ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 10:03 AM   #2481
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Allen Sutton
@StewardshipAmer

President @realDonaldTrump is the best president to happen for America since Abraham Lincoln. President Lincoln saved America; President Trump, by his "America first" policies, is restoring it for the future
Someone's looking for new job in the WH. (Or some other favor)
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #2482
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Simple: he’s the Great White Dope Hope.
For a certain value of "white", of course.
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #2483
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So about that CA milage efficiency override: There's a news conference speech? right now. There was clapping and no questions so the audience was a bunch of old white men in favor of it.

Yes, this is all about undoing yet one more thing of Obama's not just something in CA regulations. They touted evidence we are driving cars longer before buying new ones saying that was because of the cost of new autos.

Of course no one looked at other variables like stagnant wages as the reason. Why should they when they look for justification after the fact.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Today at 12:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #2484
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Regarding the whistle blower:

I'm curious what the opinions are here: Now that the initial reports are public, do you think there's a significant chance that the administration can still bury the details and no real govt action will be taken (outside of the Trump toadies in govt)?

Or is this one of those things where now that we know there's a cat in the bag it's only a matter of time before the actual process begins to remedy whatever the whistle blower whistled about?
That doesn't seem to happen though. Generally we don't get details on what Trump is covering up. And if this involves national security, there may be even less chance of it going public.

I would have expected an unredacted Mueller Report and Trump's tax returns to have been stolen/leaked by now. The American public does not end up getting the information. I bet Putin gets it, though.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:56 AM   #2485
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Another Fake News story out there - It never ends! Virtually anytime I speak on the phone to a foreign leader, I understand that there may be many people listening from various U.S. agencies, not to mention those from the other country itself. No problem!...

....Knowing all of this, is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!

Presidential Harassment!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #2486
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I would have expected an unredacted Mueller Report and Trump's tax returns to have been stolen/leaked by now. The American public does not end up getting the information. I bet Putin gets it, though.
Why would Putin get the Mueller report? He doesn't need it... He already knows what he did to get Trump installed as president, and what Trump has done to cover up his crimes.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #2487
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Another Fake News story out there - It never ends! Virtually anytime I speak on the phone to a foreign leader, I understand that there may be many people listening from various U.S. agencies, not to mention those from the other country itself. No problem!...

....Knowing all of this, is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!

Presidential Harassment!
Trump has been known to give away previously classified information to the Russians (without even any real provocation) during a meeting in the white house. He has given information about American spy satellite capabilities to Iran, for no other reason than as a taunt.

Yes, we believe that Trump would say questionable things on a phone call, even on a phone call that had others listening in.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #2488
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump has been known to give away previously classified information to the Russians (without even any real provocation) during a meeting in the white house. He has given information about American spy satellite capabilities to Iran, for no other reason than as a taunt.

Yes, we believe that Trump would say questionable things on a phone call, even on a phone call that had others listening in.

He also seems to be admitting that he would lie to foreign leaders while talking to them to gain an advantage.

"is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #2489
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why would Putin get the Mueller report? He doesn't need it... He already knows what he did to get Trump installed as president, and what Trump has done to cover up his crimes.
It's his After Action Report on what and what not to do to meddle with the 2020 election.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #2490
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Pretty soon they'll be calling him 'father Donald', or 'uncle Trump, or 'duce'.

What is it with cults of personality? He's just a man, and a poor excuse for one at that. Why can't people see through his act? Or do they not care?
This question has always fascinated me. What IS it about Trump they find attractive? Forget about his policies; I'm talking the adoration of the man. I watch people in his rallies and it's almost like they're having a religious experience. They could start talking in tongues at any moment. Get rid of the MAGA hats and TRUMP signs and they could be mistaken for being at an evangelical megachurch service.

Trump is an extreme narcissist, pathological liar, bully, serial adulterer, who has bragged about being able to grab women's genitals because, as a celebrity, he can get away with anything. Exactly what is it about him that inspires such adoration? These things don't attract me to him, they repulse me. Bigly.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #2491
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why didn't Trump become the head of a Megachurch? He would have been so much happier, and so would we.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #2492
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This question has always fascinated me. What IS it about Trump they find attractive? Forget about his policies; I'm talking the adoration of the man. I watch people in his rallies and it's almost like they're having a religious experience. They could start talking in tongues at any moment. Get rid of the MAGA hats and TRUMP signs and they could be mistaken for being at an evangelical megachurch service.

Trump is an extreme narcissist, pathological liar, bully, serial adulterer, who has bragged about being able to grab women's genitals because, as a celebrity, he can get away with anything. Exactly what is it about him that inspires such adoration? These things don't attract me to him, they repulse me. Bigly.
He's not even attractive. I give him a 3.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #2493
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He's rich, seemingly living a great life. Plays a bunch of golf, has an attractive, much younger wife. His lifestyle is aspirational for his base.

For a poor redneck with a crappy life and a fat ugly shrew for a wife, his lifestyle would be like winning the lottery.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #2494
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

This question has always fascinated me. What IS it about Trump they find attractive? Forget about his policies; I'm talking the adoration of the man. I watch people in his rallies and it's almost like they're having a religious experience.
I remember a clip from John Oliver's show Last Week Tonight that showed a prt of Trump's rally. He was riffing on Marco Rubio (talking about how much he sweats.... "Look at me, I'm Rubio!" while throwing water around.) John Oliver said that that was subjectively funny.

I have never seen a complete Trump rally, but its possible that his material provides enough humor for his voter base to make the experience enjoyable. (Of course, giving political power to someone just because they make people laugh is a poor choice...)

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #2495
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He's rich, seemingly living a great life.
Well, he appears rich. Whether he is or not is debatable. He might actually be completely penniless, and only maintains his lifestyle by going deeper and deeper into debt.
Quote:
For a poor redneck with a crappy life and a fat ugly shrew for a wife, his lifestyle would be like winning the lottery.
Someone once provided a quote:

"Trump is a poor person's idea of what a rich person is like" (or something to that effect)

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #2496
Lurch
Muse

Such devotion to a person, even if a good person, is creepy at best, calamitous at worst. It ties in with an unskeptical mindset, a ready willingness to accept much on faith. Such a needy clinging makes such folk ready tools for an unscrupulous manipulator. See the followers of Jim Jones or Adolf Hitler for two warnings from history of that which can result when such mindless relinquishing of the self to a leader/savior/messiah is established.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #2497
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Such devotion to a person, even if a good person, is creepy at best, calamitous at worst. It ties in with an unskeptical mindset, a ready willingness to accept much on faith. Such a needy clinging makes such folk ready tools for an unscrupulous manipulator. See the followers of Jim Jones or Adolf Hitler for two warnings from history of that which can result when such mindless relinquishing of the self to a leader/savior/messiah is established.
I HATE personalty cults. They never end well.
And the right has no monopoly on them. I give you Uncle Joe and Mao as examples.
One reason I am really skeptical about Bernie Sanders is he seems to be getting a personality cult going.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #2498
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well, he appears rich. Whether he is or not is debatable. He might actually be completely penniless, and only maintains his lifestyle by going deeper and deeper into debt.

"Trump is a poor person's idea of what a rich person is like" (or something to that effect)
Good point about him appearing to be rich.

I've heard that he's the weak guy's idea of a strong man but not the other.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #2499
plague311
Great minds think...

I've heard the EPA is going to fine San Francisco:

Quote:
Trump said the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will give San Francisco a notice related to the “tremendous” amount of pollution flowing into the ocean from the city’s storm sewers, Reuters reported. He also said hypodermic needles also littered the sewers there and were polluting the sea. Trump did not mention the source of the information.
Can he do that? Is that something that is within their power? Most people would try to resolve the homelessness problem, I would think.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #2500
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He also seems to be admitting that he would lie to foreign leaders while talking to them to gain an advantage.

"is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!"
To be honest, here I think Trump is just acting like almost every national leader does.
And is there a national leader who does not lie on occasion of other national leaders to gain an advantage?

Problem is Trump is so damn stupid about it, and he lies to other leaders when there is no advantage to be gained.
And of course you don't blurt out that is what you are doing.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #2501
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The EPA pulling California's waiver doesn't necessarily change anything.

California is still free to exercise its right to have standards for a vehicle to be licensed to drive on streets California owns. This waiver would technically allow a dealer to sell a car that meets federal standards but not California standards. The purchaser of that car would still not be able to license the vehicle or get it to pass an inspection. Ergo there would be no market for that car in the state.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #2502
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Good point about him appearing to be rich.

I've heard that he's the weak guy's idea of a strong man but not the other.

That was probably me, but I didn't make it up, I stole it from a poster called jfb over on Apollohoax.net

"Way too many Americans want a strong daddy figure to make all the scary monsters go away, and for some incomprehensible reason they have decided that's Trump. He's a poor man's idea of a rich man, a stupid man's idea of a smart man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #2503
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Of course, we know that he has had multiple private conversations with Putin. I guess this is where he can say (and probably has said) something inappropriate.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #2504
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

He hates the right people.

It's clearly not his right-wing policies, or appointing of right-wing judges. Anyone with an R next to their name in the president's seat could do that.

So, you correctly ask, what is the unique feature of Trump they love? What does Trump have that no other right wing candidate does? Racism is a good start (although it's not like other GOP candidates aren't, they just don't wear it on their sleeve to the same extent)
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #2505
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm curious what the opinions are here: Now that the initial reports are public, do you think there's a significant chance that the administration can still bury the details and no real govt action will be taken (outside of the Trump toadies in govt)?

Or is this one of those things where now that we know there's a cat in the bag it's only a matter of time before the actual process begins to remedy whatever the whistle blower whistled about?
Not sure I follow that.

However, we should start a pool:

Russia/more funds cut from something to do with Ukraine
Turkey/ ???
and so on.

My bet is on Russia/and Trump made a blatant offer of something in exchange for help getting him re-elected, then he laughed pretending it was only a joke when it obviously wasn't.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #2506
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He hates the right people.

It's clearly not his right-wing policies, or appointing of right-wing judges. Anyone with an R next to their name in the president's seat could do that.

So, you correctly ask, what is the unique feature of Trump they love? What does Trump have that no other right wing candidate does? Racism is a good start (although it's not like other GOP candidates aren't, they just don't wear it on their sleeve to the same extent)
Sticking it to the Libs and insulting Democrats?

The image I saw of a Trump supporter with a T-Shirt that said "Better to be Russian that a Democrat" pretty much illustrates the ******-up moral compass of devoted Trump supporters. These idiots have no idea what they are saying; of what it would really be like to be a Russian citizen.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #2507
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Law allows the whistleblower to contact the Congressional Intelligence Committee directly if he is dissatisfied with the process, and it would be difficult if not impossible for Trump or any of his corrupt toadies to prevent him doing so (short of killing him or illegally detaining him) Adam Schiff is already in contact with the whistleblower's lawyer - he should encourage him to come forward.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #2508
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course. It's easier to deny things after they're done than to control them.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #2509
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The Law allows the whistleblower to contact the Congressional Intelligence Committee directly if he is dissatisfied with the process, and it would be difficult if not impossible for Trump or any of his corrupt toadies to prevent him doing so (short of killing him or illegally detaining him) Adam Schiff is already in contact with the whistleblower's lawyer - he should encourage him to come forward.
Do you have a citation for that?

Do you know if the entire committee learns of the whistleblower's identity, or just the chair, or ???

ETA: citation for the whistleblower contacting congress directly

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; Today at 01:31 PM. Reason: clarity
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:43 PM   #2510
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I've heard the EPA is going to fine San Francisco:
Trump said the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will give San Francisco a notice related to the “tremendous” amount of pollution flowing into the ocean from the city’s storm sewers, Reuters reported. He also said hypodermic needles also littered the sewers there and were polluting the sea. Trump did not mention the source of the information.

Can he do that? Is that something that is within their power? Most people would try to resolve the homelessness problem, I would think.
My question is whether Trump and the EPA are being consistent with their treatment of San Francisco, or whether they are singling out the "liberal" city for harassment.

After all, there are probably dozens of cities in coastal areas in states that are solidly republican. You would figure at least a few of them have pollution issues on par with San Francisco.

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #2511
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not sure I follow that.

However, we should start a pool:

Russia/more funds cut from something to do with Ukraine
Turkey/ ???
and so on.

My bet is on Russia/and Trump made a blatant offer of something in exchange for help getting him re-elected, then he laughed pretending it was only a joke when it obviously wasn't.

I'm not asking for opinions on what the nature of the offense is (though I am not opposed to that and I appreciate you sharing yours), I'm just asking for opinions on whether this (whatever "this" really is) will (finally!) be too big to contain or if it will just get swept aside like everything else.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #2512
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Do you have a citation for that?

Do you know if the entire committee learns of the whistleblower's identity, or just the chair, or ???

ETA: citation for the whistleblower contacting congress directly
Let's start a betting pool as to how long until the whistleblower gets labelled "Deep Throat 2".

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #2513
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Thanks! I'm ignorant of laws regarding whistleblowing and this is exactly the sort of response I was hoping to hear!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #2514
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The image I saw of a Trump supporter with a T-Shirt that said "Better to be Russian that a Democrat" pretty much illustrates the ******-up moral compass of devoted Trump supporters. These idiots have no idea what they are saying; of what it would really be like to be a Russian citizen.
SHades of "Better Hitler Then Blum".

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #2515
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Hell, two years ago Texans, fer gawd's sake Texans, were sporting "Better Red than Dem" shirts and posters.
It's Putin's anti-gay policies that give them a chubbie.

Of course... these are the same kind of "Christians" who would gang rape a gay man while taunting "f'n queer".
Go figure.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; Today at 02:23 PM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #2516
DallasDad
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's start a betting pool as to how long until the whistleblower gets labelled "Deep Throat 2".

Deeper Throat.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #2517
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Unfortunately in the current regime it's not at all clear whether this whistleblower will be able to benefit from the whistleblower protections he should be entitled to, since it's the executive branch of the government that's responsible for enforcing them, and this entire administration is bent on punishing perceived disloyalty to the president.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #2518
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Hell, two years ago Texans, fer gawd's sake Texans, were sporting "Better Red than Dem" shirts and posters.

Of course... these are the same kind of "Christians" who would gang rape a gay man while taunting "f'n queer".
Go figure.
#NotAllTexans

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
Deeper Throat.
I think that was the third one. I'll check my VCR tapes to be sure, though.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:43 PM   #2519
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
#NotAllTexans.

Of course not. But ANY embracing that message back then pretty well stunned me. Only (?) thing worse are the end times fanatics.
These are truly odd times.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:46 PM   #2520
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post

Go figure.
they have to get some gay action somewhere.
But they're totally not gay!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics