ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 20th March 2017, 08:18 PM   #2561
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by michaelsuede View Post
As I did with the now infamous Bitcoin thread back in 2011, I am here to make another prophecy that could be potentially lucrative. Bitcoin was worth $20 bucks a coin when I made my original post. Today it's worth around $900.

I'm here to let you know that free energy generators will be hitting the market within a year, with mass production ramping up rapidly within two years. If you're able to short energy sector stocks and hold the position long term, you will definitely make your money back.

I did a full article on the company doing it here, but I'll summarize the main points below.

The "essentially free" energy generator was created by a company called Brilliant Light Power (BrLP), that was founded by Dr. Randell Mills, a Harvard trained medical doctor.

BrLP already has the “light bulb” portion of this generator fully prototyped and working. Obviously that’s the hard part since the rest of the parts for the generator already exist from off-the-shelf suppliers. Mills is projecting production units to be ready for delivery by the second half of 2017, with a fully prototyped working generator ready for field testing by the first half of 2017. Once Mills rolls out that first generator, be prepared for a monumental media **** storm to hit the public.

Don't be fooled by the naysayers who haven't done their homework like I have. They were wrong about Bitcoin and they are most certainly wrong about this as well.
Oh believe me, I'll be making a stink once the first prototype generator goes public. We might see that by February or March.
....or not.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:07 AM   #2562
markie
Critical Thinker

Mills latest lecture at Fresno State University

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dCzVUnnL00

Mills begins his lecture on the physics of the hydrino at around 20 min in.

Thanks Michael, I plan to watch the entire video later today. I watched the introductory message, where the guy described Mills as a "brilliant polymath". Couldn't agree more!
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:28 AM   #2563
markie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Why not, exactly? You've said that dihydrino molecules have specific and detectable optical transitions in the IR and RF, and of course if dark matter were instead composed of neutral hydrinos there would be a hydrino equivalent of the 21cm hydrogen emission line.

That 21 cm hydrogen line is an emission line, not an absorption line. But now that you are bringing up hydrogen's hyperfine line, yes the neutral hydrino has various predicted hyperfine lines, depending on what quantum p state the hydrino atom H(1/p) is in. See page 239, table 6.1 in Mills 2016 GUTCP.

Quote:
So now dihydrino gas is both soluble in liquids and has sufficient interaction with chromatography substrates to be separable from hydrogen, even though it's so non-interactive with every other form of matter to be undetectable when it forms dark matter?

Sure, of course both hydrino and dihydrino have physical properties and have interaction with physical substances. It's small hydrogen. It can form hydride compounds. Again, it is quite detectable on the bench, if you know what to look for. Detecting it in space is much more problematic, as the case for even molecular hydrogen gas demonstrates.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:33 AM   #2564
markie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Ah, the classic conundrum; has the poster posted total bollocks out of ignorance or in an attempt to mislead?

markie, there is a chromatographic technique used to separate gases, non-mythical ones at least, do you know what it is? Extra points for a response with minimal residual traces of Google.

Yes there are many chromatographic techniques. You want to give me points, how generous of you. If you're wondering, yes Mills has used chromatography to detect hydrino.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:40 AM   #2565
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by markie View Post
That 21 cm hydrogen line is an emission line, not an absorption line. But now that you are bringing up hydrogen's hyperfine line, yes the neutral hydrino has various predicted hyperfine lines, depending on what quantum p state the hydrino atom H(1/p) is in. See page 239, table 6.1 in Mills 2016 GUTCP.
Then, if there are more hydrinos than hydrogen atoms in the universe, as the conjecture that dark matter is made up of hydrinos, why aren't these transition lines dominant over the 21cm line? (Which, of course, is a pretty clear way to detect that there's a lot of hydrogen in the universe. )

Sure, of course both hydrino and dihydrino have physical properties and have interaction with physical substances. It's small hydrogen. It can form hydride compounds.
OK, we're getting into laughing dog territory here. Do you actually understand how ridiculous a suggestion it is that there could be a difference between compounds formed by reacting hydrogen with other species, and compounds formed by reacting your supposed hydrinos with other species? If not, would you like to muse on the difference between hydrides formed from hydrogen in its ground state and hydrides formed from hydrogen that was excited to a higher energy state just before forming the compound?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:06 AM   #2566
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Thanks Michael, I plan to watch the entire video later today. I watched the introductory message, where the guy described Mills as a "brilliant polymath". Couldn't agree more!
"Brillian polymath"? LOL Too bad he wasted so much time becoming a physician rather than his true calling, a physicist!

And during the first minute of the linked to video, there appeared the following splash card:

Hmmm... isn't that one of the biggest signs of crackpottery? If not, it sure should be.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:07 AM   #2567
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Yes there are many chromatographic techniques. You want to give me points, how generous of you. If you're wondering, yes Mills has used chromatography to detect hydrino.
I haven't fully kept up with this thread but I do recall hydrinos being touted as dark matter.

So gas chromatography can be used to detect dark matter, who'd have thunk it?
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:22 AM   #2568
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
"Brillian polymath"? LOL Too bad he wasted so much time becoming a physician rather than his true calling, a physicist!

And during the first minute of the linked to video, there appeared the following splash card:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...16b26a47ec.png

Hmmm... isn't that one of the biggest signs of crackpottery? If not, it sure should be.
It is the same as with Steorn they used the exact same sentence.

To which i respond : They also laughed and ridiculed bozo the clown.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:30 AM   #2569
smartcooky
Philosopher

Mills has been going on about this crap for 26 years so far, and we still have not seen a working model.

There have been several promises over the last 20 years that he would "deliver commercial products". Well, where are they?

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st March 2017 at 11:52 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:05 PM   #2570
smartcooky
Philosopher

... during the first minute of the linked to video, there appeared the following splash card:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then in a surprisingly high number of cases it turns out you're still wrong."

The splash card looks like a variation of the "Galileo Gambit"

It always amuses me when people who hold non-mainstream views invoke Galileo. It makes me think of the quote from Robert L. Park (emeritus professor of physics at the University of Maryland).

"Alas, it is not enough to wear the mantle of Galileo, that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:39 PM   #2571
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:33 PM   #2572
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks I watched the introductory message, where the guy described Mills as a "brilliant polymath". Couldn't agree more!
Still blindly falling for propaganda from the Mills camp when Mills book is full of ignorance, delusions and even lies, markie.
Part I: 37 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book
Part II: 24 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book

Questions about rather basic physics that you seem to deny in favor of Mills delusions.
24 February 2017 markie: Do you know about the Geiger–Marsden (Rutherford) experiment and its successors?
14 March 2017 markie: Do you understand that the mathematics of the Schrodinger equation means nonradiation from electrons in orbitals because electron energy is quantized?
14 March 2017 markie: Do you know that quantization of angular momentum is quantum mechanics and impossible in classical physics?
14 March 2017 markie: What is the measured size of electrons?

Your answers so far suggest ignorance about physics (and even this thread!) that is close to the same level as Mills.
15 March 2017 markie: A lie about "the non radiation is simply 'declared' and the math built around that"
15 March 2017 markie: Ignorance about the Schrödinger equation and energy levels.
15 March 2017 markie: Ignorant idea that a magnetic field turns randomly oriented electrons into 2 orientations.
15 March 2017 markie: A lie about unfamiliarity withy Mills book - I have analyzed a lot of it.
15 March 2017 markie: A lie about QM not explaining spin, see the Dirac equation.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 01:41 PM   #2573
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The splash card looks like a variation of the "Galileo Gambit"
That splash card is a quote attributed to Arthur Schopenhauer but not by that card!
Arthur Schopenhauer was a philosopher and was probably not talking about science. In science there is a vital "zeroth stage": "There is no such thing as truth, there is evidence" !
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 02:35 PM   #2574
Hans
Philosopher

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...16b26a47ec.png
Those who often show that statement fail to realize just how many ideas never make it past phase one - for obvious reasons.

I would suggestion Mill's believer look at Jennifer Bothamley's book 'Dictionary of Theories, which contains 5,000 theories - many of which never made it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Th...ifer+bothamley
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 02:38 PM   #2575
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Mills has been going on about this crap for 26 years so far, and we still have not seen a working model.

There have been several promises over the last 20 years that he would "deliver commercial products". Well, where are they?
Yes at this point the only way to rescue Mills' reputation and his idea would be toe deliver a functioning device that could be freely examined by others.

Baring that - SCAM
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:19 PM   #2576
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

And still the Emperor (Mills) has no clothes (hydrinos).
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:20 PM   #2577
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes at this point the only way to rescue Mills' reputation and his idea would be toe deliver a functioning device that could be freely examined by others.

Baring that - SCAM
At which point, he gets a Nobel prize
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:47 PM   #2578
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
At which point, he gets a Nobel prize
Not necessarily. A working device, that has the whole science behind how it works wrong, will not guarantee the Nobel Prize.

He still would need to actually produce for examination a hydrino, and that hydrino would need to actually fit his descriptions. Then hundreds if not thousands of physicists would need to get to work fixing the internal inconsistencies in Mills work and integrating it into known physics. He need not disclose how he produced his hydrino, just bottle some up and mail them to competent scientists for identification.

Basically Mills has almost guaranteed he can never even possibly win that award. A person can only be awarded a prize posthumously if he or she had already been nominated when they died. Mills isn't getting any younger. To even have a chance he should have actually produced a real hydrino long before now to give the rest of the scientific community a chance to independently examine the evidence.

He has no hydrino. Therefore his woo to explain the hydrino has no merit. And his hypotheses certainly don't explain other fields of physics better.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 21st March 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 05:21 PM   #2579
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
He has no hydrino. Therefore his woo to explain the hydrino has no merit. And his hypotheses certainly don't explain other fields of physics better.
...but, but he has faithful shills & minions plus every few years he makes wild claims - isn't that enough? lol
Old 21st March 2017, 05:47 PM   #2580
Matthew Cline
Muse

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Do you actually understand how ridiculous a suggestion it is that there could be a difference between compounds formed by reacting hydrogen with other species, and compounds formed by reacting your supposed hydrinos with other species?
To play devil's advocate: from what I understand, one property of the (alleged) hydrino is that its electron never, ever leaves the special below-ground-state. In a water molecule, wouldn't the electrons in the hydrogen atoms sometimes leave their ground state? The hydrino electrons in an oxygen-plus-hydrinos molecules wouldn't leave their ground state, which might lead to different chemical attributes.

Also, the property "hydrino electrons never leave the below-ground-state" makes me imagine that the hydrino electrons are very tightly bound to the proton. Again using water as an example, in a water molecule the electrons of the hydrogen atoms are pulled somewhat away from them towards the oxygen atom, leaving the hydrogen atoms slightly positive and the oxygen molecule slightly negative. I'd think it would be impossible to similarly pull a hydrino electron away from the proton, so in a oxygen-plus-hydrinos molecule it would have to be the oxygen molecule that donates its electrons to the hydrinos, resulting in a slightly positive oxygen atom and slightly negative hydrinos. I'm sure that the resulting molecule would have different chemical properties than water.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:05 PM   #2581
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

I'll take that as a "no"; that you don't know about chromatographic techniques used to separate gases. And thoughtfully confirmed by your last sentence; chromatography techniques are separation methods and are not themselves detection methods. But please do tell us what kind of detector Mills used to identify hydrinos which, being dark matter, do not interact electromagnetically with ordinary matter.

I'll say it too, you owe it to yourself to lay down that shovel.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:53 PM   #2582
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
...but, but he has faithful shills & minions plus every few years he makes wild claims - isn't that enough? lol
Apparently it is — if his pocketbook is the measure to go by...

But, geez, I'm certainly not as sciency as the guys here are, but even I could see in the introduction and first few minutes of that video that was linked where he seemed to contradict himself; his video explanation didn't seem to match up with what he claims according to the documents posted here.

I have a few questions, but I'm not certain I'll ask ISF'ers here about them yet. I'll go back and do more reading in the thread and see if they've already been answered.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 09:26 PM   #2583
Matthew Cline
Muse

Sure, of course both hydrino and dihydrino have physical properties and have interaction with physical substances.
IIRC from other threads here at ISF about dark matter, for dark matter to correctly account for the galaxy's rotation curve, that dark matter has to not interact with baryonic matter. That is, if dark matter could collide and rebound off of baryonic matter then the distribution of dark matter through the galaxy would be such that its gravitational effect lead to a different rotation curve than observed.

Could someone with more knowledge of astrophysics either correct or corroborate me on that?
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:02 AM   #2584
SezMe
post-pre-born

Mills latest lecture at Fresno State University

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dCzVUnnL00

Mills begins his lecture on the physics of the hydrino at around 20 min in.
I'm not going to waste 90 minutes of my time on Mills. How about providing a summary and key points.

Oh, and did he say when he will demo a prototype?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:20 AM   #2585
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm not going to waste 90 minutes of my time on Mills. How about providing a summary and key points.

Oh, and did he say when he will demo a prototype?

I only skimmed it but I caught a bit where he said field trials later this year and initial product next year.

So basically it's the same old "Real Soon Now" he's promised for decades.

Last edited by ferd burfle; 22nd March 2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed comments related to the OP progress predictions
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:25 AM   #2586
Aepervius

Originally Posted by Matthew Cline View Post
To play devil's advocate: from what I understand, one property of the (alleged) hydrino is that its electron never, ever leaves the special below-ground-state. In a water molecule, wouldn't the electrons in the hydrogen atoms sometimes leave their ground state? The hydrino electrons in an oxygen-plus-hydrinos molecules wouldn't leave their ground state, which might lead to different chemical attributes.
No, it would lead to a dissociation ,. quasi immediate. Heck it would not produce any molecule at all.

See, to give you an example, when you have two electron 1s of two H, and form the H molecule, the resulting function and electrons (or electron if H2+) are now on a shared Sigma orbital.

But here is the problem : if you have an electron below ground state as proposed, it cannot build an orbital as described , and stay in this stupid circle description mills uses ! In fact how would the density of probability of that Hy-H bond look like ? Good luck with that one trying to describe the potential well and still get an Hydrino. Hint : with 1/q with even q=2, the first "hydrino" stupid subsequence, the density of probability of the electron could not even come near the second H (remember 1s is -13.6 eV, hydrino is -27.2 eV).

Same with Water, but with sp3 hybrid orbitals. Those electron are "shared" with the O , they are not concentrated on circle around the H or hydrino or whatever. If they were there would be no molecule and immediate dissociation.

That is why hybrid hydrino + something else make absolutely no sense whatsoever even if you ignore the other non sense of the theory !

ETA: and if one pretend they form orbital which are different, you get worst problem as the theory of Mills does not handle MO at all.

Last edited by Aepervius; 22nd March 2017 at 01:39 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:39 AM   #2587
Matthew Cline
Muse

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
No, it would lead to a dissociation ,. quasi immediate. Heck it would not produce any molecule at all.

See, to give you an example, when you have two electron 1s of two H, and form the H molecule, the resulting function and electrons (or electron if H2+) are now on a shared Sigma orbital.

But here is the problem : if you have an electron below ground state as proposed, it cannot build an orbital as described , and stay in this stupid circle description mills uses !
Ah, so the 2-hydrino molecule is impossible, and if hydrinos existed they'd be monatomic, like noble gasses.

Quote:
ETA: and if one pretend they form orbital which are different, you get worst problem as the theory of Mills does not handle MO at all.
MO?
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:51 AM   #2588
Aepervius

Ah, so the 2-hydrino molecule is impossible, and if hydrinos existed they'd be monatomic, like noble gasses.

MO?
Sorry, Molecular Orbitals, I have the bad habits of using the acronym...

It would be monoatomic, and if dark matter as pretended, it would not interact with anything , or if WIMP not much at all. So you can guess what i think of the pretension there are spectra identifying hydrino as dark matter (or heck mass spectro or gas chromatography separation).

Last edited by Aepervius; 22nd March 2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:06 AM   #2589
smartcooky
Philosopher

Aha! Light Water....?

*** I'll just get my coat ***
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:29 AM   #2590
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

ISTM that one of two things is possible:

(1) Hydrinos cannot be ionized or hybridise the sub-ground state orbital with electron orbitals on other atoms, in which case they cannot form hydrides, in which case they cannot interact significantly with chromatography substrates, in which case chromatography cannot be a useful method of detecting them.

(2) Hydrinos can be ionized or form hybrid molecular orbitals with other atoms. In the former case the ionized hydrino is imply a proton and cannot be distinguished from other protons (unless the proton retains electron memory, in which case hydrinos exhibit homeopathic properties ), and in the latter the hybridized molecular orbital is the same as in a compound formed from hydrogen in its normal ground state. In neither of these cases is chromatography a useful method of detecting hydrinos.

As with every other property of hydrinos, this one contradicts itself as required to build the appropriate cover story.

And, of course, in no possible scenario could mass spectroscopy be of any use in verifying their existence.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:18 AM   #2591
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Also, the property "hydrino electrons never leave the below-ground-state" makes me imagine that the hydrino electrons are very tightly bound to the proton. Again using water as an example, in a water molecule the electrons of the hydrogen atoms are pulled somewhat away from them towards the oxygen atom, leaving the hydrogen atoms slightly positive and the oxygen molecule slightly negative. I'd think it would be impossible to similarly pull a hydrino electron away from the proton, so in a oxygen-plus-hydrinos molecule it would have to be the oxygen molecule that donates its electrons to the hydrinos, resulting in a slightly positive oxygen atom and slightly negative hydrinos. I'm sure that the resulting molecule would have different chemical properties than water.
That would make the hydrino more electronegative than oxygen and oxidation (loss of an electron) gets its name from oxygen becouse of its potential (electronegativity) to rip electrons from other atoms/molecules. In other words it would make the hydrino more reactive than oxygen.

No one can agree with Mills (even just as a devil's advocate) until Mills can at least agree with just himself.

A recent Dilbert about playing devil's advocate...

http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-03-18
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:24 AM   #2592
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

To play devil's advocate: from what I understand, one property of the (alleged) hydrino is that its electron never, ever leaves the special below-ground-state.
Wrong.

It, the electron, cannot move to a different state by absorbing or emitting a photon (per Mills' "theory", although markie has been rather, um, inconsistent on this point); however, if the hydrino has a sufficiently energetic collision, it can drop to a lower (fractional) level, or jump to a higher one, or escape the proton completely (i.e. is ionized).

Quote:
In a water molecule, wouldn't the electrons in the hydrogen atoms sometimes leave their ground state? The hydrino electrons in an oxygen-plus-hydrinos molecules wouldn't leave their ground state, which might lead to different chemical attributes.
You'd think so wouldn't you? However, not only markie but Mills himself is, um, conflicted on this point (and a great many others re hydrino compounds, including di-hydrino, the counterpart to molecular hydrogen).

Quote:
Again, you're applying logic to magic.

Per Mills, and markie, you can choose whatever logic or rationale you want ... as long as you buy into the, um, fantasy that a working prototype of a free energy generator will be unveiled in less than ten days' time.

Note: I'm not saying anything new that hasn't already been said by others, e.g. most recently, The Man.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:31 AM   #2593
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

Don't be silly, of could there's a molecular equivalent to H2! Although, to be fair, markie's posts contain some, um, ambiguity on this point.

In fact, someway upthread TT introduces the prolate spheroid shape of the "orbitsphere" that describes the electrons in just such a molecule.

Is such an idea internally inconsistent? Yes. Does that stop folk such as markie and TT continuing to promote Mills' "theory"? Don't be silly!
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 07:44 PM   #2594
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

The responses in this thread always amuse me. The people denying Mills accomplishments are bigger conspiracy theorists than the people who accept the half dozen or so validation reports.
michaelsuede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:02 PM   #2595
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The responses in this thread always amuse me. The people denying Mills accomplishments are bigger conspiracy theorists than the people who accept the half dozen or so validation reports.
All that's needed is any sort of public working prototype to sweep all those doubters and critics away...

The sort of working prototypes that Mills had in the early 1990s would do it.

Those will still work, right?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:13 PM   #2596
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

And still no hydrinos to be seen anywhere.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:22 PM   #2597
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Strange way for you to come back to the thread to "raise a stink."

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you'd be here complaining when Mills failed to deliver and not lamely trying to shore up his crumbling claims by trying to denigrate people who demolish them.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:51 PM   #2598
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

We know that those "half dozen or so validation reports" are not worth the paper they are written on because they were mostly done at BLP using BLP equipment run by BLP employees.

We know that "validation reports" are scientifically useless because reasonable people ask for independent verification of experiments, i.e. done by people unconnected with the original team and using their own equipment.

We can read that the Mills has failed for over 25 years to produce any "accomplishments" except bilking people of millions of dollars.

We do not ignorantly parrot whatever fantasies that Mills comes out with because we can understand the ignorance and even lies in his book.
Part I: 37 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book
Part II: 24 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:20 AM   #2599
fagin
Illuminator

You have a weird sense of humour.
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:34 AM   #2600
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Seeing this thread up the top of my subscription list I was amused pondering how such blatant ******** gets the mileage that it does under constant enviceration.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology