IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th October 2010, 10:05 PM   #361
elipse
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
I first read the book long before the movie was made. My edition had the "binding story" in red. I wish I still had that edition, but I think it went to my ex-husband in the divorce.
Ooh, nice. I had a second-hand beat-up mass market paperback. I tossed it when I found the 25th anniversary edition, all beautiful and hardbacked with a map of Guilder and Florin on the inside flaps.
Old 31st October 2010, 12:03 AM   #362
Floyt
Chordate

Location: Cape Town. Still not mugged. Plenty of chameleons though, and stepped on a cobra.
Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
The Princess Bride
Zodiac
Things Fall Apart
The Neverending Story
I believe I found my antithesis

The Neverending Story was the first hardcover I ever bought (first German edition with the two-colored print - saved a lot of pocket money for it) and I must have read it a dozen times by now. Zodiac is about to fall apart from re-reading. Yes, the prota is a total *******, but that's by design, and the language is fantastic. The Princess Bride I found charming and intricate. I haven't read the fourth one mentioned, but extrapolating I'm going to assume I would love it!

If I and BlackCat ever were in the same room we would probably repel like magnets and end up pinned to opposite walls
Old 31st October 2010, 01:05 AM   #363
Aitch

Originally Posted by Floyt View Post
If I and BlackCat ever were in the same room we would probably repel like magnets and end up pinned to opposite walls
Nah; opposites attract. You'd probably end up as one of those couples that enjoy arguing all day 'cause they know they are going to have so much fun making up at bed-time.
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 08:08 AM   #364
Roxane
Dearly Insane

Originally Posted by elipse View Post
Did you create a character to put yourself in the story? I totally did that.

Humans are such dorks at 13...
Of course not! that would just... Ok. Yes.

Actually, since they were inspired by D&D, I feel that this behavior is entirely appropriate.

Hawk one - I prefer to think of myself as the ultimate proof that humans have a soul, because otherwise, people would not feel a part of it die when I'm posting.

Hawk one lights up my jar of cranberry juice.
Roxane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 10:14 AM   #365
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roxane View Post
Of course not! that would just... Ok. Yes.

Actually, since they were inspired by D&D, I feel that this behavior is entirely appropriate.
"Inspired"? You could hear the dice roll in some scenes.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 01:06 PM   #366
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
"Inspired"? You could hear the dice roll in some scenes.
IIRC the Dragonlance D&D Modules actually preceded the novels. I still like the original Weis and Hickman books, but the few Dragonlance books written by other authors that I have read were pretty dreadful.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 01:45 PM   #367
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by elipse View Post
[re: Geek Love]I just finished this. Quite a satisfying book. I had book deja vu the entire time, even though I am sure I've never read it and never found a scene that I remembered reading.
That's odd. I had the same thing the first time I read it. I even paused and tried to figure out if she was plagiarizing but couldn't find any definite link. Finally decided that the narrative style reminded me of books like Wilder's Little House series. The adults are doing all these odd things that, through the eyes of the child narrator, are taken as normal.

Speaking of books for children, growing up in the early 1970's meant a shelf full of horrible age-appropriate, condescending, sex-ed books. I never forgave my mother for gifting me with What's Happening to Me? instead of the Judy Blume books I'd so carefully and craftily suggested.
Old 31st October 2010, 03:44 PM   #368
oggiesnr
Critical Thinker

... the Thomas Covenant books (I slogged through the first three because I thought he´d have to improve sooner or later).
Seconded!

Steve

Edited to add - I could also make a strong case for Lisa Alther's "Kinflicks" who my then girlfriend said was the most brilliant book she'd ever read! MInd you we were both young at the time.

Last edited by oggiesnr; 31st October 2010 at 03:46 PM.
oggiesnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 03:53 PM   #369
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
Speaking of books for children, growing up in the early 1970's meant a shelf full of horrible age-appropriate, condescending, sex-ed books. I never forgave my mother for gifting me with What's Happening to Me? instead of the Judy Blume books I'd so carefully and craftily suggested.
Well, should've lived here in Norway then. Our sex-ed books for kids had pictures of it all. At least the one my parents bought.

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 04:06 PM   #370
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
IIRC the Dragonlance D&D Modules actually preceded the novels. I still like the original Weis and Hickman books, but the few Dragonlance books written by other authors that I have read were pretty dreadful.
Legacy of Steel by, IIRC, Mary Herbert was decent. Haven´t read any of other "third party" novels, only some short story collections, the content of which ranged from good to bad - except for "The First Gully Dwarf Resistance Movement", which was hilarious.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 04:29 PM   #371
Flashman
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Aurelian View Post
Wuthering Heights. GACK!
Philistine! Wuthering Heights ranks among my favourites.
Flashman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2010, 06:25 PM   #372
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Yikes! I don't know why that was given to you: You are clearly not part of the target audience for a book like that!

At least this one sounds funny! Another candidate for book-based RiffTrax, I think.

------

I thought a little about how "RiffTrax for Books" might work: You get a set of transparancies that fit over each page in a book. Each one has commentary printed on it, mostly in the margins, that points to the parts of the book they refer to.

What does everyone think of that?
Actually, it is called "sporking" and there is a community out there. Some examples:

This is done in the traditional format.

For copyrighted books, however, this is the necessary format.

And as for Ishmael, a friend tried to get to read it, but I managed to read some bad reviews beforehand.

The worst books I've read feature rape and paedophilia. I don't want to name them, and you don't want to know them.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 31st October 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2010, 07:56 AM   #373
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by oggiesnr View Post
Seconded!
FLAGHLAGL

What is with all you people that have no taste in fantasy? I'm dying over here because I just finished reading Against All Things Ending and I don't want to wait for the next book! How can you not like Thomas Covenant?

Seriously. I know it's subjective and everything, but... come on now.

Old 1st November 2010, 09:26 AM   #374
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
How can you not like Thomas Covenant?
Simple. The main character rapes a girl. The book gets put down and never looked at again.

I prefer protagonists that I can cheer for, instead of ones that need to be put down.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:52 AM   #375
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Simple. The main character rapes a girl and is explicitly stated not to feel like he did anything wrong. The book gets put down and never looked at again.

I prefer protagonists that I can cheer for, instead of ones that need to be put down.
Fixed that for you.

If that rape thing wasn´t enough, he whines, whines, whines, at least when he isn´t busy insisting that all this isn´t really happening. I mean, we´ve all seen some anti-heroes in our day, but even Anakin Skywalker didn´t have to be driven from page to page with a cattle prod.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:42 AM   #376
Madalch
The Jester

Fixed that for you.
Thanks. It's been twenty years since I read it, so some bits have been swept into the dustbin of memory.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:52 AM   #377
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If that rape thing wasn´t enough, he whines, whines, whines, at least when he isn´t busy insisting that all this isn´t really happening.
I know. Very annoying. But then, I found all the other characters equally annoying. It seemed like everybody else was either a magical environmentalist who looked down on anybody who didn't spend every minute of every day helping the environment, or was a member of some weird culture with weird attitudes that got super-offended when outsiders didn't share their values or immediately convert to them. Like the horse people who got so huffy when he suggested riding the horses. They got more offended about being asked that question than anybody did about the rape. There didn't seem to be a single character with a sense of humor.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:54 AM   #378
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
FLAGHLAGL

What is with all you people that have no taste in fantasy? I'm dying over here because I just finished reading Against All Things Ending and I don't want to wait for the next book! How can you not like Thomas Covenant?

Seriously. I know it's subjective and everything, but... come on now.

I never read the original trilogy. One summer, when I was home alone all day, reading several books a week, I picked up the boxed set of the Second Chronicles. They were pretty boring. I wouldn't have finished them if I had better things to do (and hadn't already shelled out the bucks for all three books).
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2010, 05:34 AM   #379
Wudang
BOFH

A heads up on the Wheel of Time - book 12 is not bad. I've been buying them when starved for something to read as I just wanted to know how the story worked out and I read real fast and can skim like crazy. Sanderson doesn't have some of the characters quite right but the bloody story actually moves along. There's a lot less window dressing and a lot less of cold-blooded killers sweating in fear that a girl will be mean to them. It's not great (try say Wolfsangel instead) but it rises to being okay.
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:19 AM   #380
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Worst book I ever read:

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

Of course, I should have known. I mean... calling Leonardo by his secondary identifier (NOT his last name... it translates to: "from Venice," and people from his time never referred to him this way) should have clued me in, but it was soo popular I just had to go ahead and read it.

The guy absolutely butchered history, for one. Secondly, his writing style is completely uninspired and overly anal retentive in structure (compartmentalized).

Last edited by Manopolus; 2nd November 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:27 AM   #381
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post
(NOT his last name... it translates to: "from Venice," and people from his time never referred to him this way)
"from Vinci", actually. From Venice would be "da Venezia" or "da "Venecia".
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:14 AM   #382
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
"from Vinci", actually. From Venice would be "da Venezia" or "da "Venecia".
Ah, thanks for the correction. I knew he was from somewhere. Anyway, it's been a while since my art history courses... but I've forgotten more than Dan Brown ever knew.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:43 AM   #383
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

As the Daily Telegraph put it, that's like saying "What Would Of Nazareth Do?"

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:50 PM   #384
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Simple. The main character rapes a girl. The book gets put down and never looked at again.

Fixed that for you.
Only if "fixed" means "made it wrong".

One of the central points of the series is Covenant's attempt to make reparations for his rape of Lena. I have no idea where you got the idea that it explicitly stated that he didn't feel like he'd done anything wrong. His first act afterward was to vomit in disgust at his own actions, and he spent the entire rest of the series trying to fix what he'd done.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:42 PM   #385
Floyt
Chordate

Location: Cape Town. Still not mugged. Plenty of chameleons though, and stepped on a cobra.
I'm quite sure this has been posted before, being a classic - however, never let a feed line go hungry...

The Well-Tempered Plot Device, featuring Clench Racing!

Quote:
[...]
This is a social and competitive sport, that can be played over and over with renewed pleasure. Playing equipment currently on the market restricts the number of players to six, but the manufacturers may yet issue the series of proposed supplements to raise the maximum eventually to nine.

The rules are simple. Each player takes a different volume of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and at the word "go" all open their books at random and start leafing through, scanning the pages. The winner is the first player to find the word "clench". It's a fast, exciting game – sixty seconds is unusually drawn-out – and can be varied, if players get too good, with other favourite Donaldson words like wince, flinch, gag, rasp, exigency, mendacity, articulate, macerate, mien, limn, vertigo, cynosure.... It's a great way to get thrown out of bookshops. Good racing!
[...]
An alternative involving badger manure is given in the intro. May appeal to some.
Old 3rd November 2010, 04:56 AM   #386
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster

Wasn't there a novel about a woman growing up in the shadow of her mother and the seminal sex-ed book she wrote in the 70s?
Originally Posted by Hawk one View Post
Well, should've lived here in Norway then. Our sex-ed books for kids had pictures of it all. At least the one my parents bought.
Did they translate Per, Ida & Minimum or Filip frågar into norwegian?

The last book really zonked me in kindergarden. For some year I believed that a condom was made of glass, like a test tube.

Last edited by Father Dagon; 3rd November 2010 at 05:04 AM.
Father Dagon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:10 AM   #387
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Simple. The main character rapes a girl.
If the rape scene had been inserted into Donaldson's Gap series, it would probably have been one of the moral highlights.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:23 AM   #388
Jono
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post
Of course, I should have known. I mean... calling Leonardo by his secondary identifier
Well, doesn't everyone use "Da Vinci" for most parts?
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:02 AM   #389
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by Floyt View Post
I'm quite sure this has been posted before, being a classic - however, never let a feed line go hungry...

The Well-Tempered Plot Device, featuring Clench Racing!

An alternative involving badger manure is given in the intro. May appeal to some.

I laughed.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:30 PM   #390
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
Did they translate Per, Ida & Minimum or Filip frågar into norwegian?

The last book really zonked me in kindergarden. For some year I believed that a condom was made of glass, like a test tube.
Don't think so. The book was called "Få se!" (roughly translated: Lemme see!), and it was full of pictures of naked people. Including naked kids (in non-sexual positions). I think the main idea was to really go with the "nudity really is natural" route or something.

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:40 PM   #391
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster

Don't think so. The book was called "Få se!" (roughly translated: Lemme see!), and it was full of pictures of naked people. Including naked kids (in non-sexual positions). I think the main idea was to really go with the "nudity really is natural" route or something.
But isn't that idea self-contradictory? If you're too young or too old to be ashamed of your own nudity, you don't need that book. And if you're part of the target audience, the book won't help.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:47 PM   #392
bookitty
Philosopher

Ah, I know the book! The English version is titled Show Me! the photographs are by Will McBride and they are exceptional. McBride books are collected by aficionados of modern photography and Show Me! is his most popular work. At the same time, it's a bit tricky to have and to sell in the US. There's all those nekkid children and the text is in first person discussing a child's interest in human sexuality. So obviously anyone who buys it is a raging pedophile.

But controversy is a terrific draw. So, even though the book is not at all scarce, copies usually start at around $150 and a clean copy can go as high as $500.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:52 PM   #393
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
But isn't that idea self-contradictory? If you're too young or too old to be ashamed of your own nudity, you don't need that book. And if you're part of the target audience, the book won't help.
Well, it's more than 20 years since I "read" it, but I can say that it also was about dealing with your sexuality as you grow up. In explicit details. And at around 7 or so, many kids have already learned that nudity is... well, somehow bad.

Or something like that. I was 7-8, I can't really say I was that much into being all analytical and **** at that age. Well, I sort of was (or at least already starting to be pedantic), but it wasn't a well-developed sense.

Old 3rd November 2010, 12:54 PM   #394
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Ah, I know the book! The English version is titled Show Me! the photographs are by Will McBride and they are exceptional. McBride books are collected by aficionados of modern photography and Show Me! is his most popular work. At the same time, it's a bit tricky to have and to sell in the US. There's all those nekkid children and the text is in first person discussing a child's interest in human sexuality. So obviously anyone who buys it is a raging pedophile.
Yeah, I strongly, strongly doubt that book would've been made today. Those were more innocent days... Or at least less hysterical.... Or just hysterical about different things.

Old 3rd November 2010, 01:29 PM   #395
bookitty
Philosopher

Yeah, I strongly, strongly doubt that book would've been made today. Those were more innocent days... Or at least less hysterical.... Or just hysterical about different things.
True, even though it's an amazing book and completely age-appropriate. It was designed by psychologist Helga Fleischhauer-Hardt to be read piece-meal. To answer a specific question with a page or two, not to be flipped through in one sitting. Many years ago it was used in German schools for sex-ed classes but now it's on several different banned lists.

But this is an entirely different conversation. </derail>
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:37 PM   #396
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

I certainly don't count it as among the worst books I've read , so it is indeed a derail.

I don't recall any of the titles anymore, but my sister used to be part of a book club for... I don't know, 10-15? Anyway, let's just say that when the Babysitter Club series are amongst the better of the books she received, you get stuff that I thought was BS even back then.

Old 3rd November 2010, 05:18 PM   #397
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster

Well, it's more than 20 years since I "read" it, but I can say that it also was about dealing with your sexuality as you grow up. In explicit details. And at around 7 or so, many kids have already learned that nudity is... well, somehow bad.

Or something like that. I was 7-8, I can't really say I was that much into being all analytical and **** at that age. Well, I sort of was (or at least already starting to be pedantic), but it wasn't a well-developed sense.
And then the foggy clouds of puberty rolls in, shrouding everything in merciful darkness, nullifying the well-meaning intellectual discourses of childhood's eternal afternoon in the sun.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:11 AM   #398
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Worst book I haven't finished was the third one in Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series (and, by implication, the whole series). I reached an epiphany part way through the book when I realised that I wanted all the major characters to die, immediately if possible, and the story to come to an end, because not one of them had a single redeeming feature. As a reader, stopping reading the book was the best way to bring that about, so I did. I've never regretted the decision.

I carried on, through sheer bloody-mindedness, and finished the series. So I guess that's my entry for this thread.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2010, 01:33 AM   #399
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
My entry for worst book is The Alchemist, by Paul Coelho. It's excruciating, repetitive, boring clap-trap about a guy who wanders around looking for his purpose in life... or something.
Felt like a shaggy dog-story. The punchline can be summarized like this:
A man living in the village Foggy Hills is dreaming that under the biggest bridge in the big city, there's a treasure hidden. So the next day he travels to the city to hunt for the treasure. But when he's searching he slips and falls into the river, but are saved by a ferryman. The ferryman asks what he was doing there, and the villager tells him about his dream. The ferryman laugs and says that he had a similar dream this very night. It was about a village called Foggy Hills outside the city. And in the well in the middle of the village, there's a treasure hidden. But did he leave the city for a wild goose chase like this? So the villager thanks the ferryman for saving his life, returns to his village, search the well and finds the treasure.
Old 5th November 2010, 02:10 AM   #400
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I carried on, through sheer bloody-mindedness, and finished the series.
And did I make the right decision?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts