ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 08:06 PM   #361
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Ok. I'm not reading much about this on the net and not reading every post in this thread. Last I heard he had not died at the scene.
He would have been declared dead at the scene (which would have been taped off and attended by homicide cops) if it hadn't been a police officer who did the murder. After all, no need to preserve evidence for a case the cops don't want to make.

Had that scumbag been taken from the scene in cuffs, there probably would have been no civil unrest.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:07 PM   #362
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Whelp, Minneapolis is burning in pretty colors right now, courtesy of NBC.

Totally missed the opportunity to call this thread Murdered By Police While Black

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:13 PM   #363
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Totally missed the opportunity to call this thread Murdered By Police While Black
So vibrant.

Do you feel enriched yet? I feel enriched.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:17 PM   #364
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
So vibrant.

I feel like that cop is going to be found in a shallow grave if the public gets a hold of him

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:19 PM   #365
deadrose
Illuminator

The ex identified him (the provocateur) immediately & without question, apparently before she knew what the photo is from.

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1266167967865286656

Last edited by deadrose; 28th May 2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarification
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:25 PM   #366
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Ok. I'm not reading much about this on the net and not reading every post in this thread. Last I heard he had not died at the scene.

Reports are that he had no pulse at the scene. That may not be literally dead when modern medical technology is at hand, but close enough for most purposes.
Quote:
A report from the Minneapolis Fire Department shows George Floyd was unresponsive when emergency medical personnel transferred him into an ambulance at the site of his violent arrest on Monday.

The department's notes, which were shared to Twitter Wednesday afternoon by KARE reporter Lou Raguse, describe Floyd as "pulseless" upon its crew members' arrival to assist in his hospital transport.
https://www.newsweek.com/george-floy...rtment-1506941
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:27 PM   #367
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
The ex identified him immediately & without question, apparently before she knew what the photo is from.
https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1266167967865286656
I have to say that this is one of the silliest conspiracy theories I've seen in quite some time.

Okay, so the narrative is that a white cop was hidden among the numerous, numerous, numerous clearly authentic, mostly black rioters / looters - and that this individual, or a few like him, are the ones who are responsible for arson and theft and vandalism getting started?

Pardon, but we have numerous videos of black rioters engaging in all of those activities. Breaking into store windows, setting fires, you name it.

And this is what those same type of people have done at all the previous incidents like this too. Ferguson, Milwaukee, Baltimore, and back through the decades. This is not an aspect of these which ever fails to happen. It is always an included part.

Now because someone tells me they're "90% sure" they have successfully identified this guy in a mask, covered nearly head to toe, as someone they know and who is a cop - I'm supposed to buy into some elaborate conspiracy theory that already cannot be true based on other evidence about who started and participated in these things?

I doubt that's the same guy. I suspect the person who was filmed was a white antifa type guy who had an umbrella for tear gas deflection, same with the gas mask. To be honest, I didn't even see him vandalizing on the video, let alone starting a fire. If he did do vandalism on the video, or just prior to it... then that fits with him being antifa, not a cop.

Why on Earth would a handful of cops seed themselves throughout this mass riot / loot fest to start fires and do vandalism? Why would they risk being caught and beaten to death by these folks? Why would they risk their lives, jobs, and the credibility of their entire side of this conflict... to do something that was guaranteed to happen anyway? Something we have video evidence of being done by the authentic mob!

Pleaaaaase lay this narrative out for me. I'm dying to hear this presented in a way that makes one iota of sense. Seriously.

Nah, this is a narrative for white liberals who don't want to view black rioters / looters in a realistic light. They need these people to be taking righteous action with moral motive, and they don't like when that bubble gets popped (and it never doesn't get popped.)

Pure silliness. They are PROUD of what they're doing. Don't take that from them, especially with sauce this weak.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:31 PM   #368
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Ex-cop turned lawyer who defends cops says Chauvin should have been arrested at the scene.
Quote:
Former D.C. police detective and defense attorney Ted Williams told "Bill Hemmer Reports" Thursday that a Minneapolis police officer filmed with his knee on the neck of George Floyd earlier this week should been arrested and charged "right there on the scene."

I've represented police officers that are charged with excessive force," Williams told host Bill Hemmer. "But when I look at this situation here, the big question is, should this officer, Derek Chauvin, have been charged right there on the scene, once they looked at the video?

"And my answer is a resounding yes, he should have been charged."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/george...ld-be-arrested
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:34 PM   #369
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Ex-cop turned lawyer who defends cops says Chauvin should have been arrested at the scene.

Where are the Derek Chauvin supporters? Any Chauvinists in the house?
Old 28th May 2020, 08:44 PM   #370
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Where are the Derek Chauvin supporters? Any Chauvinists in the house?
Well, there's Skeptic Tank. Others have the taste to keep it to themselves.
Old 28th May 2020, 08:45 PM   #371
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Okay, so the narrative is that a white cop was hidden among the numerous, numerous, numerous clearly authentic, mostly black rioters / looters - and that this individual, or a few like him, are the ones who are responsible for arson and theft and vandalism getting started?
No.

The "narrative" is that nobody was smashing windows and starting fires until this guy.

It's funny how in your fantasy-world these black looters in Minneapolis don't even really care about the dead innocent black man and are just using him as an excuse to loot and destroy like they've always wanted, and yet in the end it's a white man - allegedly, a cop no less - that has to actually start breaking things.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:52 PM   #372
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Why on Earth
Your racism has left you predisposed to ignorance. Look up agents provocateur and do some reading.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 08:54 PM   #373
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No.

The "narrative" is that nobody was smashing windows and starting fires until this guy.

It's funny how in your fantasy-world these black looters in Minneapolis don't even really care about the dead innocent black man and are just using him as an excuse to loot and destroy like they've always wanted, and yet in the end it's a white man - allegedly, a cop no less - that has to actually start breaking things.
Wait, huh?

I'm saying the narrative about cop(s) being involved in / starting the fires and breaking of windows is absurd.

You're under the impression that I am pushing that narrative?

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Your racism has left you predisposed to ignorance. Look up agents provocateur and do some reading.
Oh please though, this is a great opportunity to educate me in front of everyone - I'll really be shown up.

Please, please lay out for me the scenario and the logic behind Minneapolis PD seeding police agents provocateur among the rioters / looters to do things that were happening on a massive scale anyway?

I am literally begging you, make this make a shred of sense for me.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 28th May 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:15 PM   #374
whatsthedreamnow
Student

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If he repeatedly says "I can't breathe" he can breathe.
That's just not true. I've often wondered what it's like to be a horrible person. Never mind. Don't share.
whatsthedreamnow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 09:17 PM   #375
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Video of the 3rd police precinct being abandoned by cops, and it is apparently now being burned down by the mob - now that it's unprotected / unmanned:

video link

Such noble, civic minded people - just pushing back against injustice!

ETA: Shots fired at Louisville, KY riot

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 28th May 2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:26 PM   #376
Checkmite

What do people think "No Justice, No Peace" actually means?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 09:29 PM   #377
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You spelled 'slowly suffocated' wrong.

Old 28th May 2020, 09:29 PM   #378
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

MSNBC has new video showing all four cops surrounding Floyd on the ground as he begs to sit up:
https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/ne...ce-84061253930
Old 28th May 2020, 09:29 PM   #379
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So vibrant.

That's my city you're so flippant about, god damn it.

I've been to several of those places that are likely to be reduced to ashes by the morning. With the wind whipping up, who knows how these fires may spread. The Fire Department can't get in to contain them. They tried, but had to leave for fear of their own safety. Not from the fire -- from the protesters.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:31 PM   #380
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

What do people think "No Justice, No Peace" actually means?
Oh, oh! I know! I know!

It actually means a thinly veiled excuse to have an orgy of criminality for people whose lives are filled with constant criminality spread out over time, and who find it fun to do it in a communal way, on a larger scale, more destructive, more brazen, more exciting. All the better to have the ability to frame it as somehow noble, lol.

The narrative that there is "no justice" is bull.

A guy accidentally died while resisting arrest. It ain't cool, it ain't right - but it's not that big of a deal. Certainly not a justification for a nationwide orgy of riot and destruction, which appears to be either what is already going on, or what they're trying to turn it into. It's certainly that in some areas already.

Lots and lots of white people are killed by police. More than blacks. Admittedly, blacks are killed more percentage wise, but that's not exactly surprising.

Does the fact that a lot of whites are killed by cops mean whites have "no justice" ???

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 28th May 2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:31 PM   #381
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

I've been to several of those places that are likely to be reduced to ashes by the morning. With the wind whipping up, who knows how these fires may spread. The Fire Department can't get in to contain them. They tried, but had to leave for fear of their own safety. Not from the fire -- from the protesters.
I'm not flippant. I'm pissed off. At cops who murder with impunity and cover for each other.

Be safe man.

Old 28th May 2020, 09:32 PM   #382
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Well, gee whiz, if somebody says so it must be important.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 09:34 PM   #383
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

You might be surprised how seriously I take this, in my inner core. I have had to learn to laugh at just how lost and screwed our society is now. The darkness of it is unendurable without that defense mechanism.

I'm sorry, but it's not. It's theirs.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:34 PM   #384
Checkmite

Nope.

A guy accidentally died while resisting arrest.
Nope.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:34 PM   #385
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, oh! I know! I know!

It actually means a thinly veiled excuse to have an orgy of criminality for people whose lives are filled with constant criminality spread out over time, and who find it fun to do it in a communal way, on a larger scale, more destructive, more brazen, more exciting. All the better to have the ability to frame it as somehow noble, lol.

A guy accidentally died while resisting arrest. It ain't cool, it ain't right - but it's not that big of a deal. Certainly not a justification for a nationwide orgy of riot and destruction, which appears to be either what is already going on, or what they're trying to turn it into. It's certainly that in some areas already.

Lots and lots of white people are killed by police. More than blacks. Admittedly, blacks are killed more percentage wise, but that's not exactly surprising.

Does the fact that a lot of whites are killed by cops mean whites have "no justice" ???
Jesus Christ, dude, that was not an accidental killing. Chauvin cold bloodedly killed that guy while his buddies ran interference against those who specifically pointed it out to them. This was not an accident

Old 28th May 2020, 09:35 PM   #386
Checkmite

I'm sorry, but it's not. It's theirs.
To clarify, by "theirs" here, he means dirty evil black people.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:37 PM   #387
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A Minneapolis city councilwoman is saying on MSNBC that both Floyd and Chauvin worked as bouncers at the same restaurant and knew each other. If that's true it's all even crazier.
Quote:
A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year.

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months.

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside."
https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-f...-2020/5743990/
Old 28th May 2020, 09:38 PM   #388
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Jesus Christ, dude, that was not an accidental killing. Chauvin cold bloodedly killed that guy while his buddies ran interference against those who specifically pointed it out to them. This was not an accident
Think for a moment about what you're saying.

"This was not an accident" ... for real?

So, that can only mean one thing. You are telling me right now that these cops, while being filmed by multiple people, decided "know what? this black guy dies right here, right now. I've had it with these counterfeit twenty dollar bills. I'm going to choke the life out of this man and there's not a thing anyone can do to stop me! muhahahahaha!"

C'mon. Get serious. It is quite clear it was accidental. He thought he was immobilizing him, and he screwed up bad. Maybe he's done the same thing to other perps before and it went fine, maybe not. Don't know. What I do know, though, is these cops did not decide they were going to kill him.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:39 PM   #389
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A guy accidentally died while resisting arrest.
It was obviously no accident that Chauvin kept his knee on Flloyd's throat for almost 10 minutes, and there is no proof except the cop's own claims that he was resisting arrest.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:40 PM   #390
Checkmite

A Minneapolis city councilwoman is saying on MSNBC that both Floyd and Chauvin worked as bouncers at the same restaurant and knew each other. If that's true it's all even crazier.
They both worked there but she did NOT say they knew each other:

Quote:
Although the two overlapped working security on popular music nights within the last year, Santamaria can not say for certain they knew each other because there were often a couple dozen security guards, including off-duty officers.

Santamaria says she did not recognize either one of her security guards in the video showing Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck not far from where they used to work.

"My friend sent me (the video) and said this is your guy who used to work for you and I said, 'It's not him.' And then they did the closeup and that's when I said, 'Oh my God, that's him,'" Santamaria said. "I didn't recognize George as one of our security guys because he looked really different lying there like that."
Old 28th May 2020, 09:42 PM   #391
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So, that can only mean one thing. You are telling me right now that these cops, while being filmed by multiple people, decided "know what? this black guy dies right here, right now. I've had it with these counterfeit twenty dollar bills. I'm going to choke the life out of this man and there's not a thing anyone can do to stop me! muhahahahaha!"

C'mon. Get serious. It is quite clear it was accidental. He thought he was immobilizing him, and he screwed up bad. Maybe he's done the same thing to other perps before and it went fine, maybe not. Don't know. What I do know, though, is these cops did not decide they were going to kill him.
No. All of that would require some humanity, deep down in there somewhere near that gaping hole where their souls should be.

What Chauvin thought was '**** this animal. I don't care if it lives or dies'.

Old 28th May 2020, 09:42 PM   #392
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A death that results from willful negligence and misconduct is not an accident. It might not be first-degree murder, but it's not an act of God either. The cops had no justification to do what they deliberately did. That's why it's not an accident.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:44 PM   #393
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

No. All of that would require some humanity, deep down in there somewhere near that gaping hole where their souls should be.

What Chauvin thought was '**** this animal. I don't care if it lives or dies'.
Right, because in 2020 after years of Trayvons and Michael Browns and the Baltimore guy and countless others the media drew attention to, a white cop being filmed by a group of mostly black people with their phones out... didn't care one way or the other whether the guy he was on top of lived or died.

Not even out of self-interest / not wanting his life totally destroyed as it is now.

Sure, that makes loads of sense!
Old 28th May 2020, 09:45 PM   #394
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

No.

So you're going with the "black people can't do anything until whitey tells them what to do" theory of civil unrest?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 09:49 PM   #395
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

That feel when all your biases are confirmed yet again.

Old 28th May 2020, 09:52 PM   #396
Checkmite

Right, because in 2020 after years of Trayvons and Michael Browns and the Baltimore guy and countless others the media drew attention to, a white cop being filmed by a group of mostly black people with their phones out... didn't care one way or the other whether the guy he was on top of lived or died.

Not even out of self-interest / not wanting his life totally destroyed as it is now.

Sure, that makes loads of sense!
LOL, he's actually going with "don't be silly, white cops are too afraid to be racist to black people now". Incredible!
Old 28th May 2020, 09:52 PM   #397
chrispy
Muse

They both worked there but she did NOT say they knew each other:
Having worked security at bars (in 3 countries), I can say with full certainty that they at least KNEW eachother, but to what degree is up for debate. But for a bar to have no communication among security is silly.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:54 PM   #398
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Having worked security at bars (in 3 countries), I can say with full certainty that they at least KNEW eachother, but to what degree is up for debate. But for a bar to have no communication among security is silly.
Sounds like the cop was the contracted police officer outside the building, the deceased was a bouncer inside. The cop may have, at most, known him as "that big black guy bouncer I see from a distance occasionally."

Hard to say.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:57 PM   #399
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-f...-2020/5743990/
The story references the club owner saying that but not a Minneapolis city council woman. Is the club owner on the city council? If true, that does make this even crazier.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:59 PM   #400
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

For anyone not on Twitter right now, lots of stuff out there indicating things such as:
  • Ohio State House stormed
  • Police precint mentioned earlier is being blown up
  • "Females being taken" in some kidnapping (likely rape) possibly from a store
  • Looks like lots of people getting shot / shot at in multiple cities

Our. Greatest. Strength.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events