ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:10 AM   #41
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The article is a lay blurb that indicates almost nothing. It links to another lay article that I can't read because the website requires me to disable my adblocker first (which I will not do).
Get the Greasemonkey add-on (if you're using Firefox, if not then whatever the equivalent is on the browser you use) and install the "Anti-Adblock Killer" script.

That should bypass the scripts on the site which prevent you from viewing the page if you have your Adblocker on.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:21 AM   #42
Hans
Philosopher

What?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:45 AM   #43
fagin
Illuminator

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – that's all.”

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:19 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Get the Greasemonkey add-on (if you're using Firefox, if not then whatever the equivalent is on the browser you use) and install the "Anti-Adblock Killer" script.

That should bypass the scripts on the site which prevent you from viewing the page if you have your Adblocker on.
Anti ad blockers are like facial tattoos, or tramp stamps, or protective markings on poisonous insects. Why would I want to ignore them?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 12:24 PM   #45
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
You highlighted 10^14 and 10^18 before adding the pertinent comment.

Why did you highlight those figures?

What did you mean by "one thousandth of the number"? (a comment you made under the figures)

So, what errors do you find in the figures you highlighted and criticized in reply #8?
Ten thousandth, I said.

You do realise that 10^14 is one ten thousandth of 10^18, surely? I'm not having to explain maths that a 10 year old should know, am I?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 12:32 PM   #46
baron
Illuminator

Anti ad blockers are like facial tattoos, or tramp stamps, or protective markings on poisonous insects. Why would I want to ignore them?
Isn't ignoring anti- ad blockers a triple negative?
Old 12th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #47
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Because perhaps you're interested in the contents of whatever site uses them.

It's entirely up to you, but now at least you know that you don't have to be restricted if you don't want to be.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:04 PM   #48
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Oh come on, it's very easy to understand. It wasn't about an error in your figures.

You claim that by 2020 humans can build a human-level AI, which you say runs at 10^16 to 10^18 synaptic operations per second.
As evidence you point out that models that run at 10^14 already exist.

10^14 is one ten-thousandth of 10^18, the top of your human range.

MikeG wasn't questioning your numbers, he was expressing his doubts in your assertion that our AI's will become ten thousand times as complex within the space of three years.

(1)
That didn't appear to be the case.

He made no reference to the 2020 sequence/sentence, merely highlighting the numbers in his criticism of said numbers.

....for he responded that I was misusing the word "pertinent", in my question to his numbers criticism.

(2)
So, where:
(a) he had edited in the "pertinent" comment, after his numbers criticism, (in the same reply)
and
(b) the misuse of the word pertinent doesn't appear to relate to his numbers criticism, although he responded as such...

I still don't grasp what he was attempting express, and so I continue to ask.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 12th March 2017 at 07:42 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 07:07 PM   #49
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Ten thousandth, I said.

You do realise that 10^14 is one ten thousandth of 10^18, surely? I'm not having to explain maths that a 10 year old should know, am I?
(1)
The one ten thousandth|one thousandth distinction appears to be irrelevant, in the above scenario.

....for you responded that I was misusing the word "pertinent", in my question to your numbers criticism.

(2)
So, where:
(a) you had edited in the "pertinent" comment, after your numbers criticism, (in the same reply)
and
(b) the misuse of the word pertinent doesn't appear to relate to your numbers criticism, although you responded as such...

I still don't grasp what you were attempting express, and so I continue to ask.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 12th March 2017 at 07:41 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 07:46 PM   #50
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
A genuine question: Was this written by AI code? The reason I ask is that several years ago I created a module that generated prose very similar to what we see here. Of course, it was all nonsense, but it was grammatically correct and thus appeared impressive to the casual viewer.
You wrote the Post-modernism generator?

That's way cool.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:56 PM   #51
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I wrote the paper.

Some related code, however crude exists in relation to paper.

The topics discussed are probably primarily common for undergrad machine learning students.
But are clearly not for students learning whose primary language is a known Earth tongue.

Much that is betwixed is likewise amidst boundriless hombrage.

Last edited by John Jones; 12th March 2017 at 08:00 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:45 PM   #52
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Amazingly, that's what I told my wife when she asked if I had sex with our college-age babysitter. It ... did not go well.
The sex or the explanation?

Enquiring minds etc.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:49 PM   #53
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It appears English is not that being's native language.
Whether me or fagin, I believe our words are both in English and with understandable spelling, word choice and grammar!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:54 PM   #54
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
ps could you translate the OP into actual meaningful words and stuff.
Unlikely as it would require putting the cites he made into readable and concise statements as opposed to us wasting time looking through them. I.e. we would be being asked to do his job as he is asking us to accept his ideas. Not our job. His plan/idea/whatever and not anything useful in it for our purposes as it stands and to the extent it's importance is thoroughly presented!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:59 PM   #55
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I am unable to parse your comment.
It is not a comment, it refers to the readability of the words/ phrases/sentences you have typed out regardless of source by, as well as possible, replicating them in style, meaning and lack of usefulness.

Wash this space!

Old 13th March 2017, 12:19 AM   #56
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

(1)
The one ten thousandth|one thousandth distinction appears to be irrelevant, in the above scenario.

....for you responded that I was misusing the word "pertinent", in my question to your numbers criticism.

(2)
So, where:
(a) you had edited in the "pertinent" comment, after your numbers criticism, (in the same reply)
and
(b) the misuse of the word pertinent doesn't appear to relate to your numbers criticism, although you responded as such...

I still don't grasp what you were attempting express, and so I continue to ask.
You are confused. You are conflating two different issues.

First of all, I pointed out that your claim for how wonderful AI was showed that humans haven't created anything with one ten thousandth the computing power of a human brain...............using your own figures. That was issue one.

Issue two was I pointed out that yet again you had made up a meaning for a word (pertinent). This was nothing whatever to do with issue 1.

You then wrote an incomprehensible question, and I answered about issue 1, when you were possibly asking about issue 2. This is the sort of problem you will generate if you mangle the language, changing the meaning of words at a whim.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 01:38 AM   #57
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

You are confused. You are conflating two different issues.

First of all, I pointed out that your claim for how wonderful AI was showed that humans haven't created anything with one ten thousandth the computing power of a human brain...............using your own figures. That was issue one.

Issue two was I pointed out that yet again you had made up a meaning for a word (pertinent). This was nothing whatever to do with issue 1.

You then wrote an incomprehensible question, and I answered about issue 1, when you were possibly asking about issue 2. This is the sort of problem you will generate if you mangle the language, changing the meaning of words at a whim.
(A)
That does not appear to be the case.

(1) I asked you (in reply #11) why you criticized the numbers.

(2) You responded (in reply #12) regarding my misuse of the word "pertinent".

How did your response in reply #12, sensibly answer my query in reply #11?

(B)
There was no claim of mine, about "technology being wonderful".

My statement was that models have already achieved 10^14 artificial synaptic operations per second:
SOURCE: http://www.modha.org/blog/SC12/RJ105...000=1489394675

That 10^14 figure was not a claim.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 01:49 AM   #58
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

(A)
That does not appear to be the case.

(1) I asked you (in reply #11) why you criticized the numbers.

(2) You responded (in reply #12) regarding my misuse of the word "pertinent".

How does your response in reply #12, sensibly answer my query in reply #11?
Do you understand now that I have already answered the above?

-

Quote:
There was no claim of mine, about "technology being wonderful"........
Did I say there was? I was being sarcastic.

Quote:
My statement was that models have already achieved 10^14 synaptic operations per second. .......
I simply pointed out how puny this achievement was in comparison with the human brain.

-

You clearly have nothing of substance to say, and to hide your lack of content you will bang on about your supposed confusions with my post until I have explained it 10 different ways. We've all seen this sort of thing done countless times before.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th March 2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 01:49 AM   #59
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Simple, your assumption was wrong. Your query is therefore not applicable.

This appears to be your MO: always assume that anything you believe is correct, deny it is a belief, and demand that others subject themselves to your narrow views.
If you are unable to even entertain the idea that you interpreted something incorrectly, this thread is going to go like your other ones, round and round in circles, with you referring back to your hypothesis as if it were proof.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 01:52 AM   #60
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Do you understand now that I have already answered the above?

-

I simply pointed out how puny this achievement was in comparison with the human brain.

-

You clearly have nothing of substance to say, and to hide your lack of content you will bang on about your supposed confusions with my post until I have explained it 10 different ways. We've all seen this sort of thing done countless times before.
The right answer is that your response in reply 12, was nonsensical, and irrelevant to my query in response 11.

As for your "puny" argument, here is a hint, why such an argument is probably a poor, uneducated one:

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 01:56 AM   #61
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Simple, your assumption was wrong. Your query is therefore not applicable.

This appears to be your MO: always assume that anything you believe is correct, deny it is a belief, and demand that others subject themselves to your narrow views.
If you are unable to even entertain the idea that you interpreted something incorrectly, this thread is going to go like your other ones, round and round in circles, with you referring back to your hypothesis as if it were proof.
It had long been demonstrated that instead, that your comrade MikeG had blundered, by giving a nonsensical response (via reply 12) to my query in reply 11.

Ironically you blundered too, by entirely misinterpreting the scenario.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 01:57 AM   #62
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

The right answer is that your response in reply 12, was nonsensical, and irrelevant to my query in response 11...........
Ah I see. You don't understand written English. I have repeatedly agreed that this (above) is the case, so you really don't need to go on repeating it. I have also shown you why the mistake was made: your gibberish use of the language makes trying to understand what you are asking much more difficult than it should be. If you choose to use different meanings for words from the rest of us, mistakes in communication are bound to occur.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th March 2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 01:57 AM   #63
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It had long been demonstrated that instead, that your comrade MikeG had blundered, by giving a nonsensical response (via reply 12) to my query in reply 11.

https://xkcd.com/169/

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 02:00 AM   #64
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Ah I see. You don't understand written English. I have repeatedly agreed that this (above) is the case, so you really don't need to go on repeating it. I have also shown you why the mistake was made: your gibberish use of the language makes trying to understand what you are asking much more difficult than it should be. If you choose to use different meanings for words from the rest of us, mistakes in communication are bound to occur.
The more you proceed, the more foolish your words become.

Tell me, what gibberish did you supposedly detect in the response from the reply you admittedly failed to sensibly answer?

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan
Could you tell us what the error is, with the figures you highlighted?

What part of the above query did you fail to grasp?

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:02 AM   #65
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The more you proceed, the more foolish your words become.

Tell me, what gibberish did you supposedly detect in the response from the reply you admittedly failed to sensibly answer?

What part of the above sentence did you fail to grasp?

https://xkcd.com/169/

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 02:02 AM   #66
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

OK, no problem.

There was no error in the figures I higlighted despite the claim in your question. My fact (10^14 is one ten thousandth of 10^18) wasn't pointing out an error, so why were you asking about errors?

However, there was an error in your original post, in its misuse of the word pertinent, and it was this error I pointed out. So when you ask about errors I had found in your post, I responded as though you were asking about the errors I had pointed out in your post. Silly me.

Before you respond to this, how about taking a long hard look at the cartoon Mojo has posted.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th March 2017 at 02:10 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:04 AM   #67
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Here is an xkcd item I encountered a few weeks prior...:

https://xkcd.com/505/
Old 13th March 2017, 02:13 AM   #68
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

non sequitur.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 02:48 AM   #69
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

OK, no problem.

There was no error in the figures I higlighted despite the claim in your question. My fact (10^14 is one ten thousandth of 10^18) wasn't pointing out an error, so why were you asking about errors?

However, there was an error in your original post, in its misuse of the word pertinent, and it was this error I pointed out. So when you ask about errors I had found in your post, I responded as though you were asking about the errors I had pointed out in your post. Silly me.

Before you respond to this, how about taking a long hard look at the cartoon Mojo has posted.
Unless the query "Could you tell us what the error is, with the figures you highlighted?" contains malformed English, Mojo's post does not apply.

And so, your words show lack of understanding of simple language.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:54 AM   #70
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Dunning-Kruger.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 02:59 AM   #71
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Dunning-Kruger.
Inferiority complex.
Old 13th March 2017, 03:02 AM   #72
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Unless the query "Could you tell us what the error is, with the figures you highlighted?" contains malformed English, Mojo's post does not apply.

And so, your words show lack of understanding of simple language.
You may think that but I expect that most people reading and/or posting on the thread would disagree with you.

MikeG pointed out 2 things in his initial post in this thread:

So, one ten thousandth the number. Tear up everything we know and re-write the dictionary.
and....

Oh, I see we already have. Makie-uppey use of "pertinent".
For some reason you became fixated on the notion that MikeG was in some way querying the accuracy of the figures you had posted (which AFAIK he was not) rather than the conclusion that you had drawn from them. I think that was pretty clear to almost everyone who has read this thread.

He was also criticising you for your incorrect use of pertinent, something that was clarified in this exchange....

Could you tell us what the error is, with the figures you highlighted?
I already did. You are mis-using "pertinent".
If there is any criticism due, I guess MikeG should have clarified that there was no error in the figures, the error was in the use of pertinent. He initially did the latter but not the former but subsequently did both.

You, OTOH, still seem fixated on the numbers. In the immortal words of Princess Elsa of Arendelle - "Let it go"

The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 03:06 AM   #73
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You may think that but I expect that most people reading and/or posting on the thread would disagree with you.

MikeG pointed out 2 things in his initial post in this thread:

and....

For some reason you became fixated on the notion that MikeG was in some way querying the accuracy of the figures you had posted (which AFAIK he was not) rather than the conclusion that you had drawn from them. I think that was pretty clear to almost everyone who has read this thread.

He was also criticising you for your incorrect use of pertinent, something that was clarified in this exchange....

If there is any criticism due, I guess MikeG should have clarified that there was no error in the figures, the error was in the use of pertinent. He initially did the latter but not the former but subsequently did both.

You, OTOH, still seem fixated on the numbers. In the immortal words of Princess Elsa of Arendelle - "Let it go"

You may have missed it, as his comrade did, but he had responded nonsensically to the query in reply 11.

That query asked about his criticism of the numbers, and his response (in reply 12) appeared to be nonsensical/garbage.

He later admitted that his response was garbage. (where he blamed his blunder on my supposed miscommunication)

The blame was clearly misplaced, because my query (in reply 11) had been clear.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 03:10 AM   #74
hecd2
Muse

PGJ, what are you hoping for with these threads? Fame? Recognition? Fortune? Friendship? Admiration? Respect?

I fear that whatever you're hoping for, it won't end well.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 03:12 AM   #75
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by hecd2 View Post
PGJ, what are you hoping for with these threads? Fame? Recognition? Fortune? Friendship? Admiration? Respect?

I fear that whatever you're hoping for, it won't end well.
I aim to minimize ignorance...
Old 13th March 2017, 03:22 AM   #76
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

This is disingenuous and arrogant tosh. You bring nothing here to illuminate anything. There is no sense in which you are educating anyone. You have no original thought, nor interesting line of discussion for us. There is no meat, and bugger all gravy either. All you have is word-play, and vacuous argument. What exactly do you think this litany of utter failure can do in the fight against ignorance, especially when it is so poorly communicated that it takes pages of to-ing and fro-ing to work out what you mean?
Old 13th March 2017, 03:29 AM   #77
hecd2
Muse

Originally Posted by PGJ
This is disingenuous and arrogant tosh.
Perhaps he means his own?
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 04:02 AM   #78
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You may have missed it, as his comrade did, but he had responded nonsensically to the query in reply 11.

That query asked about his criticism of the numbers, and his response (in reply 12) appeared to be nonsensical/garbage.
You may think it was nonsensical garbage - it was abundantly clear to me and many other posters in this thread.

He later admitted that his response was garbage. (where he blamed his blunder on my supposed miscommunication)

The blame was clearly misplaced, because my query (in reply 11) had been clear.
You may think it was clear, it wasn't.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 04:24 AM   #79
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps, then, you should expand and elaborate on the OP, rather than fixating on the unimportant semantics of a brief exchange with one particular poster.
Old 13th March 2017, 04:38 AM   #80
ProgrammingGodJordan
Suspended

Originally Posted by hecd2 View Post
Originally Posted by MikeG
Originally Posted by PGJ
I aim to purge ignorance.
This is disingenuous and arrogant tosh.
Perhaps he means his own?
I thank you.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th March 2017 at 04:39 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology