ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Japan history , UK history , World War II history

Old 16th March 2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Hans
Philosopher

Question on the Japanese consultate in London

In WWII when was this closed and where did the Japanese staff go to? (if not to Japan)
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:21 AM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Jeez... I've been waiting hours for someone to pop the answer to this.

No condemnations, never thought about it... just an interesting question.
(World history is vast, we can't get pissy over everything.)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 17th March 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:48 AM   #3
fagin
Illuminator

California? (apologies to Philip K. Dick)
Old 17th March 2017, 05:50 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I always feel like questions like this should come with a brief summary of what sources have already been checked, and what they say.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 06:41 AM   #5
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

If you can find the name of a staff member, you can check to see if they were interned at any of the internment camps on the Isle of Man here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...des/internees/ though the records are not complete.

The Ambassador to the UK, Mamoru Shigemitsu was recalled to Japan in 1941 but so far I haven't found what happened to the staff.

Or you could ask the Japanese Embassy in London if they have any information, or could point you to someone who could answer your question: http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itprtop_en/index.html.

While looking for information I found this article which implies that the UK held some Japanese POWs and swapped them for a couple of British citizens who were in Japan.

My grandfather was interned in Japan and enslaved to build a railway, but unlike many he was lucky enough to survive and return to the UK.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 03:13 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As to when, I presume Dec 7,1941 after Japan bombed Hong Kong and Malaya in addition to Pearl Harbor.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I'd be surprised if anything non-traditional happened to them. Even Hitler honored the traditions and let Allied diplomatic staff leave, but put them up first in hotels. (The Swedes were the mechanism from Germany. There was at least one American who got sealifted out as late as the end of '42.)

Thing is, for Japan (from London), they probably had to get to Lisbon. There was no safe route to Japan from western Europe. I think some of the names that show up in the Peace Party in Berlin, The Vatican and Rome were originally stationed in London, so maybe they just made their ways to the continent and filled various functions there.

To my knowledge no one arrested or imprisoned any diplomatic corps members during the war. There was one nasty incident towards the end of the war where the Japanese troops in Manila attacked the Spanish embassy for some reason, doing all sorts of Japanese Occupation Traditional nastiness, but that's the only one I've heard of.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th March 2017 at 06:33 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 10:20 PM   #8
Hans
Philosopher

Thanks for all the replies and information.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:29 AM   #9
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Thing is, for Japan (from London), they probably had to get to Lisbon. There was no safe route to Japan from western Europe.
Could they have been shipped home through the USSR? The British had viable shipping routes to the USSR throughout the war, but the Soviets were neutral in the Pacific War until the last few weeks.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Could they have been shipped home through the USSR? The British had viable shipping routes to the USSR throughout the war, but the Soviets were neutral in the Pacific War until the last few weeks.
Might have, but by Dec. '41 and early '42, that option was far more limited. Other than pockets of forced neutrality, Germany controlled western Europe, but getting to Moscow might prove a bit difficult. And as I said, I'm pretty sure that some of the diplomates in Europe in '45 were the same as those from '40 and '41. The Japanese didn't have a massive cadre of diplomats to fall back on, and I think keeping them in Europe made sense. The "players" in the so-called "Peace Party" were largely the diplomatic corps in Moscow, Geneva, The Vatican and Berlin.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 01:33 PM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The US staff from Tokyo and the Japanese staff from Washington were exchanged in what is now Mozambique. I assume that was at least tacitly facilitated by Portugal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emba..._States,_Tokyo
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 09:53 PM   #12
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The US staff from Tokyo and the Japanese staff from Washington were exchanged in what is now Mozambique. I assume that was at least tacitly facilitated by Portugal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emba..._States,_Tokyo
Thanks for the info!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts