IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th January 2021, 07:55 AM   #41
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That plays a big role in the classic WW2 film "The Longest Day"

"John has a long mutache...John has a long mustache".
Surely repeating it like that robs it of its innocuousness.

But then again, such phrases can either be too prosaic or somehow very odd in the context in which they are said, as the famous documentary on the French Resistance, Allo Allo described:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #42
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
A few more days and the GOP will be like: "Trump who?"

The great forgetting will happen soon.
Yep. Or at least, that's what they will try.

But Trump voters might not be so quick to forget and when the primaries start up, they are probably going to have to make a decision (try and get him arrested and thrown in jail, and somehow try to keep their hands clean, maybe....?)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #43
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder of Moscow Mitch is now regretting his defense of Trump during the impeachment proceedings.

I am sure it made sense at the time... keep Trump and his voter base happy, use voter suppression and other tricks to win the electoral college and senate, and get another few years in power. Now, thanks in part to Trump, they've lost both congress and the white house, and Trump is still threatening to cause all sorts of havoc in the next few years. (Problems that could make it harder for the Republicans to retake congress.)

Had republicans acted to impeach Trump, they might have angered the MAGAchuds back then (and they still might have lost the white house as a result), but with Pence in charge, without Trump's incompetent meddling they might have managed to maintain control of the senate.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #44
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

But Trump voters might not be so quick to forget and when the primaries start up, they are probably going to have to make a decision (try and get him arrested and thrown in jail, and somehow try to keep their hands clean, maybe....?)
I think his followers will be seriously seep off after a time. I mean, how will he hold rallies without a campaign staff? Security? Who will let him a venue without up-front payment? Will the news cover him, once he is no longer president and has nothing sensible to say? (He never had, but the POTUS speaking nonsense is newsworthy in itself)

Hans
Old 6th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #45
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
A few more days and the GOP will be like: "Trump who?"

The great forgetting will happen soon.
Eric Trump is ranting that he is going to personally make sure that every republican who doesn't capitulate is going to get "primaried." And it's nonsense.

By January 31, Eric Trump will have completely have forgotten anything about politics and will be working on crafting his next fraudulent business scheme.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #46
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If the USA folk want to gloss over the last four years I think it is only polite we let them. They are going to be therapy for a long time,
Old 6th January 2021, 08:09 AM   #47
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Surely repeating it like that robs it of its innocuousness.

In that movie, they weren't actually trying to hide the fact that these were coded messages. As I recall, the announcer even made a point, "And now, some messages for our friends and allies in occupied Europe....", before reciting a long list of such phrases.

The key is, the Nazis, even knowing they were code phrases, had no idea who they were for, where those people were, or what the codes were communicating. They could have been literally anything from "Don't do anything, we're just messing with the Nazis heads" to "Commando raid in two days" to "Hey, it's D-Day, get your Nazi-killing shoes on!"
Old 6th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Eric Trump is ranting that he is going to personally make sure that every republican who doesn't capitulate is going to get "primaried." And it's nonsense.

By January 31, Eric Trump will have completely have forgotten anything about politics and will be working on crafting his next fraudulent business scheme.
As can be seen Trump rooting for a candidate really helps.... the Democrats!

Georgia Senate runoffs: Democrat Raphael Warnock wins against Kelly Loeffler
Old 6th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #49
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

How does he propose to do that? He will have zero political power after daddy is gone.

Quote:
That's if he's wise, yes.

Hans
Old 6th January 2021, 08:13 AM   #50
slyjoe
Master Poster

I love this part of his rant:

Quote:
Eric Trump:
"Because I can tell you, Sean, any senator or any congressman that does not—meaning on this side—that does not fight tomorrow, their political career is over. Because the MAGA movement is going nowhere!
ETA: Maybe he means it's not going anywhere.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 6th January 2021 at 08:14 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:13 AM   #51
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think his followers will be seriously seep off after a time. I mean, how will he hold rallies without a campaign staff? Security? Who will let him a venue without up-front payment? Will the news cover him, once he is no longer president and has nothing sensible to say? (He never had, but the POTUS speaking nonsense is newsworthy in itself)

Hans

He's going to end up the political version of a minor 80s rock band that still tours local fairs catering to drunken nostalgia fans.

"Oh man, I remember this one! 'Lock her up, lock her up!'"
"Do you think he'll play 'Some people are saying...'?"
Old 6th January 2021, 08:23 AM   #52
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's going to end up the political version of a minor 80s rock band that still tours local fairs catering to drunken nostalgia fans.

"Oh man, I remember this one! 'Lock her up, lock her up!'"
"Do you think he'll play 'Some people are saying...'?"
Actually, with no staff to do all the organisation work, I don't think he'll have the health or stamina to tour very much, even if he can find some funding.

Hans
Old 6th January 2021, 08:25 AM   #53
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As can be seen Trump rooting for a candidate really helps.... the Democrats!

Georgia Senate runoffs: Democrat Raphael Warnock wins against Kelly Loeffler
That was kind of my first thought- on the day when a southern state elects two Democratic senators who ran against Republicans that Trump endorsed, Eric is threatening to throw future Republican candidates into the briar patch?

Well, I've always heard he was the dumb one...

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:33 AM   #54
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I love this part of his rant:

ETA: Maybe he means it's not going anywhere.
In a ditch, spinning its wheels.

Old 6th January 2021, 08:40 AM   #55
angrysoba
Philosophile

In just how long will it be before the Congress counts the votes and Mike Pence seals Trump's end of presidency?

This should be a very sweet moment.

Though I do wonder just how much bellyaching Ted Cruz and his buddies will do.

Old 6th January 2021, 08:57 AM   #56
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

In just how long will it be before the Congress counts the votes and Mike Pence seals Trump's end of presidency?
Counting starts at 1pm.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:14 AM   #57
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to the new GOP...

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) on Tuesday was confronted by supporters of President Trump at the airport in Salt Lake City and subsequently heckled on a flight to Washington, D.C.
A subsequent video shared by another Twitter user on the flight from Salt Lake to D.C. the same day shows Trump supporters shouting at Romney while aboard the airplane. In the video, passengers chant "Traitor!" for several seconds as a number of them hold their phones up to record the interaction. One person is heard yelling at Romney to resign.

Yup... that's what the republican party is now... you can be a lifelong member of the GOP, push a conservative agenda for decades, but if you don't blindly follow a racist con-artist in everything that he does, you're a 'traitor'.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 6th January 2021, 09:40 AM   #58
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Both Trump boys are threatening to hold their breaths until Daddy gets to stay in the WH.

I imagine they are sad to see their gravy train pulling out of the station without them.
Old 6th January 2021, 09:41 AM   #59
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Both Trump boys are threatening to hold their breaths until Daddy gets to stay in the WH.

I imagine they are sad to see their gravy train pulling out of the station without them.
Well also they might be a bit worried that the NY AG has some indictments with their names on them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:45 AM   #60
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

This should be a very sweet moment.

Though I do wonder just how much bellyaching Ted Cruz and his buddies will do.
CNN actually has a countdown clock. It will be at 1pm EST. (or, about an hour from now)
Old 6th January 2021, 09:47 AM   #61
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well also they might be a bit worried that the NY AG has some indictments with their names on them.

And even if the AG only goes after Daddy Trump, well, then, Donny the Lessor and Eric the Idiot face the prospect of living without Daddy's protection for the first time in their lives.

They might even have to get real jobs, for god's sake! Horror!
Old 6th January 2021, 09:49 AM   #62
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wonder of Moscow Mitch is now regretting his defense of Trump during the impeachment proceedings.

I am sure it made sense at the time... keep Trump and his voter base happy, use voter suppression and other tricks to win the electoral college and senate, and get another few years in power. Now, thanks in part to Trump, they've lost both congress and the white house, and Trump is still threatening to cause all sorts of havoc in the next few years. (Problems that could make it harder for the Republicans to retake congress.)

Had republicans acted to impeach Trump, they might have angered the MAGAchuds back then (and they still might have lost the white house as a result), but with Pence in charge, without Trump's incompetent meddling they might have managed to maintain control of the senate.
Well, Mitch needed Trump till November. Without Trump, Mitch would have got closer to 50/50 in Kentucky, now he got 58%. I predict this will be his last 6 years. He will be well over 80 next time.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #63
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Junior, in front of several hundred people in DC: "This is Donald Trump's Republican Party."

https://thehill.com/homenews/532886-...message-to-gop

In contrast to other posters, I think the Trump idiot family isn't going to let go. Of this grift for a while yet. They're the dogs who's caught the car, and still think they're onto something good.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:53 AM   #64
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Junior, in front of several hundred people in DC: "This is Donald Trump's Republican Party."
That was the official party platform after all, why should they expect that to change?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:58 AM   #65
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Quote:

I am sure it made sense at the time... keep Trump and his voter base happy, use voter suppression and other tricks to win the electoral college and senate, and get another few years in power.
Well, Mitch needed Trump till November. Without Trump, Mitch would have got closer to 50/50 in Kentucky, now he got 58%. I predict this will be his last 6 years. He will be well over 80 next time.
Kentucky has been pretty consistent in their support for republicans over the past few decades. Even if they impeached Trump and had a bunch of upset MAGAchuds, I doubt Moscow Mitch would have lost his seat.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 6th January 2021, 10:02 AM   #66
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That was the official party platform after all, why should they expect that to change?

He's hoping that since he's also named Donald Trump that he will automatically inherit the party, like everything else of value he has in his life.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:52 AM   #67
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Biden will nominate Merrick Garland as his Attorney General (WaPo via MSN).

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:13 AM   #68
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post

https://thehill.com/homenews/532886-...message-to-gop

In contrast to other posters, I think the Trump idiot family isn't going to let go. Of this grift for a while yet. They're the dogs who's caught the car, and still think they're onto something good.
Well, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Trump turns out to be the kind of friend you would happily swap for a few enemies.

Hans
Old 6th January 2021, 11:54 AM   #69
Mojo
Mostly harmless

House offices evacuated as Trump supporters storm Capitol barriers

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:13 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The rioters are now indside the Capitol. TIme to stop folling around. Time to use deadly force.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:14 PM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We are seeing a POTUS egging on a Mob to storm a federal building.
I keep on telliny you people; first duty of anybody who loves freedom is to get a rifle.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:14 PM   #72
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tweets from last half hour

@RepHaleyStevens
I’m sheltering in place in my office. The building next door has been evacuated. I can’t believe I have to write this.

Ben Collins (NBC)
@oneunderscore__
President Trump explicitly told these people to go to the Capitol at the end of his speech.

philip lewis (Hufpost)
@Phil_Lewis_
Whoa: Trump supporters going at it with the police on the steps of the Capitol as Congress counts the Electoral College ballots inside
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:14 PM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The rioters are now indside the Capitol. TIme to stop folling around. Time to use deadly force.
After all these people support police violence at any provocation they would certianly support the police shooting them.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #74
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Watching the live coverage now. I get a distinctly dystopian feeling from watching the demonstrators on the Congress stairs. I was worried the trumpkins would get gradually more militant as they realized the game was up.

Not to mention all the covid cases they're spreading .

Here's hoping things calm down some time after January 20th.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:33 PM   #75
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:35 PM   #76
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!
Someone trying to give Donnie some deniability?
Old 6th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently they are talking about evacuating the VP from the Capitol building.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:37 PM   #78
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

OAN just questioned whether these protesters are actually Antifa operatives in disguise.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:39 PM   #79
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Police were able to tear gas and riot shield actual peaceful protestors so Trump could stand in front of a church and hold a bible upside down. Now suddenly the police are useless. CNN keeps cutting to small columns of cops and handfuls of police vehicles that are totally ineffective and not doing anything.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40 PM   #80
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
OAN just questioned whether these protesters are actually Antifa operatives in disguise.
It's literally the crowd from Trump's rally a couple of hours ago.

It's the selfsame group of people.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics