ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags forum software , XenForo

Old 27th March 2015, 07:31 AM   #41
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
More of question where to post it?
We should have a poll to decide...
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2015, 07:51 AM   #42
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
More of question where to post it?
Not quite sure what you're asking, but I meant the poll itself should probably go in Community.
Old 27th March 2015, 09:14 AM   #43
Dan O.
Banned

If only we had a "like" button to raise the standing of the poll.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2015, 10:20 AM   #44
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Do we need to specify that it is about liking posts, not people?
Riiiiight. Nobody is ever going to confuse the post and the person.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2015, 05:44 PM   #45
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
Great! Let's figure out a poll and opening statement. Here's my suggestion:

Dear Forumites, Icerat and TPTB are contemplating moving the forum software to Xenforo, which would be a good opportunity for making some changes. There've been numerous debates through the years about including a "Like" button, such as one can find on many another forum. I don't believe a poll has ever been conducted, so now seems as good a time as any.

POLL: I would like a "Like" button...

1. Everywhere, always
2. Only in the "Members' Only" sections
3. Nowhere, ever
4. Hilarious Planet X option

I'm not married to this, I just want to get the ball rolling. "Like"?

Great start.

Not sure XenForo has the option of having the likes in particular areas, though, so we may just have to have "Yes", "No" or "Planet X" options.

I'm not the best wordsmith, but if you could add something about not having dislikes, that would be perfect.

I'll then post it in Community if you like.
Old 28th March 2015, 05:25 AM   #46
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Revised:

Dear Forumites, Icerat and TPTB are contemplating moving the forum software to XenForo, which would be a good opportunity for making some changes. There have been numerous debates about including a "Like" button through the years, but I don't believe a poll has ever been conducted. Now seems as good a time as any. Note: the poll is not contemplating a "Dislike," only a "Like" button.

It's not clear if XenForo could limit the placement of such a button, but if you'd accept it only in specific subforums (like Members Only) please vote "No" in the poll, but specify where you'd accept it in your comments. Thanks!

POLL: Should we add a "Like" button?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Undecided/no strong feeling
4. On Planet X, the buttons press you

I think we should only explain the mechanics of "Liking" in the comments if someone needs clarification.

And thanks for volunteering, Orphia. Feel free to change anything, of course.
Old 28th March 2015, 05:33 PM   #47
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Thank you, Ryan!

Poll is here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=290843
Old 29th March 2015, 05:52 AM   #48
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Thanks, Orphia. Looks great!
Old 29th March 2015, 06:05 AM   #49
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Of course, I'm assuming there is no "dislike" feature with XenForo.

ETA: Disliking is rude and awful.

But the places I'm keen on all use just the Like function, and it keeps me coming back, showing my admiration, and posting more.
You can "LIKE" and "UNLIKE"
Those are the defaults, there's no Dislike AFAIK in it. I just did a conversion of my own site and to tell the truth the most difficult thing was doing the settings for the conversion correctly (which only took a few minutes to figure out), and getting used to the new layout on the main page. The default Xenforo themes move the active users list to the right side of the screen, and I keep getting thrown off since I'm used to that stuff being at the bottom.

The ACP is also a lot less complicated, but similarly, it takes some getting used to as it's quite different in layout from vbulletin's.

I'm unsure of how it'll flow with this site since it's far larger but for me the conversion took about an hour to do, and not only did it work, but it far surpassed my expectations, and I had a rather decent performance boost from it.

So, all in all... decent so far...
Old 30th March 2015, 01:33 AM   #50
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Good stuff, Grizzly Bear!
Old 30th March 2015, 04:38 PM   #51
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I can honestly say, if a "Like" feature were added to the forum, then I'd most likely use it.
With that said, I would also say with all certainty, that if one wasn't added, I would never use it, ever.

Last edited by Mike!; 30th March 2015 at 04:39 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 05:11 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
(I totally want the "like" function, as I seem to be more active these days in places that have it.)
This question has been growing on me ever since the thread started: What do you mean by "more active"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 11:17 PM   #53
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This question has been growing on me ever since the thread started: What do you mean by "more active"?
I post more in those places, and spend more time keeping up with what's going on.

I used to be here most of my internet time, but now I spend less time here and more time elsewhere.

Hope that explains it.
Old 18th April 2016, 03:42 AM   #54
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yo, where we at bruh?

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2016, 12:19 AM   #55
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Bump!

@icerat #icerat

Old 20th April 2016, 05:22 AM   #56
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Does XenForo have a good mobile UI?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2016, 05:29 AM   #57
icerat
Philosopher

For the next 3 days there's a test version of xenforo up here

Last edited by icerat; 21st April 2016 at 05:44 AM.
icerat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 01:09 AM   #58
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Talking

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
I visited that forum. I was God. I was tempted to use that power.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:41 PM   #59
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2016, 04:24 AM   #60
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hmm. Spacebattles uses XenoForo...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 04:56 PM   #61
lpetrich
Muse

I apparently arrived late, because it's now a page for creating a Xenforo demo.

You can create one whenever you want to, and it will last 3 days. You can do not only ordinary-user stuff in it, but also admin stuff.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 06:15 AM   #62
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hmm, AH.com is also going to XenoForo. I tell your it's a conspiracy.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 01:38 PM   #63
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

I don't "like" anything.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 05:26 PM   #64
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I don't "like" anything.
And even if the function is there, you don't have to use it.

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2016, 10:45 AM   #65
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And even if the function is there, you don't have to use it.
I actively dislike useless functions.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2016, 04:01 PM   #66
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I actively dislike useless functions.
Well, this board is full of them. Events, for example.

Only Zuul.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 13th May 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 04:06 PM   #67
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think I'm going to start referring to this as "The Long-Awaited Upgrade That Never Comes" or LAUTNC.

Only Zuul.
Old 14th May 2016, 10:16 AM   #68
icerat
Philosopher

I think I'm going to start referring to this as "The Long-Awaited Upgrade That Never Comes" or LAUTNC.
I'll check if the domain is available
Old 14th May 2016, 05:22 PM   #69
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I'll check if the domain is available
If you do change the name to that, I think it would be an improvement on the current name.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 06:27 PM   #70
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If you do change the name to that, I think it would be an improvement on the current name.
...which, I remind you, was chosen through a period of consultation and voted on by the users of the forum.

Only Zuul.
Old 14th May 2016, 06:31 PM   #71
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

...which, I remind you, was chosen through a period of consultation and voted on by the users of the forum.

Tyranny of the majority.

On a properly liberated message board we could call it whatever we wanted to.

And the mods would make sure that it came up that way in a Google search.

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th May 2016 at 06:32 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 07:25 PM   #72
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

And can be changed at the whim of the owner. Or by another period of consultation and vote by the users of the forum.
Old 14th May 2016, 07:28 PM   #73
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And can be changed at the whim of the owner. Or by another period of consultation and vote by the users of the forum.
Why would the owner change it on a whim?

And of course it could be changed by a consultation and vote - that's pretty much true for anything. Microsoft could change its name by a consultation and vote of its shareholders. But again, why would they?

Only Zuul.
Old 16th May 2016, 02:25 AM   #74
catsmate
No longer the 1

If anyone's interested AH.com has migrated and it seems fine.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:48 AM   #75
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering what happened to the planned upgrade.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:53 AM   #76
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
Rat's on ice...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:13 PM   #77
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
That's a good question.

Only Zuul.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:48 PM   #78
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It is coming. Maybe sometime after Jesus Christ returns/arrives. I have it on good authority that the later will happen, so that means the former will happen. You guys are just impatient.

In the meantime we should generate as much hot air as possible to thaw out icerat.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:12 AM   #79
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It is coming. Maybe sometime after Jesus Christ returns/arrives. I have it on good authority that the later will happen, so that means the former will happen. You guys are just impatient.

In the meantime we should generate as much hot air as possible to thaw out icerat.
As the sign says in my mechanic's office:

If a man says he is going to do something then he is going to do it. There is no need to nag him every six months about it!

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 05:03 PM   #80
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Is it a money thing? Could we take up a collection?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics