ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:35 AM   #281
Babbylonian
Philosopher

And the distraction tactic continues to work, as this thread stops being about the baseless slander perpetrated by the current occupant of the Oval Office.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:39 AM   #282
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
As a first step, how about if you stop calling Trump "fuhrer" and instead refer to him by his actual title?
Lord Feltersnatch?
Old 6th March 2017, 11:48 AM   #283
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Lord Feltersnatch?
Baron Munchausen?
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:51 AM   #284
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Is it OK if we refer to him as Moscow Donnie ?

Lying Donnie ?

Little Donnie ?

Crooked Donnie ?
Trump has done his part to coarsen political discourse. Let's not follow his lead.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:52 AM   #285
Argumemnon
World Maker

Just the word and name "Trump" has become tainted.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:54 AM   #286
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
And the distraction tactic continues to work, as this thread stops being about the baseless slander perpetrated by the current occupant of the Oval Office.
Well, not much going on there. Trump read a conspiracy theory and bought it and some legislators think it's worthwhile to look into it.

Meanwhile, the DOJ ignores Comey.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:57 AM   #287
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Sure, if you don't want to take that first step. You can continue to crawl around in the muck I guess, but don't expect the rest of us to wait up for you.
How about "So Called President Trump"?

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 11:58 AM   #288
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tax returns don't show your net worth. Nor is it easy to infer net worth from taxable income. In any case, Trump is almost certainly a billionaire. Just his real estate holdings alone put him well over $1.5 billion, and it is virtually impossible for him to have enough unsecured, recourse debt to bring his net worth materially below that.
Any chance you could supply the rest of us with the financial data you have?
Old 6th March 2017, 12:05 PM   #289
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Well, not much going on there. Trump read a conspiracy theory and bought it and some legislators think it's worthwhile to look into it.

Meanwhile, the DOJ ignores Comey.
We could discuss the fact that yet more money will be wasted on pointless investigation of insanity emanating from the White House...sorry, a Florida resort.

Maybe it's a Republican thing.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 6th March 2017 at 12:07 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:08 PM   #290
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Why it's a page right out of The Dunce's playbook! My fave new nickname for our fuhrer. (Which is German for a "leader or guide.")

But seriously, when two men of the integrity of Norman Eisen and Richard Painter quote one of Trump's sons, as a source that Trump has business ties to Russia (despite his apparently dishonest denial) I think it's unlikely they're referring to condo sales.

As an example, from a CNN report:
Quote:
Trump partnered with the Bayrock Group, a company run by Soviet immigrants, and according to a lawsuit filed, financed by Russian and Kazakhstan money. Together, they developed Trump properties in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and New York. They also planned on opening a Trump Tower in Moscow. However, Trump said in a deposition that the plan fell through after media reports began questioning Trump's net worth. The partners with Russian ties in the United States backed out....Trump hired the law firm Sojuzpatent to file at least eight trademarks in Russia between 1996 and 2008, including "Trump," "Trump Home" and "Trump Tower." Link
Trump has tried very hard to "do deals" in Russia but to little success:
Quote:
An attempt to build a Trump Tower in Moscow fell through before it began. CNN didn't find any projects that were actually completed in Russia. In a 2007 deposition, Trump was asked about the proposal for the project.
"It was a Trump International Hotel and Tower. It would be a nonexclusive deal, so it would not have precluded me from doing other deals in Moscow, which was very important to me."
Finally, in the 2008 interview Donald Trump, Jr. said there was a lot of money pouring in from Russia "and" Russians were buying condos. If anyone wants context here's a link to the interview itself, in eturbonews: Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:10 PM   #291
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

So many usurpers
Old 6th March 2017, 12:16 PM   #292
phiwum
Philosopher

We could discuss the fact that yet more money will be wasted on pointless investigation of insanity emanating from the White House...sorry, a Florida resort.

Maybe it's a Republican thing.
We could discuss that, but I think most of us agree that this is obviously insane. Only the most diehard supporters can even pretend that this allegation is worth pursuing.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:28 PM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

We could discuss that, but I think most of us agree that this is obviously insane. Only the most diehard supporters can even pretend that this allegation is worth pursuing.
.....well them and no doubt the whole of the GOP in Congress
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:30 PM   #294
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think you're being way too charitable here. Given the current political climate, no insanity should be considered unlikely.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:37 PM   #295
Stacko
Philosopher

That makes it all the more concerning that the GOP appears eager to appease his conspiracies. Chaffaetz has already announced they're going to look into it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:37 PM   #296
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There seems to be a growing clamor -- bipartisan, at least two House Republicans are on board -- that Trump release his tax returns. Nothing in them that will shed light on his business dealings in Russia? Don't be too sure. This was written five months ago by former White House ethics lawyers Norman Eisen and Richard W. Painter:

They also point out that Trump is on record as having stated:

But one of his son's said in 2008:

There's an obvious conflict there and it's too important to be ignored.
12,000 page tax return. My mind is boggled.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:39 PM   #297
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Just kidding.
An UKian misses irony? I thought it was only Americans who did that.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:40 PM   #298
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Any chance you could supply the rest of us with the financial data you have?
This article gives a rundown of his most valuable investments in real estate.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:40 PM   #299
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Okay, here's another question: Does executive immunity extend to civil lawsuits (for, say, slander) emanating from an [occasional] Oval Office occupant's Twitter account?
Old 6th March 2017, 12:40 PM   #300
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That makes it all the more concerning that the GOP appears eager to appease his conspiracies. Chaffaetz has already announced they're going to look into it.
Right. It's a waste of time and money. I agree.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:44 PM   #301
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Seconded!

One should not call Trump things like "fuhrer" because Trump has not earned that title (at least not yet he has not).

Instead, one should call Trump by the titles that he has earned such as:

Pussy Grabber,
Crook,
Liar,
Spoiled Brat,
Fraud,

and so on.
It's not like Trump called anyone crooked, lying, little or any other derogatory terms repeatedly.
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
At a certain point, if Trump said 2 + 2 = 5, some people would start pontificating about the variable value of "2."
Old 6th March 2017, 12:44 PM   #302
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Only the most diehard opponents can even pretend that this allegation is not worth pursuing. There is a lot of smoke there.

Take a look at this.

Quote:
In its final days, the Obama administration has expanded the power of the National Security Agency to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s 16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections.

Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch signed the new rules, permitting the N.S.A. to disseminate “raw signals intelligence information,” on Jan. 3, after the director of national intelligence, James R. Clapper Jr., signed them on Dec. 15, according to a 23-page, largely declassified copy of the procedures.

But Patrick Toomey, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union, called the move an erosion of rules intended to protect the privacy of Americans when their messages are caught by the N.S.A.’s powerful global collection methods. He noted that domestic internet data was often routed or stored abroad, where it may get vacuumed up without court oversight.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:46 PM   #303
Stacko
Philosopher

Okay, here's another question: Does executive immunity extend to civil lawsuits (for, say, slander) emanating from an [occasional] Oval Office occupant's Twitter account?
That depends on if it's considered an official presidential act or personal conduct. Something White House counsel probably hasn't considered yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #304
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Only the most diehard opponents can even pretend that this allegation is not worth pursuing. There is a lot of smoke there.

Take a look at this.
How does that story from back in January mean Trump's Breitbart-fueled paranoid nonsense from this past weekend is actually justified?

Particularly since it discusses actions taken long after the alleged "wiretaps" supposedly happened.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #305
Argumemnon
World Maker

Take a look at this.
To what "smoke" are you refering?
Old 6th March 2017, 12:50 PM   #306
Stacko
Philosopher

Right. It's a waste of time and money. I agree.
It's not just that unfortunately. By acting as though the accusation has merit they give it false credibility. It reinforces the fantasy world that alt-right is creating for Trumpists.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:51 PM   #307
Argumemnon
World Maker

It's not just that unfortunately. By acting as though the accusation has merit they give it false credibility. It reinforces the fantasy world that alt-right is creating for Trumpists.
...and distracts from real issues.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:52 PM   #308
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Take a look at this.
So wait...maybe I've missed some of your posts, but you appear to believe the Russia/Trump administration issue is a red herring and not worth pursuing but think that only a die hard opponent wouldn't pursue the wire tapping accusation?

It almost looks like you've fallen for Trump's redirection.

Last edited by twinstead; 6th March 2017 at 01:07 PM.
twinstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 12:56 PM   #309
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
So many usurpers
No, you're the surper.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:12 PM   #310
Babbylonian
Philosopher

That depends on if it's considered an official presidential act or personal conduct. Something White House counsel probably hasn't considered yet.
They'll have to consider it. While President Obama is unlikely to sue because it would appear to be politically motivated, based on his actions so far the current head of the executive branch is almost certainly going to slander someone who will be willing to fight.
Old 6th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #311
Minoosh
Philosopher

Okay, here's another question: Does executive immunity extend to civil lawsuits (for, say, slander) emanating from an Oval Office occupant's Twitter account?
Since Trump feels the presidency gives him dictatorial authority, he might think that Obama also had dictatorial authority over anyone employed in the executive branch.

Since Trump is self-centered, he might think that any wiretapping of someone in his organization is infallibly aimed at him.

Since Trump is incapable of nuance, he might be genuinely ignorant that legal wiretapping exists, so he threw in the word "illegal" to spice up his tweet (possibly at Bannon's behest).

So: If anyone within the executive branch sought a wiretapping warrant against anyone in Trump's circle it translates as "Obama illegally tapped my phones" (paraphrase), and that's probably good enough for his supporters.

Me: But if they had a warrant it wasn't illegal.
Trump supporter: Say what?
Me: Even if someone in the FBI sought a warrant, it doesn't mean Obama ordered it or had knowledge of it.
Trump supporter: Yeah, right.
Me: Even if they were granted a warrant, that doesn't mean they carried out the wiretapping.
Trump supporter: Sure, if you say so.
Me: Even if the request was aimed at someone within Trump's circle, that doesn't mean Trump himself was the target.
Trump supporter: Oh, come on. Everyone knows Obama was personally gunning for Trump.

Trump's tweet could contain 4 outright lies and his supporters probably wouldn't mind because Obama. "Obama illegally tapped my phones." No, Obama didn't order it. No, they weren't illegal. No, it's unclear if taps were carried out. No, Trump himself wasn't the target. He tweets something inaccurate; his base loves it; the media goes into manic mode, throwing up multiple headlines without actually addressing what did happen.

I might have missed it; if there has been a good piece "unpacking" that tweet I'd like to know.

The good news is that White House rivalries might give the media some valid, though anonymous, information. But does anyone recall that one week ago, the White House was handing reporters inaccurate information just to manipulate them? Are the media getting played again? What if they had reported this without the hyperventilation? "Trump says Obama did X. Trump offered no evidence this occurred. An Obama spokesman denied that it occurred." Overreaction to Trump's tweets is just feeding the troll. The media tripping over their dicks thinking this time it's a "gotcha" for sure!

Last edited by Minoosh; 6th March 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:20 PM   #312
Minoosh
Philosopher

The corollary:

Since Trump is an ******* and a lying sack of **** and so are many of his most loyal followers, just assume you are being manipulated from the get-go.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:21 PM   #313
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
How does that story from back in January mean Trump's Breitbart-fueled paranoid nonsense from this past weekend is actually justified?

Particularly since it discusses actions taken long after the alleged "wiretaps" supposedly happened.
Trump's allegation appears to be an intuitive bet that something fishy has been happening. I think he should have talked more softly and wielded a larger stick, but he made is decision. I don't think it was without some considerable weighing of the pros and cons.

I do believe that there has been an effort by the "deep state" to undermine Trump's Presidency. I also believe that this effort has been led by Obama loyalists and appointees who are still in government, or who are leaking from outside the government. Furthermore, the timing of Obama's executive order allowing the NSA to share raw data with other agencies is extremely suspicious. It's a hell of a coincidence, don't you think? And this comes on the heels of a New York Times article last week about Obama people leaving "breadcrumbs" about Trump's connections to Russia (e.g. lowering classification levels so that intelligence could be dispersed more widely and performing a kabuki dance in classified briefings, so that certain items would be archived).

My general impression is that Trump's ties to Russia are nothingburgers. He has the level and number of ties one would expect for a billionaire, particularly one who lives in New York City, which has a huge Russian population and is one of the global playgrounds for Russian oligarchs.

Whether or not Russia tried to help Trump win (and my feeling is that Russia was more concerned with hurting Hillary than actually helping Trump), I don't think Russia needed Trump's help, nor even cared very much about him. They probably saw him as a clown who didn't even know how to run a successful campaign let alone know how best to hack the DNC and spread damaging information.

The fact that the media has been ridiculously consumed with Trump's Russia ties since even before the election is almost entirely due to the fact that the mainstream media and anti-Trumpers (but I repeat myself) are hoping beyond hope that this is the loose thread which will unravel his administration. The leaking from inside the deep state is part of the same effort.

Trump's allegations, thinly-sourced as they are, at least provide some pushback. Just as his seemingly random comment about Sweden prompted a closer look at Sweden, his over-the-top allegations against Obama will also prompt a closer look. This is Trump calling the deep-staters' bluff. We'll see how it plays out. I for one am enjoying the spectacle. Meanwhile, Trump's dismantling of the administrative state proceeds apace ... All is well.
Old 6th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #314
The_Animus
Master Poster

The resident, "Sandy Hook was a false flag and pizza gate is real" crazy conspiracy believing Trump supporter on Facebook writes this off as corrupt liberal judges signing the FISA warrant.

I don't even bother discussing with him anymore because his response is always involve "fake news", "libtards", or "conspiracy/liberal plant/corrupt".

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #315
Crossbow

Take a look at this.
And with your keen eye for detail, did you happen to notice that the article you cite concerns the sharing of data that has already has been collected as opposed to the collection of new data?

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:25 PM   #316
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
And with your keen eye for detail, did you happen to notice that the article you cite concerns the sharing of data that has already has been collected as opposed to the collection of new data?
Huh? Why does that matter?
Old 6th March 2017, 01:30 PM   #317
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Trump's allegation appears to be an intuitive bet that something fishy has been happening.
In other words, he made up a bunch of ******** without evidence. And the Heil Trumpers are dutifully trying to scrape up anything they can to try and show that Trump is right, even if what they find not only doesn't support Trump's claims, it had nothing even remotely to do with Trump's claims.

What you're doing is somewhere around the same level as those Palin fans who tried to edit Paul Revere's Wikipedia entry so that it would look like Palin wasn't talking out of her ass.

Quote:
I do believe that there has been an effort by the "deep state" to undermine Trump's Presidency. I also believe that this effort has been led by Obama loyalists and appointees who are still in government, or who are leaking from outside the government.
Now, is this part of the plan of the shape-shifting alien lizards to enslave us all, or in addition to it?

Quote:
Trump's allegations, thinly-sourced as they are,
"The Emperor's new clothes, as thin as they are..."

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:32 PM   #318
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Depends on how is businesses are set up...and if he was smart enough to do it right
In a letter from March 2016 his tax lawyers said:
Quote:
As disclosed in your Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 278e), filed on July 15, 2015, you hold interests as the sole or principal owner in approximately 500 separate entities. These entities are collectively referred to and do business as The Trump Organization. These entities engage in hundreds of transactions, deals, and new enterprises every year. Because you operate these businesses almost exclusively through sole proprietorships and/or closely held partnerships, your personal federal income tax returns are inordinately large and complex for an individual.
To me that indicates Trumps tax returns would say far more about his businesses than is normal.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 01:41 PM   #319
Crossbow

Huh? Why does that matter?
If you read your own citation then you would already know.

You were the one who was insinuating that your citation shows that Obama may well have used the rule change to establish that Obama was indeed tapping Trump's telephone.

However, your own citation clearly shows that this is not the fact.

Old 6th March 2017, 01:48 PM   #320
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is having Anger Management issues:

http://time.com/4691555/donald-trump...health-russia/

So to vent about his agenda being derailed,he brings out a crazy tweet that derails it even more?

The guy is hopeless;he just cannot get that governing is different then campaigning.
This is not going to end well.
That is the irony, if these over the top tweets are a deliberate strategy to create a diversion from the Russia issues, they do so by making Trump look deranged. Not a net gain.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics