ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2017, 08:02 PM   #81
Fudbucker
Philosopher

The Sunday news shows should be interesting.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 08:03 PM   #82
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
And I'm tired of people whining about it instead of actually addressing the topic.

So what? Just address the topic and ignore the crap. It's real easy to do.

I'm also of the camp the CP should stop using the stupid term. It offers opportunities for derails and is about as effecting a debating tactic as poking your little brother when he says "Stop poking me!"

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 4th March 2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: deleted over-covered material
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 08:18 PM   #83
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

When did the Carter Page fiasco on AC360 air? Sometimes Trump is just trying to distract, but quite often he's a step ahead of a big tell.

Was Page on Trump's staff at the time? How about Manafort? My cat could get warrants to tap those guys' phones.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 08:28 PM   #84
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by logger View Post
We'll head into the future and watch your fuhrer being frogged marched.
I know you are but what am I?

Typical.
Old 4th March 2017, 08:45 PM   #85
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I know you are but what am I?

Typical.
Lol

You're sure good for laughs.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 11:39 PM   #86
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm also of the camp the CP should stop using the stupid term.
So, you propose peeps repurpose the superb prose "usurper"?
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:33 AM   #87
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, I constantly use "great orange turdblossom" and have been for about a month, to no complaints. Obviously it has reached consensus. Conservatives and other regretful Trump supporters seem sensitive about "usurper" (maybe they're having trouble sleeping at night for their part in it?) but are fine with "Great Orange Turdblossom".

And far be it from me to annoy the conservatives and Trumpistas, so I'll stick with it. Others should try it.

(Many thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy for giving me the term "turdblossom".)
Old 5th March 2017, 12:41 AM   #88
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Amazing the Dems couldn't beat these clowns.
They overestimated the intelligence of the average voter. Disappointing, but also liberating...
Old 5th March 2017, 12:51 AM   #89
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Well, I constantly use "great orange turdblossom" and have been for about a month, to no complaints.
Doesn't mean we like it.

Snide comments about Trump's appearance and references to fecal matter are childish. Please just refer to him as 'Trump' - that alone is sufficient...
Old 5th March 2017, 05:02 AM   #90
Stacko
Philosopher

When did the Carter Page fiasco on AC360 air? Sometimes Trump is just trying to distract, but quite often he's a step ahead of a big tell.

Was Page on Trump's staff at the time? How about Manafort? My cat could get warrants to tap those guys' phones.
It aired on Friday.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:05 AM   #91
Stacko
Philosopher

You have to love the cunning master plan Trump thinks Obama came up with:
  1. Wiretap the opposition
  2. Gather damaging info
  3. Say nothing
  4. Let him win
  5. Ride off into the sunset

Pure 9/11 truther logic.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:09 AM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My opinion, use all the slurs you want, they are amusing, but they don't belong in the thread title.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:25 AM   #93
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I constantly use "great orange turdblossom" and have been for about a month, to no complaints. Obviously it has reached consensus. Conservatives and other regretful Trump supporters seem sensitive about "usurper" (maybe they're having trouble sleeping at night for their part in it?) but are fine with "Great Orange Turdblossom".

And far be it from me to annoy the conservatives and Trumpistas, so I'll stick with it. Others should try it.

(Many thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy for giving me the term "turdblossom".)
Name calling is a matter of personal taste. It's usually not worth disputing. "Usurper" is an implicit claim of fact, about the political process. Claims of fact tend to get some attention around here.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:46 AM   #94
imodium
Thinker

If he wasn't president he would be mayor of crazytown.
Its funny that his supporters here tactic is to attack the thread title rather than the actual topic.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:02 AM   #95
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
So you're saying the FISA courts are corrupt?

Funny, I've heard not a single Republican Congressman or Senator make such a charge.
Then you haven't paid much attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/u...ance.html?_r=0
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:07 AM   #96
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

No one uses the word corrupt in that article, either.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:23 AM   #97
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
Its funny that his supporters here tactic is to attack the thread title rather than the actual topic.
Usurper seems like the wrong word.
"a person who takes a position of power or importance illegally or by force"

Other than that, it sounds fine: Trump did accuse Obama of spying. Not personally, but the Obama administration. And maybe "spying" isn't the best choice, but it's still better than usurper.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:29 AM   #98
C_Felix
Master Poster

https://heatst.com/world/exclusive-f...ies-to-russia/

I put that ^^^ in another thread, but it applies here.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:54 AM   #99
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No one uses the word corrupt in that article, either.
Beyond simply not using the word, the article doesn't even describe corruption. Possibly abuse of power, maybe different interpretations of the scope of a law, but not corruption.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:18 AM   #100
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Finally something that makes Watergate look quaint in comparison
Old 5th March 2017, 07:25 AM   #101
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I am generally quite willing to consider that any and all insults are suitable to the trump, but my main problem with calling him a usurper is that it minimizes the role of the voters in his position. Even if it's true that he cheated and lied and used subterfuge to gain his position, the principal blame for his victory is on the people who voted for him despite the clear indication that he was an incompetent fool spouting principles and practices that bring discredit on us all.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:30 AM   #102
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

This was an intelligence-gathering operation because a criminal evidence gathering operation was previously shot down by the fisa court.

Drip, drip, drip indeed.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:33 AM   #103
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

This was an intelligence-gathering operation because a criminal evidence gathering operation was previously shot down by the fisa court.

Drip, drip, drip indeed.
Source?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:36 AM   #104
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Source?
Trump's conspiracy addled mind.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:38 AM   #105
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is now asking for Congress to look into claims that Obama had him wiretapped..

Is there actually something to this or is Trump just doubling-down until there *has* to be something to it just because it's been mentioned so much ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39172719
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:39 AM   #106
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Source?
I'm watching this week with George Stephanopolous. Michael mukasey stated this. He said he based it on Adam schiffs committee wanting to talk to the counter intelligence agents involved in this.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:39 AM   #107
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Trump is now asking for Congress to look into claims that Obama had him wiretapped..

Is there actually something to this or is Trump just doubling-down until there *has* to be something to it just because it's been mentioned so much ?

It's always projection...

So who is/was he spying on?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:40 AM   #108
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
My first impression: Holy crap!

My second impression: I would like to be able to discuss this in a thread which does not have such a tendentious title.
Yeah, same here.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:41 AM   #109
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Same pattern as GOP voter fraud accusations. Make an unsubstantiated claim then announce an investigation to prove it that ultimately proves the claim false which they will ignore.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:42 AM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I know you are using "traitor' to echo the language of Trump detractors, but if a traitor is someone who commits treason, doesn't the U.S. have to be at war with someone?

Though who knows, the concept of a clearly defined war seems to be wobbly at this point.
Aiding an enemy in war is just one of the easier to understand forms of treason. Just like a formal declaration of war is just one of the easier to understand definitions of war.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:45 AM   #111
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Apropos of nothing,

I'd watch the hell out of a movie where the former POTUS snaps and won't give up the job and winds up stalking the current POTUS.

*Scene Oval Office, the President gets a call from the Secret Service*

"Quick Mr. President get out of there... we've traced the source of the wiretapping... get out Mr. President! Do you hear me get out! The wiretapping is coming from inside the Oval Office!" (Lightning flash, scare chord, cat jumps into frame, possible hawk screech.)
Old 5th March 2017, 07:45 AM   #112
Stacko
Philosopher

Tom Cotton has stopped taking Trump seriously.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:46 AM   #113
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Dismissing Trump worked so well in the past
Old 5th March 2017, 07:46 AM   #114
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Sunday news shows should be interesting.
Yup.
Former DNI James Clapper says on @MeetThePress that to his knowledge there was no FISA court order on any Trump Tower surveillance
He would know.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:49 AM   #115
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dismissing Trump worked so well in the past
I know we said this the last 2,345 times but this time, this time surely will be the crazy thing that finally makes Trump lose politically.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:49 AM   #116
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Trump just made a not-so-great week, MUCH MUCH worse.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:58 AM   #117
Stacko
Philosopher

I bet he used the same source.

Old 5th March 2017, 08:09 AM   #118
Whip
Muse

I bet he used the same source.

orly taitz?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 08:18 AM   #119
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
Even his attackers are attacking the thread title.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:30 AM   #120
Arcade22
Illuminator

He's obviously in on the conspiracy.

Trump would never lie about something as serious as this. It would be like saying that millions of illegal votes cast in favor of his opponent cost him the popular vote. He'd be crazy and completely reckless with his credibility to make claims like this without solid evidence. No one would ever take him seriously.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics