IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-gay incidents , Brian Fischer , mitt romney , Richard Grenell

Old 1st May 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Gay Romney aide forced out

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ns?ft=1&f=1001

The GOP is again showing the world how tolerant they are;

Quote:
Richard Grenell, a long time Republican hired by Mitt Romney's campaign as a foreign policy spokesman, resigned today. Grenell's hiring made news less than two weeks ago, because Grenell is openly gay.

The New York Times reports Grenell's abrupt resignation comes after he came "under attack by antigay activists in the party."

The Romney campaign cofirmed <sic> his resignation saying they were "disappointed" Grenell had resigned for "personal reasons."

<SNIP>
Old 1st May 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Tricky
Briefly immortal

C'mon, Richard. What were you thinking?
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Biscuit
Philosopher

Quote:
Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association shared his disappointment with the Grenell pick on Twitter: “Romney picks out & loud gay as a spokesman. If personnel is policy, his message to the pro-family community: drop dead.”
here

Hiring gay people means you hate families.

ETA: Just allowing a gay man to call himself a republican is the RNC telling the pro-family community to drop dead.

Last edited by Biscuit; 1st May 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Biscuit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

i read this a few minutes ago, but it looks like the story was pulled after a bunch of comments were posted comparing Grenell to jewish guards in nazi concentration camps

lovely bunch of people you got over there on the left
Old 1st May 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Lisa Simpson

I "like" this quote:

Quote:
In the National Review, Matthew J. Franck wrote late last week: “Suppose Barack Obama comes out — as Grenell wishes he would — in favor of same-sex marriage in his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention. How fast and how publicly will Richard Grenell decamp from Romney to Obama?”
Because we all know gay people can't be trusted.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:12 PM   #6
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
i read this a few minutes ago, but it looks like the story was pulled after a bunch of comments were posted comparing Grenell to jewish guards in nazi concentration camps

Tu quoque much?

And so much of a miss, too! You find a few jerks posting comments and suddenly its the whole "left" but somehow it's OK that a presidential candidate (or the people he is beholding to in his party and who apparently are calling the shots, your choice) discriminates against gay people.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Biscuit
Philosopher

Did you consider that maybe the commenters were actually far far right and were giving Grenell a compliment?

Old 1st May 2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

There were a number of other issues, but I dan't say how large they were.

Romney's response didn't address the issue at all, and the LCR was just as impotent as usual:

Quote:
“Ric made the choice that he feels is best for the Romney campaign, and I respect his decision,” said R. Clarke Cooper, Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director. “It is unfortunate that while the Romney campaign made it clear that Grenell being an openly gay man was a non-issue for the governor and his team, the hyper-partisan discussion of issues unrelated to Ric's national security qualifications threatened to compromise his effectiveness on the campaign trail. As a Bush Administration colleague of Ric, I can attest to his experience and qualifications in the national security portfolio. Ric was essentially hounded by the far right and far left. The Romney campaign has lost a well-known advocate of conservative ideas and a talented spokesman, and I am certain he will remain an active voice for a confident U.S. foreign policy.”

The Romney camp has responded via campaign manager Matt Rhoades: “We are disappointed that Ric decided to resign from the campaign for his own personal reasons. We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill.”
Linky.

Yes, he was "hounded by the far right and far left". One would be foolish to think that a pro-gay Republican organisation would take particular umbrage to the gay bashing from their own party.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Of course they will try to paint it as having NOTHING to do with his being gay and out.

(Gay and closeted? Many in Congress like that.)

But that is the elephant in the corner.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:24 PM   #10
ravdin
Illuminator

It also shows Mitt Romney's political cowardice. Not that I expected any better from him, but his pandering to bigots is disgusting.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
It also shows Mitt Romney's political cowardice. Not that I expected any better from him, but his pandering to bigots is disgusting.
And fortunately he missed a golden opportunity to gain broader support.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
And fortunately he missed a golden opportunity to gain broader support.
Actually, no. Whatever "broader" support he would have gained (and it wouldn't be much, because most moderates would just take it as another example of his hypocrisy) it would have been offset by the gay-hater vote, a significant part of the Republican base, who would drop him like a hot potato if he had allowed Grennell to stay.
I can't really blame him. He has to play to his base. The (political) mistake was in hiring him in the first place.

Last edited by Tricky; 1st May 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Unabogie
Philosopher

Wait, you're saying that Romney doesn't have the courage of his convictions? The man is a model of consistency!

All kidding aside, this sucks. I think the guy is a raving wingnut, but being forced out because of his sexual orientation is stupid. And there are a small, but growing handful of scalps from the Obama administration who have been collected as well because of manufactured outrages. It's a bad trend.

But come to think of it, both Obama's people and Grenell were forced out by the loony right, so they could go drink a beer together and commiserate.
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Unabogie
Philosopher

By the way, it should be noted that Grenell is a John Bolton retread. Mitt Romney, Mr. Etch-A-Sketch, is getting his foreign policy advice from the John Bolton wing of the GOP. Just food for thought for those who think that Romney would somehow govern as a moderate. He's busy surrounding himself with far right advisors and advocating far right policies. I think people are deluding themselves if they think a guy who hires this kind of Neocon isn't going to govern just like George Bush did.
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

You assume that Romney forced him out? Why? I tend to think that Grenell didn't want to become the story. The linked article at NPR notes this official statement from the campaign:

Quote:
"We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill," Romney's campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement.
That does not sound to me like a statement intended as a sop to the people who wanted him out. Sounds more like they're annoyed at the soc-cons (as I am).
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 06:01 PM   #16
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

It would suck to be a gay republican. I get that there is strong religious opposition but there seems so little backbone from the leaders to stand by gay and lesbian Republicans. And let's be clear, there are a lot of gay and lesbian Republicans. There really are. Being gay doesn't change ones principles. I have a number of friends who are gay and Republican. I think it is tragic that the party has largely turned their backs on them for superstition and an ancient book of fairy tales.

People like Ted Olson give me some reason for hope.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You assume that Romney forced him out? Why? I tend to think that Grenell didn't want to become the story. The linked article at NPR notes this official statement from the campaign:
Not me. I don't assume that for a second. I actually think Romney is a moderate who is forced to kowtow to the far right in order to have any chance at winning the election. I strongly suspect that it was one of his handlers who whispered into his ear, "Ix-nay on the Eers-Quay". And of course, Grenell understood. You can't work that closely with the far right without developing a sense of when to scuttle the jetsam.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:13 PM   #18
truethat
Banned

Mitt Romney's Sexist Spokesman is Forced to Resign Because He's Gay

Quote:
Mitt Romney’s Sexist Spokesman Is Forced to Resign Because He’s Gay
Last week, we introduced you to Richard Grenell, the man who had just been hired as Mitt Romney's national security and foreign policy spokesman. We also introduced you to a variety of mean and often sexist tweets that Grenell had gone in and deleted from his Twitter account because they made him look like a total asshat. Well, the good news is that he abruptly resigned from his job today, so we won't have to contend with his sexist remarks and general incompetence.

The bad news, however, is that the reason Grenell stepped down is because he was under heavy attack from anti-gay GOP groups who had it out for him because he is openly gay. Not cool. Not cool, at all. Apparently his boss, Mitt Romney, responded to the nasty attacks on Grenell by essentially hiding him from public view. What a brave and courageous leader that Mittens is! This decision was understandably frustrating to Grenell, whose entire job was to be a public voice for the campaign. So, he said whatever the Republican equivalent of "peace out" is and decamped for less controversial (and probably more profitable) pastures.
http://jezebel.com/5906841/mitt-romn...ecause-hes-gay
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Unabogie
Philosopher

There's already a thread on this...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=235259
Old 1st May 2012, 07:25 PM   #20
truethat
Banned

Oh sorry. I looked around. Jumps to there.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 07:26 PM   #21
truethat
Banned

Well he's done and blown it. That's going to be pedaled as a lack of foresight. It also goes to show how being gay isn't this badge of liberal honor. Just like the Christian Fundies that come out of the closet, or get forced out.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:30 PM   #22
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Well he's done and blown it. That's going to be pedaled as a lack of foresight. It also goes to show how being gay isn't this badge of liberal honor. Just like the Christian Fundies that come out of the closet, or get forced out.
A.) Who argues it's a "liberal honor". B.) What on earth are you even talking about and what does it have to do with liberals?
Old 1st May 2012, 07:35 PM   #23
truethat
Banned

Um never mind. I've caused enough confusion tonight. Doesn't mean what you seem to think it does, rest assured.

Has more to do with the article I was using.

Old 1st May 2012, 09:50 PM   #24
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Um never mind. I've caused enough confusion tonight. Doesn't mean what you seem to think it does, rest assured.

Has more to do with the article I was using.

Ah. Okay. I got it now. And you are correct. Next time just mention that it goes to 11.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:37 PM   #25
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

"Gay Romney aide forced out"

And here I'd been thinking Santorum leaving the race would see the end of all icky double-entendres.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:43 PM   #26
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

And the far right continues to demonstrate why history will look on them as reprehensible monsters not worthy of the oxygen they wasted in the slime filled cavern a brain usually resided in.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 11:30 PM   #27
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Not me. I don't assume that for a second. I actually think Romney is a moderate who is forced to kowtow to the far right in order to have any chance at winning the election. I strongly suspect that it was one of his handlers who whispered into his ear, "Ix-nay on the Eers-Quay". And of course, Grenell understood. You can't work that closely with the far right without developing a sense of when to scuttle the jetsam.
If Romney's that foolish, then he deserves to lose, because the far right is going to vote for him in droves in November. And as always, the election is going to be won in the center, where there are votes for the taking, and which count as 2 for 1 (because a Romney vote won in the center is one that Obama doesn't get, while one lost on the wing isn't going to Obama.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:28 AM   #28
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

And the fact that there are obnoxious people on both sides makes your statement less than neutral.

Lovely false dichotomy you have there on your side (of one).
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 2nd May 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:31 AM   #29
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I "like" this quote:
So odd too, as Obama has said he does not support same sex marriage but civil unions only.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:16 AM   #30
Magyar
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
And the far right continues to demonstrate why history will look on them as reprehensible monsters not worthy of the oxygen they wasted in the slime filled cavern a brain usually resided in.
I wish this were so, but as history adn even current politics continue to show the far right continues to maintain a percentage of people.

The good thing about this incidence is that it vividly shows their bigotry. It's much easier to fight this kind of overt bigotry.
Magyar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:40 AM   #31
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

If Romney's that foolish, then he deserves to lose, because the far right is going to vote for him in droves in November. And as always, the election is going to be won in the center, where there are votes for the taking, and which count as 2 for 1 (because a Romney vote won in the center is one that Obama doesn't get, while one lost on the wing isn't going to Obama.
Concur.
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:02 AM   #32
Tricky
Briefly immortal

If Romney's that foolish, then he deserves to lose, because the far right is going to vote for him in droves in November.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think a lot of the far-right may sit out this election, and the closer to the center he moves, the more that will sit out. The bitter primary battle really hurt Romney, and even if Santorum, Gingrich, Perry et. al. get on the bandwagon, they still can't unsay the things they said. Heck, Obama is using Gingrich video clips in his ads.
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:26 AM   #33
Cleon
King of the Pod People

See, here's what I don't get. I honestly believe that you're disgusted by this...But every time you pull the lever for the GOP, or send them a campaign contribution, you do nothing to dissuade them from pandering to bigots. In fact, you merely encourage it because they see it as more beneficial than harmful.

The question I have for you and other moderate Republicans is, why do you continue to tolerate this bigotry from your party? You want smaller government, but you keep voting for a party that has no problem putting the government in your bedroom.
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:57 AM   #34
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Cleon,

The shift to the Right in the Democratic party is BECAUSE the moderate Republicans have started to move.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:56 PM   #35
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think a lot of the far-right may sit out this election, and the closer to the center he moves, the more that will sit out.
No way. You cannot imagine how much they hate Obama. It's beyond passionate; it's unreasonable. I didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and won't vote for him this year, but I am amazed at how he has united conservatives in determination to vote him out. Romney has plenty of room to run to the center, and as I pointed out before, every vote there counts double compared to the votes on the wing.
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:15 PM   #36
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

No way. You cannot imagine how much they hate Obama. It's beyond passionate; it's unreasonable. I didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and won't vote for him this year, but I am amazed at how he has united conservatives in determination to vote him out. Romney has plenty of room to run to the center, and as I pointed out before, every vote there counts double compared to the votes on the wing.
Serious question; How can people support a Party built on such hatred?
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:21 PM   #37
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Is this based on anecdotal observation or something else?
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:23 PM   #38
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Serious question; How can people support a Party built on such hatred?
Hatred of Bush was pretty strong. I was a Bush supporter and I remember just how mean things got. Now, you can argue that Bush was more deserving but he did engender some strong feelings. IMHO: I think there is far less substance for the hatred of Obama.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:31 PM   #39
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Hatred of Bush was pretty strong. I was a Bush supporter and I remember just how mean things got. Now, you can argue that Bush was more deserving but he did engender some strong feelings. IMHO: I think there is far less substance for the hatred of Obama.
If you detest somebody because of his actions and statements, it is quite different from detesting him because of his political party, his skin color, or his supposed place of birth.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:57 PM   #40
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

If you detest somebody because of his actions and statements, it is quite different from detesting him because of his political party, his skin color, or his supposed place of birth.
Well, to be fair there is that whole pinko commie socialist Reverend Wright loving, Saul Alinsky worshiping, Kenyan Muslim thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics