ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:00 PM   #281
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ignorance being a refusal to support the idiotic actions of the rioters....
No, ignorance being thinking there exists a "Black Bloc" group. And let's add that to the usual arrogance of right-wingers expecting leftists to care about their support or refusal thereof.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:01 PM   #282
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Can a brother get a laughing dog?

Fantastic!
So you are saying that after the teachers' strike in Brazil, this group you call the "Black Bloc" went to Berkeley to protest Milo?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:03 PM   #283
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,039
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
When someone is saying they want to deprive you of the home and life you have built in America would you be polite in your response? It's a question of perspective. You think you're protecting America, they are rightly fearful of their future. I don't agree with their tactics, but I do understand them.
So even if it is hurting their cause we should let it continue because. ..feeling s.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:03 PM   #284
sunmaster14
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9,683
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Conspicuous by its absence from any reply from Sunmaster, theprestige, TBD or the user who made the observation initially, mgidm86 - is an answer to the question. Deflect, deflect, deflect.
Why is that?

So I ask.

Again.

Why do the infinitesimally small number of nitwits who choose violence represent the whole of liberals in your mind, but the massive number of peaceful protesters that we saw at the Women's march don't?
I never claimed that they represented the whole of liberals. I had claimed that the liberals who had participated in the thread up to an earlier point had not actually denounced the violence as wrong - only as counterproductive. I have also claimed (perhaps here, but certainly elsewhere) that liberals are generally less tolerant of opposing viewpoints as conservatives are, at least among the highly educated people that I interact with.

I have my theories for why this is so. I suspect, though, that you, being liberal, don't want to read them.

Last edited by sunmaster14; 2nd February 2017 at 03:05 PM.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:05 PM   #285
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
So you are saying that after the teachers' strike in Brazil, this group you call the "Black Bloc" went to Berkeley to protest Milo?
The Rule of So! Fantastic example.

So did you think that we are not going to notice that you posted that in the companion thread here a couple of days ago to show what swell fellas the Black Bloc are (and the guys in Greece too)?

Mayhap you should contact your local anarchist/autonomous/anti-fascist group and see for themselves - a bit of empiricism.

Just a bit?

__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:05 PM   #286
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
So even if it is hurting their cause we should let it continue because. ..feeling s.
Who says it is hurting their cause?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:08 PM   #287
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The Rule of So! Fantastic example.

So did you think that we are not going to notice that you posted that in the companion thread here a couple of days ago to show what swell fellas the Black Bloc are (and the guys in Greece too)?

Mayhap you should contact your local anarchist/autonomous/anti-fascist group and see for themselves - a bit of empiricism.

Just a bit?

__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:09 PM   #288
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,039
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Who says it is hurting their cause?
The racist cheeto getting elected as backlash. Next question.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:10 PM   #289
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,742
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Who says it is hurting their cause?
Anybody who has any political sense.


What is sad is that their...and yours...obsession with violence is as bad as anything the right can produce.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:12 PM   #290
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,742
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
The racist cheeto getting elected as backlash. Next question.
I suggest you read the signatures as the bottom of Caveman's posts and understand what you are dealing with:Somebody who is a 100% supporter of the Black Block and their ilk.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:12 PM   #291
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,946
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
So even if it is hurting their cause we should let it continue because. ..feeling s.
I never said that. My point was that we can expect a lot more protests and probably violence. People will not go softly into that good night. No, no they will rage, rage against the dying of the light.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:13 PM   #292
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
The racist cheeto getting elected as backlash.
Are you claiming that Milo is going to get elected? Or are you claiming that black bloc tactics are responsible for Trump's election? Or what exactly?

Quote:
Next question.
So the answer to my question is "you". Any reason anyone should care about your musings on the subject?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:17 PM   #293
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It is odd, every time you post that, all I see is little white flag.

Fantastic.

spikes the ball in the end zone
__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:17 PM   #294
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I suggest you read the signatures as the bottom of Caveman's posts and understand what you are dealing with:Somebody who is a 100% supporter of the Black Block and their ilk.
You do realize that makes about as much sense as "somebody who is a 100% supporter of the Pincer Movement and their ilk"?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:19 PM   #295
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It is odd, every time you post that, all I see is little white flag.

Fantastic.

spikes the ball in the end zone


How exactly did this group you call the "Black Bloc" end up in Berkeley after the teachers' strike in Brazil?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:30 PM   #296
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,534
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Caught this one before I logged in.

I watched a young woman get pepper sprayed in the face while doing a TV interview. Another person was knocked out. I'm watching these asshats burn and destroy their campus - who will pay for this? Taxpayers?

Yeah right I'M whining?

You are sick, and your buddies over here our destroying their own campus.

You people need to calm the hell down - but then again, you, yes you since you support them, are once again playing to Trumps tune. You think people are going to tolerate this? Do you think you are convincing a single person that you are somehow right?

WWIII - I hope someday you all will look back and see how infantile your behavior is. To me it's twilight zone.

Meanwhile, two nights ago:

http://www.keyt.com/news/milo-yianno...poly/303247613

Not sure how this affects Jerry Brown's approval rating or how and why it relates to Sanctuary Cities. But it must, somehow, I suppose ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:32 PM   #297
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post


How exactly did this group you call the "Black Bloc" end up in Berkeley after the teachers' strike in Brazil?
The same way that you posted that article about the Black Bloc Boys in the other thread as evidence of what swell guys they were and told us all to contact our local anarchy collective for more information.

Now, you are here declaring that there is no such thing. Curious.
__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:34 PM   #298
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The same way that you posted that article about the Black Bloc Boys in the other thread as evidence of what swell guys they were and told us all to contact our local anarchy collective for more information.

Now, you are here declaring that there is no such thing. Curious.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:37 PM   #299
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,039
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Are you claiming that Milo is going to get elected? Or are you claiming that black bloc tactics are responsible for Trump's election? Or what exactly?



So the answer to my question is "you". Any reason anyone should care about your musings on the subject?
Wow you really couldn't understand that? Let me simplify it for you.

The average person is sick of being constantly harassed by the vocal fringe left, this caused enough social backlash that enough people in the middle of the political spectrum moved right to get the current grand wizard in chief elected.

Now instead of looking at this and saying "oh **** we ********** up" the fringe left doubles down worth this immature behavior.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:39 PM   #300
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
The average person is sick of being constantly harassed by the vocal fringe left
The "average person" being Milo and his supporters?

Quote:
this caused enough social backlash that enough people in the middle of the political spectrum moved right to get the current grand wizard in chief elected.
Of course, it's the fault of people employing black bloc tactics that Trump got elected. I'm sure it's got absolutely nothing to do with a reaction against the effects of neo-liberalism and austerity. Besides, I thought Putin-did-itTM.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 2nd February 2017 at 03:47 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:40 PM   #301
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
: white flag :

__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:41 PM   #302
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,464
nm
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:44 PM   #303
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
: white flag :

You are free to believe it means whatever you want it to mean.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:47 PM   #304
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,626
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think turning America into a Banana Republic is going to be as easy as you think.
Yes, I can see that. I think that was my point.


Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Or if you really think that, then go out and get a rifle and ammunition, because armed resistence will be the only way to restore democracy.
The opponent will not just be 'the government' - it will be the tens of millions of self-appointed patriots, too. All those white supremacists who've been stockpiling guns for 30 years are pretty convinced that 'restoring democracy' is exactly what Trumps doing. It won't be a popular uprising - it will be a civil war in a country with a nuclear arsenal.

Will it be worth it? The Russians decided it wasn't. They saw what happened in Yugoslavia and opted for dictatorship instead of mass violence.



Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Or maybe you just indulging in "Despair Porn",which I have seen quite a bit off here lately.
Neither, hopefully. Just realism.
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:49 PM   #305
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
You are free to believe it means whatever you want it to mean.
Well, I have already explained what it means.

You label it a group when it serves your purpose, and then claim it is not when it does not.

Don't worry about it, TBD is here to keep you nice and consistent.
__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:52 PM   #306
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Well, I have already explained what it means.
Yes you've explained multiple times what you believe it means.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:56 PM   #307
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 2,788
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
You are free to believe it means whatever you want it to mean.
__________________
I drink to the general joy o' th' whole table. --William Shakespeare
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:01 PM   #308
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Amazing how it never even enters their mind that it might mean: "I have no interest in wasting time with trollish idiocy".
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:07 PM   #309
phiwum
Philosopher
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,980
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is there such a thing? Great British food is kind of an oxymoron.
Nonsense. I love British food. Good and heavy.

Dutch food, on the other hand. ..
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:16 PM   #310
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,731
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Amazing how it never even enters their mind that it might mean: "I have no interest in wasting time with trollish idiocy".
That would indeed be amazing because what I was in fact doing was quoting your own post right back to you in response to your request that I do so, and to which you have replied with either strawmen or emojis (except for the above sad little rant) and that is after you accused "so-called" liberals of ignorance for using the term Black Bloc in the same exact way that you did in the post I quoted.

Now, do you have any further questions about the existence of the Black Bloc, or just going to post another emoji.

You have the freedom to choose.
__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations

Last edited by The Big Dog; 2nd February 2017 at 04:34 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:18 PM   #311
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,356
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Evidence? How did you exclude any other left-wing antifascist position?
They're in uniform. Anarchists aren't left-wing.

Quote:
All we know is that they support a "no platform" position.
No mention of a left-wing position then.

Quote:
Would you say "everybody" hates "no platform"? And who exactly is "everybody"?
Everybody on the left-right political spectrum - which anarchists aren't.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:23 PM   #312
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,483
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Wow you really couldn't understand that? Let me simplify it for you.

The average person is sick of being constantly harassed by the vocal fringe left, this caused enough social backlash that enough people in the middle of the political spectrum moved right to get the current grand wizard in chief elected.

Now instead of looking at this and saying "oh **** we ********** up" the fringe left doubles down worth this immature behavior.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
I see no reason to think that the average person is ever harassed by some "vocal fringe left" in the first place.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:25 PM   #313
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,558
I remember my first protest.

I was scared the cops would surge towards us and take us away.

Now?

Nothing makes my heart thunder more than seeing an amorphous mob of black fabric heading towards or hearing from around the corner, "Ah, ahn-tee, ahn-tee-cap-a-tal-ees-tah."

That's probably the most reliable signal of when it's time to stop filming for a moment and make sure my gas mask is ready as I mumble to myself, "oh ****, here we go again..."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:29 PM   #314
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,356
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No, ignorance being thinking there exists a "Black Bloc" group.
It might well do. It's the kind of name anarchists go for.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:31 PM   #315
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,486
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Wow you really couldn't understand that? Let me simplify it for you.

The average person is sick of being constantly harassed by the vocal fringe left, this caused enough social backlash that enough people in the middle of the political spectrum moved right to get the current grand wizard in chief elected.

Now instead of looking at this and saying "oh **** we ********** up" the fringe left doubles down worth this immature behavior.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
Yep.

We have met the enemy, and they are us.
__________________
On vacation.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:34 PM   #316
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,356
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I see no reason to think that the average person is ever harassed by some "vocal fringe left" in the first place.
Apparently it's the norm in the US. It's a dreadful place from what I've been hearing recently.

Here we just have manic street preachers.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:35 PM   #317
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That would indeed be amazing because what I was in fact doing was quoting your own post right back to you in response to your request that I do so
Except that I did not refer to them as a group in that post. In fact that post was a clear refutation of your unsupported tales about characteristics you claim are held by people who employ black bloc tactics.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 2nd February 2017 at 04:37 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:36 PM   #318
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,806
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
They're in uniform.
And? Do you have some evidence for your claim that these are anarchists?

Quote:
Anarchists aren't left-wing.
Evidence that anarchists aren't left-wing? Who exactly is left-wing according to you?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:38 PM   #319
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,626
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Evidence that anarchists aren't left-wing? Who exactly is left-wing according to you?
Yeah, technically Communists are Anarchists (the theory is that Communism is the elimination of government enforcement, it's people self-organizing to work together in their own best interests).
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:40 PM   #320
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,483
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Apparently it's the norm in the US. It's a dreadful place from what I've been hearing recently.

Here we just have manic street preachers.
Actually, that's what we have in the US as well - and of course, college students that are overly strident about whatever.

But in day-to-day, it's mostly twitter trolls spewing racism, misogyny, and anti-semitism from what I can see. Still not much at the personal level, offline.

ETA: as far as these Black Bloc idiots go, I learned of them (here in Maryland!) when they showed up at the Sean Bell protests back in 2009 and started trashing things. The regular protestors, of course, hated them. IOW, the idea that this is something new for the Trump Era is a joke.

Last edited by Mumbles; 2nd February 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.