ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:01 AM   #41
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I wouldn't eat Kosher either.
As Darth Rotor indicated, you're missing out.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 07:25 AM   #42
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
As Darth Rotor indicated, you're missing out.
If I can stand missing out on eating bacon, I can stand missing out on Kosher. The willpower involved in the non-eating of bacon is one of the highest human achievements.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:28 AM   #43
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Well done. If that had any bearing on the topic I'd be tempted to discuss it further, but having people pray for you is unrelated to actively supporting a religious practice. 'I had not realised' this concept would confuse you.
People praying for other people is unrelated to religious practice, but people praying before they kill a chicken is
religious practice
that you
prefer not to encourage, directly or otherwise.
You had not realised that this would confuse me? That merely adds another mystery to the many conundrums embedded in your philosophical meditations.
Obvious straw man is obvious.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:39 AM   #44
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Obvious straw man is obvious.
Invisible straw man is invisible.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 01:02 PM   #45
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I just eat whatever's put in front of me. I only prepare food that comes from sources meeting criteria I care about, but I'd never refuse food that was already prepared by someone else on the grounds that it violated those personal standards.

That's just me. My criteria tend to be more about the humanity demonstrated toward the meat-animals when they were living (as well as when killed) than who has said what hocus pocus over them in their last hours. I don't like to give money to farms or companies that enable other inhumane practices. But personal standards are personal standards. Who am i to quibble with anybody? Who are they to quibble with me?

Kum-ba-ya, and all that crap.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 01:10 PM   #46
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just to double check - there hasn't been verification of the account in the opening post?
Old 18th March 2017, 01:58 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Just to double check - there hasn't been verification of the account in the opening post?
My friend's cousin's coworker's boyfriend's former roommate's drug dealer's dog groomer's landlady's kid is in that class and heard the whole thing!
Old 18th March 2017, 02:23 PM   #48
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
This is a story that has been simmering on and off in the Australian media for some time. If it is as reported, then it is pretty disturbing.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3466...-family/#page1

I don't believe it. I think the news agency put out just enough facts to purposefully confuse people so that it would seem like they had a real story.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 02:57 PM   #49
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I just eat whatever's put in front of me. I only prepare food that comes from sources meeting criteria I care about, but I'd never refuse food that was already prepared by someone else on the grounds that it violated those personal standards.

As a tangent, I remember an episode of Top Chef Masters in which the challenge was to prepare a dish using various live insects as an ingredient. One of the chefs was a Buddhist who was willing to cook with animals that other people had killed, but would not kill anything himself. He ended up leaving his insects alive on the plate, in a container that gave the diner the option of killing them themselves and adding them as a garnish, if I'm remembering correctly. Or maybe he just used them as decoration.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 04:52 PM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

More male teachers would help
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 02:13 AM   #51
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
More male teachers would help
Help? As in "make up more plausible sounding ******** to fob off on the gullible"? Would more male teachers prevent biased individuals from making **** up and peddling it to agenda-driven right-leaning news media for Paulina-istas to repeat in their right wing echo chambers?

Sounds like a plan.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 03:48 AM   #52
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Well to be fair I can remember at least two incident of kids which threatened to kill our teacher, and that was waaaay before any islamic terrorism was so in the news. It comes mostly down to kids sometimes being immature and liking making adult uncomfortable (and being sometimes messed up).

So a report that a kid threaten to behead a teacher would not surprise me. it would surprise me if there was not one : young kid are not deaf and can see what makes adult twitch and uneasy and reuse that at the first opportunity to see more adult twitch.

Same as throwing "vagina" or "sado maso" "menstruation" in the middle of a conversation to make everybody uneasy. Not that I ever intentionally did such things mind you.

What I think is disputable and would require verification is that a teacher did indeed quit on that. i doubt it, and if verified : yeah that teach is a weak ass idiot and should not teach.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 04:01 AM   #53
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Of course not.

My sister is the principal of a school in western Sydney, where almost all the students are middle eastern, Pacific Islanders or aborigines. So far she hasn't been threatened with beheading, being eaten or being speared. We will have to get the Murdoch press on to this to find out what she has been doing wrong.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 05:11 AM   #54
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If I can stand missing out on eating bacon, I can stand missing out on Kosher. The willpower involved in the non-eating of bacon is one of the highest human achievements.
How would you feel about serving in the Navy?
Every ship I served aboard had been blessed in a religious service and sprinkled with holy water.
It was repeated every time the ship recommissioned after a refit.

Or is it only meat that counts.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 05:24 AM   #55
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Unsurprisingly, the converse:

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Yeah I'd like to see some further reports before having an opinion.
Your wish is my command
No cases of 'religiously motivated violence' at Punchbowl Public: NSW Education

Quote:
Barrister and Muslim community advocate Bilal Rauf believes "there are some underlying aspects to (Mrs A’s) claims which appear, on the surface, questionable".

"I think there is an element of Punchbowl being unduly targeted,” Mr Rauf told SBS.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 05:25 AM   #56
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

They've been apparently trying to stir up outrage against this one school for years.
The Daily Telegraph has been ranting so hard for years about the "Islamic terrorist crisis" such that their spittle foams and flies around the room when you open the pages. They have condemned hijab as a torture tool which leads inevitably to female genital mutilation for young boys and honest Christian businessmen. They believe Aboriginal Australians, Indians and Maoris who convert to Islam automatically become "Arabs". And even just being in the same room as halal food, their cause celebre, will make you run screaming to get on the next plane to the Middle East and blow yourself up in an airport for the cause of Islam. The Daily Tele is as near as dammit Australia's Breitbart. It's not worth buying to tear it up for ****-paper.

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm starting to suspect her "complaints" were motivated by something else entirely.
I would HIGHLY suspect this "Mrs A" teacher at Punchbowl Primary School does not even exist. This sort of thing is typical of the Daily Tele.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:02 AM   #57
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

... I make the choice that I don't want religion to play a part in my life. The Muslim thinks it's important for a prayer to be said when the animal is killed and that's fine, I respect their right to hold that opinion; I think it's important for no prayer to be said, and people must respect my opinion in the same way.
I don't understand this. If you are an atheist then surely it shouldn't matter to you if they pray or swear like a sailor while preparing the meat or even if they are gagged during the whole process. Isn't is all just words to you? What difference do you think it makes to the quality of the food if somebody exercises their right to free speech while preparing it?

Last edited by psionl0; 19th March 2017 at 06:03 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:22 AM   #58
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I completely believe the story in the OP 100%.

Not because of Muslims but because I wouldn't put anything past primary school kids. They are terrifying.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:29 AM   #59
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My friend's cousin's coworker's boyfriend's former roommate's drug dealer's dog groomer's landlady's kid is in that class and heard the whole thing!
Well, you're closer than me.

This guy on the Internet I don't really knowziz friend's cousin's coworker's boyfriend's former roommate's drug dealer's dog groomer's landlady's kid is in that class and heard the whole thing!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:42 AM   #60
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I don't understand this. If you are an atheist then surely it shouldn't matter to you if they pray or swear like a sailor while preparing the meat or even if they are gagged during the whole process. Isn't is all just words to you? What difference do you think it makes to the quality of the food if somebody exercises their right to free speech while preparing it?
Do you really not understand this? Because it's difficult for me to imagine a more clear statement. I do not wish to support or encourage religious practice. That's it. I could add more, but there is no need. I seriously don't understand how this can be confusing, or cause anybody to believe that I think a prayer affects the taste of the meat.

Actually, I do have an idea. I think that anything that can be seen as criticism of Islam, not matter how innocuously voiced or inoffensive, must be challenged at all costs, no matter how ridiculous the counter argument. If I had said that I do not want my Christian friends to say a blessing before dinner I can guarantee that nobody would accuse me of believing that their blessing would affect the quality of the food. Nor would they have any trouble in understanding why I held the position I did, even if they did not share it. Of course, the analogy can be stretched further, to me personally saying a prayer or indulging in religious practice. After all, it's not like it could have any effect. Here, too, nobody would be confused by my assertions; that sort of affected puzzlement is reserved only for commentary on Islam.

Last edited by baron; 19th March 2017 at 06:43 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:48 AM   #61
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I don't get whay so many people are prescribing how he should feel about this. It's not as if being an atheist somehow makes you think the same way about everything as other atheists.
It's not about the quality of the food, it's about the ritual.
He doesn't want to promote religion, and he feels that kosher and halal food promote religiosity.
People make choices on more than cold logical cost analyses. Does it somehow win a poster skeptic points if they act like mr. Spock every time someone has a like or dislike of something?

ETA: pre-empted by the man himself.

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 19th March 2017 at 06:49 AM.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:51 AM   #62
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'd also wager a Christian that didn't want a Muslim prayer said over his food or vice-versa wouldn't have to explain themselves.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:55 AM   #63
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I don't get whay so many people are prescribing how he should feel about this. It's not as if being an atheist somehow makes you think the same way about everything as other atheists.
It's not about the quality of the food, it's about the ritual.
He doesn't want to promote religion, and he feels that kosher and halal food promote religiosity.
People make choices on more than cold logical cost analyses. Does it somehow win a poster skeptic points if they act like mr. Spock every time someone has a like or dislike of something?
Indeed.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:58 AM   #64
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I'd also wager a Christian that didn't want a Muslim prayer said over his food or vice-versa wouldn't have to explain themselves.
Yes, but in that case, with the odd exception of some CofE Christians, they presumably do believe in a deity.

It's possible to believe that such a deity might be offended by a "blasphemous" prayer.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 07:08 AM   #65
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I personally am fine with baron's decisions. They're his choices, and it's not like they're bothering anyone (though I still think he's missing out on some great food!). It's not like he's advocating that halal and/or kosher food be banned or anything (and he even made it clear that he doesn't right in his very first post on the subject).

I've had my arguments with him in the past, and as JoeBentley said there's certainly a context to objections about halal that the dietary rules of other religions don't have (such as kosher, which has the same rules of animal slaughter as halal). That context for halal, in fact, is how we got onto this tangent in the first places, with "Mrs. A's" hysterical complaints about halal food being served at some special school events.

But there's literally no reason I can see to dogpile baron over what he said, especially considering how he went out of his way to make it clear that he was talking about his own personal choices on the subject and did not object to what anyone else chose.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 07:08 AM   #66
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yes, but in that case, with the odd exception of some CofE Christians, they presumably do believe in a deity.

It's possible to believe that such a deity might be offended by a "blasphemous" prayer.
I think the desire to not want to perpetrate or support* religious mythology should be given the same level of respect.

*To be 100% absolutely across the board clear I am NOT talking about restriction, preventing, or hindering any religious practices in ANY way.
Old 19th March 2017, 07:25 AM   #67
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Do you really not understand this? Because it's difficult for me to imagine a more clear statement. I do not wish to support or encourage religious practice. That's it. I could add more, but there is no need. < ... the more that was added snipped ... >
How far do you want to take this? Is a simple "don't ask, don't tell" policy sufficient or does food have to be certified "prayer free" before you will look at it. Maybe we should bring in the thought police in case somebody is having religious thoughts while preparing the food.
Old 19th March 2017, 07:32 AM   #68
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Come on, everyone. Can we please get back to mocking this idiot newspaper and their fake bigoted stories, and stop with the hassling of baron for his (pretty much unobjectional) personal opinions about food?

Old 19th March 2017, 08:10 AM   #69
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If everyone's okay with it I'll continue this side-discussion in the "Effects of Atheism" thread, as I think it's a logical offshoot of stuff being discussed there.

If anyone objects and wants it spun off into it's own thread PM a Mod and you'll get no complaint from me.
Old 19th March 2017, 02:42 PM   #70
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Kosher meat is slaughtered the exact same way as halal meat. The only difference is the particular prayer that's said during the process.

EDIT: That's why I'm always darkly amused when people like Pamela Geller want to ban halal slaughter methods.
Ignorance must be a truly wonderful thing as so many people choose it gladly!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 02:46 PM   #71
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
In the Netherlands, people like Wilders love to repeat the claim that many teachers dare not teach the Holocaust due to pressure from Muslim students. That claim is only founded on one survey among 300-something teachers, of which only one teacher said he refrained from teaching the Holocaust. Oh, and the students who pressured him were not Muslims, but Neo-Nazis.

So, colour me skeptical about this story as well.
If the students are pressuring the teacher they need to be expelled and, depending on how and the laws involved, arrested!!!!!! And have their Nazi flagpoles stuffed fully up their right wing rectums!!!!! No lube!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 10:14 PM   #72
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
You might be surprised, and in fact this topic is pretty much dealt with in 1st Corinthians 8.

Paul pretty much states that it's not an issue, i.e. it's not of benefit to the Christian, but also not a negative to them. What he cautioned on was being careful not to have others without your knowledge see your actions and fall because of it, though that likely has more of an issue with the exact topic of food offered to idols than halal food, as it's unlikely that seeing a christian eating a kebab is going to make someone fall.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:14 AM   #73
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I bless this thread

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:42 AM   #74
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It certainly seems like there might have been such problems at the school recently.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...ddcd356106a4f9

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/natio...exclusion.html

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:54 AM   #75
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It certainly seems like there might have been such problems at the school recently.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...ddcd356106a4f9

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/natio...exclusion.html
They're actually about a different school entirely (Punchbowl Boys High School, not Punchbowl Public School where "Mrs. A" supposedly taught). I'm not sure if there were additional alleged threats to staff at the high school that NSW Education Department Head Mark Scott was referring to, or if he for some unknown reason got the schools mixed up and is (bizarrely) blaming the principal of the high school for not passing on the supposed threats at the primary school.

EDIT: Aha, found something. This article at The Australian does say there were alleged threats at the high school (which apparently no one, either the administration or the supposed recipients of the threats, reported to police). The article also notes that the high school has been a poor-performing hotbed of drug dealing and violent crime for long enough that barbed wire around the school was only recently removed.

Last edited by A'isha; 20th March 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:49 AM   #76
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I bless this thread
Amen, brother.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:19 PM   #77
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

If I had said that I do not want my Christian friends to say a blessing before dinner I can guarantee that nobody would accuse me of believing that their blessing would affect the quality of the food. Nor would they have any trouble in understanding why I held the position I did, even if they did not share it. Of course, the analogy can be stretched further, to me personally saying a prayer or indulging in religious practice. After all, it's not like it could have any effect. Here, too, nobody would be confused by my assertions; that sort of affected puzzlement is reserved only for commentary on Islam.
But that's not what you were saying. You were saying you wouldn't buy meat from a Muslim butcher because it had been prayed over. Nothing about your Muslim friends blessing your food before dinner. (By the way, do your Muslim friends attempt to perform that ceremony at dinner with you? You're right to say no.)

What you were saying was equivalent to this: I never buy meat from Christian butchers because it might have been prayed over before I bought it. I think that's silly. Who cares?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 12:29 PM   #78
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Who cares?
baron. Why do you care that he cares?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 12:33 PM   #79
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

But that's not what you were saying. You were saying you wouldn't buy meat from a Muslim butcher because it had been prayed over. Nothing about your Muslim friends blessing your food before dinner. (By the way, do your Muslim friends attempt to perform that ceremony at dinner with you? You're right to say no.)

What you were saying was equivalent to this: I never buy meat from Christian butchers because it might have been prayed over before I bought it. I think that's silly. Who cares?
That's not quite the same - prayers are an integral part of Halal and Kosher butchery, but there isn't a specific "Christian" butchery.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:54 PM   #80
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That's not quite the same - prayers are an integral part of Halal and Kosher butchery, but there isn't a specific "Christian" butchery.
I wholly agree. In fact no kind of ritual slaughter is the same as
I do not want my Christian friends to say a blessing before dinner
Quite right too, but why compare butchery with people saying a blessing before dinner?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events