IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th January 2021, 08:20 AM   #921
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It means "cry and shout about the deficit when a Democrat is in charge”, right?
Oh I expect literally every single Republican to check the balance for the first time in 4 years in about... oh 7 days or so and suddenly be shocked, shocked, SHOCKED I SAY! about the state of things.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:21 AM   #922
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh I expect literally every single Republican to check the balance for the first time in 4 years in about... oh 7 days or so and suddenly be shocked, shocked, SHOCKED I SAY! about the state of things.
And the only possible way to deal with it is to reduce spending on social services.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:25 AM   #923
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well it’s on them, even though they’ll blame Dems from here on out.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:33 AM   #924
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It means "cry and shout about the deficit when a Democrat is in charge”, right?
That too.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:34 AM   #925
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
There are lots of laws around awarding public contracts. He just handed them a hefty settlement if they lose a bid, now.
Yeah, somehow I doubt "to get back at them for kicking Trump off their platforms!" is something that would fly very well in a court of law.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:19 AM   #926
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And the only possible way to deal with it is to reduce spending on social services.

Um.

I'm not aware of any state that has any investments in the stock market.
States generally borrow money and issue bonds. They do have specialty
portfolios. I think Florida has millions in an insurance fund for hurricanes.
And pension investments in the billions for the retirements of government
employees such as the police and teachers. But these pools of money have
rules requiring prudent investing in a diversified portfolio that I don't think
the governors can touch.

Assuming they could divest from the top 100 companies in the market,
then what returns does the rest of the market generate?

I'm imagining a Dilbert cartoon in which the boss tells the workers due
to divestment in top performing stocks that their retirement will consist
of a single can of cat food and they only get to lick the side of the can
two times a day.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:31 AM   #927
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Matt Gaetz tweets

@mattgaetz
Every Republican Legislature should do this!
Great work, Representative Fine.
Quote Tweet

Randy Fine
@VoteRandyFine
This morning I asked the Governor and Cabinet to divest the state from Amazon, Twitter, Apple, Google, and Facebook. They may get to decide who they do business with. So do we. @Fla_Pol
As several people pointed out, these were posted on Twitter. With iPhones.

Idiots
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:13 AM   #928
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
For starters, will any Florida residents care that the state of Florida stops advertising on Facebook, Google and Twitter?

If I were in Florida, I think my first question would be, why are they spending funds on Facebook, Google and Twitter?

And, OK, if they want stop ordering stuff from Amazon...sure, inconvenience others and pay more. Gotcha.

Similarly, I wonder if those Apple people working in government are anxious to switch to PCs....
Just to poke at Amazon and Google among those - if I understand the situation correctly, many government organizations use cloud, hosting, and basic services like those.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:39 AM   #929
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just to poke at Amazon and Google among those - if I understand the situation correctly, many government organizations use cloud, hosting, and basic services like those.
Sure, but I don't think that is what they were talking about. Most state retirement systems have billions invested in the market. When these guys talk about divesting, they mean the stock market. It's the only place states invest.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #930
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Even Mickey, Pluto and the duck that shares Trump's first name have turned on Trump:

https://thehill.com/regulation/busin...ho-objected-to
The religious right has hated Disney for decades anyhow.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:58 AM   #931
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The religious right has hated Disney for decades anyhow.

Have you seen some of the animated series they produce these days? People were screaming bloody murder when "The Owl House" was announced, saying that it would teach young girls to become witches. When the two female leads began developing romantic feelings for each other? Heads exploded.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:58 PM   #932
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump concerned about the State Of The Union, sorry, I misspelled his dwindling business "empire":

Senior Trump adviser tells Acosta (CNN) Trump is "clueless what any of this means internationally or historically," but Trump has told aides and advisers he does fear what the violence at the Capitol has done to his businesses and "the long-term brand."

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...688594949?s=19
Old 13th January 2021, 02:30 PM   #933
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Trump concerned about the State Of The Union, sorry, I misspelled his dwindling business "empire":

Senior Trump adviser tells Acosta (CNN) Trump is "clueless what any of this means internationally or historically," but Trump has told aides and advisers he does fear what the violence at the Capitol has done to his businesses and "the long-term brand."

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...688594949?s=19
Of course Trump is worried about his "brand".

Yeah in the scope of things, this is of major concern.

From my count (which I'm sure is probably not correct but is probably close) there is currently 27 buildings named after Trump throughout the world 9 of which he owns. The rest have licensing deals to use the Trump name. 17 Golf courses 10 of which he owns.

My guess is many of those that have licensing deals to use his name will be seeking to terminate that relationship.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:37 PM   #934
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Of course Trump is worried about his "brand".

Yeah in the scope of things, this is of major concern.

From my count (which I'm sure is probably not correct but is probably close) there is currently 27 buildings named after Trump throughout the world 9 of which he owns. The rest have licensing deals to use the Trump name. 17 Golf courses 10 of which he owns.

My guess is many of those that have licensing deals to use his name will be seeking to terminate that relationship.
Can we, in the spirit of healing and unity, offer some thoughts and prayers?
Old 13th January 2021, 03:03 PM   #935
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Funny.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:27 PM   #936
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just heard Trump's speech. I just about threw up on the hypocrisy.
Obviously tyring to avoid conviction.
And I really doubt this will calm down his followers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:32 PM   #937
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I had to wonder who that guy was giving the speech. Again I had to wonder if it was a Deep Fake. If that had been said a couple months ago, or even after the riots started, there might not have been the inevitable march to Impeachment, even with leaving out the stuff he should have said. There was even one point where I said, "OK... stop talking now." But he kept going, bitching about being censored by social media and totally negated the first part of his speech. What is this "movement" and "agenda" he's talking about? I expect something to leak out within a couple hours that shows his "true" feelings.

Quote:
"I cannot emphasize that there must be no violence, no lawbreaking, and no vandalism of any kind."
An actual quote. Perhaps there is an unintentional missing word ("I cannot emphasize enough..."), but considering his mastery at dog-whistling I think that's the quote that his followers are going to pay attention to.

Last edited by alfaniner; 13th January 2021 at 04:42 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #938
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
An actual quote. Perhaps there is an unintentional missing word ("I cannot emphasize enough..."), but considering his mastery at dog-whistling I think that's the quote that his followers are going to pay attention to.
Dogwhistling does not matter. They will read his words in way that they want and suits them, regardless of what he actually says.

Things went so far already that even sincerest call from Trump for stopping it all, conceding his loss, saying all that stolen election stuff is made up nonsense and all of that (impossibility, but just accept it for sake of argument) will be ignored or read in way that suits trumpista degenerates.

It is too late. This part of USA's history enters it's last chapter. Whatever happens in next days, months and years, after all is said, done and killed, USA will be very different country.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:50 PM   #939
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump sounded like he was giving that statement at gunpoint; like a hostage tape.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:51 PM   #940
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This will have no impact on his rabid followers.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:55 PM   #941
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I had to wonder who that guy was giving the speech. Again I had to wonder if it was a Deep Fake. If that had been said a couple months ago, or even after the riots started, there might not have been the inevitable march to Impeachment, even with leaving out the stuff he should have said. There was even one point where I said, "OK... stop talking now." But he kept going, bitching about being censored by social media and totally negated the first part of his speech. What is this "movement" and "agenda" he's talking about? I expect something to leak out within a couple hours that shows his "true" feelings.
Quote:
Quote:
"I cannot emphasize that there must be no violence, no lawbreaking, and no vandalism of any kind."
Well, the hope four years ago was that Trump would become Presidential as a result of his election then; a week left in his term, and he almost got there.

turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #942
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Rumors that a whole slew of pardons will happen soon. One of Trump's favorite tactics is to do something outrageous to change the subject.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #943
slyjoe
Master Poster

Rumors that a whole slew of pardons will happen soon. One of Trump's favorite tactics is to do something outrageous to change the subject.
Hey, there's still time for a third impeachment.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #944
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

bomb Iran?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:30 PM   #945
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I had to wonder who that guy was giving the speech. Again I had to wonder if it was a Deep Fake. ....
Well let's get that rumor cooking!

Trump's minions can't trust Trump images on the TV news, on the Net, everywhere Trump tries to get his words out, they are labeled deep fakes.

Bwawawawawawawawawa
Old 13th January 2021, 05:53 PM   #946
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh he's likely going to issue some outrageous pardons but not likely issue any to the mob that attacked the Capitol. Think about how that affects his own Senate trial.

Let see, I invited the mob, I incited the mob, then told the mob that I love them and that they are very special followed by pardoning them.

But yeah I'm innocent. This was all perfect.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:17 PM   #947
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Say, in that almost-presidential speech Trump gave today, he didn't, by any wild chance, happen to mention to the people he was trying to talk out of any future violence that the reason he'd given them for the past violence was wrong, did he? You know, that whole "stolen election! only way we can lose is if we get cheated! " pot that he's been stirring for two months four years?

Old 13th January 2021, 06:45 PM   #948
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Oh he's likely going to issue some outrageous pardons but not likely issue any to the mob that attacked the Capitol. Think about how that affects his own Senate trial.

Let see, I invited the mob, I incited the mob, then told the mob that I love them and that they are very special followed by pardoning them.

But yeah I'm innocent. This was all perfect.
And it's not like he give a damn about the captured mob members. Loyalty is an one way street with Trump: flows uphill, but not downhill.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:46 PM   #949
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Say, in that almost-presidential speech Trump gave today, he didn't, by any wild chance, happen to mention to the people he was trying to talk out of any future violence that the reason he'd given them for the past violence was wrong, did he? You know, that whole "stolen election! only way we can lose is if we get cheated! " pot that he's been stirring for two months four years?
No, he did not, and almost every commentator on it I have heard has pointed that out.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:55 PM   #950
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Just noticed in one of the Twitter feeds above:

Breaking: Lauren Boebert’s Twitter account has been locked until after the inauguration!

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/stat...39033848471552

She's this one.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA: Apparently this has been reversed. What a pity.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:03 PM   #951
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I get the impression that the Democrats are unlikely to remain a single party for anywhere near that long, though.

Dave
Huh? What gives you that impression? The Dems have always had a big tent which necessarily means that some subgroup will be whining about something and yet they've held together. What's changed?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:05 PM   #952
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

No, he did not, and almost every commentator on it I have heard has pointed that out.
Yeah, it seems like a pretty obvious point, doesn't it? Wonder why it didn't occur to Trump? Oh, I know- because he doesn't believe it. And if he didn't mention it because he doesn't believe it, you can be pretty sure that a good many of the deep-down idiots who worship him will see the lack of an admission necessary to give his speech any real force as a reason to think he didn't mean any of it- they don't need a literal wink-and-nod.

Last edited by turingtest; 13th January 2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old 13th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #953
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And it's not like he give a damn about the captured mob members. Loyalty is an one way street with Trump: flows uphill, but not downhill.
Of course not.

I would bet a thousand dollars today that Trump will not pardon one of them.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:02 PM   #954
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump sounded like he was giving that statement at gunpoint; like a hostage tape.
The financial threats and consequences that he's facing now are probably effectively the same, for him.

Oh. And just in case anyone didn't see this coming from a mile away...

Trump demands his staff not pay Giuliani's legal fees for helping him try to overturn the election: report

At least not without personal approval. Rudy didn't exactly do a good job, though, which Trump's used as a pretext to stiff lots of people.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th January 2021 at 10:04 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:11 PM   #955
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The financial threats and consequences that he's facing now are probably effectively the same, for him.

Trump demands his staff not pay Giuliani's legal fees for helping him try to overturn the election: report

At least not without personal approval. Rudy didn't exactly do a good job, though, which Trump's used as a pretext to stiff lots of people.
I have pointed out he owes hundreds of millions of dollars in loans and from his buisness failures from before he was President, and on Jan.21 they are going to start to come around to collect their money.
One theory is avoiding paying his debts is a major reason he ran for President.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:23 PM   #956
dirtywick
Master Poster

well, i mean, he didn't do a good job
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:29 PM   #957
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Classic Trump.

Rudy Giuliani is getting the star treatment. I've been wondering if Trump is going to give his lawyer the pardon Rudy has been angling for. Now it looks like the Donald is preparing a special place on the asphalt bus track for Rudy.

Rudy is in as much even more legal trouble than Trump.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:34 PM   #958
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Ok.

I think he can go **** himself. Please FSM let him go bankrupt for real, soon.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:41 PM   #959
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Classic Trump.

Rudy Giuliani is getting the star treatment. I've been wondering if Trump is going to give his lawyer the pardon Rudy has been angling for. Now it looks like the Donald is preparing a special place on the asphalt bus track for Rudy.

Rudy is in as much even more legal trouble than Trump.
So Trump is stiffing Rudy like he has done so many other lawyers........
I am getting a great of amusement out of this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:58 PM   #960
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump is stiffing Rudy like he has done so many other lawyers........
I am getting a great of amusement out of this.
Rudy was once known as America's mayor. What a tumble he's taken.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics