ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old Today, 08:30 PM   #1881
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
I don't think the vast majority of trans people want separate mens and womens changing rooms.
Why wouldn't they? In most cases, trans people aren't trying to erase gender differences, they're trying to become the other gender. Gender differences have to be maintained in order for that change to mean anything.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:38 PM   #1882
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Meadmaker, I like your three question framework (and my answers would be similar to yours), but I do think that after the first question is answered, if the answer is yes, then there is a follow up question which is "Which spaces and under what circumstances should that segregation occur?"

I think reasonable people will also disagree about those answers. For instance, I could be more easily convinced that there's no need to sex-segregate toilets than that we shouldn't segregate changing rooms.

But I do think you are right that it's important to answer those three questions first before getting into the details.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events