ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th March 2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Teacher quits after primary school students threaten to behead her

This is a story that has been simmering on and off in the Australian media for some time. If it is as reported, then it is pretty disturbing.

Quote:
Frightened teachers at a Sydney primary school have revealed students are showing signs of extreme radicalisation at a young age, saying they have been traumatised by threats of beheading and other violent behaviour.

Students as young as in Year 5 are making the threats and pressuring peers into reading the Koran at Punchbowl Public School in Sydney's southwest, the Daily Telegraph has reported.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3466...-family/#page1

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I believe these kids have the right to be just as Islamic and backward as they want to be. As long as they do it in an Islamic country.

The fact that a single Muslim has been permitted into the west since 9/11 (or prior to it, for that matter) is suicidally, inexplicably stupid.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:16 PM   #3
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
This is a story that has been simmering on and off in the Australian media for some time. If it is as reported, then it is pretty disturbing.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3466...-family/#page1
I believe it came from the right wing UK media. Hyperbole springs to mind.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 03:59 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah I'd like to see some further reports before having an opinion.
Old 16th March 2017, 04:41 AM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

We used to sing this in school in the seventies:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school
We have tortured all the teachers - we have broken all the rules
We ramrocked the offices and hung the principal
March on, third grade, march on!
Glory, glory, hallelujah
My teacher hit me with a ruler
I hid behind her door with a loaded .44
And the teacher don't teach no more!
Old 16th March 2017, 05:11 AM   #6
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I believe these kids have the right to be just as Islamic and backward as they want to be. As long as they do it in an Islamic country.
I agree: people can be as stupid as they want in a country that's not my own. That includes white Christians.

Quote:
The fact that a single Muslim has been permitted into the west since 9/11 (or prior to it, for that matter) is suicidally, inexplicably stupid.
All Muslims are potential terrorists, of course. Not like whites Christians, who are never terrorists.
Old 16th March 2017, 05:23 AM   #7
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post

Wow, the ignorance in this post is amazing to behold.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 05:14 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
I think it would shock Skeptic Tank to learn that there are sizable groups of people of solid "White" European stock who are Muslims and have been so for generatations. There even a war about that back in the early 90's.
I think his attitude toward Muslims is not based on theological grounds or Islam's shortcomings as a religion but that most Muslims have brown skins......

Last edited by dudalb; 16th March 2017 at 05:16 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 05:15 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, but I expected no better given the poster's history here.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 05:18 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Glory, glory, hallelujah
So did I......ah, that brings back memories.
Old 16th March 2017, 05:25 PM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me it's up to the teacher to educate them that in the West, Sharia does not count.

Actually, isn't it Sharia that is racist, sexist, and theocratic?

Now, how to educate them that in America, our laws are the rule of the land.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 06:27 PM   #12
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

This story doesn't have enough fact to make me break out the lynching rope and I'm too far away to do anything anyhow.

ST:

Having worked in a few ME countries, I can tell you that there are some followers of Muhammad that are stand up guys and have their stuff together. They aren't looking to slit throats.

There are self described Catholics in my own family that are low life scumbags and would likely take a head if they could make a few bucks for booze and drugs.

Nobody has a monopoly on virtue.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 06:38 PM   #13
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Glory, glory, hallelujah
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So did I......ah, that brings back memories.
Yeah, but we're white and normal. Just kids being kids. These are Mooslims!!!???? They're coming to eat our brains!!!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 06:56 PM   #14
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think it is unwarranted kindness on your part to attribute that to ignorance.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 07:09 PM   #15
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Glory, glory, hallelujah
Piker!!! We were doing that one in the 50's. And better (i.e. worse!!!!!!)

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 07:12 PM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think it is unwarranted kindness on your part to attribute that to ignorance.
Well and truly noted!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 07:31 PM   #17
ddt
Mafia Penguin

In the Netherlands, people like Wilders love to repeat the claim that many teachers dare not teach the Holocaust due to pressure from Muslim students. That claim is only founded on one survey among 300-something teachers, of which only one teacher said he refrained from teaching the Holocaust. Oh, and the students who pressured him were not Muslims, but Neo-Nazis.

So, colour me skeptical about this story as well.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 07:57 PM   #18
Bogative
Muse

This all could've easily been avoided if she would've learned her place and shut her mouth, put on a hijab and allowed these disadvantaged youth to hang their flag and pray to the one true God. Some people just need to be taught respect.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 09:49 PM   #19
fromdownunder
Philosopher

It's just an Australian thing. We used to have a popular TV presenter who regularly threatened to "rip peoples bloody arms off".

The show he hosted won a major Award.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 11:45 PM   #20
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
It's just an Australian thing. We used to have a popular TV presenter who regularly threatened to "rip peoples bloody arms off".

The show he hosted won a major Award.

Norm
Huh? That was Auntie Jack...........a comedy series of the early 70s rather than a TV presenter. Unless some TV presenter has since copied the expression, perhaps.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 11:59 PM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

It's a different world, Australia. We've posited this before, but it's from being upside down and the blood rushing to their heads.

I refer, of course, to the commercial that precedes the news article. Would anyone in Europe run that ad?
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:21 AM   #22
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Yes, the Sydney Daily Telegraph. A Murdoch rag that dedicates itself to ****-stirring from the far right wing, and is less reliable for journalistic values than, say, the UK Daily Mail and the gone and unlamented News Of The World. If used in a cage, most parrots would refuse to waste their poop on it.

So let's assume that the initial report falls into the same category as headlines like "B-29 Bomber Found On Moon".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 17th March 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:50 AM   #23
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah I'd like to see some further reports before having an opinion.
Your wish is my command
No cases of 'religiously motivated violence' at Punchbowl Public: NSW Education

Quote:
Barrister and Muslim community advocate Bilal Rauf believes "there are some underlying aspects to (Mrs A’s) claims which appear, on the surface, questionable".

"I think there is an element of Punchbowl being unduly targeted,” Mr Rauf told SBS.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:59 AM   #24
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Seems to me it's up to the teacher to educate them that in the West, Sharia does not count.

Why would the teacher want to do that when the article claimed that it happened in Australia?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 05:06 AM   #25
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Do you have a suburb called Punchbowl in the city of Sydney in the state of New South Wales in the USA?

What a coincidence - so do we!

ETA: Ninja'd!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 07:02 AM   #26
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yes, the Sydney Daily Telegraph. A Murdoch rag that dedicates itself to ****-stirring from the far right wing, and is less reliable for journalistic values than, say, the UK Daily Mail and the gone and unlamented News Of The World. If used in a cage, most parrots would refuse to waste their poop on it.

So let's assume that the initial report falls into the same category as headlines like "B-29 Bomber Found On Moon".
They've been apparently trying to stir up outrage against this one school for years.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Quote:
Mrs A was also upset that only halal food was served at some school events.

"Ultimately at the end of the day we're a Christian country, we can put that chair aside and say this is a secular nation,” she said.

“We should not be having one culture or one race dominating the other. I mean it's a secular school, a secular nation, so there shouldn't be any halal in any school whatsoever."
Hmmm, I'm starting to suspect her "complaints" were motivated by something else entirely.

I wonder if she felt that way about Punchbowl Public School celebrating Christmas (their Facebook page even features some rather cute pictures of younger students getting an in-classroom visit from Santa Claus).

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:56 PM   #27
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

I'm wondering if she thinks that eating Halal foods will magically turn you Muslim.
Other than some things like a prohibition on alcohol, there are a lot of similarities between Halal and Kosher, and a lot of ordinary foods could already be either. It's just a matter of getting certification and slapping on a logo. The company I work for makes cleaning products that are used to clean equipment in food processing plants, and a number of our products are certified for use in Kosher and Halal facilities.
"We don't use any animal products, and our ingredients are either synthetic or plant based."
"Okay. You're good to go. Here's your certificate."

(There's an issue of Ashkenazi Jews and corn-derived chemicals like fatty acid esters during Passover, but that's a special case.)
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:27 PM   #28
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

And her complaint is apparently not even that they served only halal food all the time or anything like that, just that they served it sometimes, at certain special events.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 08:46 PM   #29
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm wondering if she thinks that eating Halal foods will magically turn you Muslim.
If it is of any help, I can faithfully report that for all of the Pastrami sandwiches I ate as a kid, I did not turn Jewish. (but I sure had some good sandwiches. Dad loved pastrami, and passed that love on to me).
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:09 AM   #30
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
This all could've easily been avoided if she would've learned her place and shut her mouth, put on a hijab and allowed these disadvantaged youth to hang their flag and pray to the one true God. Some people just need to be taught respect.
How many schools where you live require that teachers do that at the demand of five year old Quran fanatics? I think it would be more sensible to call the parents of such children in for a chat, if indeed they are numerous enough to be a problem.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:25 AM   #31
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I don't know about her but I would not eat halal meat for two reasons. Firstly, because there's no guarantee the animals were killed humanely. Sometimes stunning is used, other times the animal has its throat slashed and takes minutes to die whilst hung upside down. In the same way I won't buy meat from any source unless I'm certain of its origins, I would definitely not entertain halal. Ironically, in common with Muslims I don't eat pork, on account of I think the vast majority of pig farming is cruel.

Secondly, I make the choice that I don't want religion to play a part in my life. The Muslim thinks it's important for a prayer to be said when the animal is killed and that's fine, I respect their right to hold that opinion; I think it's important for no prayer to be said, and people must respect my opinion in the same way.
Old 18th March 2017, 05:28 AM   #32
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
If it is of any help, I can faithfully report that for all of the Pastrami sandwiches I ate as a kid, I did not turn Jewish. (but I sure had some good sandwiches. Dad loved pastrami, and passed that love on to me).
There are times I'd get on a plane and fly to NYC just for a hot pastrami with mustard on rye, with a dill pickle. About as close to divine as sandwiches get. Does bring to mind the strenuous efforts of an ex-drinker to make a perfect non-alcoholic Bloody Mary, though, since pastrami is as close to pork as you can get with another meat. I think somebody did some cheating way back when and decided he/she needed to relive the crime in his/her dreams.... Pastrami. Yeah, man, divine... and sinful good.

ETA: To remain topical: this was one news report I felt could be safely ignored. Toddlers. Beheading. Sure. About as believable and dangerous as marauding baby ducks.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 18th March 2017 at 05:31 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:37 AM   #33
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I don't know about her but I would not eat halal meat for two reasons. Firstly, because there's no guarantee the animals were killed humanely. Sometimes stunning is used, other times the animal has its throat slashed and takes minutes to die whilst hung upside down. In the same way I won't buy meat from any source unless I'm certain of its origins, I would definitely not entertain halal. Ironically, in common with Muslims I don't eat pork, on account of I think the vast majority of pig farming is cruel.

Secondly, I make the choice that I don't want religion to play a part in my life. The Muslim thinks it's important for a prayer to be said when the animal is killed and that's fine, I respect their right to hold that opinion; I think it's important for no prayer to be said, and people must respect my opinion in the same way.
Out of interest, if a prayer has been said over an animal then slaughtered for meat, and you are not religious, so what? A prayer is nothing to a non religious person. For my part I don't know how many things I eat, or vehicles I travel in, or buildings I enter, have been prayed over by religious people. And I don't care. Why is it important one way or another? Religious people pray over anything they consider to be significant. Why should it be important for non religious people to avoid places or things that have been subjected to this custom? Prayer does nothing to improve - or to impair - these things.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:14 AM   #34
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Out of interest, if a prayer has been said over an animal then slaughtered for meat, and you are not religious, so what? A prayer is nothing to a non religious person. For my part I don't know how many things I eat, or vehicles I travel in, or buildings I enter, have been prayed over by religious people. And I don't care. Why is it important one way or another? Religious people pray over anything they consider to be significant. Why should it be important for non religious people to avoid places or things that have been subjected to this custom? Prayer does nothing to improve - or to impair - these things.
I'm telling you that it's important to me. That's a fact, not something that can be debated. If you think you can convince me that my own beliefs are irrelevant whilst the beliefs of others are to be respected you're on a hiding to nothing. I prefer not to encourage religious practice, directly or otherwise. You may think differently, as is your right, but remember that your opinion affects only you.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:37 AM   #35
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I'm telling you that it's important to me. That's a fact, not something that can be debated. If you think you can convince me that my own beliefs are irrelevant whilst the beliefs of others are to be respected you're on a hiding to nothing. I prefer not to encourage religious practice, directly or otherwise. You may think differently, as is your right, but remember that your opinion affects only you.
So you are not merely non-religious, but are concerned to suppress even the most mundane and unexceptionable religious practices; and you are unable to debate this stance.

I had not realised you take such a view, and I will say no more on the subject, except that I am relieved that it is not a typical standpoint in this age when tolerance and understanding are valued.

On occasions in the past I have been told by religious believers, when I have been in poor health, that they have prayed for my recovery. In such cases I thank them for their thoughtfulness and good wishes; and I am glad I feel under no ideological obligation to disparage their friendly intentions on the grounds that I attribute no efficacy to their prayers.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:44 AM   #36
baron
Illuminator

So you are not merely non-religious, but are concerned to suppress even the most mundane and unexceptionable religious practices; and you are unable to debate this stance.
What on earth are you talking about? My choice not to eat halal is 'suppressing religious practices'? What a load of nonsense.

I had not realised you take such a view, and I will say no more on the subject, except that I am relieved that it is not a typical standpoint in this age when tolerance and understanding are valued.
Yes, I'm quite surprised that anybody would protest at the right of someone else to choose what food to eat. Luckily most people don't have such authoritarian, intolerant and intrusive views.

On occasions in the past I have been told by religious believers, when I have been in poor health, that they have prayed for my recovery. In such cases I thank them for their thoughtfulness and good wishes; and I am glad I feel under no ideological obligation to disparage their friendly intentions on the grounds that I attribute no efficacy to their prayers.
Well done. If that had any bearing on the topic I'd be tempted to discuss it further, but having people pray for you is unrelated to actively supporting a religious practice. 'I had not realised' this concept would confuse you.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:46 AM   #37
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Kosher meat is slaughtered the exact same way as halal meat. The only difference is the particular prayer that's said during the process.

EDIT: That's why I'm always darkly amused when people like Pamela Geller want to ban halal slaughter methods.

Last edited by A'isha; 18th March 2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:54 AM   #38
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Kosher meat is slaughtered the exact same way as halal meat. The only difference is the particular prayer that's said during the process.
I wouldn't eat Kosher either.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:56 AM   #39
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I bless this thread
Old 18th March 2017, 07:00 AM   #40
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

... Well done. If that had any bearing on the topic I'd be tempted to discuss it further, but having people pray for you is unrelated to actively supporting a religious practice. 'I had not realised' this concept would confuse you.
People praying for other people is unrelated to religious practice, but people praying before they kill a chicken is
religious practice
that you
prefer not to encourage, directly or otherwise.
You had not realised that this would confuse me? That merely adds another mystery to the many conundrums embedded in your philosophical meditations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events