ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:22 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Build a wall? Not so fast there, cowboy!

Maybe some of them landowners don't want to sell:

Trump border wall: Texans receiving letters about their land

Quote:
Yvette Salinas, a Texan whose ailing mother owns a small parcel of land with her siblings near the Rio Grande was informed by the “Declaration of Taking” letter sent by DOJ that her 1.2 acres was worth $2,900, according to a story in the Texas Observer. She told the Observer that the family’s 16 acres has been in her family for five generations. The government’s letter asks recipients to sign in order to receive compensation, acknowledge that they “do not have an interest” in the case or do not intend to make a claim. It doesn’t really say what landowners should do if, like Salinas, they don’t want to sell their land.

Salinas called the letter “scary” and said “you feel you have to sign.” Her family is consulting a lawyer about its next steps. If other border landowners have the same reluctance to sell as Salinas, the government may have a long battle ahead to secure all the land necessary for the wall, given that the federal government doesn’t own most of it. The nearly 2,000-mile southern border is composed of federal, state, tribal and private lands. There are 632 miles of federal or tribal land -- 33 percent -- and the other 67 percent, most of which is in Texas, is private or state-owned, according to the Government Accountability Office (GAO). The Washington Post points out that the president would need Congress to pass a bill to acquire the tribal lands for his wall.
Landowners who don't want to sell could potentially tie up The Wall in courts for several years. By the time ownership is cleared, Trump might not be president anymore.

This thing's never going to get built. I hope.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

When The Hair fails, the nation succeeds.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 09:52 AM   #3
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Late night tweets about farmers who don't want to MAGA incoming.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

It's unbelievably complex. Nobody knew the US would have to forcibly acquire land in order to build his wall.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:50 AM   #5
C_Felix
Master Poster

We're all smart enough to know the 5th Amendment applies here.

But as Shemp said, "tied up in courts..."
Old 18th March 2017, 11:57 AM   #6
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
When The Hair fails, the nation succeeds.
And when the hair falls, it should be dumped in a long used outhouse and forgotten!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It doesnít really say what landowners should do if, like Salinas, they donít want to sell their land.
That name sounds Latino. I bet she's an undocumented immigrant. Deport her NOW!
Old 18th March 2017, 12:22 PM   #8
elemental
Scholar

I would bet a gigantic amount of money that the majority of people in this position voted for trump. People with property on the border. Sad.
elemental is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Jules Galen
Banned

It's a shame to even talk about a "Wall" because it is a proven FACT that a wall wouldn't be needed.

Eisenhower got rid of the illegals in the 1950's and did it without a wall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 01:07 PM   #10
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I think if we explain to them it's the patriotic thing to do, they'll change their minds.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 01:42 PM   #11
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Landowners who don't want to sell could potentially tie up The Wall in courts for several years. By the time ownership is cleared, Trump might not be president anymore.

When the Channel Tunnel rail link was being planned some municipalities in France apparently bought up land where they didn't want it and then sold it off in lots of very small strips to make the compulsory purchases on that unpreferred route more costly and longer
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 01:56 PM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
When the Channel Tunnel rail link was being planned some municipalities in France apparently bought up land where they didn't want it and then sold it off in lots of very small strips to make the compulsory purchases on that unpreferred route more costly and longer
Antiflux!
Old 18th March 2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I think if we explain to them it's the patriotic thing to do, they'll change their minds.

I think for a lot of "patriots", sacrificing for your country is something they believe other people should do.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 03:28 PM   #14
Garrison
Illuminator

Whenever the border gets discussed on TV they always seem to focus on some piece of barren wilderness in Arizona or Texas and since trump seems to base his 'policies' on whatever he sees on TV he thus doubtless thinks the entire border is uninhabited desert.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:48 PM   #15
logger
Suspended

Its called eminent domain, it won't take years.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 04:56 PM   #16
Brainiac
Thinker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Trump has certainly shown over the years that he is a fan of eminent domain when it suits his business needs (say, when he wants to evict a widow so he can build a parking lot, or when he wants to build a golf course in Scotland), so I'm sure he is counting on using it here. Of course, the courts may have something to say about that.
Brainiac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:09 PM   #17
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Trump has certainly shown over the years that he is a fan of eminent domain when it suits his business needs (say, when he wants to evict a widow so he can build a parking lot, or when he wants to build a golf course in Scotland), so I'm sure he is counting on using it here. Of course, the courts may have something to say about that.
Lol
What do you think the courts are going to say? They kicked out the widows, surely selling a small percentage of property will be easier?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:21 PM   #18
Modified
Philosopher

Lol
What do you think the courts are going to say? They kicked out the widows, surely selling a small percentage of property will be easier?
Trump was forced to build around one of the widows. My understanding is that eminent domain has become more difficult for commercial development, as it should be. That wouldn't be a problem for the wall though.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:26 PM   #19
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Vamos a ver.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 05:26 PM   #20
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Whenever the border gets discussed on TV they always seem to focus on some piece of barren wilderness in Arizona or Texas and since trump seems to base his 'policies' on whatever he sees on TV he thus doubtless thinks the entire border is uninhabited desert.
Exactly.

He does not/can not consider there might be some actual Americans who
do not want to be shoved off their land.

And, then there is the tribal lands.

Trump's relationship history with Native Americans, BAD!
Old 18th March 2017, 06:03 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm finding it amusing that conservatives have been up in arms about government "takings" for quite some years. An example of such takings being the feds tellinig property owners "No, if you rebuild your house on this exposed barrier island, we won't pay you again when it's blown away by the next hurricane." But this kind of takings is apparently just fine.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:54 PM   #22
shemp

You think taking tribal lands is a breeze? This isn't the 19th century anymore.

Last edited by shemp; 18th March 2017 at 06:55 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 07:15 PM   #23
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I presume Mexico will be paying any compensation?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 07:27 PM   #24
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Here's all 1954 Miles of it, in one video...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 07:40 PM   #25
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm finding it amusing that conservatives have been up in arms about government "takings" for quite some years. An example of such takings being the feds tellinig property owners "No, if you rebuild your house on this exposed barrier island, we won't pay you again when it's blown away by the next hurricane." But this kind of takings is apparently just fine.
National security, obviously you don't understand it.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:41 PM   #26
logger
Suspended

You think taking tribal lands is a breeze?
Easy as running a pipeline through it.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:42 PM   #27
logger
Suspended

Actually the very few who don't want it will now be paraded around like old widows having their property stolen from them.
Old 18th March 2017, 07:59 PM   #28
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Actually the very few who don't want it will now be paraded around like old widows having their property stolen from them.
Millions equals "very few" now?

#alternativemath
Old 18th March 2017, 07:59 PM   #29
Garrison
Illuminator

A reply that in no way responds to what I actually posted.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:13 PM   #30
logger
Suspended

A reply that in no way responds to what I actually posted.
Lol
Why don't you just think on it a bit. Besides is there a rule that I have to respond to exactly what you wrote? Can you not carry on a conversation unless you're in complete control of it?
Old 18th March 2017, 08:15 PM   #31
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Millions equals "very few" now?

#alternativemath
Yeah sure, got a link for these "millions"

You do realise we're talking about "property owners"?
Old 18th March 2017, 08:27 PM   #32
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Here's all 1954 Miles of it, in one video...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Cool. Is this a speeded-up panorama from west to east? And how about that Gulf Coast - it looks pretty porous.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 08:30 PM   #33
Garrison
Illuminator

Lol
Why don't you just think on it a bit. Besides is there a rule that I have to respond to exactly what you wrote? Can you not carry on a conversation unless you're in complete control of it?
Expecting your reply to bear some relation to what I posted is controlling is it? I really must stop making the mistake of expecting any coherent arguments from you.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:31 PM   #34
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Eminent, not imminent.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 08:44 PM   #35
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Eminent, not imminent.
DHS has huge latitude to override scads of laws and regulations - perhaps making the "takings" eminent and imminent.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 08:51 PM   #36
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
DHS has huge latitude to override scads of laws and regulations - perhaps making the "takings" eminent and imminent.
Hard to imagine the courts not stepping in.

My suggestion? Landmines. The choice of discriminating nations on a budget.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:52 PM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'll just point out once again what everyone has known about walls from Babylonia onward: they only work if they're manned, every foot of them. Humans are very good at climbing, and everything that has ever been built has also been climbed. Especially quickly if the thing built is not supposed to be climbed.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:54 PM   #38
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Cool. Is this a speeded-up panorama from west to east? And how about that Gulf Coast - it looks pretty porous.
Yeah. To all the above. The wall position is in the middle of each picture.
Most of the mileage is in Texas, El Paso tod Brownsvill is 860 road miles. El Paso to San Diego is 740 road miles. The NM, AZ and CA borders are pretty straight. The Rio Grande aint. The International border is dead center in the middle of that river. Mexico damn sure isn't going to allow it on THEIR side, so the US will have to surrender territory to get it built. Which is going to possibly off a lot of redneck (and non-redneck) fishermen, hunters, rafters, and kayakers, not to mention the extreme leftist photographers who consider the Big Bend and other very picturesque sections to be National Scenic Treasures..?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 09:51 PM   #39
shemp

Easy as running a pipeline through it.
Once again, you evince your complete disconnection from reality.

Old 18th March 2017, 09:57 PM   #40
shemp

Lol
No point in trying to carry on conversation with someone who moves the goalposts on every down.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics