ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2017, 02:45 PM   #161
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
If Obama is innocent of the charges leveled by Trump, Trump owes Obama and the American people a HUGE apology
Oh I'm sure they'll find the whiff of a hint of some impropriety or at least one tiny flaw in something from one low level official which will make the multi-year investigation costing hundreds of millions all worthwhile
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 02:49 PM   #162
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Comey asks Justice Department to reject Trump's claims: report

FBI Director James Comey had reportedly asked the Justice Department to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election.

Senior American officials told The New York Times that Comey has said the president's comments about the wiretapping are not true and made the request of the Justice Department on Saturday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-claims-report
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 02:58 PM   #163
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Amazing what voters will vote for. Considering that Trump announced well in advance that he's a bigoted, incompetent liar, one must presume that this is what the voters wanted, and maybe it's time to stop blaming the Democrats for not running a greater fool.

Anyone who couldn't beat Trump doesn't deserve to be POTUS.
Old 5th March 2017, 03:04 PM   #164
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
"not saying its true, just that it needs to be looked into"
While getting the words "this is the largest abuse of power that, I think, we have ever seen" out there to do its subliminal work on the receptive.

If it's not true it's the most outrageous abuse of the President's twitter-pulpit that, I'm damn' sure, we've ever seen.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 03:07 PM   #165
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I said the same in 2000. Strange to think the bar was actually higher then, but so it goes.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 03:11 PM   #166
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Senior American officials told The New York Times ...
Are they still allowed to use unnamed sources? I thought Trump was going to do something about that. Too busy playing golf and bitch-slapping Arnie from a very safe distance, I suppose.

Old 5th March 2017, 03:12 PM   #167
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Oh I'm sure they'll find the whiff of a hint of some impropriety or at least one tiny flaw in something from one low level official which will make the multi-year investigation costing hundreds of millions all worthwhile
And justify another one.

Old 5th March 2017, 03:14 PM   #168
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Interview on MTP with James Clapper is chock full of good information. Watch it if you can.
I think it would be worthwhile to pay very close attention of what Clapper actually says, denies, and refers to.

When reading literally, he denies a FISA court warrant targeting Trump, Trump Tower, and the campaign. Which still leaves the possibility of a FISA warrant targeting specific US citizens, who happened to work for Trump, for the campaign, and in the Trump Tower.

If I'm not mistaken, he also refers only to FISA warrants obtained by the agencies which he was responsible for. Which means his denial does NOT cover FISA obtained by the FBI.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 03:17 PM   #169
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
As POTUS doesn’t Trump have access to all the evidence snd intelligence he needs on this?

Why would he need anyone else to set up an inquiry to find out?

He's admitting he has nothing by asking Congress to investigate.
At least he'll be eager to share his knowledge of the affair with the Committee. Unless it's subject to audit, of course, in whcih case sadly he won't be able to.

It's that or bone-spurs.

Old 5th March 2017, 03:23 PM   #170
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
I think it would be worthwhile to pay very close attention of what Clapper actually says, denies, and refers to.

When reading literally, he denies a FISA court warrant targeting Trump, Trump Tower, and the campaign. Which still leaves the possibility of a FISA warrant targeting specific US citizens, who happened to work for Trump, for the campaign, and in the Trump Tower.
No doubt. It also leaves open the possibility that other persons were targeted and subsequently contacted people associated with Trump.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, he also refers only to FISA warrants obtained by the agencies which he was responsible for. Which means his denial does NOT cover FISA obtained by the FBI.
He was pretty definite that he'd have been in the loop if there had been an FBI FISA warrant, although he does end with a rather weak "not to my knowledge".

Old 5th March 2017, 03:33 PM   #171
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

If Obama is innocent of the charges leveled by Trump, Trump owes Obama and the American people a HUGE apology
I'm sure that will come right after he apologizes to the disabled reporter he mocked.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 03:40 PM   #172
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
If Trump never had any evidence, that is he knowingly made false claims, then shouldn't he be impeached or voluntarily demit the office of the Presidency?
The false claims are both weird and despicable, but it's hard to make the case they rise to the "high crimes and misdemeanors" hurdle for impeachment.

Which is why I mentioned censure as a first and more feasible goal.

The question is how many Republicans would go along with it.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:11 PM   #173
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
As POTUS doesn’t Trump have access to all the evidence snd intelligence he needs on this?

Why would he need anyone else to set up an inquiry to find out?

He's admitting he has nothing by asking Congress to investigate.
He would have to read it. Fat chance pretty well covers that option!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:20 PM   #174
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
You mean Trump, Russia, and the sheer stupidity of the Duck Dynasty / Honey Boo Boo contingent.

That's a heck of a hurdle.
Old 5th March 2017, 04:41 PM   #175
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is his third title using it and some of us are tired of the nonsense.
...I've been here since 2003, and ridiculous thread titles is a staple of this place. Who can forget the infamous "Amanda Knox guilty - all because of a cartwheel?" thread? You can take my "Responsible Gun Owner" thread titles from my cold dead hands.
banquetbear is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:43 PM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
.... Which means his denial does NOT cover FISA obtained by the FBI.
Yes it did, he specifically included the FBI. In the meantime, Comey has weighed in his corroboration.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:45 PM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
...., although he does end with a rather weak "not to my knowledge".
They all use that language, it's just prudent.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:47 PM   #178
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...I've been here since 2003, and ridiculous thread titles is a staple of this place. Who can forget the infamous "Amanda Knox guilty - all because of a cartwheel?" thread?
Yeah, but it turned out Knox actually was guilty. Trump hasn't even come to trial yet.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:40 PM   #179
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...I've been here since 2003, and ridiculous thread titles is a staple of this place. Who can forget the infamous "Amanda Knox guilty - all because of a cartwheel?" thread?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:46 PM   #180
Minoosh
Philosopher

I wonder if the pointless tweet about Arnold was supposed to be a distraction.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:49 PM   #181
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Trump is openly lying to the American people if he never had any evidence that Obama wire tapped the Trump Tower.

James Clapper claimed there was no wire-tapping of Trump's Tower.

How can Trump constantly invent fictitious events virtually everyday and still be fit to continue as President of the USA?
He isn't and never was. If he was unfit before the election, continuation is no problem.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:06 PM   #182
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Mr. Trump is well known to not always pay what he owes. I don't expect that behavior to ever improve.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:45 PM   #183
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Yeah, but it turned out Knox actually was guilty. Trump hasn't even come to trial yet.
You might want to recheck the final Supreme Court decision, though the EHRC has still to rule on the one remaining charge. But there is a different thread for that, somewhere over there ---->

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:54 PM   #184
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Am I the only one who wants to see Obama call Trump out on this? To have the former President actually call a press conference and say, "You say I tapped your phones? Well, you're the President now, ************. You have evidence? Let's see it."
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:00 PM   #185
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Am I the only one who wants to see Obama call Trump out on this?

I am with you! I want to highlight just how unfit Trump is as president.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:03 PM   #186
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It deliberately poisons the topic for fair discussion.
I think fair discussion is likely to be impossible in the case of Mr. Trump and his follies, but am inclined to say that in the remote chance that it is, one might as well use the word Trump alone, as it covers a multitude of sins, and serves well as an epithet by itself, and might prevent some of us from slipping when we realize how close the word "usurper" comes to "urineslurper."

I have begun using "trump" as a verb, as in "trump that." and as a noun as well, as in "what a pile of trump."

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:14 PM   #187
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

a judge doesn't need to be convinced that there is solid evidence of criminal activity. All that needs to be demonstrated is probable cause and that's not a very high threshold to get over. In the previous 6 years, of the thousands of requests for a warrant to a FISA court, none had been refused. For all we know the golden shower dossier was used to support the application and that's been shown to be pure fiction.

Anyhow, whatever the grounds, they were proven to be unfounded. Trump's clean.

Let's see, you believe that the same Barry who wiretapped Merkel and had his CIA try to interfere in the French election would never do anything mischievous at home to influence an election's outcome.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:26 PM   #188
dejudge
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
a judge doesn't need to be convinced that there is solid evidence of criminal activity. All that needs to be demonstrated is probable cause and that's not a very high threshold to get over. In the previous 6 years, of the thousands of requests for a warrant to a FISA court, none had been refused. For all we know the golden shower dossier was used to support the application and that's been shown to be pure fiction.

Anyhow, whatever the grounds, they were proven to be unfounded. Trump's clean.

Let's see, you believe that the same Barry who wiretapped Merkel and had his CIA try to interfere in the French election would never do anything mischievous at home to influence an election's outcome.
Trump's clean??? There was no warrant. Trump's claim is pure fiction.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:46 PM   #189
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Because of course Obama had *no reason at all* to tap Trump's communications.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:52 PM   #190
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when Trump, supposedly, pivoted to a more Presidential tone? How long did that last?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:55 PM   #191
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Remember when Trump, supposedly, pivoted to a more Presidential tone? How long did that last?
I bet it rankles like hell, knowing he can turn it on when he wants, and then watching day after day as he doesn't turn it on when *you* want.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:58 PM   #192
Stacko
Philosopher

I'm looking forward to the Trumpkin faction of the GOP calling for a new Sandy Hook Commission when he tweets, "Sandy Hook was a hoax," after listening to InfoWars.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 08:09 PM   #193
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I bet it rankles like hell, knowing he can turn it on when he wants, and then watching day after day as he doesn't turn it on when *you* want.
No, just wondering why you think having a president who's apparently completely incapable of acting presidential more than one hour a month is a good thing.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 08:09 PM   #194
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'm looking forward to the Trumpkin faction of the GOP calling for a new Sandy Hook Commission when he tweets, "Sandy Hook was a hoax," after listening to InfoWars.
Why are you looking forward to that? I can see no upside there, for anyone.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:10 PM   #195
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

If he was convinced a foreign enemy actively tampered with the election, not only did he have a reason to, he had an obligation to get to the bottom of it.

Regardless, Obama can't order it. Only the justice department can.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:10 PM   #196
Stacko
Philosopher

I was being sarcastic.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 08:26 PM   #197
Lurch
Scholar

Knowing that Trump's "Presidential" modes are but temporary aberrations which are probably maneuvered into with great effort of will, perhaps it's better for him to forego the strain and just remain in his natural, befuddled, angst-addled 'Twitter-tween' persona.

The wide world wonders at the boorish, doltish, laughing stock of a mental case you poor Americans have saddled yourselves with. How's that 'outside the system', zero political experience thing working out? Maybe after all some time in political office in *some* capacity might be a good thing? At least so that a modicum of a track record might provide a clue as to suitability. Installing to the highest office in the land a complete novice in the political arena is bad enough. But Drumpf's manifest ineptitude--evident out of the gate--boggles a multitude of minds. It's like hoisting a copy clerk to the position of CEO.

2016 might go into the books as the year of the nihilist, Brexit and Drumpf being two lemming-like leaps over a cliff where enough folks checked their brains at the doors to the polling booths.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 08:28 PM   #198
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know, I get a laugh out of it. I'll get an even bigger one if he calls for investigations into Chemtrails, 9/11, and the Apollo Missions.

But seriously, I am amazed at the number of Right-Wingers on this board that apparently aren't aware that Trump is living inside his own reality, fueled by Brietbart and Fox News, and so still swallow whatever he says hook, line, and sinker. Did his notoriousness for making stuff up throughout his campaign not clue you in a little bit that you need to wait several days and news cycles before biting?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 09:51 PM   #199
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Because of course anything the fertile imaginations of Trump's fave websites can offer up without evidence should be given *serious consideration.*
Old 5th March 2017, 09:53 PM   #200
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I don't know, I get a laugh out of it. I'll get an even bigger one if he calls for investigations into Chemtrails, 9/11, and the Apollo Missions.

But seriously, I am amazed at the number of Right-Wingers on this board that apparently aren't aware that Trump is living inside his own reality, fueled by Brietbart and Fox News, and so still swallow whatever he says hook, line, and sinker. Did his notoriousness for making stuff up throughout his campaign not clue you in a little bit that you need to wait several days and news cycles before biting?
What do you mean? They're in there with him. Have our local Trump acolytes rejected even the most outlandish claim?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics