IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Only 6 more months until Election Day!

Only 6 more months of interminable lies, garbage and horse dooky! Then we get maybe a week off (if we're lucky) before it starts all over again!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Only 6 more months of interminable lies, garbage and horse dooky! Then we get maybe a week off (if we're lucky) before it starts all over again!
You're a crazy dreamer, shemp.

That's why we love you.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #3
shemp

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
You're a crazy dreamer, shemp.

That's why we love you.
I'm such an optimist.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I'd be happy for two politics-free hours after the election. Maybe we can schedule from 2-4 am the following Saturday?
Old 7th May 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

You guys prefer we have a monarchy or something like that in order to avoid political campaigns?
Old 7th May 2012, 10:02 AM   #6
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
You guys prefer we have a monarchy or something like that in order to avoid political campaigns?
No, I just wish that we could confine the nutjobs to a couple of never-elected fringe parties and let the adults run the Democrats and the GOP.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I would happily go for vastly limited campaigns (in time and possibly money), but with our constitution and form of government I don't see that happening.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 06:10 PM   #8
shemp

I'd prefer a campaign of no more than six months from first primary to general election. The first week of May would be the start of the primaries, and no paid political advertising before April 1st. Nobody needs this much time to make up their minds for whom to vote.

Old 7th May 2012, 06:29 PM   #9
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'd prefer a campaign of no more than six months from first primary to general election. The first week of May would be the start of the primaries, and no paid political advertising before April 1st. Nobody needs this much time to make up their minds for whom to vote.
Damn straight. Unfortunately, I think we would need to make Constitutional changes to enforce that.
Old 7th May 2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

If you get a chance, read (or re-read) The Making of the President, 1960 by Ted White. It was written about 50 years ago, and you will think you are reading about another country. The opening chapter talks about JFK's announcement of his decision to run for the Presidency, in late January, 1960.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 06:48 PM   #11
MG1962

No just adopt the Westminster system - 6 weeks every three years...done and dusted
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics