IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 10th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #201
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's impossible to replay time with just one variable changed, so we will never know the other "what if" scenarios. However, to say that impeaching Trump was what caused the election victory is to commit the "post hoc ergo proctor hoc" fallacy.

...snip...

You need to re-read the post you quoted, it never said what you claim it does.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #202
dejudge
Philosopher

It's impossible to replay time with just one variable changed, so we will never know the other "what if" scenarios. However, to say that impeaching Trump was what caused the election victory is to commit the "post hoc ergo proctor hoc" fallacy.

In my opinion, had the pandemic not come along, Trump would have sailed to an easy win.
Your opinion about the pandemic is of no use right now.

We know that the Democrats impeached Trump in a partisan vote and still won the Presidency and control of the Senate so the claim than a second impeachment would hurt the Democrats cannot be shown to be true.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #203
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
...Impeaching Trump will do the exact opposite and harden those voters' opposition to what they perceive as a bunch of over-entitled elites.
Your claim has actually been proven to be false. Trump was already impeached by the Democrats even by partisan vote yet they have not only won the Presidency but also gained control of the Senate.

A second impeachment of Trump will completely destroy him.
In context of the claim dejudge was replying to, I don't think he was saying that the first impeachment helped the Dems to victory in 2020 so much as that it didn't hurt them nearly as badly as people were afraid it might.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #204
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Maybe even consider the possbility that he or she might come from the left as well as the right.
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Quite possible.
Mathematically possible? Sure. Probable? Hardly.

There is nothing happening on the Left to indicate the table is set for something like that. Democrats tend to elect decent people and hold those who prove to not be so decent accountable. Republicans, not so much.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 12:16 PM   #205
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe even consider the possbility that he or she might come from the left as well as the right.
Quite possible.
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Mathematically possible? Sure. Probable? Hardly.

There is nothing happening on the Left to indicate the table is set for something like that. Democrats tend to elect decent people and hold those who prove to not be so decent accountable. Republicans, not so much.
At the moment it doesn't look like it.

I've mentioned many times that my thesis in college was about "how it could happen here". How the US wasn't immune from slipping into authoritarianism. There are right wing dictators and left wing dictators. There is Franco, Hitler, Mussolini and others on the right, and there is Stalin, Mao, Castro etc on the left.

I see no real immediate danger on the left, but that doesn't mean we really won't see that down the road.

I see a real need for structural change. The lame duck period for example has to be changed.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:38 PM   #206
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
In context of the claim dejudge was replying to, I don't think he was saying that the first impeachment helped the Dems to victory in 2020 so much as that it didn't hurt them nearly as badly as people were afraid it might.
Agreed.

The Atheist said that impeachment would "harden voters' opposition", and dejudge said that the claim had been refuted.

I don't think the Atheist's claim that a second impeachment would harden voters' opposition was refuted by the fact that Donald Trump lost re-election after the first impeachment.

That much should be blindingly obvious to everyone. Obviously, what happened last time cannot prove anything about what would happen if we do something similar again. Furthermore, the fact that something occurred after the last impeachment can't even be tied in a causal manner to the subsequent election results. We cannot tell whether Donald Trump got more votes or fewer votes as a result of impeachment.

What can be said with certainty is that impeaching Donald Trump did not cause him to be re-elected. We know that because Donald Trump was not re-elected. The above are all things that cannot be disputed by anyone who can read.

It is my opinion, which I cannot prove, for exactly the reasons mentioned before, that the first impeachment of Donald Trump caused him to get more votes than he otherwise would have.

Did I mention that can't be proved? So, if anyone feels like posting, "You can't prove that." feel free, but know that I'm already saying that. Right? Can't prove it. Right there on the page. My opinion.

It is also my opinion that the Atheist was correct. My belief is that a second impeachment would harden opposition to the Democrats. I will amend that somewhat, though, by saying it would only do so if they failed to convict. However, as I stated earlier, I'm not sure I care. Impeachment and removal from office is the right thing to do, so right at this moment I'm leaning toward saying they should do the right thing, regardless of political calculations.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #207
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
At the moment it doesn't look like it.

I've mentioned many times that my thesis in college was about "how it could happen here". How the US wasn't immune from slipping into authoritarianism. There are right wing dictators and left wing dictators. There is Franco, Hitler, Mussolini and others on the right, and there is Stalin, Mao, Castro etc on the left.

I see no real immediate danger on the left, but that doesn't mean we really won't see that down the road.

I see a real need for structural change. The lame duck period for example has to be changed.
Yes, there have been left wing dictators in the history of the world, but that has no bearing on the likelihood of it happening here anytime soon.

What we are seeing happening in America right now didnít occur in a vacuum. Itís been carefully crafted and constructed by Republicans for decades. Itís been leading to this for a long time.

There are simply no warning signs at all that something like this could happen on the Left.

Shortening the lame duck period is an idea I agree with, by the way.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 01:00 PM   #208
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I originally considered this a mildly good idea in some ways but also pointless, with the net result of not caring one way or the other, but then I heard someone pointing out that an impeachment & conviction would make Trump ineligible to run again. I don't think he's likely to anyway because by that time it's likely that either he'll be dead or his continuing nervous degeneration will be so severe as to make him look too pitiful for his own current following. But just in case that doesn't work out, given the fact that the Democrats who are currently in control of their party will only spend the next few years rolling out a red carpet for him anyway just like before, another precaution against Trump 2024 would be good.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 01:04 PM   #209
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I originally considered this a mildly good idea in some ways but also pointless, with the net result of not caring one way or the other, but then I heard someone pointing out that an impeachment & conviction would make Trump ineligible to run again. I don't think he's likely to anyway because by that time it's likely that either he'll be dead or his continuing nervous degeneration will be so severe as to make him look too pitiful for his own current following. But just in case that doesn't work out, given the fact that the Democrats who are currently in control of their party will only spend the next few years rolling out a red carpet for him anyway just like before, another precaution against Trump 2024 would be good.
He needs to be impeached *if only* to prevent him from running again, no matter how unlikely we guess that is at this time.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 01:13 PM   #210
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
He needs to be impeached *if only* to prevent him from running again, no matter how unlikely we guess that is at this time.
He needs to be impeached because we desperately need to reset standards back to the pre-Trumpian era, where reality was real and criminality pushed by the President was not a daily news report.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, there have been left wing dictators in the history of the world, but that has no bearing on the likelihood of it happening here anytime soon.

What we are seeing happening in America right now didnít occur in a vacuum. Itís been carefully crafted and constructed by Republicans for decades. Itís been leading to this for a long time.

There are simply no warning signs at all that something like this could happen on the Left.

Shortening the lame duck period is an idea I agree with, by the way.
Of course it does. There are people on the left right now who would do the same things as those on the far right. They just don't have much of a voice at the moment.

It just isn't a danger in the foreseeable future. When I wrote my thesis, I compared the tactics and strategies employed by left wing and right wing authoritarian governments. And the fact is they were not very different from each other.
Old 10th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #212
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I don't think the Atheist's claim that a second impeachment would harden voters' opposition was refuted by the fact that Donald Trump lost re-election after the first impeachment.
From my reading of dejudge's refutation, the 'hardening of resolve' was supposed to have been aimed at non-Republican Senate and House, nothing to do with Presidency at all. TheAtheist was claiming that if the Democrats caused any consequences to come to Trump in the last two weeks of his presidency for the deadly attack on the Legislative branch, voters would respond by voting for Republican Senators and Representatives. Which they didn't, after the previous impeachment. It wasn't as strong a response in Congress as it was to Presidency, but voters sure weren't hardened against Democrats for Congress for the impeachment.
Old 10th January 2021, 02:35 PM   #213
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quite possible.
Be Warned: Your Own Version of Trump is Coming

Quote:
One day, very soon, your personal Donald Trump will come along. It'll be all of the same tricks, only perfectly tailored to your beliefs and pent-up rage. He or she will be just as dishonest and as abrasive as the proverbial cat's tongue on your genitals ... but everything they say will go down smooth as butter. You know how sometimes you drink butter? Like the little tub of it they give you at Red Lobster? Like that.

They may not even be running for office. They may only want you to buy their book, or listen to their podcast. What matters is that you spot them before it's too late.
Article: https://www.cracked.com/blog/be-warn...-trump-coming/
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #214
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Do you think the benefits of doing it are high or low?
Irrelevant, Bob. Remember, the government isnít in the business of utilitarianism. I am shocked to see you suggest it is. It is in the business of fidelity to the constitution, though, right? Impeachment.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:55 PM   #215
dirtywick
Master Poster

It is also my opinion that the Atheist was correct. My belief is that a second impeachment would harden opposition to the Democrats. I will amend that somewhat, though, by saying it would only do so if they failed to convict. However, as I stated earlier, I'm not sure I care. Impeachment and removal from office is the right thing to do, so right at this moment I'm leaning toward saying they should do the right thing, regardless of political calculations.
i agree to a certain extent, failing to convict would be a disaster. but not in the sense that it could be avoided, it will just reveal how far gone these people are. it will harden the opposition of a small portion of the R electorate and a good number of house reps and a handful of senators. but these people's opposition is already so hardened they thought they had a right to go and kill legislators for counting votes they didn't like. they wanted to kill the VP, and many legislatures were ok with that. the dems aren't going to make them happy.

but i think many voters realize that he's lost his mind. for some of the house as well, and much of the senate, whatever political benefits he was giving them are gone.

hopefully not everyone is afraid of trump
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #216
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If you can confirm a Supreme Court Justice in 8 days, then you can impeach a President in 10.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #217
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
i agree to a certain extent, failing to convict would be a disaster. but not in the sense that it could be avoided, it will just reveal how far gone these people are. it will harden the opposition of a small portion of the R electorate and a good number of house reps and a handful of senators. but these people's opposition is already so hardened they thought they had a right to go and kill legislators for counting votes they didn't like. they wanted to kill the VP, and many legislatures were ok with that. the dems aren't going to make them happy.

but i think many voters realize that he's lost his mind. for some of the house as well, and much of the senate, whatever political benefits he was giving them are gone.

hopefully not everyone is afraid of trump
Indeed. At the least we need to see exactly who are going to stand behind Trump. If this impeachment ends up rankling Republicans then those Republicans are defenders of an attempted coup.

On the other hand, ďBut what if we fail to convict?Ē Is a terrible non-argument.

This can be said about almost any crime. ďSorry, we canít prosecute this guy for racially-aggravated murder because what happens if there is a racist jury? They might be sympathetic. Best let bygones be bygones. Turn the other cheek. Forgive and forget. Sing kumbaya. Take the plane from Munich with your piece of paper. Submit to the Saviours. Etc etc...Ē
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #218
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A failed coup without consequences is just a training exercise.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #219
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Quite the hang-up on Pelosi ya got going there. Supposedly Trump's a billionaire, but spends more time and energy on TV, tweeting, and golf than on doing his goddamned job. Why aren't you whining about him being some rich, coastal elite who belongs back in his gold leaf-bedecked den of iniquity?
Do you not even understand the difference between Republicans and Democrats?

Meanwhile, this:

Quote:
Brendan Buck, a former adviser to former Republican House speakers Paul Ryan and John Boehner who has criticised Trump before, cautioned against declaring the outgoing president politically dead.

Buck argued that any kind of punishment for Trump - be it impeachment or prosecution or merely a censure by Congress - could accrue to his political benefit, a point Miller made as well.
bolding mine

I'm going to take a wild guess their insight is a little better than some unknown people on an internet forum.
Old 10th January 2021, 03:42 PM   #220
Paul2
Philosopher

Meanwhile, this:

bolding mine

I'm going to take a wild guess their insight is a little better than some unknown people on an internet forum.
that was not so much a prediction that punishing trump would accrue to his benefit as much as merely saying you could not rule it out, which should be obvious. That does not add up to an argument for not punishing trump because some pol knows more than we do.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #221
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, this:

bolding mine

You think? I'm not so sure.

I can see their point, but people are also emboldened when they are able to get away with things. More important in my mind than punishment is exposing him as the incompetent awful man he is.

Trump is not a young man. He's 74 and a half. This isn't Hitler who was sentenced to 5 years in Prison but only served 9 months. Hitler was arrested for Treason when he was 34 and out before he was 36 and right back at it.

Trump and Trumpism must be destroyed.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #222
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I'm going to take a wild guess that cherrypicking an opinion from internet does not mean jack ****.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #223
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I can see their point, but people are also emboldened when they are able to get away with things.
Trump is irrelevant - it's the people who voted for him that matter, and despite me being happy to say out loud that all Trump/Republican voters are ignorant scum, it's not actually true. Some of them are decent people - I don't believe the split in USA is 50-50; I'd tend to think 2/3 of Americans are fine people, the other side are *****.

More important in my mind than punishment is exposing him as the incompetent awful man he is.
I'm pretty sure that's not news.

Trump and Trumpism must be destroyed.
I'm also pretty sure he's done that all on his own.

How about Newt Gingrich as a source?

While the piece is less than something you scrape off your shoes, even Newt manages to stick a telling piece in:

Quote:
At any given moment, somewhere between 20% and 50% of the Republican Party is eager to sell out. Theyíll be happy with a pat on the head and an invitation to a cocktail party from left-wing elites. That way, they can be accepted as "mature statesmen."

In fact, some Republicans are joining the insane calls by Democrats and the media to invoke the 25th Amendment to oust a man who received 74 million votes and has already said heís leaving the White House in just a few days.
Those people Gingrich talks about "selling out" are the voters I mean. If you can give them reasons to vote Democrat, many will.

Impeaching Trump, creating sympathy for the fat ****, is not the way to go about it.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #224
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Your opinion about the pandemic is of no use right now.

We know that the Democrats impeached Trump in a partisan vote and still won the Presidency and control of the Senate so the claim than a second impeachment would hurt the Democrats cannot be shown to be true.
Whereas not acting will almost certainly hurt the Democrats given the current atmosphere. You cannot ignore sending a mob to break into the Capitol to try to stop a legislative action.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th January 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:15 PM   #225
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Irrelevant, Bob. Remember, the government isnít in the business of utilitarianism. I am shocked to see you suggest it is. It is in the business of fidelity to the constitution, though, right? Impeachment.
There is a lot of talk in this thread of, "if not x then y." Just trying to figure out who thinks that is relevant and who does not.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:18 PM   #226
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
He needs to be impeached because we desperately need to reset standards back to the pre-Trumpian era, where reality was real and criminality pushed by the President was not a daily news report.
This ^ 'by a lot'.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #227
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Be Warned: Your Own Version of Trump is Coming

Article: https://www.cracked.com/blog/be-warn...-trump-coming/
In this county, not likely, at least not in this century.

It took the Republicans decades to build up to making their Trump possible. It goes back at least to Reagan and his courting single issue voters.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th January 2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:23 PM   #228
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
This "heal the division" is absolute bullcrap, and we just crossed the line where we're gonna pretend differently. **** that. The ones who want to heal the division are the ones who fomented it. Give. Me. A. Break.
Understatement of the year. Trumpanzees and their enablers have no shame. They don't even know what that means.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:29 PM   #229
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Quote:
Buck argued that any kind of punishment for Trump - be it impeachment or prosecution or merely a censure by Congress - could accrue to his political benefit, a point Miller made as well.
Their "insight" is nothing more than the same line they always give when the boot is the one coming down on them, "you don't want to do that, it will make you look mean" or whatever.

It's a predictable GOP propaganda ploy and unfortunately it has been successful time and time again. Time to recognize it for what it is.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th January 2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How about Newt Gingrich as a source?

While the piece is less than something you scrape off your shoes, even Newt manages to stick a telling piece in:

Those people Gingrich talks about "selling out" are the voters I mean. If you can give them reasons to vote Democrat, many will.

Impeaching Trump, creating sympathy for the fat ****, is not the way to go about it.
What happened over the last couple months and especially the last week negate some of those 74 million votes. Obviously many of those votes came from diehard Trump fans. Nothing the Democrats do, impeach or any version of ridding ourselves of Trump, is going to affect their beliefs one bit. It's just as likely doing nothing will embolden them.

Gingrich is a washed-up politician still trying to insert himself into current events so he can drive up book sales.
Old 10th January 2021, 04:43 PM   #231
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Their "insight" is nothing more than the same line they always give when the boot is the one coming down on them, "you don't want to do that, it will make you look mean" or whatever.

It's a predictable GOP propaganda ploy and unfortunately it has been successful time and time again. Time to recognize it for what it is.
Then they say the Dems are weak
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:00 PM   #232
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

It's just as likely doing nothing will embolden them.
It is not "just a likely". It is absolute certainty.

Behavioral scientists says lack of expected (or any for that matter) punishment is treated as reward.

Opinions like "let them get away with it or else!" are extremely foolish at best.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #233
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Bernie Sanders
Quote:
@BernieSanders

Jan 8
Some people ask: Why would you impeach and convict a president who has only a few days left in office? The answer: Precedent. It must be made clear that no president, now or in the future, can lead an insurrection against the U.S. government.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:43 PM   #234
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Whereas not acting will almost certainly hurt the Democrats given the current atmosphere.
In what way?
Old 10th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #235
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

In what way?
Because for zero gain (meaning it will have no impact on Trumpers), they will piss off their own base.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:47 PM   #236
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

A bloody attempted coup was just experienced by the entire Legislative branch. That cannot be encouraged by offering zero consequences.

Last edited by Silly Green Monkey; 10th January 2021 at 05:48 PM.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:15 PM   #237
wareyin
Philosopher

No, Gingrich is not referring to the voters. The clue is "mature statesmen." Voters aren't statesmen. Politicians are.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:18 PM   #238
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Latest report is that the House of Representatives will impeach Donald J Trump this week. but likely delay sending articles of Impeachment to the United States Senate.

This according to a letter Speaker Pelosi sent out in the last hour.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:20 PM   #239
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I know the internet has created this mythology where "I'll argue any stupid contrarian position because I'd rather defend an immoral absurdity then live in a world where everyone agrees on anything" is a noble position, but it's also the biggest cylinder in the engine that drove us to the post-fact world.

"When the President orders an angry mob to storm the Capitol and 5 people die CONSEQUENCES SHOULD OCCUR" was firmly established in the "No **** Sherlock Act of Nineteen Hundred And Always."
Old 10th January 2021, 06:20 PM   #240
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Latest report is that the House of Representatives will impeach Donald J Trump this week. but likely delay sending articles of Impeachment to the United States Senate.

This according to a letter Speaker Pelosi sent out in the last hour.
Then it's a farce. Another political dog and pony show.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 10th January 2021 at 06:22 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics