IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #441
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I’ve read and enjoyed a lot of Don DiLillo books, but his latest short novel The Silence was quite pointless. Avoid.
I misread the author name after seeing the quote that theprestige was replying to above yours
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:44 PM   #442
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I like many of Stephen King's works, but Insomnia, no joke, put me to sleep so many times I gave up on it.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:56 PM   #443
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
David Eddings was the sort of author I used to read on long train journeys. Bearable for that when I didn't want to engage my brain too much.

His range of plot was impressive

Universe makes two stones.

God finds stone
Boy finds stone
God threatens Boy's friend
Boy kills god
Boy lives forever
Another god finds stone
God threatens Boy's friend
Boy kills god
Boy lives forever
I think I had been weakened on Eddings for a while but when I read Redemption of Althalus I felt like he was just resting on his laurels. The book seemed so lazy. I never finished it.

As one more modern critic has stated about Edding's Belgariad: "It was like he just picked up a pile of basic fantasy tropes, shuffled them like a deck of cards and wrote a book based on how he dealt them out, and somehow made it work". But once he started repeating himself I was kind of done.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #444
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Anything Orson Scott Card wrote after "Ender's Game". Either boring and slow or just creepy (and not in a horror genre sort of way more in a what is with this guy and boys kind of way).
Old 12th January 2021, 10:48 PM   #445
EHocking
Philosopher

Harry Potter.
Read book one and wondered what 9 year old wrote it.

Yes I realise they were children’s books, but still.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:29 PM   #446
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I will go for Steven Donaldson's The One Tree, the second book in the second Thomas Covenant series. I enjoyed the first series a lot, and was delighted with The Wounded Land. In fact two others I worked with had also read these books, and we speculated for what seemed like forever on where the second Chronicles were going.

Publication seemed to be delayed (and now I know why - if this was what was finally published, I hate to think what all the earlier drafts must have looked like). And our work group, who all read it the week it was released, really did not talk about it at all. We just stopped because there was nothing left to talk about.

It really was that bad. I did read the last one, and it got a bit better, but I never even started the Third Chronicles.

As a postscript, I tried starting the Chronicles again a few years back and find them unreadable now. A bit like trying to re-read Burroughs, which I first started reading about 60 years ago. You cant go home again...

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:50 AM   #447
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Wurm by Matthew Costello. A biological horror story (which depends on every single professional being beyond incompetent) & a supernatural horror story smushed together with added contrived subplots such as a daughter who starts the book perched on the edge of a shark tank & seems to spend the book actively seeking out ever more effective ways of requiring rescuing. It's a shame as there is a decent story idea or two in there but I was constantly frustrated by the transparently stupid way everyone acted to serve the plot.

I wrote a full review on the book's Amazon page.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Wurm-Matt...0531116&sr=8-1

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:26 AM   #448
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Major necro here I know, but still.

I was... encouraged... to read Peig as Gaeilge when I was very young.

The only positive thing I can say about it is that that literary genre served to inspire Myles na gCopaleen's savage An Béal Bocht, which as a viciously funny parody of popular Irishry has made me laugh through several re-readings over the years.
In my day it was compulsory reading.

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Sorry bout the necro, but, I’ll put in:

Terry Goodkind’s “Wizard’s First Rule” which I’m reminded of cause it had a bit in the middle that was just a ripoff of that. The book had no nuance. It had anti-nuance. It was a terrible ‘edgy cartoon’ of a book.

I can’t see it appealing to anyone unless it’s literally the first time they ever saw any edgelord content and they’re too excited about it to notice how bad the book is. I’m always walking past gobs of goodkind books at the thrift shops, they must have sold like hotcakes, why.

Glad to see a few other ‘worst’ noms for the guy in the thread.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm a fan of Keith Laumer's "Bolo" stories, science fiction involving massive sapient AI tanks. Military action combined with examinations of what it means to be a person and the nature of courage and loyalty when someone is literally programmed to be brave and loyal.

Then I bought "Road to Damascus", a Bolo novel by John Ringo. Later in his career John Ringo, so the Bolo is secondary to a story in which everyone who agrees with his political views is a shining paragon of honor and nobility, while everyone who disagrees with his politics is a greedy, lazy, manipulative, cowardly, ignorant incompetent living off the work of the good people. The characters had to struggle to achieve two dimensions.
It's a fairly common problem. Kratman (who co-authored the Nazi apaologia Watch on the Rhine with Ringo) did a 'Bolo' story that was so bad he was refused permission to use the Laumer copyrighted bits and had to edit them it. It was a puerile polemic against his supposed enemies (gays, women, liberals, the usual suspects) with one character who was a pastiche of a poster at SpaceBattles who utterly humiliated him in a thread showing the errors in one of his books.
Typical Kratman basically.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:31 AM   #449
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Anything Orson Scott Card wrote after "Ender's Game". Either boring and slow or just creepy (and not in a horror genre sort of way more in a what is with this guy and boys kind of way).
Testify.

Don't forget the not-too-subtle proselytizing.

Although if you want creepy in a really unsavoury way, Piers Anthony is
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:32 AM   #450
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I'm quite pleased with my necro
Old 13th January 2021, 04:32 AM   #451
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
You don't like leather lesbians with magic torture dildos? What's wrong with you? I'm equally glad I read the whole thing (Well the main sequence anyway) there's something obsessively magnificent in the way he tortures the plot to illustrate his weirdo politics.
Someone needs a gift subscription to Kink.com.....

I've only seen the TV series that was based on Goodkind's books, "Legend of the Seeker".

A hero who can permanently enslave anyone she touches, to the point that they'll happily go to their death if she tells them to. A hero who was prepared to kill a helpless prisoner chained to a wall, feeding him to an undead creature he needed information from, and only didn't because someone else killed the prisoner first.
"Heroes"

That's not even getting into the magical brainwashing dominatrixes with their leather catsuits and magical torture weapons that looked suspiciously like sex toys.
It really needs a "special" pastiche...

Ah, a thread resurrected from the Golden Age of the forum. Good to see new responses. I’ll add mine when I think about it.
Thinking before you post? That is old.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:35 AM   #452
catsmate
No longer the 1

There
Old 13th January 2021, 07:01 AM   #453
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

It's a fairly common problem. Kratman (who co-authored the Nazi apaologia Watch on the Rhine with Ringo) did a 'Bolo' story that was so bad he was refused permission to use the Laumer copyrighted bits and had to edit them it. It was a puerile polemic against his supposed enemies (gays, women, liberals, the usual suspects) with one character who was a pastiche of a poster at SpaceBattles who utterly humiliated him in a thread showing the errors in one of his books.
Typical Kratman basically.
Kratman is the guy who spent multiple pages on that forum (vs the same poster from SpaceBattles) insisting that you could disable an M1 Tank by pouring bleach on the air intake and gassing out the crew. First claiming that since the gas masks soldiers wear couldn't handle ammonia then the ones in the tanks could not either. Then when someone pointed out how filters have charcoal, etc to filter these out he declared victory because those things 'absorb, not filter'.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:20 AM   #454
Finster
Graduate Poster

I’m embarrassed to admit I read some of the Gor books when I was a teenager (A looong time ago)
Old 13th January 2021, 07:44 AM   #455
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I've only read one OSC novel, but I recall liking it: Pastwatch.

Although if you want creepy in a really unsavoury way, Piers Anthony is
He was my favorite author when I was a young teen, but then later work started to creep me out. I've since been afraid to re-read my old favorites for fear they were creepier than I realized at the time.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:58 AM   #456
sts60
Illuminator

+1 and it reminded me that the sequels to Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama written by Gentry Lee then approved by a senile and/or heavily sedated Clarke really deserve a mention in this thread.
This deserves re-upping after more than a decade. The first sequel was bad. The second sequel was such a wretched abomination that I stopped reading it and briefly considered removing it from my memory with an ice pick.

Last edited by sts60; 13th January 2021 at 08:55 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:11 AM   #457
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
He was my favorite author when I was a young teen, but then later work started to creep me out. I've since been afraid to re-read my old favorites for fear they were creepier than I realized at the time.

I was going to mention Anthony, but his books really seem like low-hanging fruit. I wouldn't want to count how many books contain sexualized underage girls, adult men in relationships with underage girls, and people expressing the opinion that age of consent laws are arbitrary and unfair to people who love each other.
Then there's the whole "Adult Conspiracy" in Xanth, which when you remove the fantasy metaphors, becomes "children want to have sex, but adults won't tell them how it works".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:15 AM   #458
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Kratman is the guy who spent multiple pages on that forum (vs the same poster from SpaceBattles) insisting that you could disable an M1 Tank by pouring bleach on the air intake and gassing out the crew. First claiming that since the gas masks soldiers wear couldn't handle ammonia then the ones in the tanks could not either. Then when someone pointed out how filters have charcoal, etc to filter these out he declared victory because those things 'absorb, not filter'.
That was it, he whored himself to Jim Been and the rightist nutters for the book and an ex-USMC tanker tore him apart.

Not as bad as his 911 with drigibles though.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:31 AM   #459
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

That was it, he whored himself to Jim Been and the rightist nutters for the book and an ex-USMC tanker tore him apart.

Not as bad as his 911 with drigibles though.
Wut?
Old 13th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #460
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's a fairly common problem. Kratman (who co-authored the Nazi apaologia Watch on the Rhine with Ringo) ...

I've read all of the Legacy of the Aldenata/Posleen War novels (which got steadily worse over time). It was only a couple days ago that I realized the possible significance of the Darhel, the evil Space Bankers who are secretly plotting to enslave any humans who survive the Posleen invasion, having fox-like faces, including prominent muzzles. Evil bankers with protruding noses who are planning to enslave Humanity.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #461
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

I've read all of the Legacy of the Aldenata/Posleen War novels (which got steadily worse over time). It was only a couple days ago that I realized the possible significance of the Darhel, the evil Space Bankers who are secretly plotting to enslave any humans who survive the Posleen invasion, having fox-like faces, including prominent muzzles. Evil bankers with protruding noses who are planning to enslave Humanity.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
I've only read one Kratman novel (A Desert Called Peace) but I'm confident in saying you are not reading too much into it. He's a racist, misogynist nut case.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:50 AM   #462
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wut?
You dial the police and they send an airship.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:53 AM   #463
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by four elevener View Post
Stephen King's From a Buick 8.
The beginning and ending were good. The middle was long, repetitious, and boring (and silly and moronic and ....).

The Da Vinci Code is probably the most hyped, but worst book I read and finished.

I made the mistake of reading one of the books by some nobody that James Patterson slapped his name on. It was gawd-awful.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:19 AM   #464
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Eye of the Storm by James Forrest.

There used to be a sample chapter on Amazon so you could see for yourselves. It seems to be gone now, but if you read the fifth review down you'll get a notion of just how bad this novel is. The good reviews are from the author's on line buddies I think.

ETA: Randy Wayne White wrote a jacket blurb; I don't see how he could've if he read this book.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #465
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I keep trying to think of the worst Stephen King book I ever read. I've actually been pretty pleased with his body of work overall. Some of his later books faltered a bit in places, but none of them stand out in my mind as "... but this was the worst of them all."

Some of the later Dark Tower stuff was kinda weak. From a Buick 8 was okay, but somehow derivative.

I thought Bag of Bones was fine. I thought it was interesting that he explained his process of saving his weaker manuscripts, in case he ever needed to publish second-rate crap while on a deadline with writer's block. "Oh," I thought. "So that's what's going on here."

Then I read Dreamcatcher and thought, "now this is a bag of bones!" But I liked it. It's the kind of book you'd get if Stephen King's estate gave an unfinished manuscript to someone who had a knack for aping King's voice, and knew how to put in all of King's favorite tropes and themes. Not great, but not terrible, either. Gets weaker at the end. For some reason the movie adaptation really digs deep into that weak ending, and makes it even weaker, instead of doing a proper rewrite into something stronger.

Full disclosure: I stopped reading King almost entirely after Bag of Bones, with a couple exceptions here and there. I finished the Dark Tower, and thought the ending went a long way towards redeeming the weakness of the later books in that series. And then after the Dark Tower, I stopped reading King altogether. So I have no idea how good or bad any of his more recent stuff is. For me, it'll always be The Stand, the Derry-verse, and Dark Tower 1-3.

Last edited by theprestige; 13th January 2021 at 10:47 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #466
catsmate
No longer the 1

Wut?
Kratman wrote a chunk of awful fanfic after the 911 attacks where a Marry sue dealt with the "Muslim problem" by taking over Panama (where K lived) and turning it into a mercenary power.
Then he sold this crap to Jim Been and it became a series of execrable sci-fi novels called A Desert Called Peace, featuring every right-wing stereotype imaginable. The alt-911 attack involved Muslims crashing drigibles into office towers......
Old 13th January 2021, 02:44 PM   #467
catsmate
No longer the 1

I've only read one Kratman novel (A Desert Called Peace) but I'm confident in saying you are not reading too much into it. He's a racist, misogynist nut case.
He's also a simply terrible writer; he fails to manage to tell a story properly and well. He makes utterly amateurish mistakes.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:23 PM   #468
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
The beginning and ending were good. The middle was long, repetitious, and boring (and silly and moronic and ....).
I'm a massive Stephen King fan, but I just don't think he can write sci-fi, Tommy Knockers is meh, Under the Dome has one of the worst deus ex-machina endings ever. No-one can do everything...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:44 PM   #469
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I keep trying to think of the worst Stephen King book I ever read. I've actually been pretty pleased with his body of work overall. Some of his later books faltered a bit in places, but none of them stand out in my mind as "... but this was the worst of them all."

Some of the later Dark Tower stuff was kinda weak. From a Buick 8 was okay, but somehow derivative.

I thought Bag of Bones was fine. I thought it was interesting that he explained his process of saving his weaker manuscripts, in case he ever needed to publish second-rate crap while on a deadline with writer's block. "Oh," I thought. "So that's what's going on here."

Then I read Dreamcatcher and thought, "now this is a bag of bones!" But I liked it. It's the kind of book you'd get if Stephen King's estate gave an unfinished manuscript to someone who had a knack for aping King's voice, and knew how to put in all of King's favorite tropes and themes. Not great, but not terrible, either. Gets weaker at the end. For some reason the movie adaptation really digs deep into that weak ending, and makes it even weaker, instead of doing a proper rewrite into something stronger.

Full disclosure: I stopped reading King almost entirely after Bag of Bones, with a couple exceptions here and there. I finished the Dark Tower, and thought the ending went a long way towards redeeming the weakness of the later books in that series. And then after the Dark Tower, I stopped reading King altogether. So I have no idea how good or bad any of his more recent stuff is. For me, it'll always be The Stand, the Derry-verse, and Dark Tower 1-3.
I don't know how you feel about his short story collections, but at least with those, the (relative, in some cases) shortness of the stories means that even the bad ones don't take long to get past. Two of my favorite stories have been "The Things They Left Behind," from Just After Sunset, which I found pretty powerful, and "Premium Harmony," from The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which I admit made me laugh out loud at the ending and kind of ashamed I did. (Of his novels, I have to say Hearts In Atlantis was my favorite)

Oh, this is bad books, isn't it? Anything by Clive Cussler. I remember reading Raise The Titanic when I was young, and being entertained by it, though I can't recall any specifics about it. A few years ago, based on that vague memory, I gave Valhalla Rising a try, and, from that, have absolutely no desire to re-read Titanic to see why I found it entertaining. Gah, Valhalla was bad, bad, bad- a sample of the dialogue (from memory, may not be word-for-word, but close enough):

(Our hero, Dirk Pitt, is being introduced to some woman, a reporter or something)-
Quote:
"My name is Dirk Pitt." "Oh, such a strong name- I like it," she replied, eyeing him speculatively.
As I said, that's not word for word, but it's close enough to get the flavor. Honestly, every bit of dialogue in the book is like that, stilted readings from characters who know they're in a book. And at one point, the plot has Pitt and a sidekick or somebody stranded out in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no way and no hope of getting to some place they must be right away in order to save the day- no hope, that is, until a stranger with a fancy boat appears and takes them aboard to drop them off where they can get a plane. Who was that stranger?
Quote:
"My name," said he, with a twinkle in his eye, "is...Clive Cussler!"
Apparently, Cussler decided that his success from crap like Titanic excused him for any lapses into blatant "deus ex machina" nonsense.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 13th January 2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:31 PM   #470
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'm a massive Stephen King fan, but I just don't think he can write sci-fi, Tommy Knockers is meh, Under the Dome has one of the worst deus ex-machina endings ever. No-one can do everything...
I've only read a couple of Stephen King books. I wasn't impressed by the plots or the atmosphere but by the characterizations--he excels in constructing quite poignant life stories for minor characters, in a just a few paragraphs to show who they were right before they get brutally slaughtered by whatever-it-is. He did it several times in It with very minor characters; and it's having a window into the interior lives of these people that makes it matter when they get killed by the monster. King's victims aren't just some nameless rabble who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, they are complete human beings with their own unique lives and stories. I found that impressive, it's not something frequently found in the horror genre.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:06 AM   #471
malbui
Beauf

(Peig)

I didn't go through the Irish school system at all but I was raised in a family of... let's call them language enthusiasts.
Old 15th January 2021, 09:36 AM   #472
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've only read a couple of Stephen King books. I wasn't impressed by the plots or the atmosphere but by the characterizations--he excels in constructing quite poignant life stories for minor characters, in a just a few paragraphs to show who they were right before they get brutally slaughtered by whatever-it-is. He did it several times in It with very minor characters; and it's having a window into the interior lives of these people that makes it matter when they get killed by the monster. King's victims aren't just some nameless rabble who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, they are complete human beings with their own unique lives and stories. I found that impressive, it's not something frequently found in the horror genre.
He is a good story teller telling less than great stories.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:19 AM   #473
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Note on an earlier post -- Yesterday I Googled the author's name on my laptop just to see someone's review of his stuff. I have not looked at any of his books or info before.

Last night I'm browsing Facebook on my phone, and an ad for that author's book came up. I have all the standard ad-blocking-do-not-track stuff on my laptop, and I don't use the FB app on either (I access it through Firefox), and I don't stay signed in on Google. It's not unexpected, but it's still somewhat disturbing. FB and Google have their feelers into everything.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:31 AM   #474
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I don't know how you feel about his short story collections, but at least with those, the (relative, in some cases) shortness of the stories means that even the bad ones don't take long to get past. Two of my favorite stories have been "The Things They Left Behind," from Just After Sunset, which I found pretty powerful, and "Premium Harmony," from The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which I admit made me laugh out loud at the ending and kind of ashamed I did. (Of his novels, I have to say Hearts In Atlantis was my favorite)

Oh, this is bad books, isn't it? Anything by Clive Cussler. I remember reading Raise The Titanic when I was young, and being entertained by it, though I can't recall any specifics about it. A few years ago, based on that vague memory, I gave Valhalla Rising a try, and, from that, have absolutely no desire to re-read Titanic to see why I found it entertaining. Gah, Valhalla was bad, bad, bad- a sample of the dialogue (from memory, may not be word-for-word, but close enough):

(Our hero, Dirk Pitt, is being introduced to some woman, a reporter or something)-

As I said, that's not word for word, but it's close enough to get the flavor. Honestly, every bit of dialogue in the book is like that, stilted readings from characters who know they're in a book. And at one point, the plot has Pitt and a sidekick or somebody stranded out in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no way and no hope of getting to some place they must be right away in order to save the day- no hope, that is, until a stranger with a fancy boat appears and takes them aboard to drop them off where they can get a plane. Who was that stranger?

Apparently, Cussler decided that his success from crap like Titanic excused him for any lapses into blatant "deus ex machina" nonsense.
That's just small stuff for Clive Cussler. (He writes himself into lots of the books btw)
My two favourites are when Dirk Pitt sails from Cuba to the US in a bathtub and when the Secretary General of the UN thanks him for saving her life by having sex with him, and despite the fact that Dirk is in a hospital bed with three (I think) bullet holes in him it's the best ride she has ever had.

They just don't write books like that any more. Or at least I hope they don't, I rather suspect some Cussler spawn is still churning them out.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #475
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
(Peig)

I didn't go through the Irish school system at all but I was raised in a family of... let's call them language enthusiasts.
Old 15th January 2021, 05:27 PM   #476
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The Silmarillion. Like the Bible, but with more boring characters. I loved everything else by Tolkien, but struggled through a handful of pages only.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:38 AM   #477
malbui
Beauf

If my grandparents hadn’t been dead for decades I’d be suing them for abuse and childhood trauma.

Maybe I still could, in a kind of nod to Cré na Cille
Old 16th January 2021, 10:08 AM   #478
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I don't have a habit of reading bad books. I only read that hideous "And Another Thing" (which started this thread) because it claimed (falsely, I believe) to be a continuation of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

To this very day, I still keep the words "By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!" in my sig, on this forum.

A few years ago, before the movie came out, I actually read Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. It was, I think, a very bland and average book. NOT necessarily a terrible, awful book. But, certainly not a good one, either.
However, it might be the second-worst book I ever finished reading, despite its mediocrity placement in the quality scale. There are certainly plenty of books I started reading that were worse that RP1, but never finished them (other than... you know... that book... the one that started this thread).

I don't think I will be reading Ready Player Two. I hear it's a bit of a mess, even by Kline standards.

And, for the record, I do love VR technology. Just not stories that read more like plain, old lists of 80s references over and over and over again, with little else between them. That's all.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #479
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The Silmarillion. Like the Bible, but with more boring characters. I loved everything else by Tolkien, but struggled through a handful of pages only.
Remember in terms of his now mainstream non-academic works he only published three major pieces The Hobbit, TLOTR, and Farmer Giles and there was a reason for that.....

All the rest is stuff his son found shoved down the back of the sofa, lining the litter box and on a nail in the privy - and Christopher never saw a scribble he wouldn’t monetize. I was always surprised we didn’t get the “Notes to a Milkman 1934 - 1956. Volume 1” or the “Shopping Lists 1955-1964 Volume 8”.
Old 16th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #480
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Ditto here on The Silmarillion. It's like a history textbook for a place you don't care about.

Revisiting Stephen King, I have to admit that many of his books I loved as a teenager aren't as exciting or sophisticated when I reread them as an adult. And I thought he sold out far too casually to the screen adaptation.

(Full disclosure, though: I'm in one of those adaptations. In the old TV miniseries version of The Stand -- not the new one that just released -- you can see me as one of the corpses they clean out of the church. King was on set then and complimented me and the others as the best corpses he'd ever seen. )
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts