ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th November 2018, 07:24 PM   #41
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Perhaps; but if there have been, I can't think of any cases; all of the attacks I can think of wherein it was reported that the attacker shouted something, it was always something relevant.

On the other hand, nazi and Trump-supporter violence and attempted violence is freshly in the news and on everyone's mind. It is highly improbable that the specific references to Hitler and Trump in the shouts did not steer peoples' reactions to them in this incident.
Kenneth, what's the frequency?

Legitimate question, as it turns out... if you're insane. I'm sure anyone hearing someone simply asking that question wouldn't try to get out of harm's way, right?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 07:43 PM   #42
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How sad that American society is at the point where the default assumption when someone starts shouting is that the next step is for them to start shooting.
I don't care where you are. Nothing good happens after someone yells "Heil Hitler". You can't go wrong running for an exit or cover in that situation.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 07:54 PM   #43
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If the audience was armed he could have been shot dead and then check to see if he had a weapon.
Old 17th November 2018, 08:09 PM   #44
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If the audience was armed he could have been shot dead and then check to see if he had a weapon.
It's Baltimore. He was more in danger of being taken for a re-education ride in a paddy wagon.

There are about five local ordinances he could've been arrested for. They elected not to, but we are talking about the Baltimore P.D., not really known for their restraint, so I'm impressed by their "Go home, Otis and sober up" Mayberry RFD* action.

*Although Sheriff Andy would actually lock Otis up - for certain meanings of "lock", of course.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 08:50 PM   #45
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My impression from reading the news is that Baltimore PD is hard on blacks and soft on whites. Maybe this is just more of that.
Old 17th November 2018, 09:01 PM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Imagine the response if the shout had been "Allahu Akbar". Jesus Christ, we all know that that comes right before murder and mayhem.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:47 PM   #47
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Kenneth, what's the frequency?

Legitimate question, as it turns out... if you're insane. I'm sure anyone hearing someone simply asking that question wouldn't try to get out of harm's way, right?
In fairness, as I understand it, the guy only asked that question after he started pounding on Dan Rather. But either way, that definitely wasn't a public mass-violence incident.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 02:52 AM   #48
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Why do I suspect some parodies of songs from Fidldler on the Roof are going to come out of this?
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Where is that little kike she married?
Was it a step too far to cast Trump as Tevye?
Old 19th November 2018, 03:57 AM   #49
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
As I've said in a similar case, this merely makes me think the perp should be punished more harshly.
Punished for what? Since when has shouting in a theatre been illegal?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events