ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:56 AM   #41
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
I can't see why an astrologer couldn't create a horoscope that's based in the past. I mean, take a person unknown to the astrologer, give the date of birth and other requested details, then ask the astrologer to draw up the horoscope for a time that has already happened. Then one could check with the horoscopee to see if the predicted events actually happened.

Repeat a few times.
It's not double blinded, and it doesn't protect against simply playing the odds, if you know someone's date of birth you can make some pretty obvious statements that apply to almost everyone. Simply scoring them for hits is an invitation to this. By getting a group of people to score the horoscopes not knowing if it's theirs or not gives a control.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 06:33 PM   #42
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It's not double blinded, and it doesn't protect against simply playing the odds, if you know someone's date of birth you can make some pretty obvious statements that apply to almost everyone. Simply scoring them for hits is an invitation to this. By getting a group of people to score the horoscopes not knowing if it's theirs or not gives a control.
I was thinking more along the lines of things specific to the person for whom the astrologer was drawing up a chart. Car crashes, being arrested, friend's death - gruesome stuff like that.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 06:42 PM   #43
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Echoing others: One has to know exactly what the astrologer claims he can do. Otherwise, you're not testing anything.

You could give me a test on trigonometry and I will fail it badly. But if my claim was "I'm a retired lawyer," I don't think your test would be very meaningful.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:11 AM   #44
Rincewind
Philosopher

I dimly recall a test run some years ago when the details of Timothy McVeigh were used.

You may remember that he was the Oklahoma City bomber.

Needless to say, the astrologers never got close with their replies.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #45
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I saw a clip of Randi testing some financial astrologer vs. a real financial analyst. After 4 or 5 weeks the astrologer had lost quite a bit of money. I believe his excuse was that the astrology was fine but the failures were due to predictions he made "with his instinct."

So he basically admitted he was trying to cheat the system if the whole point was to test astrology in the first place.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:35 AM   #46
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Echoing others: One has to know exactly what the astrologer claims he can do. Otherwise, you're not testing anything.

You could give me a test on trigonometry and I will fail it badly. But if my claim was "I'm a retired lawyer," I don't think your test would be very meaningful.
SOHCAHTOA

You're welcome
Old 17th September 2019, 06:46 PM   #47
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
SOHCAHTOA

You're welcome

While I appreciate the help, I still don't think I'd do very well on that test.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal