ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Comey

Old 20th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #1
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Countdown to Comey's Firing....

FBI Director James Comey's testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, which pretty much said that the Don was living in lala land about the phone tapping and that they were investigating his election and campaign for Russian influence, how long do you think Comey has got left in the job?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Donal
Illuminator

I'm surprised he's lasted this long. I'm fairly certain Priebus and the other establishment GOP have been protecting him.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Comey being fired would be the dumbest thing the Trump administration could possibly do right now. Which means it's only a matter of time.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:48 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Firing Comey would work as well for Trump as the "Saturday Night Massacre" did for Nixon.
Trump is dumb, but I don't think even he is that dumb.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:51 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Firing Comey would work as well for Trump as the "Saturday Night Massacre" did for Nixon.
Trump is dumb, but I don't think even he is that dumb.
I'm not actually a betting man, so this is rhetorical only, but "wanna bet?"

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:53 PM   #6
elgarak
Illuminator

"You're stuck with me for about 6 1/2 years"

Comey at a cyber conference at Boston college on March 8th.

I'm certain that he made this comment with the confidence that he has enough political protection that POTUS cannot easily remove him.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:13 PM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I thought he would have done it last night.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:14 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I'm not actually a betting man, so this is rhetorical only, but "wanna bet?"
I don't even think Trump would do something that suicidal...unless he actually wants to destroy his presidency.
But you are right that the depths of Trump's stupidity is a unknown factor.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 20th March 2017 at 03:16 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:17 PM   #9
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I don't even think Trump would do something that suicidal...unless he actually wants to destroy his presidency.
My expectation is that 'optics' is considered a challenge rather than a barrier, for these decisions.

The concern wouldn't be "Well we can't fire him because that would look bad," but rather, "What story do we invent that will disgrace Comey so his resignation is cheered by The Base?"

ETA: Putin's strategy is to get the police to raid the target's office and find evidence of bribery, corruption, child trafficking, &c.

Last edited by blutoski; 20th March 2017 at 03:18 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

But you are right that the depths of Trump's stupidity is a unknown factor.
If we've learned anything from 2016, it's to not underestimate the combination of Trump and stupidity.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:27 PM   #11
TheSupermeerkat
Scholar

So during the hearing The Donald actually tweeted "The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process."

Does he not care anymore?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:34 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
My expectation is that 'optics' is considered a challenge rather than a barrier, for these decisions.

The concern wouldn't be "Well we can't fire him because that would look bad," but rather, "What story do we invent that will disgrace Comey so his resignation is cheered by The Base?"

ETA: Putin's strategy is to get the police to raid the target's office and find evidence of bribery, corruption, child trafficking, &c.
Trump's problem is he considers everybody who voted for him a part of "the Base". That is a YUGE error.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:37 PM   #13
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
So during the hearing The Donald actually tweeted "The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process."

I'm sure he does care... what seems probable is that these claims are a test of loyalty.

Recall that rough experiment where subjects were asked to say whether the photos of the Trump or Obama inauguration showed more attendees. The Trump supporters who reported he had a better turnout didn't literally believe it. They were reverse engineering the experiment and interpreting it as a loyalty test.

By the same token, Bannon can get a quantitative and qualitative snapshot of who's loyal by monitoring supportive retweets.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:45 PM   #14
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect they'll leave Comey in place while rubbishing him personally and the FBI generally as Obama's creatures.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:20 PM   #15
TheSupermeerkat
Scholar

I'm sure he does care... what seems probable is that these claims are a test of loyalty....

That sounds rather....paranoid.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:35 PM   #16
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he does care... what seems probable is that these claims are a test of loyalty.

Recall that rough experiment where subjects were asked to say whether the photos of the Trump or Obama inauguration showed more attendees. The Trump supporters who reported he had a better turnout didn't literally believe it. They were reverse engineering the experiment and interpreting it as a loyalty test.

By the same token, Bannon can get a quantitative and qualitative snapshot of who's loyal by monitoring supportive retweets.
Actually, it sounds more Biblical...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:38 PM   #17
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

"Anymore" is superfluous, and the answer is No.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:38 PM   #18
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Who are you going to believed, me or the lying media and your own eyes?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:42 PM   #19
FenerFan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
FBI Director James Comey's testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, which pretty much said that the Don was living in lala land about the phone tapping and that they were investigating his election and campaign for Russian influence, how long do you think Comey has got left in the job?
A quote from a CNN story:
Quote:
"I have no information that supports those tweets," Comey told the committee, adding that the Justice Department, along with the FBI, had no information to support the allegations. Comey said that no president could order a wiretapping operation against a specific American citizen.
I think we are all living a lala land.
The director of the FBI said that the tweets of the current President, which accused the former President of personally ordering a wiretap on him, had no support whatsoever. The tweets were apparently based on an online story the current President read which was about an interview with some writer on TV. The current President also commands a massive military with nuclear bombs and stuff. He also wants to build a big wall to keep all the bad Mexicans out. He's also managed to annoy our two closest allies in Europe by just being himself.
Lala land sucks.
Old 20th March 2017, 07:36 PM   #20
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

We're talking about an administration that has appointed loyalty officers in cabinet agencies to make sure the secretaries don't deviate from Trump's instructions.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:04 PM   #21
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

From what I understand, the CIA and NSA and friends are doing their due diligence, and then some, tapping basically everybody on the planet, with a focus on foreign leaders. Now they can do this without violating the Constitution. So they listen in to all the high Rooskies. But if they detect they are talking to an American, then the 4th Amendment kicks in, and if I understand court-approved practice right, they can record it but may not listen to it unless they get a warrant.

So what's probably happened is all this stuff is locked away in a basement of one of the billion dollar eavesdropping buildings, awaiting the building of enough of a case for them to get a warrant to tap into what may or may not be a treasure of treason. It's probably been unofficially listened to, but they can't do anything and are stuck with a toothless, so far unfulfilled, gossamer "parallel construction" of a legal path of evidence they can get to a judge to get a warrant.

So my bet is that's where things stand at the moment. They have it all, and may know a lot or a little or much may have happened or just a little, and everything is behind the scenes at the moment.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 20th March 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:22 PM   #22
Minoosh
Philosopher

People (not ISF posters in particular, but in general) are conflating at least 3 different claims:

- Through hacking, Russia sought to change the outcome of the election
- Through hacking, Russia sought to undermine the credibility of the electoral process
- Through hacking, Russia actually changed the outcome of the election (electoral process).

And none of this lies within the FBI's jurisdiction, unless U.S. citizens were involved. I don't think DJT is really out on a limb in this tweet. It's generally conceded that Russia did not influence, i.e. hack to change the outcome, of the election itself.

Fourth claim:
- During the campaign, Trump operatives colluded with Russian operatives, interfering in a way possibly detrimental to the United States, and possibly illegal.

Possible fifth claim:
- Donald J. Trump has participated in organized crime - he is a gangster.

I don't even know if I've spelled these out right. "Influence" to me means, "affect the outcome." "Electoral process" is a weasel phrase - narrowly, it could mean just the actual voting; broadly it could include the primaries and the pre-primary season. "Influence" is not a synonym for meddling, manipulating, interfering etc. I haven't watched all of Comey's testimony, but to say very broadly that the FBI is investigating the campaign's ties to Russia is not particularly damning. I know that it smarts, since many blame Comey for Hillary's defeat, but "unseemly," "distasteful," "questionable" are not synonyms for "illegal."

It would be quite a coup - perhaps literally - if one FBI agent managed to damage both candidates irreparably.

ETA: I know this post is garbled in itself and not a paragon of precision. IMO people are going to line up emotionally on this issue - they will either give DJT a pass, or just grow weary of arguments about whether something was in "quote marks" or not. If Trump is brought down I'm convinced it will be over a triviality - a detail that will sour moderates and alienate some of the farther right as well.

Last edited by Minoosh; 20th March 2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Trying to be clearer
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:43 PM   #23
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Actually, it sounds more Biblical...
It can be both, you know. A jealous God? Why? He's God, dammit!

If Trump is clinically paranoid I suspect he'll only get worse as the stress mounts. Twitter may be the only thing keeping him for bursting a blood vessel. (Though it turns out, IIRC, that "venting" is not always beneficial.)
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:28 PM   #24
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
A quote from a CNN story:

I think we are all living a lala land.
The director of the FBI said that the tweets of the current President, which accused the former President of personally ordering a wiretap on him, had no support whatsoever. The tweets were apparently based on an online story the current President read which was about an interview with some writer on TV. The current President also commands a massive military with nuclear bombs and stuff. He also wants to build a big wall to keep all the bad Mexicans out. He's also managed to annoy our two closest allies in Europe by just being himself.
Lala land sucks.
It is even scarier than that. Under laws passed by Congress and vetted by the Supreme Court after 9/11, the President has the right to declare any American citizen an enemy combatant and have them placed under infinite arrest without any recourse to civilian judicial review, without any access to lawyers of their choosing and without access to their families or friends. I am not making this up! If a more knowledgeable member knows better, please tell me. I would love to be corrected but all the mainstream sites I've examined say what I just noted. Unless I am really wrong, Trump can demand you, or me, be arrested tomorrow as providing aid to a terrorist organization and with no proof hold us for the rest or his term, or longer depending who follows.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:50 PM   #25
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That and other tweets of his during the hearing almost give the impression that he had been listening to an entirely different hearing than everyone else.

Unless he didn't listen to it at all and is basing his tweets on his usual sources.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:57 PM   #26
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It's generally conceded that Russia did not influence, i.e. hack to change the outcome, of the election itself.
That is a pretty narrow definition of influence.

In reality, if the leaked DNC emails changed the way that people voted or whether they actually voted at all, and the DNC emails were hacked and leaked to Wikilieaks by Russia, then clearly the Russians influenced the election, even if it might not have been enough to change the results.

What is generally conceded is that it's probably impossible to determine how much of an effect on the voting the leaked emails actually had, and it it changed the result by itself, not whether they actually had an effect at all.

My Apollo Page.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:20 AM   #27
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I'm surprised he's lasted this long. I'm fairly certain Priebus and the other establishment GOP have been protecting him.
Why? They hate him for Libby. I think it is trump being glad about Comeys help with winning the election by the BS he was spouting about emails right before it.

Now that he has stopped backing Trump he is going to be gone quick. Trump will not tolerate this disloyalty.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:22 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It is shocking. I never expected him to watch something as boring as a hearing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:26 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
People (not ISF posters in particular, but in general) are conflating at least 3 different claims:

- Through hacking, Russia sought to change the outcome of the election
- Through hacking, Russia sought to undermine the credibility of the electoral process
- Through hacking, Russia actually changed the outcome of the election (electoral process).

And none of this lies within the FBI's jurisdiction, unless U.S. citizens were involved. I don't think DJT is really out on a limb in this tweet. It's generally conceded that Russia did not influence, i.e. hack to change the outcome, of the election itself.
US citizens were involved, the DNC was comprised of them.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:08 AM   #30
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It is even scarier than that. Under laws passed by Congress and vetted by the Supreme Court after 9/11, the President has the right to declare any American citizen an enemy combatant and have them placed under infinite arrest without any recourse to civilian judicial review, without any access to lawyers of their choosing and without access to their families or friends. I am not making this up! If a more knowledgeable member knows better, please tell me. I would love to be corrected but all the mainstream sites I've examined say what I just noted. Unless I am really wrong, Trump can demand you, or me, be arrested tomorrow as providing aid to a terrorist organization and with no proof hold us for the rest or his term, or longer depending who follows.
Not that bad, but still bad enough. See Hamdi vs Rumsfeld, especially timeline summary of later judgments. As far as I can tell, it's expats who can still fear a bag over their heads anytime a goosestepper sneezes on foundational democratic principles.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:17 AM   #31
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Sure, if the US military captures us on a battlefield. That legal doctrine doesn't apply anywhere else. If you stay out a half-dozen countries or so, it can't happen to you.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:35 AM   #32
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Sure, if the US military captures us on a battlefield. That legal doctrine doesn't apply anywhere else. If you stay out a half-dozen countries or so, it can't happen to you.
And in those half-dozen countries, probably the nicest thing that could happen to an American is to get arrested!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:36 AM   #33
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is shocking. I never expected him to watch something as boring as a hearing.

I'm not sure he did. He has people for that.

Fox News, Breitbart ...
Old 21st March 2017, 08:21 AM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That is a pretty narrow definition of influence.

In reality, if the leaked DNC emails changed the way that people voted or whether they actually voted at all, and the DNC emails were hacked and leaked to Wikilieaks by Russia, then clearly the Russians influenced the election, even if it might not have been enough to change the results.

What is generally conceded is that it's probably impossible to determine how much of an effect on the voting the leaked emails actually had, and it it changed the result by itself, not whether they actually had an effect at all.
I agree 100 percent with the fhighlighted part since there are countless factors why some people voted for Trump, probably many that those voters themselves weren't aware of. Also people aren't honest even sometimes when they think they are.

That said, I have ZERO doubt that without the nonstop focus on Hillary's emails right up to and including Comey's letter 2 weeks before the election, there is no way that Trump wins.

Can I prove this? No, not even close. So I don't blame anyone especially on a skeptic's forum to necessarily agree. There are just some things you know.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:50 AM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
That is why I will never go to Italy.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:12 AM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't expect Comey to be fired, because of the following insane/inane conspiracy theory.

Trump had something on Comey before the election made it clear that it would come out if he didn't sabotage Hillary just before the election. Unfortunately, he or someone on the team failed to cover their tracks and now Comey has documentary evidence of it. Trump fires Comey, he releases that.

(/conspiracy theory)
Old 21st March 2017, 11:56 AM   #37
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I don't expect Comey to be fired, because of the following insane/inane conspiracy theory.

Trump had something on Comey before the election made it clear that it would come out if he didn't sabotage Hillary just before the election. Unfortunately, he or someone on the team failed to cover their tracks and now Comey has documentary evidence of it. Trump fires Comey, he releases that.

(/conspiracy theory)
Not too shabby. Sign me up for a beanie.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:07 PM   #38
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump often has a way of always picking the worst option in about any given choice of options, and yet his bands mindless followers always love him for it.

Therefore, I will not predict that Trump will fire Comey or not, even though I am very sure that Trump would love to fire Comey.

However, I will predict that whatever Trump does do in relation to the Comey issue, that it will be the worst thing that Trump can do in relation to the Comey issue.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:17 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Trump often has a way of always picking the worst option in about any given choice of options, and yet his bands mindless followers always love him for it.

Therefore, I will not predict that Trump will fire Comey or not, even though I am very sure that Trump would love to fire Comey.

However, I will predict that whatever Trump does do in relation to the Comey issue, that it will be the worst thing that Trump can do in relation to the Comey issue.
How is this practically different from saying that whatever Trump does, you will declare it the worst thing, and anyone who disagrees with you one of Trump's mindless followers?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:31 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by jsfisher; 23rd March 2017 at 05:59 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics