ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 04:07 PM   #2121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Also she will not be a government employee and thus will be exempt from disclosure rules.
If Trump wants to give her an office in the residential part of the White House, that is his business. It is wanting her in the "Official Part" of the White House that gets my hackle.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:08 PM   #2122
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she referenced that poll. The alternative is that she just invented it and pulled it out of her backside.

Which do you prefer? Do you prefer that she insults a huge swath of americans based on facts, or that she insults a huge swath of americans based on her imagination?
Well, that's one alternative, but not the most likely one. Are you under the impression that the one poll you found is the only publicly available one with similar information? Are you unaware that presidential candidacies typically undertake their own polls, which are not released to the public?

I mean, I'm sure you wouldn't knowingly introduce a false dichotomy.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:10 PM   #2123
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He didn't grab her genitals, so he is really doing much better than people expect. This was one of his most presidential moments since his speech to congress.
He didn't mention the War either.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:13 PM   #2124
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Many adult children live with their elderly parents to provide the special care they need.

Ouch.

I'll say again... I wish missing daughter Tiffany (the Kelly Bundy of the clan) were in DC. If nothing else, it would make the Secret Service agent's lives interesting.
(not that they need the help this past month)

--- I'm wondering if son Eric can be compared to Grandmaster B Bud. Probably not. He's taking a ton of SNL flak for being "slow" (though I've seen little of him to decide) but he seems to want little more than to continue to run the Trump Winery... though not a standout, it does appear to be the one remaining success from Donald's many failed ego driven name branding attempts.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:13 PM   #2125
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Trump wants to give her an office in the residential part of the White House, that is his business. It is wanting her in the "Official Part" of the White House that gets my hackle.
I was only half kidding with my remark about adult children taking care of their old folks. Maybe Ivanka is the only one that can reign Trump in, maybe she was volunteered by Trumps family/ inner circle to make sure he doesn't go off the rails.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:14 PM   #2126
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Do you agree then that 1/3 of Clinton's supporters are racists?
Save it for the cross-burning, Adolf.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:18 PM   #2127
Thor 2
Master Poster

So now I read the FBI are investigating connection between Trumps associates and the Russians:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...-links/8371516

What will be the ramifications of this if it holds true?

Quote:
Donald Trump's claim that the Obama administration had "wire-tapped" his Trump Tower headquarters has been thoroughly and publicly debunked by FBI director James Comey, who also publicly confirmed the bureau was investigating possible links between Russia and Mr Trump's associates.

Last edited by Thor 2; 20th March 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:28 PM   #2128
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
And, Trump's energy is a major problem, which is why Trump has the lowest approval rating of any new president and why his approval rating is now the lowest since becoming president.
That's before he's had time to disappoint his true believers.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:29 PM   #2129
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Well, that's one alternative, but not the most likely one. Are you under the impression that the one poll you found is the only publicly available one with similar information? Are you unaware that presidential candidacies typically undertake their own polls, which are not released to the public?

I mean, I'm sure you wouldn't knowingly introduce a false dichotomy.
Alright then: third alternative, Clinton did a secret study, that hasn't been released to anyone, that can't be verified for using appropriate and valid survey technique... but that totally supports the thing she said.

Not really sure that's any better either.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:30 PM   #2130
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Save it for the cross-burning, Adolf.
Did you just call me a nazi?
Old 20th March 2017, 04:32 PM   #2131
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Did you just call me a nazi?
You'll find the answers to all your questions by applying the Bible Code to what you imagine Hillary Clinton might have said, but didn't!
Old 20th March 2017, 04:34 PM   #2132
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You'll find the answers to all your questions by applying the Bible Code to what you imagine Hillary Clinton might have said, but didn't!
I see. So not just a nazi, but also a conspiracy theorist. Nice to know.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:34 PM   #2133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
That's before he's had time to disappoint his true believers.
He has already disappointed quite a few of the "Lesser of two evils" people who voted for him. Buyers regret is starting to set in.
Look, Trump will always have 35 to 40% of the vote. Any Republican will get that...it is the independents who decide elections.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #2134
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Do you agree then that 1/3 of Clinton's supporters are racists?
You know, the election is, indeed, history.
You can let it go, now. We actually have other problems that are more important than this particular correctnessfest...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #2135
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ivanka is getting a White House office:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...e-house-236273

It is the Security Clearence part that worries me.
It's called paying your family members salaries, make up fake jobs for them.

Besides, there are probably more offices available there at the White House than Trump has cronies willing to fill them.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:38 PM   #2136
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Alright then: third alternative, Clinton did a secret study, that hasn't been released to anyone, that can't be verified for using appropriate and valid survey technique... but that totally supports the thing she said.

Is Hillary Clinton the topic of this thread?
Old 20th March 2017, 04:39 PM   #2137
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Besides, there are probably more offices available there at the White House than Trump has cronies willing to fill them.
They're purposely not paying her. Avoids disclosure rules and makes insider trading easier.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:46 PM   #2138
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Also she will not be a government employee and thus will be exempt from disclosure rules.
The First Lady is not usually a paid employee either.

What do you want to bet that "not an employee" doesn't mean no expenses are paid on the government dime. And she can collect a salary from the re-elect Trump fund. Does she have paid staff?

These people find endless ways to skip out on taxes and filch out of various coffers.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:55 PM   #2139
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Doubt there'll be any salary... none of them have any need for it anyway.

Donald has already gotten more than eight year's salary in paid trips to Florida, plus the protection and travel costs for his ongoing rallies not covered by his already existent 2020 CREEP (he's in Nashville today I believe).

Of course he'll "donate" that POTUS salary... he says Treasury OR a charity. What're the odds that "charity" is the Trump Foundation (or whatever it gets renamed) ?

As for Ivanka... with her hubby's family holdings picking up a cool $400 Million on the 666 Park Ave. deal (does that figure include the $200 Million mortgage write down?), she's go to go as well. Thanks China.

That's actually well timed... she may not be surviving on her product lines much longer.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:58 PM   #2140
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The First Lady is not usually a paid employee either.

What do you want to bet that "not an employee" doesn't mean no expenses are paid on the government dime. And she can collect a salary from the re-elect Trump fund. Does she have paid staff?

These people find endless ways to skip out on taxes and filch out of various coffers.

Good points.

Old 20th March 2017, 05:02 PM   #2141
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What makes the Ivanka story interesting is that there is no love lost between her and Steve Bannon.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th March 2017, 05:40 PM   #2142
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

What makes the Ivanka story interesting is that there is no love lost between her and Steve Bannon.

Anything specific (Judaism ?) beyond him being an Alt-Right douche?

Old 20th March 2017, 05:42 PM   #2143
skyeagle409
Master Poster

37% approval rating from the latest Gallup. Ouch.
It means he is losing the undecided and the independents...and they decide elections.

And yet, there are those who continue to believe that Trump is good for America. Let's say:

Make America Great Again: Dump Trump!!!

Last edited by skyeagle409; 20th March 2017 at 05:44 PM.
skyeagle409 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 05:43 PM   #2144
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Anything specific (Judaism ?) beyond him being an Alt-Right douche?
She likely gets between him and Trump.
Old 20th March 2017, 05:54 PM   #2145
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
She likely gets between him and Trump.
Apparently her Husband Jared Kushner is engaged in a constant power struggle with Bannon in the White House.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th March 2017, 05:59 PM   #2146
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Apparently her Husband Jared Kushner is engaged in a constant power struggle with Bannon in the White House.
This struggle for Trump's attention sure reminds me a lot of the Nazi German "government" Kershsaw describes in "The Nazi Dictatorship".
Old 20th March 2017, 05:59 PM   #2147
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Thanks.
My first guesses were something with Jared and his religion, though the two could butt heads over anything.

The other would be the inverse of TB's... that Bannon comes between her and daddy (I'm ascribing the animus more to her but it obviously could be both ways... for the same situation). I don't get that a multi-decade political operative like Steve really cares too much about a couple of meddling neophytes.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 20th March 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:24 PM   #2148
wareyin
Philosopher

Well, that's one of the two other alternatives I gave you. To me, a highly partisan Trump defender finding a single poll that only shows that half his supporters have racist views, and thus using it to try to defend those poor, poor, picked upon racists as not really deplorable fits the bill a bit better.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:32 PM   #2149
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she referenced that poll. The alternative is that she just invented it and pulled it out of her backside.

Or she paid attention to the kind of people who were showing their support for Trump, and why they were supporting him.

Quote:

Which do you prefer? Do you prefer that she insults a huge swath of americans based on facts, or that she insults a huge swath of americans based on her imagination?

She didn't need to imagine anything. The kind of people who were supporting Trump were proudly flaunting their prejudices and bigotry for the whole world to see.

Oh, I forgot for a minute.

You were studiously not looking.

No wonder you're having trouble grasping reality. You avoid it.
Old 20th March 2017, 08:37 PM   #2150
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

--- I'm wondering if son Eric can be compared to Grandmaster B Bud. Probably not. He's taking a ton of SNL flak for being "slow" (though I've seen little of him to decide) but he seems to want little more than to continue to run the Trump Winery... though not a standout, it does appear to be the one remaining success from Donald's many failed ego driven name branding attempts.

Maybe because The Donald hasn't been running it?
Old 20th March 2017, 08:41 PM   #2151
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

As for Ivanka... with her hubby's family holdings picking up a cool $400 Million on the 666 Park Ave. deal (does that figure include the $200 Million mortgage write down?), she's go to go as well. Thanks China.

That's actually well timed... she may not be surviving on her product lines much longer.

No problem. She just needs some more (not a) plugs from Kellyanne on national TV
Old 20th March 2017, 08:42 PM   #2152
Bob001
Philosopher

Stephen Colbert says Trump is killing PBS so he can build condos on Sesame Street. He adds that Trumps's killing the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities because he resents anybody who's well endowed.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:51 PM   #2153
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Stephen Colbert says Trump is killing PBS so he can build condos on Sesame Street. He adds that Trumps's killing the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities because he resents anybody who's well endowed.

Ronald Grump builds the Grump Tower
(Sesame Street, Jan 14,1988)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th March 2017, 08:56 PM   #2154
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Ronald Grump builds the Grump Tower
(Sesame Street, Jan 14,1988)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Saw that tonight on Chris Hayes, unbelievable foretelling, two decades ago. It says Trump has not changed and this jerk that is POTUS is who he has always been. The voting public was conned.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:08 AM   #2155
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I'm curious, does Trump ever not lie?
I am not sure. That would require him recognizing any objective reality outside of his own desires for what he thinks is true. So he makes all kind of factually incorrect statements but are they really lies when he believes them?

Honestly that is far more frightening that if he was lying all the time, because then he would at least have some understanding of the truth.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:12 AM   #2156
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He has already disappointed quite a few of the "Lesser of two evils" people who voted for him. Buyers regret is starting to set in.
Look, Trump will always have 35 to 40% of the vote. Any Republican will get that...it is the independents who decide elections.
Which is really kind of surprising, he has been exactly the president he showed us he would be on the campaign trail. Because he is still on it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:14 AM   #2157
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
You know, the election is, indeed, history.
You can let it go, now. We actually have other problems that are more important than this particular correctnessfest...
And she will never see that so many of trumps supporters saw his racism as a big selling point, because he wasn't PC and told it like it is. That shouldn't make any difference at all in any sense when talking about their bases.

Are democrats racist, sure but racism was not a big selling point in why people supported them, unlike with republicans.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:15 AM   #2158
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Is Hillary Clinton the topic of this thread?
It is to her, she needs to continue to justify not caring about trump winning the election.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:48 AM   #2159
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
During the briefing, Spicer sought to distance the Trump campaign from aides who have come under scrutiny for their contacts with Russia after they were the subject of a line of questioning during the House committee hearing. He dismissed Carter Page, an informal foreign policy adviser to Trump, and Roger Stone, a longtime Trump confidant, as “hangers on”.

“To look at some individual that was there for a short period of time or separately individuals who really didn’t play any role in the campaign and to suggest that those are the basis for anything is a bit ridiculous,” he added.

But Spicer’s claim that Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manger, had only played a “limited role for a very limited amount of time” drew immediate skepticism from the press corp. Manafort joined the Trump campaign in March 2016 before being promoted to campaign manager, and resigned amid scrutiny of his business dealings to pro-Russian leaders in Ukraine.

Spicer also called former national security adviser Michael Flynn a “volunteer of the campaign”. Flynn was an adviser to the Trump campaign and spoke on the first night of the 2016 Republican national convention before being appointed national security adviser once Trump won the election. He was forced to resign last month after misrepresenting his contacts with the Russian ambassador to Washington.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ean-spicer-fbi

Quote:
As the focus on Manafort intensified Monday, the White House sought to distance Trump from the veteran GOP operative. Manafort took control of Trump’s campaign during a pivotal stretch last spring, when the candidate was working to clinch the GOP nomination and unite the party, remaining at the helm until mid-August, when he was forced to resign amid scrutiny over his work in Ukraine.

Press secretary Sean Spicer declared from the White House briefing room podium that Manafort “played a very limited role for a very limited amount of time.”

“This is part of an investigation into the former president, Viktor Yanukovych, on suspicion of creating a 'criminal organization,’” said Gorbatyuk.

The office’s most recent line of inquiry — into Manafort’s possible relationship with Yanukovych during the months-long Euromaidan protests that began in late 2013 — stems from texts apparently hacked from the cellphone of Manafort’s daughter Andrea.

In one March 2015 exchange of text messages that appears to be between Andrea Manafort and her sister, Andrea Manafort seems to suggest that their father bore some responsibility for the deaths of protesters at the hands of police loyal to Yanukovych during the protests.

“Don't fool yourself,” Andrea Manafort wrote. “That money we have is blood money.”

Manafort has acknowledged that Andrea Manafort was hacked, and he corroborated the authenticity of at least some of the text messages, which were posted in a data file on a so-called darknet website affiliated with a hacktivist collective.

He has said he wasn’t in Ukraine during Euromaiden, and he asserted that his work in Ukraine was “open, transparent and focused on doing all that I could to promote policies that were pro-Western” and focused on “moving Ukraine into the [European Union].”
https://secure.politico.com/story/20...-russia-236286

Note that Viktor Yanukovych and his party of regions was the largest and most powerful pro-Russian political party in Ukraine and he fought to keep Ukraine firmly in Russia's economic and political control until he was forced to flee Ukraine, leaving much of his ill gotten gains behind including his luxurious Mansion. To get a grasp of how important Yanukovych and his pro-russian policies were to Russia you only have to note that when he was ousted Russia quickly invaded Crimea and started it's active military intervention in eastern Ukraine.

No one can claim have worked with this man and yet have worked to "promote policies that were pro-Western” and “moving Ukraine into the EU". He's hoping that people are dumb and uniformed enough that no one calls his bold-faced lie. At best he was there simply to give the impression that Yanukovych was "pro-western" and wanted Ukraine in the EU even though his actions clearly said otherwise.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 21st March 2017 at 03:51 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 04:34 AM   #2160
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is to her, she needs to continue to justify not caring about trump winning the election.
I think she's beaten that dead horse to a fare-the-well, but...

...she never gave me the impression of "not caring" about the election results.

Curious if you could point out what gave you that impression.

Her attitude - and she can correct me if I'm wrong - is more along the lines of the good old Serenity Prayer.

And "Acceptance" is the stage of grief that some here seem to be having trouble attaining.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics