ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags neuroscience

Old 12th September 2019, 03:48 AM   #81
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
These figures fly in the face of my personal observations over many years so my skepticism is strong. I show a YouTube sample for your edification. Tell me what you observe about the number of women and men in the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrxeQiOdVg
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Personal observations trump demographically-representative samples from a panel of 5 million people worldwide!
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
That's strange. The chart you showed clearly said US people.
The "worldwide" slip doesn't change the numbers. But the numbers don't really disagree with the original claim anyway. They show a clear skew with women going for that particular type of nonsense more than men do, just like the video of clips from the John Edward show does. You two don't have a disagreement, unless one of you wants to change your claim to something more extreme than either of you started with (all women buy into this, no men do, exactly the same numbers of each do...).
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:20 PM   #82
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The "worldwide" slip doesn't change the numbers. But the numbers don't really disagree with the original claim anyway. They show a clear skew with women going for that particular type of nonsense more than men do, just like the video of clips from the John Edward show does. You two don't have a disagreement, unless one of you wants to change your claim to something more extreme than either of you started with (all women buy into this, no men do, exactly the same numbers of each do...).

No I don't want to change my claim to something more extreme, and my original claim was just as you put it. Roger Ramjets decided to take issue with me on the subject for reasons best known to himself.

Apart from personal observations I have found other statistics, supporting the notion that women go for this particular stuff more than men. I invite others to consult their own experiences and do research if they wish. I grow tired of it.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:23 PM   #83
Malicex
New Blood

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You don't need neuroscience to wonder why you had to leave out the rest of that sentence.
Hahaha, and why is that? You already know what I have said, are you contradicting it or not? Stop trying to pussyfoot.

Now we've gone from an idea (yours) that's clearly impossible and therefore a favored theme of fiction (usually comedies, for example Switch, The Hot Chick, Itís a Boy-Girl Thing, Dating the Enemy, Goodbye Charlie) to Einstein's Gedankenexperiment, which is very pretentious of you. Einstein made actual thought experiments to grasp reality. You don't.
Cute... He actually did engage in fictional thought experiments, such as what light would look like if you traveled the speed of light (a standing wave).

And unlike Einstein's thought experiment, in this case all you need to do is ask transgender people what it's like to be them, and they tell you that they identify with the sex they weren't born as, and that it feels awful.
So what do you learn from that?!
As I said, I didn't realize you would get so fussy about it. Now it's just become whining. Yes, I know you can just ask them, and I have, and I have gotten an answer. And the answer did not contradict a single statement I have made.

So who the hell are you talking to? What have I stated that you seek to contradict?
Malicex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology