ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th March 2017, 05:34 PM   #361
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Exactly, this is the guy who shrugged off 'pussygate'. If Sunmaster 14's suggestion about the likely contents is accurate just make them public, the speculation about what was in them was potentially far more damaging without the benefit of hindsight. Now Trump is in the Oval Office what possible excuse is there not to make them public? If they contain no evidence of financial ties to Russia he has nothing to lose, unless they contain something even worse of course.
He's calculated not releasing them wouldn't hurt him. He was correct, give a reason why he should bring that up now and release them? How could it possibly help him?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:35 PM   #362
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Cool story bro!
It's not actually a story "bro" it's called an opinion.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:40 PM   #363
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Blow that. You would cast me as a "leftist" whatever that means today, yet I just posted in support of sunmaster.

This is a clear indication of a certain mindset.
This only takes a wee bit of thinking, you are liberal, so yes you would get that label.

The mindset is easily understanding my political enemies?
Old 6th March 2017, 05:45 PM   #364
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
:facepalm:

Trump sucks and is unqualified, but he got the job.

Can I get a second and let's move along?
Move along where? To a place where members of a forum shouldn't discuss a "president" making baseless accusations against his predecessor?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:57 PM   #365
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

You sir purr
Old 6th March 2017, 06:02 PM   #366
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Only the most diehard opponents can even pretend that this allegation is not worth pursuing. There is a lot of smoke there.

Take a look at this.

Smoke?

There aren't even any smudges in there.

Maybe some vapor.
Old 6th March 2017, 06:05 PM   #367
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Once again, you are confused. The NSA collects crap from all over the world, and communications by Americans inside the US inevitably get caught in the net. If the FBI wanted to look into Trump's communications, it would either have to (through the criminal division) go to an Article III court and get a warrant or it would have to (through the national security division) go to a FISA court and get a FISA warrant. After Obama's executive order, the NSA could just sift through the information without a warrant at all, hand over interesting tidbits related to US persons of interest to the FBI (again without a warrant). In practice, the FBI could probably continue the sifting without a warrant. In theory, the FBI would need a warrant, but it would also have an easier time establishing probable cause of criminal activity or threat to national security.

Anybody who doesn't think the timing is suspicious is clearly biased. It may turn out to be wholly coincidental, but that's not the way to bet.

Conservatives have been a the front of the line for years complaining that our security agencies aren't doing a good enough job of sharing information.

So Obama agrees to something which improves that sharing and it's evidence of a nefarious scheme to get Trump.

Yeah. Right.

Old 6th March 2017, 06:09 PM   #368
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Checks And Balances are meant to keep a President from becoming a dictator. Trump behavior, though reprehensible, has not quite reached the stage where it becomes a constitutional crisis.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:11 PM   #369
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Move along where? To a place where members of a forum shouldn't discuss a "president" making baseless accusations against his predecessor?
Problem is though despicable behavior, it is not illegal or even an gross abuse of power.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:17 PM   #370
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Smoke?

There aren't even any smudges in there.

Maybe some vapor.
Not to mention we already know all that. It's no secret Flynn was caught lying because the Russian ambassador's communications were tapped. I'm surprised the practice would need expanding.

It still has absolutely zero to do with Trump's nonsense Obama was tapping his wires. Sorry, "tapping his wires" cracks me up.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:18 PM   #371
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Problem is though despicable behavior, it is not illegal or even an gross abuse of power.
The "President" claimed Obama bugged his personal phones at Trump Tower. Not "maybe", or "possibly", but stated as a fact. That's quite a smear, if it turns out there is no reasonable basis for such an accusation. In that case, once Dump is out of office, he should be sued to the point of real pain.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:19 PM   #372
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
This has to be the best way of saying made up a bunch of BS I have ever seen. I think I'm going to steal it.
I wonder if Trump claiming that "a very credible source" told him that Obama's birth certificate was a fraud is also Trump making "an intuitive bet that something fishy has been happening".

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Did you happen to catch Mark Levin on Fox and Friends as he laid out 7 articles from various liberal news sources?
Levin had seven articles from "liberal news sources" detailing the wiretaps that Obama put on Trump at Trump Tower, did he? Do tell.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:26 PM   #373
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder a bit about this. I understand that a sitting President is immune to civil lawsuits, such as libel, for actions taken as part of their official duties as President but not from their unofficial duties. Is making up stuff part of the new official duties of being a President?

Okay- that might be hard to maintain in a court. But more realistically, I do see Trump's actions here as an abuse of power. Making such dramatic, serious and yet unsupported charges against an individual (now a private citizen) that have the potential to seriously impact the individual's life and reputation strikes me as an extraordinary abuse of power. Can a President make a list of people he/she does not like and just spit out any dreadful idea that comes to their crazed mind as an attempt to discredit them without it being an abuse of power? Can Trump under the auspices of being President accuse me of me of being a serial murderer and cannibal (at least it would be in the more acceptable order, right?) with no evidence and this be considered okay?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:09 PM   #374
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Also shows your cost basis and percentage of ownership, iirc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The schedule k-1 is not attached to the 1040. You would only see the net income ,Ein name and a few other items separately reported.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:12 PM   #375
Stacko
Philosopher

Checks And Balances are meant to keep a President from becoming a dictator. Trump behavior, though reprehensible, has not quite reached the stage where it becomes a constitutional crisis.
His approach to the presidency feels reminiscent of FOTL approach to the court of law. The sustained assault will cause cracks of exasperation that will be used as victories.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:17 PM   #376
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I wonder a bit about this. I understand that a sitting President is immune to civil lawsuits, such as libel, for actions taken as part of their official duties as President but not from their unofficial duties. Is making up stuff part of the new official duties of being a President?

Okay- that might be hard to maintain in a court. But more realistically, I do see Trump's actions here as an abuse of power. Making such dramatic, serious and yet unsupported charges against an individual (now a private citizen) that have the potential to seriously impact the individual's life and reputation strikes me as an extraordinary abuse of power. Can a President make a list of people he/she does not like and just spit out any dreadful idea that comes to their crazed mind as an attempt to discredit them without it being an abuse of power? Can Trump under the auspices of being President accuse me of me of being a serial murderer and cannibal (at least it would be in the more acceptable order, right?) with no evidence and this be considered okay?
You're a cannibal and serial murderer?
Old 6th March 2017, 07:21 PM   #377
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
The schedule k-1 is not attached to the 1040.
I used to have a handful, and I thought they were, as supporting documents.

But I could be wrong, as I have an accountant do my final prep and submission.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:30 PM   #378
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I used to have a handful, and I thought they were, as supporting documents.

But I could be wrong, as I have an accountant do my final prep and submission.
Mine went in with the rest. It's all part of the return.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:39 PM   #379
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

eeyore1954 is right and I stand corrected.

This should clarify it:

"Purpose of Schedule K-1
The corporation uses Schedule K-1 to report your share of the corporation's income (reduced by any tax the corporation paid on the income), deductions, credits, and other items. Keep it for your records. Don't file it with your tax return unless backup withholding is reported in box 13 using code O. (See the instructions for Code O. Backup withholding, later.) The corporation files a copy of Schedule K-1 with the IRS."

Source: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1120ssk/ch01.html

"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 6th March 2017 at 08:21 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:45 PM   #380
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I was always told in the past that bugging doesn't happen, and what can you do about it?
Buggering certainly happens. You can plug up the receptive location of the person bugged if you choose to stop it!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:46 PM   #381
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Thus morning on Today, Savannah Guthrie kept trying to get Trump deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to answer her question about whether Trump got his information from Breitbart or from an actual source, and Huckabee Sanders kept dodging.
So, which was the bugger and which the buggee???

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:49 PM   #382
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
You would hope so.
That has been pointed out by various legitimate news sources over the last several weeks

Wash this space!

Old 6th March 2017, 07:51 PM   #383
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Glad you agree that all the evidence so far points to the conclusion that Trump was lying.

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
The US intelligence agencies seem to regularly monitor foreign governments. I seem to remember a stushie about the monitoring of Germany, a NATO ally. So I am pretty sure they monitor Russian communications big time. They didn't need to go looking for Flynn, Flynn came running to the Russians and gave himself away in the process.
No, I don't agree that Trump was lying. There were wiretaps. Barry says he had nothing to do with them. We'll see.

Trump's called for a full investigation. Why would he do so if he knows what he said is made up? And you'd think Barry and the Dems would support a full investigation so that Trump can proven a liar and unstable. The fact that they're opposed to when speaks volumes.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:55 PM   #384
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I stand corrected.

This should clarify it:

"Purpose of Schedule K-1
The corporation uses Schedule K-1 to report your share of the corporation's income (reduced by any tax the corporation paid on the income), deductions, credits, and other items. Keep it for your records. Don't file it with your tax return unless backup withholding is reported in box 13 using code O. (See the instructions for Code O. Backup withholding, later.) The corporation files a copy of Schedule K-1 with the IRS."

Source: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1120ssk/ch01.html
Well, hells. I did keep a copy, though...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:57 PM   #385
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

I do believe that there has been an effort by the "deep state" to undermine Trump's Presidency. I also believe that this effort has been led by Obama loyalists and appointees who are still in government, or who are leaking from outside the government.

You do of course have a plethora of extraordinary evidence to back up the claims that there exists a "deep state".

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together, who has been following Twitter since Trump took office can see that there are many 'rogue' Twitter accounts that purport to be staffed by people in assorted government departments.
That all started after Trump tried to muzzle the National Park service from tweeting pictures of inauguration day crowds. There are over a dozen such accounts at present, and whether or not you take them at face value, they do indicate that a lot of US govt. staff are ready willing and able to leak stories to the media.

His administration is leaking like a sieve because he's pissed off a lot of the people that work for the government with his antics. No 'deep state' required.

Quote:
My general impression is that Trump's ties to Russia are nothingburgers. He has the level and number of ties one would expect for a billionaire, particularly one who lives in New York City, which has a huge Russian population and is one of the global playgrounds for Russian oligarchs.
So you are saying he has business ties to Russia? He has explicitly denied this. Are you calling him a liar?

Quote:
Trump's allegations, thinly-sourced as they are, at least provide some pushback.
I think calling them thinly sourced is being far too generous, he's just making stuff up or he's swallowing Breitbart articles whole.
Ambrosia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:59 PM   #386
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nothing but the best and brightest in this cabinet.
#finetunedmachine
Ambrosia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:07 PM   #387
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The "President" claimed Obama bugged his personal phones at Trump Tower. Not "maybe", or "possibly", but stated as a fact. That's quite a smear, if it turns out there is no reasonable basis for such an accusation. In that case, once Dump is out of office, he should be sued to the point of real pain.
I think Obama can file suit for libel. I think he should.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:16 PM   #388
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
No, I don't agree that Trump was lying. There were wiretaps. Barry says he had nothing to do with them. We'll see.
The accusation was that the president had Dump's personal, Trump Tower phone system wiretapped. Present the basis for such an accusation.

Quote:
Trump's called for a full investigation. Why would he do so if he knows what he said is made up?
What makes you think Dump knows anything, beyond what he reads on Prison Planet?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 6th March 2017, 08:44 PM   #389
portlandatheist
Master Poster

It's not actually a story "bro" it's called an opinion.
It is a delusion.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:45 PM   #390
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
You're a cannibal and serial murderer?

Some people say.
Old 6th March 2017, 08:47 PM   #391
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump's called for a full investigation. Why would he do so if he knows what he said is made up? And you'd think Barry and the Dems would support a full investigation so that Trump can proven a liar and unstable. The fact that they're opposed to when speaks volumes.

What gave you the idea they are opposed to it?
Old 6th March 2017, 08:49 PM   #392
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Are you keeping up? Doesn't seem like it.

Re the investigation Trump calls for, turns out all Trump has to do is make a phone call to Comey, who is under Trump's jurisdiction and order the FISA warrants declassified.

Either Trump has no clue what his job is as POTUS, or he's full of it. And pretty much the evidence is overwhelmingly supporting the latter.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:54 PM   #393
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Re the investigation Trump calls for, turns out all Trump has to do is make a phone call to Comey, who is under Trump's jurisdiction and order the FISA warrants declassified.

Either Trump has no clue what his job is as POTUS, or he's full of it. And pretty much the evidence is overwhelmingly supporting the latter.
Actually, it's both.

Trump doesn't have the first clue what it means to be President. He still thinks it is a reality show.
Old 6th March 2017, 08:57 PM   #394
phiwum
Philosopher

He's calculated not releasing them wouldn't hurt him. He was correct, give a reason why he should bring that up now and release them? How could it possibly help him?
There's one reason I can think of. Decent folk tend to keep their word.

But, of course, Trump is not decent. You know he's lied about releasing his returns, you guess that he's lied about how much he donates to charity (and that's a good guess), you also reckon that his bald accusation that Obama wiretapped him is nothing more than mere intuition, and so he is misleading the public there as well.

But not to worry. I'm sure he's telling us the truth in everything else.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 09:09 PM   #395
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
You do of course have a plethora of extraordinary evidence to back up the claims that there exists a "deep state".

<snip>

Unlikely.

The "deep state" isn't an actual thing, with offices and meetings and henchpersons.

It's more of an amorphous concept, suitable for whipping out and pointing toward in the absence of any cogent reply.

When ya got nothin', throw nothin' at the wall and see if it sticks.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:11 PM   #396
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

But not to worry. I'm sure he's telling us the truth in everything else.
I'm willing to make an intuitive bet he's not.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 6th March 2017, 09:15 PM   #397
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Unlikely.

The "deep state" isn't an actual thing, with offices and meetings and henchpersons.

It's more of an amorphous concept, suitable for whipping out and pointing toward in the absence of any cogent reply.

When ya got nothin', throw nothin' at the wall and see if it sticks.
You elitists just don't understand that Glenn Greenwald needs a term to explain why leaks he likes are heroic, while leaks he doesn't like are treasonous. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 6th March 2017, 10:19 PM   #398
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

No offense, but trumpf has been shown/proven to lie a lot so anything he says needs proof it is true from one or more uninterested persons if it is to be even slightly believed.

Wash this space!

Old 6th March 2017, 10:20 PM   #399
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

The accusation was that the president had Dump's personal, Trump Tower phone system wiretapped. Present the basis for such an accusation.

What makes you think Dump knows anything, beyond what he reads on Prison Planet?
Or pulls dark and foully odiferous from his nether regions to spread and devour!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 6th March 2017, 10:22 PM   #400
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Either way he is full of it. Of course he would not be so full of it if he could give up feasting on it!!!!!

Wash this space!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics