationship with the Fake News Lamestream Media!
I see Trump is still claiming Obama spied on his campaign when not a shred of evidence of that has been provided for that allegation. In fact, the DOJ IG said no such spying occurred. But since when have facts ever stopped Trump from lying about something? But you can bet your bottom dollar that his supporters believe him.

As for Obama playing golf, it was a socially isolated game and he, unlike Trump, is no longer the POTUS responsible for handling the current pandemic. Jackass.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:35 PM   #363
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Well yes, she is an idiot, selected to be based on her willingness to work shill for Trump. That worked out so well for the many others in the past, right?

But I also think that Trump’s defenders have injured their minds by their repeated attempts to defend him. Once one becomes accustomed to having to invent the absurd to defend the indefensible one develops a spinal level, reflex ability to spit out stuff that simply makes no sense at all.
FTFY
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:36 PM   #364
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How about voters then if merely directly supporting him in every measured way is a bit vague for you.

One can vote for Trump for many reasons which have nothing to do with Trump. Many people hold their nose while voting.

Kinda like many will do for Biden.
Old 26th May 2020, 01:38 PM   #365
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
So you're saying reptilians have crossed the atmospheric boundary and stolen the President's job?
Nope, while the previous reptiles in the job were home grown, all were elected.
Old 26th May 2020, 03:08 PM   #366
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
One can vote for Trump for many reasons which have nothing to do with Trump. Many people hold their nose while voting.

Kinda like many will do for Biden.
More false equivalence. No democrat will be 'holding their nose' when voting for Biden, just like they didn't when he was VP. If they don't like him that much they will abstain or vote independent.

Republicans OTOH - if they want to win then they have no choice. But why is winning at any cost so important to them? They are in the minority. If the elections were truly democratic they would lose. And that would mean they couldn't push their minority agenda onto the rest of us. It might even mean having to compromise for the benefit of everybody, rather than being able to shove their selfish interests down our throat.

So republicans who think Trump is horrible have a conundrum - they have to vote for the 'strongest' GOP candidate, or accept defeat at the polls - no matter how much they hate him. But most have figured a way out. Pretend that since the world hasn't totally descended into chaos under Trump it can't be all that bad. Focus on the 'positives' Trump has given them (packing the courts with conservative judges, gutting environmental regulations etc.), cross their fingers and hope nothing really bad happens.

Oops!
Old 26th May 2020, 03:15 PM   #367
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Brit Hume
@brithume
This might help explain why Trump doesn’t like to wear a mask in public. Biden today.

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/1265045009323241472

(Picture of Biden wearing a mask in link)
Trump just claimed he never mocked Biden for wearing a mask. I guess he thinks just retweeting one that does clears him.

Quote:
In a Rose Garden press conference on Tuesday, Mr. Trump claimed that he wasn't mocking Biden but said he found something about it "unusual."

"Biden can wear a mask," the president said. "But he was standing outside with his wife, perfect conditions, perfect weather. They're inside, they don't wear masks. And I thought it was very unusual he had one on."

"But I thought that was fine," he added. "I wasn't criticizing him at all, why would I do a thing like that?"
I don't know, Donnie. Why would you do something like that? It's a mystery.
Old 26th May 2020, 03:16 PM   #368
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
More false equivalence. No democrat will be 'holding their nose' when voting for Biden, just like they didn't when he was VP. If they don't like him that much they will abstain or vote independent.

Republicans OTOH - if they want to win then they have no choice. But why is winning at any cost so important to them? They are in the minority. If the elections were truly democratic they would lose. And that would mean they couldn't push their minority agenda onto the rest of us. It might even mean having to compromise for the benefit of everybody, rather than being able to shove their selfish interests down our throat.

So republicans who think Trump is horrible have a conundrum - they have to vote for the 'strongest' GOP candidate, or accept defeat at the polls - no matter how much they hate him. But most have figured a way out. Pretend that since the world hasn't totally descended into chaos under Trump it can't be all that bad. Focus on the 'positives' Trump has given them (packing the courts with conservative judges, gutting environmental regulations etc.), cross their fingers and hope nothing really bad happens.

Oops!
What about people in the middle ? Are there none in US ? Poll fluctuations suggest they are.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 03:43 PM   #369
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I see Trump is still claiming Obama spied on his campaign when not a shred of evidence of that has been provided for that allegation. In fact, the DOJ IG said no such spying occurred...
An example of the Big Lie. Repeat it enough times and people begin to believe it.

Trump Tweets

There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent. Mail boxes will be robbed...
The chances of this happening seem pretty close to zero. But does that even matter?

I swear, I have worked with some of the most right-wing, reactionary people you could imagine, and even they never said stuff this stupid. This is like having Joe from down at the gas station elected president. In fact, Joe from down at the gas station would probably be better.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 03:57 PM   #370
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
An example of the Big Lie. Repeat it enough times and people begin to believe it.

The chances of this happening seem pretty close to zero. But does that even matter?

I swear, I have worked with some of the most right-wing, reactionary people you could imagine, and even they never said stuff this stupid. This is like having Joe from down at the gas station elected president. In fact, Joe from down at the gas station would probably be better.
Twitter, for the first time, labeled Trump tweets as potentially misleading and included a label that says “Get the facts about mail-in ballots.” When you click on it, it redirects to articles debunking it. The two tweets claimed massive fraud in mail in voting and that everyone in CA would receive a ballot. In fact, only registered CA voters will receive a ballot.
Old 26th May 2020, 03:59 PM   #371
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter have added a link at the bottom of that Trump tweet and another one connected to it

Get the facts about mail in ballots https://twitter.com/i/events/1265330601034256384

It leads to a fact check page pointing out his claims are unsubstantiated and false.

Ninja'd
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:16 PM   #372
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

At least he'd know that when you're in it up to your eyeballs, you keep your mouth shut.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:17 PM   #373
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Donald Trump pledges to "take a strong look" at Libel Laws [nytimes]

Of note, Jack Posebiec was one of the ghouls that harassed Seth Rich's family, and he's on the President's favorite TV network - One America News.
Um, isn't this an article from January 2018?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:19 PM   #374
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's more than just speculation at this point. It's pretty clear that he cannot act in a sane and rational manner - even when he himself would benefit from it. This entire pandemic response has proven that beyond a reasonable doubt.

One theme that has been clear and consistent throughout this whole mess is Trump's desire to be seen as The Hero. The guy who rides in, gives the orders, solves the problems, saves the world, and receives the accolades of the masses for it.

And the sad part is, he could have actually done all that. He really could have - any one else in his position would have.

If, back in January, he'd just listened to the intelligence reports that warned him this was coming, he could have acted swiftly to limit the spread of the pandemic. If, back in February, he'd paid attention to the increasing numbers of infected in the US, and started pushing for limiting travel, and encouraging social distancing, he could have restricted the spread of the virus within the US. If, back in March, he'd taken the lead in coordinating the production of medical supplies, he could have limited the impact the virus had on hospitals and old age homes. If he had taken the lead on providing unemployment coverage for people put out of work, he could have avoided a lot of the economic damage. If he'd shown some leadership in squashing rumors and conspiracy theories, he would have significantly decreased the social unrest that we've seen. If he'd taken the lead on non-partisan steps to ensure the safety of the upcoming election, he would have restored at least some faith in the democratic institutions of the United States.

If he'd just done that - not even all of it, even just some of it - he really would have fixed the problems, and been the hero, and deserved the accolades, almost without reservation.

But he didn't do any of it. The only reasonable conclusion is that he couldn't do any of it. It's just not in him to take advice, and act in a selfless and charitable manner.
I was in a thread on another board. The opening post cited evidence that the Obama-left-us-empty-shelves claim was unsupported. A variety of Trump supporters insisted that it was really Obama’s fault despite Trump having 3 years to fill up the shelves (two of which included Republican control of both chambers of Congress).

I typed up a post similar to yours, but my main point was the only thing President Trump had to do was acknowledge that some people knew more than he did. But that was far beyond his ability. He has literally claimed to know more than anyone in the US about taxes, ISIS, immigration, immigration visas, drones, construction, walls, infrastructure, Democrats, and a dozen other things.

How can people look at that and not think, “this guy should talk to a mental heath professional”?
Old 26th May 2020, 04:29 PM   #375
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter, for the first time, labeled Trump tweets as potentially misleading and included a label that says “Get the facts about mail-in ballots.” When you click on it, it redirects to articles debunking it. The two tweets claimed massive fraud in mail in voting and that everyone in CA would receive a ballot. In fact, only registered CA voters will receive a ballot.
Twitter have added a link at the bottom of that Trump tweet and another one connected to it

Get the facts about mail in ballots https://twitter.com/i/events/1265330601034256384

It leads to a fact check page pointing out his claims are unsubstantiated and false.

Ninja'd
The reaction to that tomorrow is going to be AWESOME!

Now they need to the same on his accusing Joe Scarborough of murder.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:03 PM   #376
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@Twitter is now interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election. They are saying my statement on Mail-In Ballots, which will lead to massive corruption and fraud, is incorrect, based on fact-checking by Fake News CNN and the Amazon Washington Post....

....Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:05 PM   #377
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Ha ha ha ha ha!! He hates the fact checks!!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:08 PM   #378
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

There isn't enough popcorn in the world for the drama Trump and his disciples are going to raise .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:10 PM   #379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I hope all Republican House Members vote NO on FISA until such time as our Country is able to determine how and why the greatest political, criminal, and subversive scandal in USA history took place!
Old 26th May 2020, 05:14 PM   #380
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha!! He hates the fact checks!!
Interfering with elections! Freedom of speech! It's yuge comedy already!

"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:33 PM   #381
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Quote:
On the other side of the imaginary partisan divide, Democrats spent years advancing the mutually contradictory narratives that Trump is at once (A) idiotic, (B) mentally ill, and (C) running a covert operation to sabotage America in the interests of Russia–but cleverly evading detection under intense scrutiny.
I can honestly say no article I've read about Trump makes the claim (c). I think it's a big straw man, made to try to appear even handed. It failed.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:37 PM   #382
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

First of all, the sabotaging of America in Putin's interests isn't secret at all...It might be something Trump is doing because Putin has him doing it, or it's because Trump is an idiot and mentally ill..or both.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:40 PM   #383
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Trump Tweets

@Twitter is now interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election. They are saying my statement on Mail-In Ballots, which will lead to massive corruption and fraud, is incorrect, based on fact-checking by Fake News CNN and the Amazon Washington Post....

....Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!
Someone needs to pull him aside, and explain that Twitter, as a private organization can stifle all the speech they want.

Trump, being the head of the government, is now threatening to stifle the freedom of the press, and to stifle the speech of an organization. Something he is not permitted to do.

If President Obama said anything similar, the GOP would have built a gallows on the Whitehouse lawn.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:40 PM   #384
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The reaction to that tomorrow is going to be AWESOME!

Now they need to the same on his accusing Joe Scarborough of murder.
Absolutely. Trump again today falsely claimed that Klausutis' death is a "cold case". It is not. It was officially ruled a natural death after the medical examiner determined she fainted due to an undiagnosed heart condition and hit her head on a desk which caused a fatal blood clot.

Trump is no stranger to pushing conspiracy theories including the birther, Seth Rich, and Crowdstrike nonsense in order to attack his political 'enemies'.
This became yet another conspiracy theory fueled by people who revel in such nonsense and Trump is a major participant.
He brought up Klausutis' death back in Nov. 2017 calling it an "unsolved mystery':

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Nov 29, 2017
So now that Matt Lauer is gone when will the Fake News practitioners at NBC be terminating the contract of Phil Griffin? And will they terminate low ratings Joe Scarborough based on the “unsolved mystery” that took place in Florida years ago? Investigate!
Anyone who thinks Trump isn't a pathetic, petty, vindictive little man hasn't been paying attention. Or is just very, very good at lying to themselves.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:40 PM   #385
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
These people are so unprincipled it's disgusting. Their ideology is entirely built on maintaining power through fear and propaganda (any Democrat left of Hitler is an evil commie, socialist, America hating anti-christ terrorist) and not actual principled beliefs. I've noticed a trend of right wingers actively avoiding criticism of literally ANY Republican no matter how vile or egregious their misdeeds but the moment a Democrat gaffes they become principled puritanical pearl clutchers.
We have an active example right now. Biden makes a stupid comment about blacks and apologizes the same day. The GOP and, especially, the right wing punditacracy, are going ape **** over it. Yet nary a single word about Trump's overt racism.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:42 PM   #386
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Whatcha gonna do, Donnie? What threats are forthcoming? Or will you just stamp your foot and hold your breath until you turn blue? Jackass.

I think he really is unable to control himself. He's a sick man.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 26th May 2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:44 PM   #387
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Sean Parnell is an American Hero. Conor Lamb has proven to be an American fraud, and a puppet for Crazy Nancy Pelosi. He said he would NOT vote for her for Speaker, and did. Will kill 2A. Voted to impeach (on nothing). A TOTAL & COMPLETE Sean Parnell Endorsement!
He either did or did not vote for Pelosi for Speaker. There's no other option, nothing in between.* In FACT:

Quote:
Lamb, a veteran first elected to Congress in a 2018, kept his campaign promise and did not vote for Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the House.
*Ignoring voting absent.

ETA: Already covered. I'm gonna have to start posting in the morning instead of the evening.

Last edited by SezMe; 26th May 2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:47 PM   #388
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
He either did or did not vote for Pelosi for Speaker. There's no other option, nothing in between.* In FACT:

*Ignoring voting absent.
WAPO Trump lies tracking team will need to hire more fact checkers. Trump has been on a lie roll massive even for him.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:49 PM   #389
p0lka
Graduate Poster

'Twitter tags Trump tweet with fact-checking warning'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52815552

oh, i'm waiting with bated breath
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:53 PM   #390
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
In a pair of tweets, (Mika) Brzezinski wrote that McEnany had not told the truth when she claimed that Scarborough had joked about the death during an appearance on a radio show hosted by the late Don Imus.

"The Press Secretary is lying. IMUS made the callous joke in 2003 during a break and then repeated it on air. Joe was embarrassed and said, 'What are you going to do?' trying to move on to talk about the show. No lies can cover up the hatefulness of Donald Trump," she said.

"Donald Trump has no decency and refuses to show a trace of humanity toward a grieving widower. No lies can deflect the awfulness of his behavior. History will judge harshly those who defend this cruelty and callousness," she added.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...fending-trumps
Old 26th May 2020, 06:02 PM   #391
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
If, back in January, he'd just listened to the intelligence reports that warned him this was coming, he could have acted swiftly to limit the spread of the pandemic. If, back in February, he'd paid attention to the increasing numbers of infected in the US, and started pushing for limiting travel, and encouraging social distancing, he could have restricted the spread of the virus within the US. If, back in March, he'd taken the lead in coordinating the production of medical supplies, he could have limited the impact the virus had on hospitals and old age homes. If he had taken the lead on providing unemployment coverage for people put out of work, he could have avoided a lot of the economic damage. If he'd shown some leadership in squashing rumors and conspiracy theories, he would have significantly decreased the social unrest that we've seen. If he'd taken the lead on non-partisan steps to ensure the safety of the upcoming election, he would have restored at least some faith in the democratic institutions of the United States.
All true. But one reason why not only Trump but all the other GOPers in high office did not act is that that would have shown that an effective federal government action can really make a difference.

OH, NO. Can't have that.

That would torpedo their constant refrain that government = bad; capitalism = good.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:05 PM   #392
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Or, maybe there aren’t many actual “Trump supporters.” Maybe that’s just a label you affix to people who disagree with your particular outlook.
You're right. All the polls showing that 40% or more or the electorate are going to vote for Trump in November. They really don't support him though.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:11 PM   #393
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You're right. All the polls showing that 40% or more or the electorate are going to vote for Trump in November. They really don't support him though.
All those Trump rallies, MAGA hats, etc, are just Fake News. They aren't real.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:11 PM   #394
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

How brilliant are our FARMERS? Thank you @lgutwein99_31, real talent! #MAGA

(Video of TRUMP 2020 cut in to a field in link)
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...08853954019330
There's a farmer who knows how to program his Tractor's GPS system.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:30 PM   #395
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Trump reminds me of a famous episode in the Army-McCarthy hearings in the 1950s. Joseph McCarthy, the notorious anti-Communist fear monger, lying scum, and exploitive politician, had accused the USA Army of hiding communists. Attorney Welch represented the Army in the hearings. Keeping with his established methods of slur and innuendo, at one point McCarthy made a completely off base, irrelevant attack on the loyalty of Fred Fisher, a junior colleague in Welch’s law firm, a junior colleague who had nothing to do with the hearings. Welch replied:

“Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us....Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true he is still with Hale and Dorr. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.”

When McCarthy continued to press the issue, Welch replied:

“Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyers Guild ... Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

So many times those words come into my head after I read about quotes or actions by Trump.

But why should I be surprised? McCarthy’s right hand sleaze ball was Ron Cohen, the same Ron Cohen who Trump later sat at the foot of and learned every sleazy trick in the book.

“At long last have you no sense of decency?”

There is a difference. The Army-McCarthy hearings exposed McCarthy’s tactics and insanity to the public, beginning his eventual downfall. Trump’s disgusting behavior on the other hand is only meat to his supporters. Perhaps too many of us in the USA at long last have left no sense of decency...

Last edited by Giordano; 26th May 2020 at 06:35 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:38 PM   #396
carlitos
"más divertido"

I like this.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:40 PM   #397
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Um, isn't this an article from January 2018?

Yes. My statute of limitations on hypocrisy is fairly long. I’m still mad about Obama not posting every bill on the White House website for five days of public commentary.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:49 PM   #398
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Trump reminds me of a famous episode in the Army-McCarthy hearings in the 1950s. Joseph McCarthy, the notorious anti-Communist fear monger, lying scum, and exploitive politician, had accused the USA Army of hiding communists. Attorney Welch represented the Army in the hearings. Keeping with his established methods of slur and innuendo, at one point McCarthy made a completely off base, irrelevant attack on the loyalty of Fred Fisher, a junior colleague in Welch’s law firm, a junior colleague who had nothing to do with the hearings. Welch replied:

“Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us....Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true he is still with Hale and Dorr. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.”

When McCarthy continued to press the issue, Welch replied:

“Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyers Guild ... Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

So many times those words come into my head after I read about quotes or actions by Trump.

But why should I be surprised? McCarthy’s right hand sleaze ball was Ron Cohen, the same Ron Cohen who Trump later sat at the foot of and learned every sleazy trick in the book.

“At long last have you no sense of decency?”

There is a difference. The Army-McCarthy hearings exposed McCarthy’s tactics and insanity to the public, beginning his eventual downfall. Trump’s disgusting behavior on the other hand is only meat to his supporters. Perhaps too many of us in the USA at long last have left no sense of decency...
Just a nitpick: That's "Roy Cohn," one of the most notorious scumbags in the history of the legal profession.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:51 PM   #399
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Delete (ninja'ed)

Last edited by phiwum; 26th May 2020 at 06:58 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:52 PM   #400
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Just a nitpick: That's "Roy Cohn," one of the most notorious scumbags in the history of the legal profession.
A professional Cohnman, if you will.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics