ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:42 AM   #241
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
A CNN reporter with contacts among White House staff said Sunday that Trump had become very angry Friday afternoon when he was preparing to head to Florida. Specifically he was angriest at senior staff for not doing a better job of managing the Sessions-Russia issue. Apparently the prez was blaming the senior staff for allowing Sessions to get maneuvered into a position where he had to recuse himself from any Trump/campaign/Russia investigations.

I think there is some reason to suspect Trump invented the Obama wiretapping issue at least in part to get the Sessions-Russia issue out of the news. In that regard it worked. Of course the down side is, it makes our prez look a little crazy.
Your posting reminds me of something that the well-known political writer David Brooks said the other day on the PBS News Hour show; to paraphrase:

'Trump is a really fast counter-puncher. When something comes out that is bad for him, then he will hit quickly back.

However, Trump is such a fast counter-puncher, that he sometimes hits himself in the face.'

This recent Trump wire-tapping nonsense makes me think that Trump has missed his intended target and has hit himself in face instead.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 07:47 AM   #242
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Because of course Obama had *no reason at all* to tap Trump's communications.
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Regardless, Obama can't order it. Only the justice department can.
Personally I doubt if President Obama ordered this alleged wiretapping but to say "Obama can't order it. Only the justice department can." is pretty naive.

Depends upon the definition of ordered.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:15 AM   #243
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
First of all, it wouldn't be politically incriminating either. Tax returns would not show anything with sufficient specificity to imply ties to the Russian government. Second, I doubt any such Russian investments or loans exist. They would have been dug up by now, given the number of Democratic party operatives and mainstream media reporters (but I repeat myself) that have been digging for the last year.
Your constant denials and defending of this piece of **** are tiresome. Doesn't it get maddening, having to go through all the mental gymnastics needed to do that?

If it weren't bad news for him he would have done it.
Old 6th March 2017, 08:38 AM   #244
seayakin
Graduate Poster

A CNN reporter with contacts among White House staff said Sunday that Trump had become very angry Friday afternoon when he was preparing to head to Florida. Specifically he was angriest at senior staff for not doing a better job of managing the Sessions-Russia issue. Apparently the prez was blaming the senior staff for allowing Sessions to get maneuvered into a position where he had to recuse himself from any Trump/campaign/Russia investigations.

I think there is some reason to suspect Trump invented the Obama wiretapping issue at least in part to get the Sessions-Russia issue out of the news. In that regard it worked. Of course the down side is, it makes our prez look a little crazy.
I also wonder if Trump is opening the door into a larger Congressional investigation. He may not like what they find.
Old 6th March 2017, 08:42 AM   #245
Crossbow

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
I also wonder if Trump is opening the door into a larger Congressional investigation. He may not like what they find.
When such a thing does happen, then I am sure that Trump will somehow try to blame Obama for it.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:42 AM   #246
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
Those spineless bastards will find whatever it is he tells them to find.
Old 6th March 2017, 08:48 AM   #247
Donal
Illuminator

First of all, it wouldn't be politically incriminating either. Tax returns would not show anything with sufficient specificity to imply ties to the Russian government. Second, I doubt any such Russian investments or loans exist. They would have been dug up by now, given the number of Democratic party operatives and mainstream media reporters (but I repeat myself) that have been digging for the last year.
1) Nice paranoid spin. the same mainstream media that gave him millions in free advertising and didn't even think to question his nonsense until it became a real possibility he'd be able to hurt this country as the President.

2) You may be right. His tax returns wouldn't tell us if he's owned by Putin unless he was dumb enough to use a well documented Russian front company to service his debt. He couldn't be that stupid/arrogant/short sighted, could he?

3) He is most likely hiding the fact that he claimed full price for the work of all those contractors he stiffed. That is a trip Club Fed.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 08:59 AM   #248
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
1) Nice paranoid spin. the same mainstream media that gave him millions in free advertising and didn't even think to question his nonsense until it became a real possibility he'd be able to hurt this country as the President.

2) You may be right. His tax returns wouldn't tell us if he's owned by Putin unless he was dumb enough to use a well documented Russian front company to service his debt. He couldn't be that stupid/arrogant/short sighted, could he?

3) He is most likely hiding the fact that he claimed full price for the work of all those contractors he stiffed. That is a trip Club Fed.
That wouldn't come out in his personal tax records though. My company could be running all kinds of scams (please note HMRC it isn't ) but my personal tax returns could be clean as a whistle.

Personal tax records could be used to determine whether he gives as much to charity as he claims - though I think it's accepted that he personally gives little or nothing and that it was his Foundation that did any charitable giving by funneling other people's cash - and whether he pays income tax - though his admission that he did not caused him no pain whatsoever.

IMO he managed to brazen out the whole tax records thing and the only people who care about it are people who wouldn't be voting for him anyway.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 09:17 AM   #249
elgarak
Illuminator

Apart from deflecting from Sessions, my guess for additional reasons for 45's tweet-burst was the breitbart report on "wiretapping". He knows what he's done and said, and after this report he fears that all of that is now known to his enemies. So he started to preemptively create an alternative narrative ("Obama did it").

However, he did not seem to have coordinated that with his friends, who are slightly better at doing such things than he is on his own. Which is not saying much; it appears that they're all not very experienced in political story maneuvering and steering.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 09:39 AM   #250
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I cannot even imagine what Trump's dark of night tweeting must do to his staff. Imagine going to bed each night having no clue what kind of bizarre nonsense you might have to defend and justify as soon as you wake up the next morning!

You come to consciousness and shakily click on a news site on your smart phone. And there it is, "Trump says Obama State Department run by reptilian aliens!" So after blearily quickly dressing, you drive into work thinking of some way, any way, of making this seem like something more than the demented ravings of a seriously mental ill individual who obtains all his information from the tabloids at the 7-11 checkout counter. And you know that your job depends on it, not matter how embarrassing it feels. Next you find yourself in front of the reporters trying to keep a straight face (and not cry either). And you probably will have to do it again tomorrow on a new topic!

I bet there is going to be tremendous burnout among these staffers and many will quit (or be fired) within months.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 09:40 AM   #251
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Your constant denials and defending of this piece of **** are tiresome. Doesn't it get maddening, having to go through all the mental gymnastics needed to do that?
Apparently, it does get maddening. Not for me though. I quite enjoy destroying the weak arguments of the so-called skeptics in this forum. Admittedly, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

Quote:
If it weren't bad news for him he would have done it.
Nope. It's the art of the deal. Why give up something for nothing? He didn't need to disclose his tax returns, so he didn't. I doubt there is anything particularly embarrassing in there except that he gives very little to charity, he has operating loss carryforwards, and he makes efficient use of the depreciation deduction on real estate.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 09:48 AM   #252
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Apparently, it does get maddening. Not for me though. I quite enjoy destroying the weak arguments of the so-called skeptics in this forum. Admittedly, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

Nope. It's the art of the deal. Why give up something for nothing? He didn't need to disclose his tax returns, so he didn't. I doubt there is anything particularly embarrassing in there except that he gives very little to charity, he has operating loss carryforwards, and he makes efficient use of the depreciation deduction on real estate.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:48 AM   #253
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

My first impression: Holy crap!

My second impression: I would like to be able to discuss this in a thread which does not have such a tendentious title.
I pretty much do not agree with you on anything, but this? Hyperbole just got chucked out the window as insufficient to the task. It matters not a whit what one's opinion may be of the man, he was elected according to the laws, rules and regulations in force at the time. Usurper? Get a grip.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:54 AM   #254
newyorkguy
Philosopher

There seems to be a growing clamor -- bipartisan, at least two House Republicans are on board -- that Trump release his tax returns. Nothing in them that will shed light on his business dealings in Russia? Don't be too sure. This was written five months ago by former White House ethics lawyers Norman Eisen and Richard W. Painter:
Quote:
As ethics counsels to the past two presidents, we dealt with both their tax filings and their Form 278's and so we know that Trump is wrong. His tax filings have an enormous amount of additional information which, in this case, could be critically important to determining whether his business overseas might affect his decision-making as president. That is because Trump’s 12,000-page tax return may tell us a great deal about his Russian and other foreign business ties that is not on his 104-page campaign financial disclosure. It’s now more vital than ever that we get that information in light of Trump's embrace of Russian hacking, leaking and interference in our election. Link
They also point out that Trump is on record as having stated:
Quote:
"I have no business there and no loans from Russia."
But one of his son's said in 2008:
Quote:
“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross section of a lot of our assets” and “we see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”
There's an obvious conflict there and it's too important to be ignored.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 6th March 2017 at 10:10 AM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:07 AM   #255
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Angela Merkel said that there was no bugging ?
Just kidding.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:09 AM   #256
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That wouldn't come out in his personal tax records though. My company could be running all kinds of scams (please note HMRC it isn't ) but my personal tax returns could be clean as a whistle.

Personal tax records could be used to determine whether he gives as much to charity as he claims - though I think it's accepted that he personally gives little or nothing and that it was his Foundation that did any charitable giving by funneling other people's cash - and whether he pays income tax - though his admission that he did not caused him no pain whatsoever.
Depends on how is businesses are set up...and if he was smart enough to do it right

Quote:
IMO he managed to brazen out the whole tax records thing and the only people who care about it are people who wouldn't be voting for him anyway.
So...the majority of Americans.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:10 AM   #257
Cleon
King of the Pod People

At a certain point, if Trump said 2 + 2 = 5, some people would start pontificating about the variable value of "2."
Old 6th March 2017, 10:13 AM   #258
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Only an audit would show the source of interest expense. It is just a line on a tax return (Aside from home mortgage interest.) Income from k-1's would show the net income/loss and there would not even be any detail of the various expenses.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:20 AM   #259
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

[snip].
If you re-read your post you will realize that you actually strongly confirmed NoahFence's statement. In fact although I obviously disagree with your self-congratulatory assessment of your success in rebutting others, you similarly helped confirm a suspicion that I have had for a long time: many (or most) of your posts appear (IMO) to be focused on feeling superior to other posters and their posts, rather than attempting to address or contribute to the argument itself.

That's okay. Carefully worded your approach seems acceptable within the MA, but that doesn't mean that it represents what I seek to gain from visiting the Forum.

But Trump must make it extra hard to rattle the chains of the liberal here without sometimes thinking "gee I wish he was just a little less crazy so I don't have to post all this nonsense so as to appear to defend him."

Last edited by Giordano; 6th March 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:25 AM   #260
Minoosh
Philosopher

So...the majority of Americans.
The majority of people who voted.

My tax return shows pitiful income, but I get a gift from my relative. Not on tax return. It also doesn't show my assets. But that's a 1040, not some 12,000-page document that discloses foreign investment income etc.

My question though: Isn't it trivially easy for the U.S. president to discover whether there was a FISA warrant authorizing the tapping of anyone's phone? I'm not really sure of the claim here. Obama didn't order the tapping? Fine. There was a warrant requested but none issued? One was issued, but there was no wiretapping? No warrant was ever sought? A criminal warrant request was rejected, prompting a request for the FISA warrant?

I need to read the news but I find it maddeningly vague sometimes. The reporter(s) or editor(s) have to really have their heads around something in order to write with clarity. If they don't, they'll patch it with duct tape or chewing gum in order to get on with the "he said, she said" stuff which is a waste of time. Lindsay Graham said he'd get to the bottom of it. I do believe him, though he has other positions I don't support.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:32 AM   #261
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
If you re-read your post you will realize that you actually strongly confirmed NoahFence's statement. In fact although I obviously disagree with your self-congratulatory assessment of your success in rebutting others, you similarly helped confirm a suspicion that I have had for a long time: many (or most) of your posts appear (IMO) to be focused on feeling superior to other posters and their posts, rather than attempting to address or contribute to the argument itself.

That's okay. Carefully worded your approach seems acceptable within the MA, but that doesn't mean that it represents what I seek to gain from visiting the Forum.

But Trump must make it extra hard to rattle the chains of the liberal here without sometimes thinking "gee I wish he was just a little less crazy so I don't have to post all this nonsense so as to appear to defend him."
Lol
Your post do exactly the same thing, most of you constantly complain to the Sunmaster about his posts. Seems he is proving his point of having his way with many who disagree with him?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:34 AM   #262
logger
Suspended

Quoting this because, well, it's fun!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:40 AM   #263
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
Your post do exactly the same thing, most of you constantly complain to the Sunmaster about his posts. Seems he is proving his point of having his way with many who disagree with him?
Blow that. You would cast me as a "leftist" whatever that means today, yet I just posted in support of sunmaster.

This is a clear indication of a certain mindset.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:43 AM   #264
eeyore1954
Philosopher

There seems to be a growing clamor -- bipartisan, at least two House Republicans are on board -- that Trump release his tax returns. Nothing in them that will shed light on his business dealings in Russia? Don't be too sure. This was written five months ago by former White House ethics lawyers Norman Eisen and Richard W. Painter:

They also point out that Trump is on record as having stated:

But one of his son's said in 2008:

There's an obvious conflict there and it's too important to be ignored.
Quote:
And in terms of high-end product influx into the US, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets; say in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia. There's indeed a lot of money coming for new-builds and resale reflecting a trend in the Russian economy and, of course, the weak dollar versus the ruble,
You think the fact that his son said there was a lot of money from Russian buyers of condos and the like back in 2008 is a conflict too important to be ignored.

To me this is like saying "pull it" proved WTC 7 was brought down by its owner whose name now escapes me (Silverstein?)
Old 6th March 2017, 10:48 AM   #265
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
You think the fact that his son said there was a lot of money from Russian buyers of condos and the like back in 2008 is a conflict too important to be ignored.

To me this is like saying "pull it" proved WTC 7 was brought down by its owner whose name now escapes me (Silverstein?)
I had never seen the quote in context. I agree that the meaning changes quite a bit.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 10:50 AM   #266
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
I don't think this is something we should continue in this thread. It is increasingly becoming off topic here and just plain bickering.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:55 AM   #267
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Lol
As with your fuhrer, trying honesty for a few just to see what happens may be an interesting and enlightening exercise.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:59 AM   #268
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
He also said "I can deny it". Which is not the same as "I deny it" or "I do not know".

There's also such a thing as "officially know", which goes along with the "I can deny". If he was told in private, without paper trail, he "does not know".
That's absurd, Clapper clearly said it did not happen.

If you want to parse and read anything into any if this you should be looking at Trump's repeating pattern of making baseless claims.

1) Say it happened.
2) Claim, "well people are saying."
3) Send the minions out to state Trump as POTUS has information we are not privy to. "I don't know and neither do you."
4) Say it should be investigated.

How many times do you need to see this pattern repeated before you recognize the man fabricates/believes far fetched conspiracy theories?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:05 AM   #269
sunmaster14
Philosopher

As with your fuhrer, trying honesty for a few just to see what happens may be an interesting and enlightening exercise.
As a first step, how about if you stop calling Trump "fuhrer" and instead refer to him by his actual title?
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #270
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's absurd, Clapper clearly said it did not happen.

If you want to parse and read anything into any if this you should be looking at Trump's repeating pattern of making baseless claims.

1) Say it happened.
2) Claim, "well people are saying."
3) Send the minions out to state Trump as POTUS has information we are not privy to. "I don't know and neither do you."
4) Say it should be investigated.

How many times do you need to see this pattern repeated before you recognize the man fabricates/believes far fetched conspiracy theories?
Clapper also denied to Congress, while under oath, that the NSA was collecting "any type of data at all on millions ... of Americans." So, it would be prudent to take his denials, particularly those not made under oath, with a large grain of salt.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #271
Crossbow

As a first step, how about if you stop calling Trump "fuhrer" and instead refer to him by his actual title?
Seconded!

One should not call Trump things like "fuhrer" because Trump has not earned that title (at least not yet he has not).

Instead, one should call Trump by the titles that he has earned such as:

Pussy Grabber,
Crook,
Liar,
Spoiled Brat,
Fraud,

and so on.

Old 6th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #272
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Agree.

Talk about poisoning the well!

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:13 AM   #273
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Is it OK if we refer to him as Moscow Donnie ?

Lying Donnie ?

Little Donnie ?

Crooked Donnie ?
Old 6th March 2017, 11:14 AM   #274
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

+1

Those who cannot bear the actual title this man has acceded to can instead refer to him simply by his name. First name, if you cannot respect him.

"Usurper" and "Führer" deprecate the posts made by those using such obvious hyperbole. They will being taken less serious, and not persuade anybody.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:17 AM   #275
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

Lying Donnie ?

Little Donnie ?

Crooked Donnie ?
No, he must be referred to as President (Donald J) Trump, to do anything else undermines your position and destroys your position.

OTOH referring to "Obummer", "Fauxcahontas" or "Hitlery" is absolutely fine and leftists and liberals had better toughen up and get used to the cut and thrust of vigorous debate
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:18 AM   #276
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Lying Donnie ?

Little Donnie ?

Crooked Donnie ?
Sure, if you don't want to take that first step. You can continue to crawl around in the muck I guess, but don't expect the rest of us to wait up for you.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:19 AM   #277
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Lying Donnie ?

Little Donnie ?

Crooked Donnie ?
I'd say it all depends on how childish you wish to appear.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:21 AM   #278
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Sure, if you don't want to take that first step. You can continue to crawl around in the muck I guess, but don't expect the rest of us to wait up for you.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I'd say it all depends on how childish you wish to appear.
Would I be childishly crawling around in the muck by myself, or with Trump ?
Old 6th March 2017, 11:29 AM   #279
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Seconded!

One should not call Trump things like "fuhrer" because Trump has not earned that title (at least not yet he has not).

Instead, one should call Trump by the titles that he has earned such as:

Pussy Grabber,
Crook,
Liar,
Spoiled Brat,
Fraud,

and so on.
I vote for 'God Emperor of all mankind'.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:34 AM   #280
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I vote for 'God Emperor of all mankind'.
God Emperor, eh?

The Spicer must flow.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics