ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 03:32 PM   #841
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
To be fair, looting is a lot worse than murdering someone.
Only if the murder victim is black and the stores are white owned. Banks looting billions from sub-par mortage holders is just fine.
Old 29th May 2020, 03:34 PM   #842
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only if the murder victim is black and the stores are white owned. Banks looting billions from sub-par mortage holders is just fine.
Plz.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:06 PM   #843
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"I want to express our Nation's deepest condolences and most heartfelt sympathies to the family of George Floyd."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:12 PM   #844
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"I want to express our Nation's deepest condolences and most heartfelt sympathies to the family of George Floyd."
Too little, too late.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:35 PM   #845
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Too little, too late.
That worked for me because I'm stupid.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:41 PM   #846
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Funny how that Dimensional Chess value has increased during Trump's reign. It used to be that people asked if he was playing 4-D Chess.
When I first heard that I thought that it was a terrible analogy. No one knows 4-D Chess well enough to know if Trump was winning or giving away all his pieces.

In any case now we know he is playing pigeon chess.

(And pigeon chess is exactly what his supporters want to see).
Old 29th May 2020, 04:55 PM   #847
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
That worked for me because I'm stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:12 PM   #848
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Is that stored somewhere? How would a citizen access it.

I'm not trying to be a jackass, I'm asking sincerely. What's this public record you're referencing?
The White House is required by law to keep all presidential records. I *assume* the systems to effectuate that have not been compromised. Maybe I should have made that assumption more explicit.

That the records are preserved does not imply that the public has access to them. I am not knowledgeable about all the applicable rules and regulations.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:15 PM   #849
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Which one? (IIRC, there were... five? Six?)
I was referring to the Clinton investigation while Bill was president; there was only one of those but iit went on for years (literally). You're thinking of the Hillary Clinton investigations regarding Benghazi, of which there were seven.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:17 PM   #850
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Sorry, I should have replied to what you replied to, the faux apology.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:18 PM   #851
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Sorry, I should have replied to what you replied to, the faux apology.
Old 29th May 2020, 05:19 PM   #852
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump held a press conference today that wasn‘t really a press conference. After making reporters wait for a full hour, he read off some prepared remarks and then fled the scene, dodging all questions about yesterday’s hidden tweet.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:23 PM   #853
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Oh yea, his cowardice is showing more and more. I'm thinking that even his cult followers are starting to see it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:25 PM   #854
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The White House is required by law to keep all presidential records. I *assume* the systems to effectuate that have not been compromised.
I don't know if there is an actual "system" for archiving presidential records... I think the law just says they have to be stored somehow/somewhere. They could probably print it on toilet paper and stuff it wadded up in an old coffee can.

But given stubby mcbonespur's disdain for the law it wouldn't surprise me if he is ignoring the law. (After all, the government is currently employing people to tape together documents that trump has shredded... It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't bothering to archive anything).

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:27 PM   #855
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Oh yea, his cowardice is showing more and more. I'm thinking that even his cult followers are starting to see it.
Its almost like he is a snowflake.

Seriously, I doubt his followers care... They probably just think "fake news isn't worth talking to".

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:29 PM   #856
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Trump was not my target. The persistent 30-40% of the populace that comprise his deplorable supporters are the risible and useless wreckage of humanity that need a goddamned good shock.
That cohort has always been around. It's 30-40% of the voting popuilation which (sadly) is only 50% of the adult population. And, finally, I wouldn't assume 100% of Trump supporters fall into the "deplorable" category. It's bad enough - don't needlessly magnify the problem.

It won't take a '45-like smack down to neuter these guys as you suggest. A very public, very aggressive public shaming effort should push most of them back under their rocks.
Old 29th May 2020, 05:34 PM   #857
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

MAIL-IN VOTING WILL LEAD TO MASSIVE FRAUD AND ABUSE. IT WILL ALSO LEAD TO THE END OF OUR GREAT REPUBLICAN PARTY. WE CAN NEVER LET THIS TRAGEDY BEFALL OUR NATION. BIG MAIL-IN VICTORY IN TEXAS COURT TODAY. CONGRATS!!!
Yep. I'd shed some crocodile tears but I just can't be bothered. Sucks to be you, Trump.
Old 29th May 2020, 05:35 PM   #858
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nope. His base will never see it. They're unimportant...a lost cause. Who are important are the voters who held their noses and voted for him because they thought he'd really 'drain the swamp', wanted to try someone who wasn't a politician but a businessman, and/or hated Hillary more.
Old 29th May 2020, 05:44 PM   #859
carrps
Thinker

I was referring to the Clinton investigation while Bill was president; there was only one of those but iit went on for years (literally). You're thinking of the Hillary Clinton investigations regarding Benghazi, of which there were seven.
My memory is that the Ken Starr investigation cost $40million.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:49 PM   #860
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Trump is really increasing the pace. Obamagate. Twitter. Minnesota. Hong Kong. WHO. He grabs half of the frontpage everywhere in the world. Just nobody mention 100,000 dead.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:52 PM   #861
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The boy robot pipes up. How cute. **** him.
Then you'll have to **** me too. I don't want any private, unaccountable to the public, company lawfully engaging in censorship. It's obvious where that could lead.
Old 29th May 2020, 05:55 PM   #862
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Then you'll have to **** me too. I don't want any private, unaccountable to the public, company lawfully engaging in censorship. It's obvious where that could lead.
Already happens - I'm sure you can think of examples. We have decided as a society that SOME censorship by private companies is ok.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 06:09 PM   #863
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

The National Guard has arrived on the scene. They are in Minneapolis and fully prepared. George Floyd will not have died in vain. Respect his memory!!!

REVOKE 230!
WHAT!? Just stopping for a moment reveals this is meaningless garbage. He would have died in vain if the National Guard didn't show up. Did Floyd die in vain or not in vain have anything at all to do with his death?

Jesus, what an idiot....what a harmful idiot.
Old 29th May 2020, 06:13 PM   #864
Tero
Graduate Poster

Ferguson
Baltimore
Charlottesville
Minneapolis

Fine country we have. If Obama couldn't ease this tension, Trump....LOL...no chance.

But Michigan yokels get to protest all they like.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 06:14 PM   #865
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

By definition, a private company can't engage in censorship. That's the word for when government controls speech.

So I'm curious about your statement... what are you talking about?
Old 29th May 2020, 06:14 PM   #866
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
And that was over 2 decades ago. In today's dollars, that would be over $60 million. (And that's in addition to millions more spent by the republicans in other Clinton investigations.

So lets see:

Starr investigates Clinton, costs $40 million (or $60 million), and if I remember, other than the impeachment there were no charges laid against other people.

Mueller investigates Trump, it costs $32 million (or only half the cost in today's dollars compared to the Starr investigation), they recovered more than that from legal action against Manafort, and dozens of people were either charged, were convicted, or plead guilty.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th May 2020, 06:23 PM   #867
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Trump is really increasing the pace. Obamagate. Twitter. Minnesota. Hong Kong. WHO. He grabs half of the frontpage everywhere in the world. Just nobody mention 100,000 dead.
My big concern is what he does after he runs out of the low hanging fruit.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 06:26 PM   #868
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Around that, yeah. Now project that to current dollars. There's probably a web site to do that but it's not worth pursuing - for me, anyway.

ETA: Segnosaur covered it well enough.

Last edited by SezMe; 29th May 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 29th May 2020, 06:27 PM   #869
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Correction noted. 104,000-D Chess.
Aw, you aren't doing powers of 2 chess anymore? disappointed.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 06:29 PM   #870
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://twitter.com/letamericavote/s...845616130?s=20
Quote:
More proof @realDonaldTrump is lying about voting by mail being insecure or fraudulent: not only does he vote by mail himself, he has encouraged his supporters to do so.

If it is good enough for them, it should be good enough for all Americans.
Video embedded in tweet.
Dear political commentators:

Please stop trying to apply rules of fact and logic to Trump claims/statements like these. He doesn’t care. He isn’t going to suddenly come to his senses, slap his forehead and say, “Of course! How could I have been so mistaken? Thank you for helping set me straight!”

You haven’t triumphantly caught him in a hypocritical corner here nor anytime before. Why? He doesn’t give two, one, or even a fraction of a **** about voting by mail or what Hunter Biden may have been up to in The Ukraine or Robert Mueller or any of it. He doesn’t care one way and he doesn’t care the other way.

What he cares about is sowing seeds of doubt in the minds of the 40%. He’s counting on his powers of pursuasion along with the eager gullibility of the base. That’s the way he wins.

Put another way: facts schmacts.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 29th May 2020 at 06:30 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 07:33 PM   #871
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
But Michigan yokels get to protest all they like.
The Michigan yahoos cancelled - https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...nneapolis.html

The got wind that a group plans to protest George Floyd's murder. Seems they didn't want to be around a group of pissed off folks and decided to turn tail an run.

Granted, there is a perverse fascination in seeing what happens when armed redneck trumpers are confronted by armed members of Blacks and Latinos Against Racist Empowerment. They were in Lansing early this week as well - https://www.wxyz.com/news/lansing-pr...eople-of-color

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/r...we-have-rights
Old 29th May 2020, 09:04 PM   #872
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Beau of the Fifth Column is someone I like to hear speak on many subjects including Trump's escapade with Twitter:
https://youtu.be/smw0FS6S97s
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 09:27 PM   #873
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Each moment people talk about Twitter, they're not talking about 100,000 dead Americans. 128-D Chess.
...I think that it may be time to identify the standard right-wing tactics in a simple way. DDD. Distract, Distort, Deceive.

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Trump withdraws USA from WHO and declares Cold War II on China.

America First should really be America Alone.
Pretty much exactly the way to lose any conflict with China. Dealing with China effectively requires working together with the rest of the world.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:31 PM   #874
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Won't they have to, if the EO does overturn the legal protections of platforms and makes them as responsible for content as publishers? If that becomes the case then platforms will have to drop any user who strays into any remarks that could get them sued. Trump's got a very extensive history of making offensive and libellous remarks on Twitter, and now threats of violence. As a direct consequence of the idiot getting what he wants he'd lose his account almost immediately.
I think I said that a while back. Twitter will simply purge all things Trump to the null device.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 09:37 PM   #875
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I think I said that a while back. Twitter will simply purge all things Trump to the null device.
A question occurs: can people actually die from extreme anger? Is apoplexy an actual medical condition? Just wondering. Also: it might be easier to just repaint a room orange than clean it up.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:39 PM   #876
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
Beau of the Fifth Column is someone I like to hear speak on many subjects including Trump's escapade with Twitter:
He's got a point with George Floyd.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:43 PM   #877
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Looting leads to shooting, and that’s why a man was shot and killed in Minneapolis on Wednesday night - or look at what just happened in Louisville with 7 people shot. I don’t want this to happen, and that’s what the expression put out last night means....

....It was spoken as a fact, not as a statement. It’s very simple, nobody should have any problem with this other than the haters, and those looking to cause trouble on social media. Honor the memory of George Floyd!
Does he not know that 30,000 Americans get shot dead every year in the USA? This is normal. Doesn't even make the weekly Weebewalkin Gazette. Ed's Cow Sales are bigger news.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 09:50 PM   #878
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its almost like he is a snowflake.

Seriously, I doubt his followers care... They probably just think "fake news isn't worth talking to".

To which the blindingly obvious reply is: So why does he show up to press conferences at all?
Old 29th May 2020, 10:24 PM   #879
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
Trump hasn't snowed this guy. He's right on target.
Old 29th May 2020, 10:29 PM   #880
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I like Trae Crowder; He used to do stand up comedy but always has been very opinionated.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics